HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help Settle This Debate: David Booth

Old
08-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

vCash: 500
Help Settle This Debate: David Booth

My husband and I were discussing the upcoming season the other day. He is somewhat jaded and bitter still from the Jokinen trade, and thinks we'll be a basement team this year. Of course, me being the optimistic one, disagreed.

Anyway, as I started rattling off players who I felt would take their game to the next level, David Booth's name was the one we got 'stuck' on. I think Booth will only get better this year. He thinks last year was a fluke and Booth won't even hit the numbers he hit this year.

Thoughts?

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Heimy

Let's do what Solomon suggested and split the baby. My best guess for Booth is that he duplicates last season's numbers.

Heimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy View Post
Let's do what Solomon suggested and split the baby. My best guess for Booth is that he duplicates last season's numbers.
I agree he will at the very least duplicate last seasons numbers and IMO will have every opportunity to surpass those because of already being farmiliar with his line-mates(Weiss-Horton). Last year there was somewhat of a transition in the beginning of the year before they really started clicking well together. This line will also get more playing time(with Olli gone) and that should also lead to more opportunities! It's crucial for our success this season that this line improve their scoring across the board. That includes Weiss and Horton too. It's up to Deboer to motivate them to do so!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
David Booth is DeBoer's favorite type of player, a hard working, motivated individual that never stops. I'm more than sure DeBoer will know how to use David Booth and further assist his development into maybe even 25-29 goals. 29 May be a bit optimistic but who knows

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 10:28 AM
FlaPanthers7

He and Olesz were the only 2 guys I saw consistently crashing the opponents' nets last season. I don't see why he can't pot another 20 goals doing the same thing, however the only set back I can see is that he's going to be going against our opponents' top defensive units night in and out which could make things a bit tougher.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:16 PM
PanthersRule96

I see Booth as being a consistent 20/20 guy. I don't know but I'm not sold on him yet in terms up putting up 20+ goals easily. We'll have to wait and see. I love the kid though.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

I have to admit I'm in the other camp. Booth's work ethic is top notch. He plays a 110% type of game. However, I think his production will actually decrease slightly (not much mind you) because defenses and goalies will be able to gameplan for his line a bit more. As part of the "top line" he'll see the top pairings more than he did last season.

I think he's in for a bit of the sophomore jinx as well. IMO, his goal totals drop into the mid-high teens this year although he'll have about the same amount of points..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:22 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
I have to admit I'm in the other camp. Booth's work ethic is top notch. He plays a 110% type of game. However, I think his production will actually decrease slightly (not much mind you) because defenses and goalies will be able to gameplan for his line a bit more. As part of the "top line" he'll see the top pairings more than he did last season.

I think he's in for a bit of the sophomore jinx as well. IMO, his goal totals drop into the mid-high teens this year although he'll have about the same amount of points..
i'd side more with you. his style of play will create points, no doubt but going against tougher competition and faster, more mobile Dmen will put a dent in all those opportunities he got by blowing around guys. he should be working on his stickhandling this off-season because he'll need to do more of that this year.

he'll still do well, though. i could imagine him getting 20 again but even a bit less on a productive line would be fine.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Montsy14

IF he plays with the same intensity and similar effort level, he will easily duplicate last years point totals. Booth should be the least of the worries regarding players taking their game to the next level.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
39ontheline

Fluke, he'll be a consistent 20 goal scorer but nothing more IMO

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Expect 30 goals next year if Deboer could get Horton to be the beast he should be... Weisser could post 50 assists between the 2 of them if Deboer can get to Horton.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 01:57 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
Expect 30 goals next year if Deboer could get Horton to be the beast he should be... Weisser could post 50 assists between the 2 of them if Deboer can get to Horton.
Weiss posting 50 assists for the upcoming season has been a stable on HF boards each summer for the past 4 years lol.

He's barely ever even hit 50 points. I think he did once. I agree he could with some great linemates, but that largely depends on Horton.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 02:55 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
LOL x five million. This isnt nhl 09 or ehm. Weiss is what he is at this point IMO.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Weiss posting 50 assists for the upcoming season has been a stable on HF boards each summer for the past 4 years lol.

He's barely ever even hit 50 points. I think he did once. I agree he could with some great linemates, but that largely depends on Horton.
Agreed, for Booth to continue to improve both Horton & Weiss need to improve too.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:

He does on EA's NHL '07!!! Agree with it depending on how Horton elevates his game...or not.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Anod

Weiss may eventually hit 50 assists but its not going to happen next year because I guarantee Horton plays with Stillman instead. I think Stillman was brought in to bring some experienced playmaking to the team. Weiss needs to improve in this area and I think Stillman will help him improve that aspect of his game over time. In the next few years Weiss will be asked to take over Stillman role in setting up Horton but I don't think he is ready yet.

