HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Vermette signed, 2 years, 5.525M

Old
07-31-2008, 11:40 AM
TCIH

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
His agent must have been asleep. Why would he sign a contract for 2 years at that price?
Sees promise in the current state of the Ottawa franchise? Doesn't want to disrupt the salary situation too much while still getting a fair amount? He's not missing any UFA years, so it's pretty much a solid deal for both sides.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
ginc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
that "fiasco" netted us 141 goals in 3 seasons
I'm not denying that the trade was good for Ottawa as far as getting results... but the old sign-and-trade trick hurts a team's reputation among hockey players and makes it more difficult to sign big name free agents later on, especially if you do it to star players like Hossa.

Players generally like a little security and stability... and if a freshly signed contract isn't safe, then what is?

ginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Kirk Muller

Vermette to Montreal in two years

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 50
Oh My God, thank you.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:51 AM
PlayItAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
His agent must have been asleep. Why would he sign a contract for 2 years at that price?
He loves the city/team and wants to live here for a couple more years?

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
PlayItAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginc View Post
Players generally like a little security and stability... and if a freshly signed contract isn't safe, then what is?
A no-trade clause maybe?

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
State of Hockey

I guess I'm confused as to the praise for this deal. If I was an Ottawa fan, and I do like the Sens, I'd hate this deal. Vermette will be a UFA in his first possible year. I wouldn't be in love for having him a cheap price for only two years just to see his salary skyrocket, or worse, see him walk. To me, I see Vermette as the clear winner here. He takes a pay cut now for the chance of big money, or a different team, in just two years.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Good deal. Hopefully, Meszaros signs for $3 million and we can somehow acquire another Top 4 defenseman.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I guess I'm confused as to the praise for this deal. If I was an Ottawa fan, and I do like the Sens, I'd hate this deal. Vermette will be a UFA in his first possible year. I wouldn't be in love for having him a cheap price for only two years just to see his salary skyrocket, or worse, see him walk. To me, I see Vermette as the clear winner here. He takes a pay cut now for the chance of big money, or a different team, in just two years.
Some fans (myself included), still think Vermette has a bit to prove on the offensive side of things. Enough so that I'm wary of having him for a long term at a high price at least - and make no mistake, if the deal cut into his UFA years, it wouldn't have been so cheap.

Of course it's a risk having his deal expire just as he enters UFA, but I think it's a smart decision at this point for the team. If he has a great couple years, he'll deserve whatever payday he gets, so yes, he's a winner as well.

Cat Called Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Indrew

Quote:
I'm too short-sighted to care. I'll worry about it in a year. This leaves the Senators with a little extra room this season and next, which will help if they want to make another run at the Cup.

Having Vermette playing for his next contract will just add to his worth as well.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
i've allready explained why this is a good situation for the sens too.
In short, we're not sure yet if vermette is long-term signing material, or if he will be replaced by someone like jim obrien, peter regin, kaspars daugavins, etc.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:01 PM
fogducker

so is this a sign and trade

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i've allready explained why this is a good situation for the sens too.
In short, we're not sure yet if vermette is long-term signing material, or if he will be replaced by someone like jim obrien, peter regin, kaspars daugavins, etc.
They may never make the NHL or be anymore more than 4th liners if they do.
Also, Alfie will be turning 38 a few months after Vermette's contract expires. Something to think about in the back of your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
so is this a sign and trade
No.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:08 PM
kolider

I'm not sure what the argument is about the deal. It was the best for both sides. Vermette got his payraise while still under RFA years and Ottawa gets a fair deal for a player of his calibre. They didn't overpay for what his output is, and, if it turns our he is a legit 30+ goal, 30+ assist scorer, the Sens have the opportunity to re-sign him or cut him loose if he asks too much.

This is one of the more fair and equitable deals I have seen all summer, to be quite frank.

kolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Hale The Villain

**** ya!! I love Murray!!

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:43 PM
ginc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain View Post
A no-trade clause maybe?
It was a figure of speech

But seriously, you're right, which brings up another point - if a team is reputed for doing sign-and-trades, then free agents will demand a NTC/NMC in contract negotiations. This, of course, handcuffs the team and can lead to a possible Toronto type situation.

ginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 01:47 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
I wouldn't be in love for having him a cheap price for only two years just to see his salary skyrocket, or worse, see him walk.
He still has to prove that he's a core player IMO.

He's shown a lot of potential to be a top 6 forward but it seems a bit premature to pay him like one before he delivers on it consistently.

The alternative is to get him for a more expensive price for only one year through arbitration.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
4thliner*

That is closer severe underpayment for Vermette not only that he is already 25/50 guy, one of the top 2 way forwards, and top 5 face off guy in the NHL IMO...but that he has been going it at the tender age of 24 up to last season, so you have to think his agent should have milked more money even if it is only 2 years and he will get paid for sure soon anyway.

In the mean time Murray's camp gets a big plus. Vermette at 2.75 in this market is a huge steal.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
tony d
Follow your Nose

Though Vermette did re-sign with Ottawa, I do think that he's going to used as part of a package to get Jay Bouwmeester from Florida.

07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Great signing.

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
fras123

Never would have expected for Vermette to sign for under 3m, props to Murray.

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

He's shown a lot of potential to be a top 6 forward but it seems a bit premature to pay him like one before he delivers on it consistently.

The alternative is to get him for a more expensive price for only one year through arbitration.
i agree completely. If vermette shows in the next year he is worth it, we start working on an extension. If not, we trade him. Give him what he is worth now while we still have time to evaluate his future potential. If he starts living up to it with increased ice-time he deserves, then there is no reason not to work on an extention.

I still think him not fitting well with fisher or spezza, and fisher not fitting well on spezza's wing, will eventually lead to the dealing of vermette, but now he's got 2 years to prove me wrong.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 04:34 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
2 years is short, but to get a 50 point player, top PK guy, and top 5 faceoff man at under 3M a year is a tremendous deal.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Dionysus

Great deal, can't believe he signed for under 3mil per year, but overall looks great for both sides.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 06:05 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i agree completely. If vermette shows in the next year he is worth it, we start working on an extension. If not, we trade him. Give him what he is worth now while we still have time to evaluate his future potential. If he starts living up to it with increased ice-time he deserves, then there is no reason not to work on an extention.
This situation is very close to the Pierre-Marc Bouchard mess. Minnesota waited until Bouchard's last RFA year to make a decision on whether or not he was a core player. Their initial decision was no, and Bouchard was offered in trades. But by waiting until he had just one more year before UFA status, his trade value dropped significantly. Other teams didn't want to take the risk. Minnesota then had no choice but to sign him long-term, which wasn't their first option.

With this short-term contract that ends in UFA status, Ottawa is hurting Vermette's trade value. It also might make it very difficult to sign him to an extension next year. I'd bet everything on that.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote