HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro's worth

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Wildbeliefs

vCash: 500
Ribeiro's worth

Let me start by saying that I am not at this point interested in having any "Koivu vs Ribeiro" discussions, nor do I have it in for Ribeiro, or adore Koivu, or what not. Also, keep in mind that I'm not insinuating that Ribeiro should be traded. Ok, now that the disclaimer is out of the way...

What do you guys think Ribeiro would be worth around the league? He's cheap, young, and shows offensive upside with his incredible vision on the ice. On the negative side, he's cocky, somewhat slow, small and weak.

Before the season started, I doubt Ribeiro was worth more than a bag of peanuts to other teams, but seeing as how he's been putting up the numbers so far this season, do you think other teams around the league would give Ribs a second look?

Old
02-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
I don't think he would bring very good value in a trade. Teams aren't willing to take a chance on him.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
02-20-2004, 01:40 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
Let me start by saying that I am not at this point interested in having any "Koivu vs Ribeiro" discussions, nor do I have it in for Ribeiro, or adore Koivu, or what not. Also, keep in mind that I'm not insinuating that Ribeiro should be traded. Ok, now that the disclaimer is out of the way...

What do you guys think Ribeiro would be worth around the league? He's cheap, young, and shows offensive upside with his incredible vision on the ice. On the negative side, he's cocky, somewhat slow, small and weak.

Before the season started, I doubt Ribeiro was worth more than a bag of peanuts to other teams, but seeing as how he's been putting up the numbers so far this season, do you think other teams around the league would give Ribs a second look?
I'd say his value would be similar to Dan Brière. I think he'd have gone untouched ion waivers at season's start but that he could get something like Chris Gratton now...

Old
02-20-2004, 01:50 AM
#44_delivers

i think his value now would be just a bit below comrie's

Old
02-20-2004, 01:54 AM
Wildbeliefs

Wow. 3 replies, and 3 different opinions... not a good value, Chris Gratton value, and almost Comrie value. Interesting...

You guys think this should be asked on another board? Maybe the trade board or something?

Old
02-20-2004, 01:55 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Wow. 3 replies, and 3 different opinions... not a good value, Chris Gratton value, and almost Comrie value. Interesting...

You guys think this should be asked on another board? Maybe the trade board or something?
Sure, it'd be interesting to know what fans from other teams think.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:57 AM
justicex

raising

The cons:

Bad background ( many years of ping pong )
Small and low muscles
Only one complet and good NHL season.

The pro:

Super playmaker
Skills raising a lot this year
Still young
One of best CH this year

===

That said, I dont think his value is very high, and would not be enouph high for a trade. I think Ribs can bring way more points and maybe goals than anyone we could trade on 1 player vs Ribs.

His value is maybe a 2nd or 3rd draft choice atm. But his value is raising a lot since the begining of the season and if next year is the same ( if any hockey there is ) then he might reach a very interesting value.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:02 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
do it up bro

Old
02-20-2004, 02:07 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:

That would be interesting to see other people take on him.....

I will have to go with #44_delivers and say that his value is just below Comrie. I think Ribs would be best suited to play in the Western Conference actually...

Old
02-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
do it up bro
done.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=894294#post894294

Old
02-20-2004, 02:12 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
excellent bro i bet the answers are going to vary alote, but should be intresting.:]

Old
02-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
excellent bro i bet the answers are going to vary alote, but should be intresting.:]
I'm sure it will... I'm curious to see what other teams' fans think of Ribs.

Anyways, I'll check it out tommorow. I'm out for now; gotta wake up in 4 hours and go to work. G'nite all.

Old
02-20-2004, 07:46 AM
caper13

i think he feels he is better than his captain he is just a kid and just a little tooooo cocky imo i think his value would be low right now maybe a 3rd line grinder and a 3rd round pick imho.

Old
02-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Darz

I would say between Daniel Briere and Mike Comrie, closer to Briere mind you. I think if he can but together back to back good seasons (60+ points) and show he can keep it going in the post season his value would jump up quite a bit.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Wildbeliefs

You know, I created that thread in "National Hockey League Talk", because I wanted to get an opinion on Ribeiro from fans of other teams, and NOT Montrealers. But, much to my dismay, I went to check that thread and there were more Habs fans that posted than others.

..sigh..

Old
02-20-2004, 12:59 PM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
I don't think he would bring very good value in a trade. Teams aren't willing to take a chance on him.

Unbiased Canadian
GREAT AVATAR......Don " The Biased Bigot " Cherry with a visor

Old
02-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Corey

The consensus appears to be about right. Ribeiro has improved but he is not regarded as highly as a number of younger forwards who have come into the NHL in the past few years, such as Kovalchuk, Heatley, Nash, Staal, or even Bergeron. The Habs fans are desperately searching for a new hero, particularly a French-speaking one. IMO they're awarding him a few extra points for that.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Ace2000

Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
i think ribeiro's value has risen quite a lot this year but i still think that other GMs are reluctant to pick him up cause of his small stature. Not only that though but this is his 1st full season and if he produces next year at about the same rate, i'm sure his value would rise a whole lot faster. GMs wait and see if a player can be productive more than 1 season at a time.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
All-Star

Quote:
You know, I created that thread in "National Hockey League Talk", because I wanted to get an opinion on Ribeiro from fans of other teams, and NOT Montrealers. But, much to my dismay, I went to check that thread and there were more Habs fans that posted than others.

..sigh..
First of all it should have been posted in the trade proposals board to get a maximum number of responses. People there like to talk about players' values.

Second of all you might want to try again, but put (No Habs Fans) in the title. Most people will respect that.

Good Luck if you try it again.

Old
02-20-2004, 03:02 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I would guess that his value is somewhere around that of Scott Gomez. They strike me as similar type players, though Ribeiro is the better scorer while Gomez is the beefier player. I would say they're in the same category.

He might be worth a young Brendan Morrison, who went for Mogilny at the deadline a few years ago, but who knows, really.

Ribeiro seems destined for a Gomez or Morrison type career, a very good playmaker who can be excellent on the PP, but otherwise limited in other aspects of the game. In any case, I would be surprised if he became far better than either of them.

Old
02-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Didn't we received a 2nd or 3rd against Chouinard? Ribeiro is worth atleast 25 Chouinard right now.

I'm not saying he's worth Kovalchuk, but I think the posters who came up with this kind of value should think again.

Old
02-20-2004, 06:41 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Didn't we received a 2nd or 3rd against Chouinard? Ribeiro is worth atleast 25 Chouinard right now.

I'm not saying he's worth Kovalchuk, but I think the posters who came up with this kind of value should think again.
That 2nd we got for Chouinard is what most people call a steal... He certainly wasn't worth that. If we're talking picks, I'd say Ribs is worth a mid first rounder (10 to 20)...

Old
02-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
That 2nd we got for Chouinard is what most people call a steal... He certainly wasn't worth that. If we're talking picks, I'd say Ribs is worth a mid first rounder (10 to 20)...
Like Kastsitsyn?

Old
02-20-2004, 07:14 PM
tnq

i will never trade Ribeiro, but i will trade Koivu if i was Bob Gainey because:
- Rib is young
- Rib is not expensive
- Rib is a star rising and he is improving alot compared to 2 years ago
- Rib is french speaker (many quebecers need that )
- Rib doesn't have a great value according to others DG.
If he can add about 10-20 lbs of muscle, he (6')is a much better center than Koivu (5'10). Do you think in 2 yrs, Rib is unless as good as Koivu right now ? If people consider themselve as Hab's fans. They have to support the team with or without their favorite player.

Old
02-20-2004, 07:15 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Like Kastsitsyn?
Kastitsyn is still unproven compared to Ribeiro. Although Ribs may have a lower ceiling, there is a mesure of security with aquiring him because teams know what he can do. They know that if they put him between two good wingers, he's going to produce well. So my answer is yes his value is like Kastitsyn, but for different reasons.

Closed Thread