HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Gomez to Vancouver

Old
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Ok Ill play. What is Vancouver sending back for Scott Gomez? Mind you he was really the Rangers most consistent offense last year AND he led the team in scoring almost all season, despite having revolving linemates

07-31-2008, 02:36 PM
MSG the place to be*

I am a huge Rangers fan and I dont understand where other Rangers fans are coming from when they laugh at getting rid of Gomez.

First let me say that the chances are probably 1 in a million.

Second let me say that I like Gomez - he gives solid production, he plays hard and is a likable guy off the ice.

*BUT the bottom line is that Gomez is NOT AN ASSET. In my opinion you have an asset to your organization when you have a young player who is underpaid or a guy who is making what they deserve. We all know that Gomez making 7.5 MM/yr is overpayment. How can he be considered a real asset to the team when if he was off the books we could replace him in any offseason with an equal or better player for the same money.

So as much as I like Gomez, I would get rid of him in a heartbeat if it meant bringing in Sundin for 2 years at around 5 MM and then while Gomez would still have 4 years left on his deal in 2 years, be able to sign an even better player than Gomez for 7.5 MM - 9 MM since the cap will go up in the next 2 years.

Thoughts???

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Varius

Why would the Rangers sign a guy who was highly sought after last offseason to a long-term deal then trade him one year later (when he didn't perform badly). Doesn't look good to future signings.

Especially, I wouldn't give up Gomez for many years for Sundin for just 1 or 2.

Lastly, teams will know if Rangers get Sundin and want to move Gomez, they don't have to pay full value for him...so Rangers won't get a fair return.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken

Is any further explanation really needed? Gomez is the best center on the Rangers. He isn't going anywhere.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

awful speculation. The Rangers are going to build their offense around him.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Varius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I am a huge Rangers fan and I dont understand where other Rangers fans are coming from when they laugh at getting rid of Gomez.

Second let me say that I like Gomez - he gives solid production, he plays hard and is a likable guy off the ice.

*BUT the bottom line is that Gomez is NOT AN ASSET. In my opinion you have an asset to your organization when you have a young player who is underpaid or a guy who is making what they deserve. We all know that Gomez making 7.5 MM/yr is overpayment. How can he be considered a real asset to the team when if he was off the books we could replace him in any offseason with an equal or better player for the same money.

So as much as I like Gomez, I would get rid of him in a heartbeat if it meant bringing in Sundin for 2 years at around 5 MM and then while Gomez would still have 4 years left on his deal in 2 years, be able to sign an even better player than Gomez for 7.5 MM - 9 MM since the cap will go up in the next 2 years.

Thoughts???
My thought is first, If Sundin has 8-10M offers, I'm not sure you can get him at 5M.

Secondly, there is no guarantee there will be anyone available or who you'll end up signing after Sundin is gone to replace what you would have had in Gomez.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

Thoughts???
Wow that's a lot of speculation right there for Sundin who may or may not be as good as he was even last year -- for that matter he has never played outside of Toronto to justify that he can handle a new team -- and is significantly older and has been/will consider retirement in the near future. That's quite the cap hit should he decide to retire next season.

This idea is terrible in all honesty. Is there a word worse than terrible -- perhaps atrocious.

I should clarify I mean that he won't be as good in a new environment such as NY as he was in Toronto (just so there is no confusion) -- we know Gomez will -- I'd rather take the sure thing in Gomez and worry about his cap hit later.

Last edited by MisterUnspoken: 07-31-2008 at 02:47 PM.
MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
frag2

pass-pass-pass-pass-pass-shoot-pass-pass-lose the puck?

I thought you guys wanted a sniper/scorer?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Soundwave

If the Rangers could grab Hodgson + Edler for Gomez and then sign Sundin, I would do it if I were the NYR.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Brassballers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2agingmonk View Post
I kinda like getting Gomez long-term better than getting Sundin for a couple years to be honest, but that's just me. Ignoring how much better he is as a player, I just plain don't like Sundin that much.
Your crazy. Gomez give them no hope of any kind of Stanley Cup run. He doesn't even take them into the playoffs. Sundin gives them a playoff team at least. Especially if they add another piece as Gillis apparently says he will. With Luongo only signed for another 2 years. Now is the time to go for...well...now. Not the future.

Brassballers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Turambar

This thread is ridiculous, it's based on speculation of a couple of idiot radio show hosts, means nothing at all.

The Rangers aren't getting rid of Gomez, he's a true playmaker and the key to the Rangers offense for the next several years.

IF they were going to move one of those guys, it'd be Drury, not Gomez.

Either way, it's dumb. You don't trade younger guys on long-term deals to bring in a guy who might play 2 years and might not even work out if he does play.

Ain't gonna happen.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassballers View Post
Your crazy. Gomez give them no hope of any kind of Stanley Cup run. He doesn't even take them into the playoffs. Sundin gives them a playoff team at least. Especially if they add another piece as Gillis apparently says he will. With Luongo only signed for another 2 years. Now is the time to go for...well...now. Not the future.
Because Sundin automatically = playoffs, right?

The Leafs might tell you otherwise.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Yeah, because the Rangers will trade their best skater a year after he's signed.

Retarded rumor. If you can even call it one.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yeah, because the Rangers will trade their best skater a year after he's signed.

Retarded rumor. If you can even call it one.
Yeah, makes no sense. You trade your #1 centre for another older centre with less in the tank? Why?

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Brassballers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulisian Spinorama View Post
Yeah, makes no sense. You trade your #1 centre for another older centre with less in the tank? Why?
Correct me if I'm wrong. But if they trade Gomez, it isn't just to get Sundin. They will get a player(s) back from Vancouver right?

Old
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I agree with that. With Dubinsky ready to fill the void when Sundin leaves, they really don't need Gomez and Drury.

If Gomez was going to be traded, Vancouver is probably a place he would agree to go to....but it doesn't make sense for the Rangers to trade him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

They'll be over the cap and in a weak bargaining position. Assuming he even goes to Vancouver, which is not as much of a foregone conclussion as this wild speculation makes it seem.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Brassballers*

Quote:
Because Sundin automatically = playoffs, right?

The Leafs might tell you otherwise.

Key word..."Leafs". HUGE difference between the Canucks and Leafs. 1 being Luongo. Oh, and yeah, Sundin wouldn't be the only line on the team.

So yes. Sundin + Demitra + a second line of the Sedins and whoever will score 30 goals with them + strong defense + LUONGO = playoffs.

Old
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Gomez used to be linked with Phoenix every off-season. Wonder if he's included them in the 15 teams. Not that it's likely to happen.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
This thread is ridiculous, it's based on speculation of a couple of idiot radio show hosts, means nothing at all.

The Rangers aren't getting rid of Gomez, he's a true playmaker and the key to the Rangers offense for the next several years.

Either way, it's dumb. You don't trade younger guys on long-term deals to bring in a guy who might play 2 years and might not even work out if he does play.

Ain't gonna happen.
Drury would look great in an Avs uniform. But what sort of needs would Rangers be looking for to trade him?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
JR#9*

as many have stated it would be Drury moved as Gomez is going nowhere.

The only way Mats comes to NYC is if he takes alot less then what the Habs and Nucks have offered.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
No way should we get rid of Gomez for Sundin. Not only would it be a short term upgrade, but what would later UFA's think when they want to sign with the Rangers?

Sundin right now is definitely better than Gomer. In two years or so? Guaranteed not so.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
I can't wait for this to happen!

My best friend says his aunt's cousin knows a guy who delivers her pizza and saw Gomez get out of a car in Vancouver...

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

I would wet myself with glee. Please Gillis, Please make this happen.

britdevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Ok Ill play. What is Vancouver sending back for Scott Gomez? Mind you he was really the Rangers most consistent offense last year AND he led the team in scoring almost all season, despite having revolving linemates
Well, the most the Rangers would be able to take on is picks/prospects or cheap, young players, correct? As the only way Gomez would be dealt is if the Rangers signed Sundin, absorbing the salary Gomez would be taking. In that case, I'd have no problem offering a deal based around Alex Edler. Not sure if the Rangers are after another d-man, but he's probably the best asset the Canucks can offer.

Gomez is a great center and would certainly make the Canucks stronger up front, but the Canucks would really be lacking some pure goal scorers in their top 6. Perhaps Gillis could then make a play for Brian Gionta and re-unite the two?

But I agree this "rumour" makes little sense, unless Sather has a massive hard-on for Sundin.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote