HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Predators Ink Jerred Smithson to Two-Year Extension

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
  #1
SR
Registered User
 
SR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,689
vCash: 500
Predators Ink Jerred Smithson to Two-Year Extension

Nashville, Tenn. – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed forward Jerred Smithson to a two-year, $1.475 million contract extension. Smithson, who was already under contract for the 2008-09 season, will make $725,000 in 2009-10 and $750,000 in 2010-11.

Smithson, 29 (2/4/79), established career highs in games played (81), goals (7) and points (16) in 2008-09, in addition to tying a personal best in assists (9). The Vernon, B.C., native also attained career highs in average time on ice (12:04), shots (61), hits (128) and blocked shots (44) last season, leading all Nashville forwards in average shorthanded time on ice (2:43) and hits. The 6-3, 194-pound center registered a point on five of the club’s seven shorthanded goals (2g-3a) in 2007-08, good for second on the franchise’s single-season shorthanded scoring list.

A free-agent signee of the Predators on July 22, 2004, Smithson has amassed 45 points (17g-28a) in 241 games since making his NHL debut with Los Angeles on Dec. 29, 2002, and has played in 14 of Nashville’s past 16 playoff games dating back to the 2006 postseason.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
  #2
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Nashville, Tenn. – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed forward Jerred Smithson to a two-year, $1.475 million contract extension. Smithson, who was already under contract for the 2008-09 season, will make $725,000 in 2009-10 and $750,000 in 2010-11.

Smithson, 29 (2/4/79), established career highs in games played (81), goals (7) and points (16) in 2008-09, in addition to tying a personal best in assists (9). The Vernon, B.C., native also attained career highs in average time on ice (12:04), shots (61), hits (128) and blocked shots (44) last season, leading all Nashville forwards in average shorthanded time on ice (2:43) and hits. The 6-3, 194-pound center registered a point on five of the club’s seven shorthanded goals (2g-3a) in 2007-08, good for second on the franchise’s single-season shorthanded scoring list.

A free-agent signee of the Predators on July 22, 2004, Smithson has amassed 45 points (17g-28a) in 241 games since making his NHL debut with Los Angeles on Dec. 29, 2002, and has played in 14 of Nashville’s past 16 playoff games dating back to the 2006 postseason.
The baby faced assassin.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
  #3
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The baby faced assassin.
As named by our friend, Tubby Terrion...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:30 PM
  #4
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,559
vCash: 500
Skates like a deer

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
  #5
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 12,632
vCash: 500
Decent PK'er, solid in the face-off circle, and a good energy player. Problem is, Trotz sometimes uses energy players as top six forwards. (Yes, Vernon Fiddler, I'm looking squarely at you.)

Personally I don't have a problem with the signing, just the timing of it. Why not wait until the end of the year, take the two grinders that played the best hockey and give them extensions and let everyone else walk?

I guess this spells the end for Ortmeyer and Fiddler. It'll be Bonk or Nichol in the 4th line center slot in 09-10.


Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 07-31-2008 at 07:30 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
  #6
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 31,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
As named by our friend, Tubby Terrion...
Yep.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
  #7
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Decent PK'er, solid in the face-off circle, and a good energy player. Problem is, Trotz sometimes uses energy players as top six forwards. (Yes, Vernon Fiddler, I'm looking squarely at you.)

Personally I don't have a problem with the signing, just the timing of it. Why not wait until the end of the year, take the two grinders that played the best hocke and give them extensions and let everyone else walk?

I guess this spells the end for Ortmeyer and Fiddler. It'll be Bonk or Nichol in the 4th line center slot in 09-10.
Yes, yes and yes. I'd guess that Ortmeyer might not make it through the preseason in a Preds uniform and Rich Peverly takes over from Fiddler at year end.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 07:34 PM
  #8
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 19,180
vCash: 500
I'd take Smithson over Ortmeyer.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 07:56 PM
  #9
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 12,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Yes, yes and yes. I'd guess that Ortmeyer might not make it through the preseason in a Preds uniform and Rich Peverly takes over from Fiddler at year end.
I don't know about Peverley taking a spot from a guy with a one-way contract, but I could see him in Nashville at least once, and if there's a major injury he's the guy we call up.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:19 PM
  #10
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
To be clear, by "at year end" I mean at season's end not 12.31.07. I think Fids is a FA at the end of the season and my guess is that he moves on and Peverly moves in-- thus the 1 way deal for Pevs for the 09-10 season.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:51 PM
  #11
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
To be clear, by "at year end" I mean at season's end not 12.31.07. I think Fids is a FA at the end of the season and my guess is that he moves on and Peverly moves in-- thus the 1 way deal for Pevs for the 09-10 season.
Agreed, Peverley replaces Fiddler beginning no later than the 2009-10 season.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:00 AM
  #12
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,559
vCash: 500
You honestly think that Trotz and Poile will let go a talent like Vernon Fiddler?

As much loving as Vernon has gotten over the years?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:34 PM
  #13
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 19,180
vCash: 500
The loved Ronning, Fitzgerald and Johnson too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.