HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler news and the Blog report - Aug 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Raoul Duke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouzar View Post
Yeah, he really "exposed" me as a blogger, even though it's been in my HF profile for three years.
The hypocrisy, not being a blogger.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

Sorry Pouzar I am not buying.

This comment by you set me off.

Fair enough, although I think I've been rather tame. Aside from saying some positive things, I've made jokes about some HF boarders being orcs or dimwits, but we are talking about a web board afterall. I mean, who here wants to defend a not-so-veiled HF Boarder opinion that the beheaded Greyhound kid (who is native) was asking for it?

What was the point of that comment?

Perhaps you can enlighten me?

So if I register and make a stupid comment on your blog does that somehow discredit you and your website?

Old
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Nowhere have I declared I was speaking on anyone else's behalf. .
How else can I characterize someone who takes personal umbrage at rather tame jokes made at a general web board's expense?

It's obvious that from the beginning of this thread that you were spoiling for a fight, talking past me to an audience with this "exposed" nonsense, so an actual conversation wasn't even possible.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
How else can I characterize someone who takes personal umbrage at rather tame jokes made at a general web board's expense?
Your attempt now to reframe the "jokes" as "tame" is, once again, phony baloney. You meant what you said, and readers here know the connection. Now you're in damage control, but in a tailspin.

Quote:
It's obvious that from the beginning of this thread that you were spoiling for a fight, talking past me to an audience with this "exposed" nonsense, so an actual conversation wasn't even possible.
Oh, I do apologize for not trying to engage you in a rational discussion about your repeated characterizations of HFOilers. I'm just a slobbering orc, after all.

Note that my first question involved the least insulting thing you said, to which you replied with something more insulting. So, in fact, you were the one spoiling for a fight from the beginning. I was initially trying to figure out what was going on.

You should seriously consider moving on from this thread. Not that you care, but I've lost a bit of respect for you. I'm sure you'll cry yourself to sleep tonight.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:31 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

What I find amazing is that you show your dislike about Hockeysfuture (shown in this thread)and then advertize your blog in that same forum.

To me that is hypocritical.

I have no idea what you said in your thread but your comments here have shown your true feelings.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Sorry Pouzar I am not buying.

This comment by you set me off.

Fair enough, although I think I've been rather tame. Aside from saying some positive things, I've made jokes about some HF boarders being orcs or dimwits, but we are talking about a web board afterall. I mean, who here wants to defend a not-so-veiled HF Boarder opinion that the beheaded Greyhound kid (who is native) was asking for it?

What was the point of that comment?

Perhaps you can enlighten me?

So if I register and make a stupid comment on your blog does that somehow discredit you and your website?
Discredit? No, not at all. I was defending my right to make a joke.

Look, a web board is always going to be a bit open and wild, with people from all walks of life (whether it be vaguely racist, as discussed above, or thoughtful and decent), although it does skew younger. I honestly it's a matter of the medium: if someone like Lowetide throws up a well thought-out post midway through a thread, all it takes is someone to throw up a lame, emoticon-only reply before it gets buried. Stuff gets lost. Other things, however, are better suited for web boards, like breaking news and game day threads. I think we can all agree there are strengths/weaknesses? That's all I've been driving at.

But it's not a homogenous group, so why defend it like it is one?

PS: Man, now I really regret post the URL. What a can of worms.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
PS: Man, now I really regret post the URL. What a can of worms.
You regret posting the URL but not what you wrote. I think that says it all.

Even if you hadn't posted the URL, we would have made the connection sooner or later. I'm glad it was sooner.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
Your attempt now to reframe the "jokes" as "tame" is, once again, phony baloney
I'm sorry, I find hard to believe that a grown man (unless they were maybe home-schooled?) would find "slobbering orcs" to be anything but tame.

Old
08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
You regret posting the URL but not what you wrote. I think that says it all.
This doesn't even make sense.

I regret posting the URL because it's been mischaracterized as "promotion" when I don't make a dime off of the blog and update it only when I feel like it.You'd think I was hawking Amyway products from the hostile reaction.

Here I thought I was bored at work, sharing a Tambellini anecdote (yes, an anecdote) on the Oilers with fans during a slow news day. Of course, everything has to be black-and-white on this thread.

Last edited by Pouzar: 08-03-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old
08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
I'm sorry, I find hard to believe that a grown man (unless they were maybe home-schooled?) would find "slobbering orcs" to be anything but tame.
So now you've gotten to the low point where you have to resort to personally insulting me. Thank you again for raising the level of discourse here.

Old
08-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
So now you've gotten to the low point where you have to resort to personally insulting me. Thank you again for raising the level of discourse here.
That wasn't an insult. I was being serious.

Old
08-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
That wasn't an insult. I was being serious.
Right. So are you done now?

Old
08-03-2008, 04:35 PM
aristotle siltanen

and at this point we can all begin to understand the reasons why it is so difficult to steal candy from a baby...

sour grapes- and please stop releasing the hounds!

Old
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
IceDragoon

The nerve of some bloggers...
posting a link to their Oilers blog in a thread titled, "Oilers news and the Blog report...".
And we can'ts has anyone calling us a bunch of "slobbering orcs" now... cans we, my preciousss.

Break out the tar and feathers... or is this a "pitchforks and torches" offence?
I can never get them straight.

Good grief, people.
Grow some thicker skin, will you?

*sheesh*

Last edited by IceDragoon: 08-03-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon View Post
Good grief, people.

*sheesh*
You think that two comments is it?

A cursory search through his Web site reveals these gems to go along with the others:

"And, a small item: I often spot PunjabiOil slaying dinks and mouthbreathers on HF Boards, a tireless and thankless task."

"Hopefully, this dink contingent is a minority restricted to web boards and call-in shows and real, sentient Edmontonians will give Smyth the polite ovation that he deserves upon returning in October."

"...(no joke: HF Boards currently has a thread about Sam Gagner playing on the first line with Ales Hemsky). I may not share that kind of deluded projection..."

"...my fandom has been characterized by apathy, a renewed love of baseball and tremulous fits of rage, usually in the form of spittle directed at the dimwads on HF Boards."

"...Today I did something horrible: I spent a few hours on HF Boards arguing about Ryan Smyth with Oilers lemmings. I know, I know. It's lame."

"I have a second favourite comment, this one from hfboards. The whole post is a thing of beauty, really, and I recommend reading it here (scroll down to s7ark). In the middle of an immensely elaborate theory involving trade-and-sign deal outlined above, he drops this nugget:

'So [Lowe] picks a team with a rookie GM known for some boneheaded moves and makes him an offer. He doesn't rip him off because Lowe is a politician and has his eye on Bettman's chair eventually (hence no Okposo).' -s7ark, hfboards

There's drinking Kool Aid, and then there's drinking semen. Wow."

Thin skin?

Or has HFOil finally gotten tired of getting the Brian Burke treatment?

Mike Winters is talking out of both sides of his mouth. Ultimately, he's hoisted himself with his own petard

That was just one small search through one blog. I wonder what the other blogs have?

Old
08-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Schitzo

In my mind, the bottom line is that there is a ton of chaff to seperate on HF before you find wheat.

There's a reason why "take it back to HFBoards" is the standard response to stupid trade proposals on other hockey message boards.

That doesn't mean that there's no posts of value here, it just means that you have to look harder to find them. Why anyone would take personal offence to this, I have no idea.

Old
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
In my mind, the bottom line is that there is a ton of chaff to seperate on HF before you find wheat.

There's a reason why "take it back to HFBoards" is the standard response to stupid trade proposals on other hockey message boards.