EDIT: sorry went off topic there. As for booth I think he can be a consitent energy guy on the second line but my bet is that he becomes a consistent 20-20 guy.

Anod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 04:21 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

This doesn't answer the question, but I think Booth's productivity will be a fairly accurate barometer for the season. If Booth's productivity increases, I think you see an end to the playoff drought. If his productivity declines significantly, this team will almost undoubtedly be on the golf course in early April.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 06:24 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
I think Booth will produce similar numbers to last season, but highly doubt he'll exceed them by much.

If, indeed, his line becomes the go-to line, not only will he face top line talent throughout the entirety of next season, but he also will be targeted more by our opponent's defensive schemes. The subtraction of Jokinen will put a spotlight on guys like Booth (and Horton, etc).

I'm also concerned that his style of play could result in injury, so I'm hopeful he doesn't get seriously injured next year.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2008, 11:13 PM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Booth was doing really well using his dogged determination and hard work. However, toward the end of the season I started noticing him waiting for the puck more. Maybe he was instructed to try this, but it wasn't really working as well as when he works for it himself.

Maybe he's not the high scorer type. Maybe the team could benefit from him more if he concentrates on digging the puck out and getting it to the net, rather than trying to be in position and net it himself.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 12:31 AM
homegrizown

i don't see his production dropping off at all honestly.

1.this year he'll start off on the top 2 lines. so he'll have a whole year of a bundle of ice time.

2. he'll get some power play time this year and i'm sure he'll be in front of the net taking a beating and re-directing shots. he could be our holmstrom with a ton of speed.

so all in all i see him putting up similar goal numbers maybe more depending on how affective our power play is and he is on the power play. Maybe more assist with more top line minutes from the get go. i also see horton stepping up in the goal department this year. i'd say 35 goals i don't wanna takea reach and say 40 but i'll say 35.

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:

I agree, however... I said that if Deboer can turn Horton into the player he should be, a consistant force, than we could see 50 assists.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 11:52 AM
VirtualSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I think Booth will produce similar numbers to last season, but highly doubt he'll exceed them by much.

If, indeed, his line becomes the go-to line, not only will he face top line talent throughout the entirety of next season, but he also will be targeted more by our opponent's defensive schemes. The subtraction of Jokinen will put a spotlight on guys like Booth (and Horton, etc).

I'm also concerned that his style of play could result in injury, so I'm hopeful he doesn't get seriously injured next year.

Except that his line became the go-to line at the end of the season, you know, when we won all those games. If he gets targeted more, great, hopefully that means Horton will be left a little more unprotected. We just have to hope Horton will step up.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSpree View Post
Except that his line became the go-to line at the end of the season, you know, when we won all those games. If he gets targeted more, great, hopefully that means Horton will be left a little more unprotected. We just have to hope Horton will step up.
Yes, I know his line was instrumental for those wins. Just because they could pull it off for the last 1/3 of the season does not guarantee they can do it all year. Despite the lackluster output we saw from Olli last season, his line was the one our opponent's focused on the most...even when Booth's line was getting the game starts.

I also hope Horton steps it up, because it will be a long, arduous season if he doesn't.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

I think Booth will produce close to what he was able to get last season. He does have to deal with the opposition knowing who he is this season and will now not be able to take anyone by surprise, though. If he keeps up the hard work and Deboer allows him to realize further potential, we could see an upgrade.

Hopefully his work ethic rubs off on his teammates this season. The team certainly saw what happens when you don't give 100% effort.

08-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
Fluke, he'll be a consistent 20 goal scorer but nothing more IMO
You're contradicting yourself. You say it's a fluke, but then say he'll continue to score at the same rate. 22 goals is at the level of a consistent 20 goal scorer (players don't get the exact same number every season).

Anyway, I personally think he'll top last year's numbers only because he started last year on a bottom line and didn't begin to play his own style until December. As such, I'd say (assuming the work ethic wasn't a one-time shot) he'll end up in the 25-30 goal and 50-point range, and that's his ceiling.

Then again, a hard-working player like this is the kind that can also surprise with a 5th gear that allows him to surpass all expectations. It's also the kind who can get injured a lot and end his career early, so any guess as to what to expect really is throwing darts blindfolded.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote