HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nedved will attend NYR training camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
  #151
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94
 
HeaveHo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY NEW YORK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
lol. This guy wont go away.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
  #152
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Oh my god, this thread is insane. He was invited to camp, not signed to a contract of any kind!

For all we know, Nedved's just trying to get his foot in the door with the team to angle for a coaching or scouting position. If he goes out there and provides some direction and guidance for players in camp, maybe the team actually gives it a thought.
Nedved can "get his foot in the door" another way....

Do we really want a 37 year old taking playing time from a kid in camp? I don't know why this is looked at as a no risk/high reward sort of move...

I'd love to hear what people think Nedved can contribute to the Rangers if he makes the team?

Isn't this the same player who couldn't make a bad flyers team two years ago? Isn't this the same player the board had a fit about when the Rangers were thinking about claiming him on recall waivers?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:32 PM
  #153
vladmyir111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,860
vCash: 822
Hey come on now guys....


If it wasn't for Nedved we all wouldn't have that great MSG montage clip of him breaking the behind the goal camera with his patented 9 foot wide wrist shot.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:35 PM
  #154
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Look at the bright side, If we were the Islanders Nedved wouldn't be getting a tryout, he would become our new GM.... relax people its an invite to camp..

And for all the Nedved haters, just take a look at his numbers as a Ranger, he was a good player for us, i'd give anything for another 20-30 goal scorer in this lineup we have now... (no I'm not claiming nedved is still a 20-30 goal guy, he was for us when he was here though)

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:40 PM
  #155
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Hey come on now guys....


If it wasn't for Nedved we all wouldn't have that great MSG montage clip of him breaking the behind the goal camera with his patented 9 foot wide wrist shot.
Yeah, i hated that 9 foot wide wrist shot that got us 20+ goals a year 5 years in a row, on a team that sucked! What a bum!

Now a days we need to spend between 6 and 8 million a yr to pick up 20+ goal scorers, as drury, shanny and jagr were the only ones on the team to break 20 last yr, and no one reached 30

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:48 PM
  #156
Shark Staal
Woah
 
Shark Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vermont
Country: Germany
Posts: 16,609
vCash: 500
Im kind of hoping he gets a spot on the team, i've always liked the guy, but the situation is still pretty funny.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:13 PM
  #157
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I hope Nedved makes the team.
Yeah, well...ignorance is bliss as the saying goes.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
  #158
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,243
vCash: 500
Awesome. #93 is one of my all time favorite NYR players. He caught too much flack on a bad team where he was the typically the number one target to shut down. Look at his career stats on the Rangers. He's worth it. Not for a huge contract but if he legitimately gets a spot let him play. The guy has a ton of talent.

Like I said though, for a guy who had more goal than any other Ranger over the same period that he was on the team, he receives a ton of flack. All of this "Just Wide Nedved" stuff is ridiculous. When he leads the team in goals over the same period and was good for 20 - 30 goals, occasionally scoring 30+ goals with 60 - 70 points in a period where it was harder to score, people need to find better stuff to complain about. I would have taken him in his prime miles in front of Gomez.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:31 PM
  #159
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,598
vCash: 500
Looks to me that looking at Nedved could mean that the Rangers intend to play both Dubi and Drury in the top six, with Drury, (my guess), being the more likely candidate to move to the wing. And, if that's the case, unless AA comes up big, regardless of whether Nedved somehow makes the team or not, the Rangers would still be looking for a 3rd line center. I doubt they see Fritsche or Rissmiller as a 3rd line center candidate.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
  #160
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Looks to me that looking at Nedved could mean that the Rangers intend to play both Dubi and Drury in the top six, with Drury, (my guess), being the more likely candidate to move to the wing. And, if that's the case, unless AA comes up big, regardless of whether Nedved somehow makes the team or not, the Rangers would still be looking for a 3rd line center. I doubt they see Fritsche or Rissmiller as a 3rd line center candidate.
How do you think they will get his third line center?

They have no cap room to add one and Nedved can't be looked at as a legit option...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
  #161
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,474
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Ummmmm

Drury - Gomer - Z
Näslund - Nedved - Shanny (omg the old tortises)
Dawes - Dubinsky - Fritsche
Rissmiller - Betts - Voros

13/14 Sjo, Orr

Cally + Prucha dealt for prospects/picks

I dread to wake up to this
But it could happen...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
  #162
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
How do you think they will get his third line center?

