HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Betts be moved?

Old
08-01-2008, 07:35 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

vCash: 500
we'll be keeping betty. He's great on the penalty kill. If he plays with sjo, then he could score more. He tough, and has talent

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:48 AM
chappie
lemon snow!

I'm all for moving Betts if we can get a guy who is still responsible in his own zone, but I do not think Moore is the answer, or ever will be for this team. =/

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
I'm all for moving Betts if we can get a guy who is still responsible in his own zone, but I do not think Moore is the answer, or ever will be for this team. =/
But aren't you then basically trading Betts for a Betts?

08-01-2008, 08:51 AM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But aren't you then basically trading Betts for a Betts?
I don't mean in trade, I mean replacing him with one of the people we already have, but no. Betts is exceptional in our own zone, he is a defensive forward. I just mean someone who wont be making big turnovers, someone who is responsible with the puck.

Fritsche could be that guy, but I don't know how well he'd take to being a 4th liner again, especially after winning that arbitration hearing.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Larry Melnyk

Don't understand this at all...Betts is a perfect 4th line c for this team...Can skate, can Play defense, can take FOs, can hit a little, always gives 110%, and rarely makes mistakes...and a great team guy...And he's been doing this for a few years...And people want to replace him with unproven crap like Grep Moore? or even some of our other currently over-rated youngsters (Korp, Animisov, whoever) that aren't ready for regular NHL duty? Or a just as big offensive black hole in Sjostrom?

hey, if this team disentegrates during the year (which it has a chance to without another top 2 liner or two) then by all means deal betts as part of some moves for youth...but not yet...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:49 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

why move a guy whos been a loyal soldier, gives 100% and plays his position perfectly. if he had better, more talented wingers the last 2 years, he would have had many more points. hes got a solid overall defensive game, and a smart player too boot. keep him right where he is, give him freddie and voros and a rismiller and see what happens.

hes the least of this team worries right now.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I hate it when I see these threads pop up regarding Betts. Blair Betts is your prototypical 4th line center. He knows his role, accepts his role, and does it well.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:56 AM
DontStepanMe

I find it pretty amusing that people are up in arms about trading a 4th line player, but yet people were happy and wanted to let go of one of the greatest players of all time, and still one of the best and most feared players in the game today in Jaromir Jagr. Pathetic.

Betts is a 4c. It doesn't make one iota difference if he is on this team or not. If we lose him he won't be that difficult to replace, in fact rissmiller, or Fritsche could probably do what he does, and add a little offense. but who cares. the guy plays 5-7 min a night.

We have much more pressing issues on our top 6 than our 4c.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:02 AM
NYR Viper

this is what i dont understand....people cant bring themselves to get rid of betts, who will never be anything more than a 4th line center......people are acting like he is amazing and without him the team will disintegrate......he has value and there are players who can do what he does and add offense wouldnt it make sense to get something when they can......

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I dont think anyone is acting like Betts is amazing. But when you take the rolls of a hockey team into account, Betts does everything you can ask for in a 4th line center and does it well. Its needless to mess with that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:08 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
this is what i dont understand....people cant bring themselves to get rid of betts, who will never be anything more than a 4th line center......people are acting like he is amazing and without him the team will disintegrate......he has value and there are players who can do what he does and add offense wouldnt it make sense to get something when they can......
Name them.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:19 AM
NYR Viper

fritsche, rissmiller, moore(in the near future)

Old
08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
fritsche, rissmiller, moore(in the near future)
How do you know?

Trying to upgrade Betts is like trying to up the value of your home by replacing the doorknobs.

Old
08-01-2008, 10:47 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
How do you know?

Trying to upgrade Betts is like trying to up the value of your home by replacing the doorknobs.
But how do you not know? We're talking about a FOURTH LINE center here.

We've got a logjam at forward and need to clear space - the idea would either be to package 2-3 for one superior player for the big club... or simply to lop off 1-2 in exchange for picks or young prospects. In no case are we talking about a lateral move to trade a forward straight up for another forward.

I'm open to trading any of our 9-10 bottom 6 guys in the scenarios above, including Betts - just make the best deal to acquire the most value.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
He could but why? What would the return really be? And he doesn't make enough to really clear any substantial cap space.

Besides, let Moore win a spot.
Exactly!

If someone comes in with an offer of a top 4 defenseman, sure, I'd move Betts. But nobody will do that. And dumping Betts for a 4 round pick is just dumb. If we can get a second rounder, I'd do it. Anything less and we are weakening our 4th line and face off winning percentage for a very marginal prospect who'll likely never see NHL ice.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

He could be moved, but it makes no sense to do so. Moving a very good defensive center for a guy that might score 3 or 4 more goals and probably cost more? Meh.. doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:57 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Rangers:

betts, callahan, potter 2nd '09

LA:

o'sullivan, 3rd in '09

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
But how do you not know? We're talking about a FOURTH LINE center here.

We've got a logjam at forward and need to clear space - the idea would either be to package 2-3 for one superior player for the big club... or simply to lop off 1-2 in exchange for picks or young prospects. In no case are we talking about a lateral move to trade a forward straight up for another forward.

I'm open to trading any of our 9-10 bottom 6 guys in the scenarios above, including Betts - just make the best deal to acquire the most value.
You're talking about Blair Betts. What do you really think you're getting for him and some of the other "logjam" fowards?

Old
08-01-2008, 12:59 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
You're talking about Blair Betts. What do you really think you're getting for him and some of the other "logjam" fowards?
4th-5th round pick?

Old
08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Rangers:

betts, callahan, potter 2nd '09

LA:

o'sullivan, 3rd in '09
Not a prayer.

Old
08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
4th-5th round pick?
i would think a 4th rounder.....hollweg got a 5th....betts is much better than him.....

Old
08-01-2008, 01:05 PM
NYR Viper

i would be happy if the rangers could get a pair of 4th rounders for moore and betts.....those picks would be huge....its not like the rangers cant replace a 4th liner...

Old
08-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
i would be happy if the rangers could get a pair of 4th rounders for moore and betts.....those picks would be huge....its not like the rangers cant replace a 4th liner...
Why are we trading Moore? Guy more than doubled his production in the AHL and we want to deal him off for a 4th round pick?

I'd rather just keep Moore and Betts to be honest. You wanna deal players for picks? Trade Prucha.

Old
08-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Betts is a 4c. It doesn't make one iota difference if he is on this team or not. If we lose him he won't be that difficult to replace, in fact rissmiller, or Fritsche could probably do what he does, and add a little offense. but who cares. the guy plays 5-7 min a night.
Nonsense! The man helps his defence as often as possible and does a damn good job. Why do people think that's an easy thing to do?

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
Nonsense! The man helps his defence as often as possible and does a damn good job. Why do people think that's an easy thing to do?
b/c there are many defensively capable centers in this league and in the minors... most will have more offensive upside as well.... he is just a fourth line player. i don't get what the big deal is about him. Dominic moore was better all around than Betts. I'm not crying Moore is gone. Again having or not having Blair Betts will not make or break this team.