That doesn't mean that there's no posts of value here, it just means that you have to look harder to find them. Why anyone would take personal offence to this, I have no idea.
"Communications technology has expanded the cultural space. We now have thousands of specialized magazines, newsletters, and Web sites catering to every social, ethnic, religious, and professional clique. You can construct your own multimedia community, in which every magazine you read, every cable show you watch, every radio station you listen to, reaffirms your values and reinforces the sense of your own rightness. It is possible, maybe even inevitable, that you will slide into a solipsism that allows you precious little contact with people totally unlike yourself. But in your enclosed sphere you will feel very important."

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200211/brooks

Old
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
IceDragoon

Be careful what you say on the internets, people.
Someone may do a search to point out that you are not perfect.

oops... too late...
Quote:
You think that two comments is it?

A cursory search through his Web site reveals these gems to go along with the others:

"And, a small item: I often spot PunjabiOil slaying dinks and mouthbreathers on HF Boards, a tireless and thankless task."

"Hopefully, this dink contingent is a minority restricted to web boards and call-in shows and real, sentient Edmontonians will give Smyth the polite ovation that he deserves upon returning in October."

"...(no joke: HF Boards currently has a thread about Sam Gagner playing on the first line with Ales Hemsky). I may not share that kind of deluded projection..."

"...my fandom has been characterized by apathy, a renewed love of baseball and tremulous fits of rage, usually in the form of spittle directed at the dimwads on HF Boards."

"...Today I did something horrible: I spent a few hours on HF Boards arguing about Ryan Smyth with Oilers lemmings. I know, I know. It's lame."

"I have a second favourite comment, this one from hfboards. The whole post is a thing of beauty, really, and I recommend reading it here (scroll down to s7ark). In the middle of an immensely elaborate theory involving trade-and-sign deal outlined above, he drops this nugget:

'So [Lowe] picks a team with a rookie GM known for some boneheaded moves and makes him an offer. He doesn't rip him off because Lowe is a politician and has his eye on Bettman's chair eventually (hence no Okposo).' -s7ark, hfboards

There's drinking Kool Aid, and then there's drinking semen. Wow."

Thin skin?

Mike Winters is talking out of both sides of his mouth. Ultimately, he's hoisted himself with his own petard

That was just one small search through one blog. I wonder what the other blogs have?
If this upsets you... well then... you're upset... to the point of searching for his indiscretions (your excuses) to validate your hurt feelings. Has he injured you in some way? ... besides belittling the place you like to talk hockey, I mean. Because, this sniping is way beyond rational discourse.

I thought this place embraced differing opinions.
Guess I was wrong.

There you go, I'm not perfect either.

Old
08-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
Thin skin?

More cherry-picking, huh?

I stand by everything I said, as colourful (and un-family friendly) as it may be. The last one isn't mine, btw (there are others that write for the blog). Anyway... people wanted to boo Smyth when he first played in Edmonton after the trade? That's idiotic. People wanted Gagner on the first line early in the season? I thought that was terrible idea. I've spittled in anger on this board and blown off some steam on my personal blog? Run for the hills.

You seem to be looking for hypocrisy because I've criticized the web board at some point.

Big deal. I've made fun of the subway and complained about it, but I still use it every day to go to work. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Old
08-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
posting a link to their Oilers blog in a thread titled, "Oilers news and the Blog report...".
And we can'ts has anyone calling us a bunch of "slobbering orcs" now... cans we, my preciousss.

Break out the tar and feathers... or is this a "pitchforks and torches" offence?

Good grief, people.

*sheesh*
I am a little surprised ID. You are usually the one who looks at the whole picture with any given situation (one of the reasons I love your posts so much on HF and in blog comments - I get so much insight from you and that is appreciated). Thinking that this reaction only has to do with one single slobbering Orcs comment seems a like a very narrow view of the picture.

To me it is like judging the entire Burke and Lowe fued upon only one single solitary early comment such as Burke saying Lowe paid too much on his offer sheet and messed things up for other teams. Then asking why anyone is so upset about it? We both know it is deeper than that, it is based on a whole lot of attacks over an extended period of time. The fact that this particular comment is 3 years old and you can go find similar ones today on many blogs should illustrate this point.

