HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Phil Kessel

Old
08-04-2008, 03:42 AM
nuck4life*

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel

If this guy is on the block, he would fit into our lineup with ease. ??With Bergeron coming back (had a serious concussion)??, savard at center. and with the recent acquisitions of ryder and wheeler, i'm not sure if he is in boston's plans. and he is not a left-winger (ala lucic). so the only place left for him is on the pp or the 3rd line.

i think we should definitely drop the ball for this guy even if the price might be a little steep. rumours say that boston is looking for defensive depth. i think we should offer raymond + bieksa.
it's not an overpayment imo.

he was actually one of the guys other than chara and lucic that stood out in the playoffs. in the 4 games that he played, he scored 3 goals and 1 assist. although he had a poor regular season at 37 pts, i expect a solid 50-60 from him in the upcoming years. the guy is only 20 and has lots of potential.

Quote:
Owns electric skating ability and a howitzer of a shot. Can line up at all three forward positions. Is an exceptional dangler.
that sounds exactly like the type of player the new nhl is built for
although he is 6'0 192lbs, i think that is adequate for 2nd line duties.

and the best thing about him is that he is very versatile. he can be both a right-winger and center.

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:50 AM
unknown

what is bostons cap situation after the murray buyout? dont think they can add another 4 mill to their current salary.

not only that but how does kessel make this team better next year? you subtract one young player who put up decent numbers a gritty dman who can put up good numbers and replace them with potential. sure kessel will be a top line player but i dont think he improves the team right now for what it would take to acquire him.

unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Core

Raymond and Bieksa for Kessel is an overpayment beyond anything else. I wouldn't even trade one of them for Kessel.

He is a player that has a lot of potential, but you are overrating him at this moment.

Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:30 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck4life View Post
If this guy is on the block, he would fit into our lineup with ease. ??With Bergeron coming back (had a serious concussion)??, savard at center. and with the recent acquisitions of ryder and wheeler, i'm not sure if he is in boston's plans. and he is not a left-winger (ala lucic). so the only place left for him is on the pp or the 3rd line.

i think we should definitely drop the ball for this guy even if the price might be a little steep. rumours say that boston is looking for defensive depth. i think we should offer raymond + bieksa.
it's not an overpayment imo.

he was actually one of the guys other than chara and lucic that stood out in the playoffs. in the 4 games that he played, he scored 3 goals and 1 assist. although he had a poor regular season at 37 pts, i expect a solid 50-60 from him in the upcoming years. the guy is only 20 and has lots of potential.

that sounds exactly like the type of player the new nhl is built for
although he is 6'0 192lbs, i think that is adequate for 2nd line duties.

and the best thing about him is that he is very versatile. he can be both a right-winger and center.

saying Kessel is not part of their plan is probably one of the dumbest things ive heard buddy... honestly...

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:39 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Quote:
If this guy is on the block, he would fit into our lineup with ease. ??With Bergeron coming back (had a serious concussion)??, savard ......

Exacetly, thus he will be the right wing for Bergeron.
Kessel is not going anywhere.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
ttam103

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post
Raymond and Bieksa for Kessel is an overpayment beyond anything else. I wouldn't even trade one of them for Kessel.

He is a player that has a lot of potential, but you are overrating him at this moment.
Laugh.

I'd do that trade without blinking.

Hell, id make the fax myself.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post

Um, you are the one doing the overrating.

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Barney Gumble

He would cost the Canucks alot more than what Gillis would be willing to give. Bruins have trouble scoring goals - why the heck would they trade him?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

I say we trade for him and then go after Klesla.

It would be quite entertaining listening to Kneel and Bob struggle calling a game with Kesler, Kessel and Klesla all on the ice at the same time.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Jonathan Iilahti*

I would do that in a heartbeat.

Jonathan Iilahti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Reign Nateo

Why would Boston want to deal Kessel at this point? The same reason the Canucks wouldn't overpay for him now. Potential. Kessel has the potential to be a star, but his stock is tarnished a bit at this point. Makes for not the most opportune time to deal someone.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:53 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Kessel will play wing. He's young, fast, has all the skill in the world and he's been improving every year. You dont trade away guys like that for so little.

I think the Bruins would be asking for Edler and more for him. I think if its like Edler + a prospect or a Pettinger type scrub Canucks should consider it.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Kessel will play wing. He's young, fast, has all the skill in the world and he's been improving every year. You dont trade away guys like that for so little.

I think the Bruins would be asking for Edler and more for him. I think if its like Edler + a prospect or a Pettinger type scrub Canucks should consider it.
Agreed. Phil Kessel was a high 1st round draft pick just TWO years ago. The kid is very young and he's putting up respectable numbers given his age. He's going to be a star and I am absolutely baffled that there are trade rumours involving him.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

Why would the Bruins give him up if he is that good for his age? The most logical move the Bruins could do is trade another player to get under the cap.

