HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dont think this was posted by anyone

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
The Leafs are deep up front, but also old and injury prone. If a couple of their top guys go down with injuries they will be in trouble, getting a younger, non-injury prone foward on the roster would be a big help. Also Belfour doesn't play well when he knows theres someone in the wings, waiting to take his job (look at what happened with Turco in Dallas). If Belfours not going to be able to play int he playoffs, fine get Kolzig, but if hes going to be "good to go", don't bother.

walknucklers - I would guess Kaberle, someone like Wellwood or Bell, and a pick. Maybe Antropov or Pony.
Sluggo you have posted this same thought many many times... and so we understand where you stand on the subject and understand the older/cronic injury forwards theory...but I still don't agree with it... How will you know Eddie is good to go ... He has a cronic bad back problem for years now and older than all the forwards are ..... and if Belfour went down LEAFS would have Zero chance, while if a forward like Mogilny or Nolan or Roberts or Nieuwendyk went down ... Leafs would miss them but still be competitive as Mogilny's absense most of this year has proven or Roberts last year.. and still believe the Defense is the number one error of weakness without considering injuries..

Todays rumours swirling are ..

According to sources, the B's have had an interest for some time in acquiring skillful, hard-driving winger Jeff O'Neill. The 'Canes won't rule out a trade of the 28-year-old, but figure he'd come at a high cost.

"I think you'd be talking Sergei Samsonov and then probably something more,'' said one NHL scout."

http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...?articleid=363

That to me is costly and I don't see how Leafs could make that move in light of the leaky Defense and current injury conmcern over Belfours back.....

Last edited by Mess: 02-21-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old
02-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Gonchar, Whitt, Kolzig.. Dam that IMO would cost quite a bit on Toronto's end.
I think if Toronto trades for another starter like Kolzig it's because Belfour would have confermed he is going to hang em up after this season. And they know Telly is not going to be ready to start so he will get the backup roll. Landing Kolzig makes alot of sense for Toronto. Not only does it give you the option for 2 Quality goalies in Belfour & Kolzig but it gives Toronto the option to rest Eddie and his back a little more give him a few more nights off comming up to the playoffs. And Kolzig is no slouch himself when this guy is on his game he is every bit as good as any top goalie in the league. Would be a good move to try and land him in the package though I don't know what Washington would want in return??? And Whitt.. I think this just might be someone's wet dream thinking all 3 would be in the same package...
As far fetched as the rumour is ..... I can see why its either possibly being discussed or why some made it it, with some good logic .... Fergy is a real bright guy and I could see him pulling off such a blockbuster .... Particulary since he has inside knowledge of Belfours situation and Leafs chances with out him ...and the thing that makes sense about the rumour IMO is that Fergy could make all the trades for forwards or Dmen and if Kidd is our goalie in the Playoffs it would be a monumental mistake...

Old
02-21-2004, 10:44 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

why is it all the leaf rumors come with significant grains of salt
if its a rumor outside toronto we all stand to attention,
w.ooo.aaaa.hhhh....
then 24 hrs later it gets denied by the brass
w.oo.aaa.hhhh

often the deals come like mysteries
there's an eerie quiet with no rumors in sight
and then; BANG!

the leafs are believed to be working on a deal that would send so and so for so and so and it could happen before the end of the day...
until i hear that then i'm not getting excited

Old
02-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
why is it all the leaf rumors come with significant grains of salt
if its a rumor outside toronto we all stand to attention,
w.ooo.aaaa.hhhh....
then 24 hrs later it gets denied by the brass
w.oo.aaa.hhhh

often the deals come like mysteries
there's an eerie quiet with no rumors in sight
and then; BANG!

the leafs are believed to be working on a deal that would send so and so for so and so and it could happen before the end of the day...
until i hear that then i'm not getting excited
Its easy to dismiss the Al Strachan and Larry Brooks and Bruce Garrioch rumours but when TSN and BoB Mackenzie or Sportsnet are reporting them I tend to pay a little more attention..as I think where there is smoke there is often fire...

Old
02-21-2004, 11:01 AM
sluggo*

Quote:
Sluggo you have posted this same thought many many times... and so we understand where you stand on the subject and understand the older/cronic injury forwards theory...but I still don't agree with it
But you don't want the Leafs to win a cup, so I'm not sure susprised you don't agree with it.

Quote:
How will you know Eddie is good to go
I guess no one explained this to you, but the Leafs have a medical staff there to check the players out. They can pretty much tell how bad his back is, and whether or not he'll be able too play, and I'm sure Belfour knows how good hes feeling.

Quote:
while if a forward like Mogilny or Nolan or Roberts or Nieuwendyk went down ... Leafs would miss them but still be competitive
Given the Leafs current position, competitive isn't good enough. Competitive is ony good enough for losers who don't want to do whats needed to do to win.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
But you don't want the Leafs to win a cup, so I'm not sure susprised you don't agree with it.

I guess no one explained this to you, but the Leafs have a medical staff there to check the players out. They can pretty much tell how bad his back is, and whether or not he'll be able too play, and I'm sure Belfour knows how good hes feeling.

Given the Leafs current position, competitive isn't good enough. Competitive is ony good enough for losers who don't want to do whats needed to do to win.
To me the Goalie situation is exactly the same as the FORWARDS yet because of the scarsity of the goalies 2 per team verses forwards 12 + per team that the goalie position is more crucial....

When have you ever heard a team give an honest account of the seriousness of the injury ...and when the playoffs begin it gets even worse ... We hear UPPER body injury or Lower body injury... nothing more ...

Your whole point of getting O'Neill or a young forward is based on the possiblility that one or more of the old forwards that have a history of cronic injuries , could be out,(insurance policy if yoiu like) yet you dismiss the possiblility that a 40 year old goalie with a Cronic bad back will be fine ... Thats my point ... He has missed 5 of the last 6 games ...and his back problem could be serious , and it is current rather than saying Nolan's back could be a problem, Eddie's already is ..and he is ruled out again tonight according to MAPLELEAFS.COM

and even you would have to admit that Leafs biggest weakness excluding a healthy Belfour is on Defense ....

Last edited by Mess: 02-21-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Closed Thread