Also I see nothing wrong with Pouzar putting his blog in here. In fact I am glad he did because I enjoyed the read. He had more insight on what Tambellini has done in the past than anything else I have read. It was a really nice piece of work digging that up and putting it together IMO. I like his blog in general. But does that also mean that nothing negative should be pointed out as well to go along with the praise?

I definitely do not think Pouzar should be tarred and feathered for his comment. But it was on there in the link he posted so it should open for discussion I suppose.

Old
08-03-2008, 06:42 PM
theoil

Quote:

Good grief, people.

*sheesh*
Sorry IceDragoon, I have a lot of respect for the work you have done on this board in the past and I have stayed out of this pretty much but I won't let this pass.

This crap and BS has been going on for a long time now and I think you'll find that an increasingly large number of posters here have just had enough. By the time you have respected and moderate posters like HillbillyPriest and Oilerdiehard jumping into threads like this you gotta believe it is long overdue.

You want thicker skin - tell the bloggers to grow it. They have been writing **** like this for several years now without response from this board which, apparently has a lot more class than them regardless of their opinion.

And I sure am glad none of them ever wrote anything stupid like they wanted to fire Lowe or send Stortini to Stockton or thought Nillson was a dud or assured the world the Oilers would be a lottery team last year or that Conklin and Markkenen would provide 'league average goaltending'. As a group their collective wisdom has them batting 8th hoping their average doesn't dip below .240.

And Pouzar - Giant Moo has been right from the beginning of this thread. You behaved like a bully when he repeated your original quote and you quickly moved to acting like an ********. Then, of course, Giant Moo went to the trouble - did the work, as some bloggers like to characterize things, and showed that you are also a liar as well. Way to make mom proud.

Old
08-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Be careful what you say on the internets, people.
Someone may do a search to point out that you are not perfect.

oops... too late...

If this upsets you... well then... you're upset... to the point of searching for his indiscretions (your excuses) to validate your hurt feelings. Has he injured you in some way? ... besides belittling the place you like to talk hockey, I mean. Because, this sniping is way beyond rational discourse.

I thought this place embraced differing opinions.
Guess I was wrong.

There you go, I'm not perfect either.
I am surprised you consider what he has written to be simply a "differing opinion".

Please feel free to point out exactly where in those quotations there is an opinion being expressed versus being incendiary.

If people wrote those kinds of things on HFBoards but claimed it was merely an "opinion" being given, do you think that would leave them immune to moderators?

There's arguing the merits of a case -- i.e. having a discussion -- and there's being deliberately insulting for the sake of being insulting.

Old
08-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
If people wrote those kinds of things on HFBoards but claimed it was merely an "opinion" being given, do you think that would leave them immune to moderators?
But those cherry-picked quotes were not posted on HF Boards, at least until you published them. They are from my personal blog, and now you seem to want to moderate that, too.

Some web boards give out warnings to people for backseat moderating, which is starting to sound like a good idea.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out why you care so much.

To recap: I linked to an Oilers-related anecdote on a "Oilers news and blogs" thread.

Old
08-03-2008, 08:16 PM
theoil

Quote:
But those cherry-picked quotes were not posted on HF Boards, at least until you published them. They are from my personal blog, and now you seem to want to moderate that, too.

Some web boards give out warnings to people for backseat moderating, which is starting to sound like a good idea.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out why you care so much.

To recap: I linked to an Oilers-related anecdote on a "Oilers news and blogs" thread.
So if I call you names here I could go over to your blog and be your good buddy? Good to know that location is so important when being a self-important *****.

Just keep digging Pouzar. You're only up to your eyballs so far. I'm sure you can dig deeper.

Old
08-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Pouzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
So if I call you names here I could go over to your blog and be your good buddy? Good to know that location is so important when being a self-important *****.

Just keep digging Pouzar. You're only up to your eyballs so far. I'm sure you can dig deeper.
Did I ever say anything personal about you? Nope. Keep pretending this is an us vs them bloggers thing.

Closed Thread