HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Scott Gomez to Vancouver

Old
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
Do you honestly believe that Gomez is better then every other centre in the league not named above?

The Rangers overpaid for Gomez just like the Canucks are trying to overpay for Sundin. The thing is, just like how Canucks fans can rationalize the Sundin offer, Rangers fans can rationalize the Gomez contract. The smart thing to do last year would have been to re-sign Nylander.
yeah, signing a guy for 20 million bucks over 4yrs that would have him closing in at FORTY at the end of the deal sure would've been the smarter thing to do!

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireonk View Post
With the contract Nylander got I really don't know how you can justify saying Sather screwed the pooch by not resigning him. He only played half this season (you can't be surprised by injuries as they get up in age) and had an incredible -19 over his 40 games. Granted, +/- is a flawed number, but thats still unbelievably bad. With the way Jagr finished the season and his run during the playoffs it showed that he didn't need Nylander to create opportunities for himself.

Overpaying for Drury is a seperate matter that I can understand why you aren't happy with, but the Rangers would be in much worse shape with Nylanders contract over the remaining 3 seasons.
we'd still have Jagr for at least 2 of those seasons (probably one of the being @ 4mil b/c he would have triggerd the extension)... that means we would be better and in better cap shape. Plus you could always buy out Nylanders contract that last season. You can't do that w/ Drury. In fact you can't move him, and there is no freakin way anybody can convince me he is worth $7mil a season. Same w/ Gomez although gomez is closer than drury.

plus you really can't use his injuries last year... b/c it might not happen w/ the Rangers. In fact he only missed a handful of games while playing for the Rangers. Drury and Gomez both had injuries last year for the rangers. They could next year as well. who knows. Look jagr was up there in age, but he was rarely injured. Same w/ Lidstrom, and many other stars around the NHL.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
wow it's amazing how Non-Ranger fans actually get it and don't homer everything.... and this is coming from a ranger fan.

Sather screwed the pooch last offseason and ruined the team, and now is trying to cover up for it.

by the way I think we should have signed Gomez and Nylander and not the glorified 2nd/3rd line center drury.
Calling for Nylander to get 5 million per on a 4 yr deal that brings him to 40 is just ridiculous.

That would've been screwing the pooch.

then again Devil fans can't stop falling over themselves singing Lou Lams praises for giving out the same deal this yr to Rolston who will also be closing in on 40 at the end of it.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:55 PM
X pro hockey insider*

wow, blake price must be more high then I am to stir the pot like this.

i think i feel a specualtion or trade proposal coming so i can 1 up Price

X pro hockey insider* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:58 PM
miser

Let's see if I get this right ...
Vancouver will help out the Rangers by taking on a salary like Gomez so that they can sign Sundin instead of teams that include Vancouver?
There is a limit to how much you can exceed the cap (even in the off-season) so Gomez would have to be moved first for the NHL to approve a Sundin signing.

miser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 03:01 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Calling for Nylander to get 5 million per on a 4 yr deal that brings him to 40 is just ridiculous.

That would've been screwing the pooch.

then again Devil fans can't stop falling over themselves singing Lou Lams praises for giving out the same deal this yr to Rolston who will also be closing in on 40 at the end of it.
I guess its just what fans do. They get excited.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:52 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That's why Gomez had over 70 points while Holik didn't break 50 in 2000? And then he outproduced Holik in the playoffs. In 2003, Gomez outproduced Nieuwendyk AND Madden, and then outproduced Nieuwendyk again in the playoffs. And you're gonna sit here and tell me he was the #3 center on BOTH of those teams? On even one of those teams?

If Gomez is a 2nd line center, then about the only #1 centers in the NHL right now are Lecavalier, Zetterberg or Datsyuk (whichever one plays center), Thornton, Spezza, Crosby, and Malkin.
Points aren't everything my friend.

Gomez was never a key cog in either of the cup runs he was here for.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Quote:
Just when you thought Glen Sather was the only one who could sign old players past their prime to bloated contracts!

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 12:15 PM
fogducker

Quote:
The Rangers are talking MEGA trade deal with two teams. All I can think of is this has to be tied to the salary dump that could be coming if they land Sundin
I told ya eklund would just copy

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
I told ya eklund would just copy
eklund said it, so it means it will never happen

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 05:38 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Wow that's a lot of speculation right there for Sundin who may or may not be as good as he was even last year -- for that matter he has never played outside of Toronto to justify that he can handle a new team -- and is significantly older and has been/will consider retirement in the near future. That's quite the cap hit should he decide to retire next season.
He was drafted by Quebec in 89, 1st overall, and played their until 94. Had his career year there in 93, scoring 114 points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Gomez was never a key cog in either of the cup runs he was here for.
I can't even take you seriously after that, you're such a homer.

