HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Six teams in running for Sundin

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2008, 10:40 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 28 View Post
Ok guys check this out...

Vancouver Signs Sundin for 41 games...5mil
Montreal Signs Sundin for 41 games...5mil.

Basically we can share sundin. Everyones happy?

4 games for Van, 4 games for MTL, 4 games for Van etc....
Ah yes, the mormon compromise. I'm in.

Old
07-30-2008, 10:46 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
If you're the Rangers you move Drury....

Give Sundin the same contract over 2 years boom, good upgrade... and you won't be so tied up in Cap room for so long.
If I'm any team interested in Sundin I think I take Drury.

At least he has won, he is a proven winner, he is younger and is a great two way player. At the same price he is the better option, trade him to Montreal and you can take Sundin...because we know you need to make cap space and we aren't giving you the farm for him!

Old
07-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Tleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Barry said it was 3 other AMERICAN teams. Although your right...if Edmonton did get Sundin, they would be my pick in the West.
No - he really didn't. Pratt or Taylor stated "American teams" and he said "Yeah" but it was in a really weird way. As he also stated that the other teams didn't want the scrutiny I'm sure he wouldn't have said if there were Canadian teams involved - that would be giving away too much info.

Old
07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleve View Post
No - he really didn't. Pratt or Taylor stated "American teams" and he said "Yeah" but it was in a really weird way. As he also stated that the other teams didn't want the scrutiny I'm sure he wouldn't have said if there were Canadian teams involved - that would be giving away too much info.
Wasn't it stated by Sundin or specualted by the press that Sundin wanted to stay in Canada and the Eastern Conference?

If so that would mean to me that Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto are the front runners...all 3 teams have cap space over the American NHL teams in NY Rangers and Flyers, and also ruling out Western based Canucks.

It's between the Habs and Leafs in my opinion.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Wasn't it stated by Sundin or specualted by the press that Sundin wanted to stay in Canada and the Eastern Conference?

If so that would mean to me that Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto are the front runners...all 3 teams have cap space over the American NHL teams in NY Rangers and Flyers, and also ruling out Western based Canucks.

It's between the Habs and Leafs in my opinion.
Heard it a hundred times, still waiting on the link. Funny thing, no one has been able to produce one that isn't just speculation on behalf of the writer.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
voxel

Did anybody think Hossa would sign with Detroit?

Sundin is probably going to re-sign with the Leafs for 2-years then retire after the first year. Toronto will be stuck with his cap hit because of his age.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Rover*

The canucks just make too much sense for sundin. I can see him going back to toronto or going to someone like the rangers, but I could never picture him going to montreal, cause that would almost be as classless as bertuzzi/moore and I don't think sundin is like that.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
If I'm any team interested in Sundin I think I take Drury.

At least he has won, he is a proven winner, he is younger and is a great two way player. At the same price he is the better option, trade him to Montreal and you can take Sundin...because we know you need to make cap space and we aren't giving you the farm for him!
no thanks i'd rather keep our Next Captain. plus Drury has a full NMC, i dont think he wants to be traded away from his childhood team.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
He said there's 6 teams interested in Sundin. Not that Sundin is interested in all 6 of them. I still think the 3 Canadian teams are by far the favourite. But there are teams with cap room and holes in offense that probably are throwing offers his way.
exactly, teams interested may very well not be in the hunt at all. If Sundin is interested in only two or three of theses teams we're back to where we were before the Barry interview.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
there are only 2 possible ways Sundin signs with New York

1--Mats signs for League Minimum
2--Drury/Gomez get traded

With that said. Sundin will either be a Canuck or Hab in the long run.
I wonder if Lowe would still have interest in Gomez? Edm would have to send back a lot of salary as well to get Gomez.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Forever27

He won't come to Vancouver. He doesn't want to travel.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Did anybody think Hossa would sign with Detroit?

Sundin is probably going to re-sign with the Leafs for 2-years then retire after the first year. Toronto will be stuck with his cap hit because of his age.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in this case, couldn't the Leafs arrange to trade him to a team well below the cap floor right before he puts his retirement papers in? Seems a $10 million cap hit without any money behind it might be awfully enticing to a few teams around the league.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

If Drury would waive his NMC to clear room for Sundin, I could see Sather giving him a 1 year deal and chasing Hossa or Gaborik next season, or possibly a two year deal and praying Kovalchuk hits the open market.

However, I highly, highly doubt either he or Gomez are going anywhere. If Sundin winds up on the Rangers, I'll be extremely surprised.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Ah yes, the mormon compromise. I'm in.
Nice.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
I wonder if Lowe would still have interest in Gomez? Edm would have to send back a lot of salary as well to get Gomez.
i'd honestly rather have Gomez than Sundin, and Sather is building the team around those two players so unless we are getting Hemsky+ the other way Gomez is going no where.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Our buddy Eklund has NY Rangers and Montreal as the finalists for Sundin. I Guess he picked one and his dog picked the other? With that said Vancouver will get Sundin.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:34 PM
gurfling

I am just throwing this out there, but what about Phoenix? From what I understand they are well under the cap, and could use a guy like Sundin to both help with their young players and make them a very solid team.

Old
07-30-2008, 11:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
That would defeat the purpose of the Rangers trading a big salary. They'd be trying to move salary to sign Sundin, not take on more to replace Gomez's contract.

Drury/Gomez would be traded for high picks and/or young, cheap talent. Probably to a team that needs to add a contract to hit the cap floor or is looking for some veteran leadership.

I still don't really like the idea of moving Drury or Gomez to sign another aging veteran.. seems like the opposite of what the Rangers are trying to do. It'd be a very hard sell for me, unless the trade was too good to pass up; i.e. some ridiculous deal like Frolov/Brown + LA's first for Drury, Prucha + Rangers 1st.

Naslund - Sundin - Dawes/Brown
Frolov/Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev

..I suppose I could live with that.

And yes, I realize that is an absurd trade.

Old
Hi-wayman

Well, if true about US teams, the Islanders, the Predators & the Avalanche could easily match Vancouver's $10 million offer while the Thrashers, the Kings and the Coyotes have the cap space to better Vancouver's offer.

Old
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurfling View Post
I am just throwing this out there, but what about Phoenix? From what I understand they are well under the cap, and could use a guy like Sundin to both help with their young players and make them a very solid team.
Phx is losing quite a bit of money as far as I know. They're a cap floor team by choice.

Old
07-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever27 View Post
He won't come to Vancouver. He doesn't want to travel.
If he were 16-20 years old and going to the WHL, he could be worried about traveling Western Canada on a bus.

This is the NHL. Teams travel on chartered planes. There isn't a flight longer than 4-6 hours in the league, and those are rare. Using travel as an excuse to not go to a Western Conference team is simply weak.

Old
07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Macke*

Drury has a NMC?

Damn... I thought NTC at most.

But damnit, it should be the other way around, Gomez with the NMC, Drury with the part NTC.

Old
07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Randall Graves*

Ducks will dump Schneider and Marchant, then sign Selanne and Sundin each to 1 MM contracts...HFBoards then nukes itself.

Old
07-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Ducks will dump Schneider and Marchant, then sign Selanne and Sundin each to 1 MM contracts...HFBoards then nukes itself.
Keep dreaming.

Old
07-31-2008, 12:29 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Drury has a NMC?

Damn... I thought NTC at most.

But damnit, it should be the other way around, Gomez with the NMC, Drury with the part NTC.
doesnt matter, neither will get traded or asked to waive there clauses as long as Renny is head coach IMO.

Closed Thread