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:26 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler Kills Kommies View Post
Why would the Bruins give him up if he is that good for his age? The most logical move the Bruins could do is trade another player to get under the cap.
Well looking at their roster and cap space, Kessel could be simply a victim of the numbers game. As retarded as that may sound. He's a RFA next season and they already have about 42M committed to 14 players. He'll likely get a raise to about 3.5-4 million...possibly even more based on what we've seen big name RFA's sign for (anyone else think Lou got a steal with the Parise contract?). They already have guys like Savard, Bergeron, Ryder, Krejci, Sturm, and Kobasew who can play in the top 6. Axelsson, Schaefer and Lucic would round out the top 9 as I don't think you can keep Lucic on the 4th line.

In reality, signing Michael Ryder was just plain stupid given their roster.

Old
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
In reality, signing Ryder for that kind duration was just plain stupid regardless of your roster (ie., even with the Canucks shortage of right wingers - it would've been a stupid contract to give him).

Old
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
BoyntBergie

Given Ryder's history of success with Julien, I think it made sense.

Kessel's name pops up in rumors so often because:
a) he's one of our more valuable (and some would say expendable) chips if we were to make a move
b) the B's are trying to build a team that is hard to play against, and Kessel isn't really of that ilk. He was credited for a hit about once in every 7-8 games last season (something like 11 hits thrown all season).

From my perspective, he does have great upside. He could end up a perennial 30-40 goal scorer, or he could end up Samsonov Redux. Regardless, he absolutely has areas of his game he needs to iron out (as do most players his age), but the potential for excellence is there.

Personally, I am not enamoured with him, but at the same time, I wouldn't deal him unless the return was pretty good, given what his ceiling is. Assuming Bieksa is healthy and fully recovered, I would probably take him and a 2nd/3rd rounder for Phil.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
nuck4life*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
He would cost the Canucks alot more than what Gillis would be willing to give. Bruins have trouble scoring goals - why the heck would they trade him?
they need d, and we're giving them bieksa. a right-handed defensemen for their pp. outside of dennis wideman and chara, their d lacks an offensive punch.

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
they need d, and we're giving them bieksa. a right-handed defensemen for their pp. outside of dennis wideman and chara, their d lacks an offensive punch.
One could say the same about the Canucks "D" (re: "offensive punch") once you take out Bieksa.

I just don't think we're a great fit as trading partners.

It'll cost the Canucks at least Edler+ to get Kessel IMHO.

Old
08-04-2008, 05:11 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pauser View Post
Well looking at their roster and cap space, Kessel could be simply a victim of the numbers game. As retarded as that may sound. He's a RFA next season and they already have about 42M committed to 14 players. He'll likely get a raise to about 3.5-4 million...possibly even more based on what we've seen big name RFA's sign for (anyone else think Lou got a steal with the Parise contract?). They already have guys like Savard, Bergeron, Ryder, Krejci, Sturm, and Kobasew who can play in the top 6. Axelsson, Schaefer and Lucic would round out the top 9 as I don't think you can keep Lucic on the 4th line.

Doesnt it make more sense to dump Ryder Sturm or Kobasew first? Or even multiples of them?

Savard Bergeron Kejci Kessel form the core of a very impressive top 2 lines that are signed for relative peanuts. Lucic might step into the top 2 lines and they also have Zach Hamill who might be ready in 2 or 3 years.

The only way Kessel could conceivably ask for enough money to make Boston think about trading him is if he puts up about a 85+ point season. Anything else he's probably making in the 4M range where they easily keep him. If he has a good enough season that he can realistically demand 5.5+M then his price in a trade will be sky high. They'd probably want Edler (assuming he continues to develop) + Hodgson + more.

Remember they already got burned by this once in the Brad Boyes trade they wont make the same mistake again.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Doesnt it make more sense to dump Ryder Sturm or Kobasew first? Or even multiples of them?

Savard Bergeron Kejci Kessel form the core of a very impressive top 2 lines that are signed for relative peanuts. Lucic might step into the top 2 lines and they also have Zach Hamill who might be ready in 2 or 3 years.

The only way Kessel could conceivably ask for enough money to make Boston think about trading him is if he puts up about a 85+ point season. Anything else he's probably making in the 4M range where they easily keep him. If he has a good enough season that he can realistically demand 5.5+M then his price in a trade will be sky high. They'd probably want Edler (assuming he continues to develop) + Hodgson + more.

Remember they already got burned by this once in the Brad Boyes trade they wont make the same mistake again.
Except they just signed Ryder so why would they dump him? I believe Kobasew is on his newly extended contract as well.

Old
08-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Angelo25

Kessel has never been the player i would trade for. I would much rather keep raymond.

Angelo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 09:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjose View Post
Kessel has never been the player i would trade for. I would much rather keep raymond.
Care to explain why?

Old
08-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Meganuck*

Raymond and Bieksa is overpayment. WAAAY to much!

Krajicek & 2nd for Kessel.

Bada Bing!

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Kesler Kills Kommies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Raymond and Bieksa is overpayment. WAAAY to much!

Krajicek & 2nd for Kessel.

Bada Bing!
Whoever is in charge for boston laughs at you

Kesler Kills Kommies is offline   Reply With Quote