They have no cap room to add one and Nedved can't be looked at as a legit option...
I'm seeing at least $1.6 million of available cap space when I look at the roster...heck...there's another $587,000 here, $840,000 there...plenty of places to gain available cap space.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 06:04 PM
  #163
GarretJoseph
Registered User
 
GarretJoseph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,371
vCash: 500
I'd welcome him back if he plays well.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
  #164
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Wow Petr Nedved huh? Well I could think of worse players to invite to camp so I don't mind this that much. He doesn't have a contract and if he gets one it means he earned it so i'm fine with it. I always made fun of him for being soft (he was) but I don't think it's fair to blame those teams on him. He was a very good 2nd line center that was forced into a 1st line center position on this team because he was our best and only option. Since he failed to put up 1st line numbers fans got on him and some players did too (Quintal). Bottom line is I don't think he didn't try, like another poster said, if it wasn't for Petr we woulda been a lot worse. Good player at a bad time in Ranger history.

My other question now raised is how many centers are we going to have on this team? Nedved if he makes it is a natural center, Sundin if he signs is a natural center. Betts only plays center, Dubinsky plays center. We all feel like we need another winger yet Sather is after a center obviously. I'm no expert but it seems like the writing is on the wall for one of Gomez or Drury for obvious cap and roster issues. I said it before and I will say it again, too much turnover for a team that was close to the ECF. Nedved, Shanahan, Sundin, oh my.

Radek27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
  #165
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 15,217
vCash: 500
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Nedved can "get his foot in the door" another way....

Do we really want a 37 year old taking playing time from a kid in camp? I don't know why this is looked at as a no risk/high reward sort of move...

I'd love to hear what people think Nedved can contribute to the Rangers if he makes the team?

Isn't this the same player who couldn't make a bad flyers team two years ago? Isn't this the same player the board had a fit about when the Rangers were thinking about claiming him on recall waivers?
My thought is that if he actually earns it over a youngster then we have deeper problems than a 37 year old player making the team and would then have to seriously question the kids we have in the system.

the upside is that we have a player that would know what decision to make in pretty much any and every game situation where a kid may hesitate and make a mistake.

I seriously doubt he makes the team, but wouldn't have a problem if he did, just as much as I wouldn't have a problem is a kid forced him out the door on day one of camp.

There is absolutly no downside here.

If he makes the team it's because he earned it and a youngster couldn't beat him out. If he doesn't make it, it's because a youngster showed him the door.

Where exactly is the downside? Other than the possibility of our youth being up-staged and out-performed by an old man and then again the serious question would be with our youth and not with the decision to allow a 37 year old to camp

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:23 PM
  #166
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
Maybe it's time to dig up threads from the previous two years to laugh at all the Chicken Littles screaming how the yoots would be rooned because because Mark Smith/Anders Ericcson/Andrew Hutchinson were in camp.....

bmoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 09:29 PM
  #167
Ih8theislanders
Registered User
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,295
vCash: 500
No biggie, if he doesen't make it, no loss, if he does, it can only help us.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:02 AM
  #168
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
He is a major defensive liability. Did nothing with the Flyers, what makes him think he can do something now. While we are at it, why don't we ask Leetch and Messier if they want to come to camp for a tryout, I bet they would have a better chance to make the team then Nedved.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
  #169
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,328
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
My thought is that if he actually earns it over a youngster then we have deeper problems than a 37 year old player making the team and would then have to seriously question the kids we have in the system.

the upside is that we have a player that would know what decision to make in pretty much any and every game situation where a kid may hesitate and make a mistake.

I seriously doubt he makes the team, but wouldn't have a problem if he did, just as much as I wouldn't have a problem is a kid forced him out the door on day one of camp.

There is absolutly no downside here.

If he makes the team it's because he earned it and a youngster couldn't beat him out. If he doesn't make it, it's because a youngster showed him the door.

Where exactly is the downside? Other than the possibility of our youth being up-staged and out-performed by an old man and then again the serious question would be with our youth and not with the decision to allow a 37 year old to camp
Very well said.

And if indeed he is looking for, "a few minutes on the third or fourth line" like he said, is that going to really set a younger player back? Rather have them playing big minutes in Hartford than a few minutes in the NHL.

But what it all comes down to is if a young player wants to play in the NHL, win the job. Beat out this soft, over-the-hill, never-was, dipsy-doodle, vile 37 year old.

In fact, it doesn't sound all that hard.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:25 AM
  #170
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
My thought is that if he actually earns it over a youngster then we have deeper problems than a 37 year old player making the team and would then have to seriously question the kids we have in the system.

the upside is that we have a player that would know what decision to make in pretty much any and every game situation where a kid may hesitate and make a mistake.

I seriously doubt he makes the team, but wouldn't have a problem if he did, just as much as I wouldn't have a problem is a kid forced him out the door on day one of camp.

There is absolutly no downside here.

If he makes the team it's because he earned it and a youngster couldn't beat him out. If he doesn't make it, it's because a youngster showed him the door.

Where exactly is the downside? Other than the possibility of our youth being up-staged and out-performed by an old man and then again the serious question would be with our youth and not with the decision to allow a 37 year old to camp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Very well said.

And if indeed he is looking for, "a few minutes on the third or fourth line" like he said, is that going to really set a younger player back? Rather have them playing big minutes in Hartford than a few minutes in the NHL.

But what it all comes down to is if a young player wants to play in the NHL, win the job. Beat out this soft, over-the-hill, never-was, dipsy-doodle, vile 37 year old.

In fact, it doesn't sound all that hard.
+1

some voices of reason in this thread......

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:00 AM
  #171
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I'd love to hear what people think Nedved can contribute to the Rangers if he makes the team?
But he's not going to make the team out of camp. Everyone knows that.

However, if you're in late October and Gomez goes down with a season ending injury, or at some point, Dubinsky becomes that centerpiece of a trade that doesn't return a center, maybe the Rangers are better off having auditioned Nedved as a possible emergency roster filler. You put him in camp and gauge him against your other options, then you're able to make an informed choice when it's time to go for one of those options, or eliminate him as an option altogether.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:41 AM
  #172
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
But he's not going to make the team out of camp. Everyone knows that.

However, if you're in late October and Gomez goes down with a season ending injury, or at some point, Dubinsky becomes that centerpiece of a trade that doesn't return a center, maybe the Rangers are better off having auditioned Nedved as a possible emergency roster filler. You put him in camp and gauge him against your other options, then you're able to make an informed choice when it's time to go for one of those options, or eliminate him as an option altogether.

geez.... this is the thread from he 11.

all of a sudden petr nedved is relevant to this teams success in any way at any time this season? just because it cant hurt to have him in camp, doesnt mean its a good idea. cant hurt does not equal can help.

what we DONT need is more euro softy figure skater types who pass first and shoot umm.... like 10th and whom have been away from nhl competition for 2 years.

and what exactly does his skating in camp have to do with his ability to play later in the season.... like hes gonna just sit around, in tip top shape, waiting for us to call him? the whole thing is silly. emergency roster fill.... um, hello.. hartford maybe? draft picks, youth in the system, give them a chance to contribute perhaps. or hey, how about the like 50 3rd/4th line guys we signed this off season- maybe they can earn a paycheck perhaps?

but noooo, we gotta look to petr efin nedved of all people. like hes gonna be better than what we already have?

he must have pictures of slats and renney dressed in skirts and heels..... its has to be.

oh, and if we trade dubi ill be totally bummed.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:12 AM
  #173
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
emergency roster fill.... um, hello.. hartford maybe?
Listen, I'm not advocating anything Petr Nedved. I'm just trying to rationalize why he would be allowed to come to camp instead of *****ing about it as if he's going to be some detriment to the other 50 players that are there. I don't know any more than you do and you don't have to agree with me. Let's hear YOUR theory if you don't.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:16 AM
  #174
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,304
vCash: 500
Awards:
A good, experienced body for camp. Maybe he can teach the kids a few things. He's not making the team, obviously, but having him in camp can't hurt.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
  #175
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,277
vCash: 500
^^^^

but that is the thing......it is totally irrational....just like the signing of rissmiller unless there is another trade

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.