It's one thing to not like a player, it's another to discredit anything he's ever done because you dislike him.

I'd love to have seen how well the A-Line did in 00 and 01 if it wasn't for Gomez and Mogilny being a force on that 2nd line. Having a one-line attack gets you nowhere, and you should know that, being the Devils are currently a one-trick pony in Zach Parise. Parise and Brodeur are so underrated for holding up the offense and entire defense/goaltending of one of the most truely terrible teams in the NHL.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:19 PM
fogducker

I knew Eklund would copy this

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 10:50 PM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Start with Hodgson, Edler, and next year's 1st, then the Rangers might listen, and then still laugh at Vancouver.
wow....just wow....this coming from a NYR fan makes me think they are over valuing their players totally.
Total overpayment for an overpaid player if you ask me.

08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
1. The Rangers arent Trading Gomez no matter what
2. Why would they trade him to Vancouver?
3. Sundin is a ****** bag and i dont want him on the Rangers if that means no Gomez/Drury
why wouldnt they? they rarley play vancouver and you might get a decent young guy back.

1 and 3 are true

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:11 PM
hockeyfan666666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
why wouldnt they? they rarley play vancouver and you might get a decent young guy back.

1 and 3 are true
i agree with you

hockeyfan666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:23 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
wow....just wow....this coming from a NYR fan makes me think they are over valuing their players totally.
Total overpayment for an overpaid player if you ask me.
So an at this point unproven prospect, a good middle pair guy with potential and a first round pick for a proven first line Calder winning center that has consistently hit 60 or more points each season in his career is overpayment? Very well, if you think so. It would never happen, but value wise, it is pretty close.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:35 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
He was drafted by Quebec in 89, 1st overall, and played their until 94. Had his career year there in 93, scoring 114 points...

I can't even take you seriously after that, you're such a homer.

It's one thing to not like a player, it's another to discredit anything he's ever done because you dislike him.

I'd love to have seen how well the A-Line did in 00 and 01 if it wasn't for Gomez and Mogilny being a force on that 2nd line. Having a one-line attack gets you nowhere, and you should know that, being the Devils are currently a one-trick pony in Zach Parise. Parise and Brodeur are so underrated for holding up the offense and entire defense/goaltending of one of the most truely terrible teams in the NHL.
He stunk in the playoffs in '00 and '03. '03 he had a pretty good final, but the rest of the playoffs, there's really no words to describe how bad he and Elias were. That they actually made the Cup finals with their first line doing nothing was a minor miracle. '01, he was alright, although one of his 5 goals was the gift from Roy.

Much, much better playoff player post-lockout. The A-Line didn't need help, and they didn't get a whole lot.

And you get alot of credibility too, calling them "truely" terrible. Another case of someone who wasn't around back then talking about something they have no clue about.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
i wouldnt even call you a ranger fan. you just a guy who hates the devils.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
So an at this point unproven prospect a good middle pair guy with potential and a first round pick for...

Hodgson's scouting report says he has all the skills of Stamkos without the foot speed, and with leadership.

Edler was playing beer league hockey 5 years ago and has progressed faster than any player I've seen in a long time. He came to the WHL and in his first season in North America was top 4 in rookie scoring - behind 3 forwards.

A first round pick in a draft deeper than '03.

I would not trade any TWO of those straight up for Gomez, let alone all 3. The reasoning is that NY is in a position of weakness if they land or are trying to land Sundin, and Gomez is overpaid for a long long time. I love the guy (he played for the Surrey Eagles, whose arena is about 3 blocks from my house) and think he would be a great fit but I wouldn't mortgage the future for him.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
guyincognito

Just to follow up. He had 1 assist in the '00 Finals, on the lone goal in the second game, which they lost 2-1. So, I don't think he had an earthshattering effect on that series.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Missionhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I would think somebody that watches hockey would know that it takes more than two people to make a successful team. Luongo and the Sedins didn't make it very far this year, Ovechkin and Kolzig didn't go far in Alex the Great's rookie campaign.

On the contrary, the Devils are the personification of a great team. They work well together but they have barely enough star power to dimly light a small room. Yet the players sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the team as well as know their limits and play within themselves. Especially the defense which consisted of below average NHLers like Vishnevski and Andy Greene; as well as a few career AHLers like Brookbank and Mottau.

If teamplay is not your taste, then you might as well go across the Hudson.

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2008, 01:15 AM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Gomez is good no doubt and having a playmaking center is something I miss as a Devils fan but if you really think he was that important in 2000 or 2003 during the playoffs then you didn't watch any of the games and should just keep your mouth shut.
He's good, great maybe, but he is overpaid and that has nothing to do with Brian Rolston or the 4 year contract that brings him into 39 years old. Earth to everyone, you have to overpay to land a UFA, especially one you want really bad. Example: SCOTT GOMEZ.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote