HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chasing The Calder...

Old
08-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Chasing The Calder...

Here are the last 10 winners of the Calder Trophy.

Year-Player-Team-Age By End Of Season
2008 Patrick Kane Chicago Blackhawks 19
2007 Evgeni Malkin Pittsburgh Penguins 20
2006 Alexander Ovechkin Washington Capitals 20
2004 Andrew Raycroft Boston Bruins 24
2003 Barett Jackman St. Louis Blues 21
2002 Dany Heatley Atlanta Thrashers 22
2001 Evgeni Nabokov San Jose Sharks 25
2000 Scott Gomez New Jersey Devils 20
1999 Chris Drury Colorado Avalanche 22
1998 Sergei Samsonov Boston Bruins 20

Many people are counting on Stamkos to walk away with this award, but quite frankly, looking back on the players ages that have won the Trophy in the past 10 years, not one of them was still 18 years of age more than a month into their rookie season. Stamkos will be just a few months younger than Kane (the youngest winner in the last 10 years), and this year will be full of 19 year olds and guys in their early 20's with a lot of talent.

I have personally been saying that Schremp could make a push at the trophy if the stars allign, however guys like Teddy Purcell, Brian Boyle, Kuleminin, Ryan, etc. could all concievably win this thing this year. And IMO it's just about time for a guy in his early-mid 20's to win this thing. Ala Heatley, Drury, or before them Ryder.

This could end up being the best Calder race in quite some time. High end talent under 20, and some high end talent over 20.

Just making the all-rookie team this year will be seen as a huge honour.

Don't be at all surprised to see a guy like Purcell walking away with it because he's on a weak team and he should be getting a fair ammount of ice-time.

08-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Antidote

Stamkos' last two years of junior were impressive - 124 GP 100 97 197 but Purcell has been a PPG+ player every time he's stepped up a league. Being able to adapt quickly to bigger players, faster game etc. should make the difference for the Calder - unless Stamkos plays with Vinnie all year.

Way too many stars to align for Schremp, for sure! He actually had better last two year junior numbers than Stamkos 119GP 98 137 235 but he's in very tough just to play in the league this year - for the Oil anyway!

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:18 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Honestly, it's Stamkos or Turris in my mind. Everyone else would need to break out pretty incredibly, although I think a guy like Giroux has a good shot at surprising some people.

Schremp... unless you mean the Calder Cup, I think it's hard to win this award from the AHL

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:26 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

All of those players had major roles on their teams. If Schremp makes the Oilers out of camp, he'll be quite low on the depth chart, and may also only get 2nd unit powerplay time. IMO, it would take a small miracle for Schremp to even be considered for the Calder.

Stamkos won't be on the top line, but he's all but guaranteed to be in the top 6, and he'll also be getting top unit powerpaly time, and good linemates at ES.

Especially when you take into account guys like Turris, Voracek, Okposo, and Brassard in the mix, I can't see any way Schremp will have a good enough year to be a Calder finalist.

Last edited by misfit: 08-02-2008 at 05:33 PM.
misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:28 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
All of those players had major roles on their teams. If Schremp makes the Oilers out of camp, he'll be quite low on the depth chart, and may also only get 2nd unit powerplay time. IMO, it would take a small miracle for Schremp to even be considered for the Calder.

Stamkos won't be on the top line, but he's all but guaranteed to be in the top 6, and he'll also be getting top unit powerpaly time, and good linemates at ES.
Vrbata and Malone, from what Tampa fans are saying. Although I half expect Malone to be promoted and Prospal sent down (just seems like a better mix).

Stamkos should be the favorite.

Old
08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Vrbata and Malone, from what Tampa fans are saying. Although I half expect Malone to be promoted and Prospal sent down (just seems like a better mix).

Stamkos should be the favorite.
Prospal has always had good chemistry with Lecavalier, so I think Malone and Vrbata was probably a better call. That said, with all the changes that have gone on there, Tampa fans likely don't know any more about what line Malone or Stamkos will be on than we do, and it's really anyone's guess.

Old
08-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Jordan Eberle will be this year's calder trophy winner with 30 goals and 25 assists

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:44 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Jordan Eberle will be this year's calder trophy winner with 30 goals and 25 assists
55 points hasn't been enough to win a Calder since Drury won it with 44 in '99

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Especially when you take into account guys like Turris, Voracek, Okposo, and Brassard in the mix, I can't see any way Schremp will have a good enough year to be a Calder finalist.
The way I see it, Schremp would need someone in the top 6 that also plays on the top PP to get injured to have a shot. I don't want to see it happen, because IMO we'd be better off with Schremp in the line-up in the bottom 6 and 2nd PP unit along with the other player still being healthy.

However if he gets the chance, there's no doubt In my mind that he would tear it up.

Things that Schremp has going for him heading into the season...

1)He'll get some time with Gagner in Europe, Gagner setting him up and vice-versa would be a thing of beauty.

2)He's had great chemistry with Nilsson.

3)He will have played with Nilsson, Gagner, Pouliot, Brodziak, and Gilbert at some point in his career.

4)Management and the teams captain is very high on his newfound workethic.

5)His skill level is right up there with our other highly skilled players.

6)He'd be our best PP option on the RW 1/2 boards in terms of being a shooter and passer (even over Horc who is my favorite current Oiler).

Against him...

1)Numbers, so many players vying for the type of spot that he covets.

2)A coach that is more likely to ride the veterans well before he gives the younger guys a shot (yes even guys like Gagner will have that problem this year).

3)A highly respected team leader plays the same spot on the top PP unit.

4)Tons of competition league wide, guys from his AHL division ALONE that have a shot... Purcell, Boyle, Ryan.

5)Time, time to establish himself to get the minutes neccessary, if he starts off the first 20-25+ games with 4th line minutes and 2nd PP or no PP time, he'll be well behind the 8 ball.

6)Youth already ahead of him, can't just throw them under the bus if they perform poorly, because it could turn them into our version of Brule from Columbus.

It will be a tough haul, but I know that the skill is there, and that he only needs the opportunity to accomplish big things this season.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
55 points hasn't been enough to win a Calder since Samsonov won it with 47 in '98
If he potted 30 goals, that could definitely persuade the voters IMO. 30 goals as an 18 year old??? Unless you expect someone to have a Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin-esque rookie year, that would be a very respectable rookie year.

Old
08-02-2008, 05:49 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
No, but the 30 goals should do it (unless he's one of multiple 30 goal scorers).

Old
08-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
30 goals should do it

Old
08-02-2008, 06:33 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If he potted 30 goals, that could definitely persuade the voters IMO. 30 goals as an 18 year old??? Unless you expect someone to have a Crosby, Ovechkin, or Malkin-esque rookie year, that would be a very respectable rookie year.
It appears both Stamkos and Turris will be playing second line minutes and will likely get 1st PP minutes...you have to like their chances.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Luongo4VP

Schremp will play on the third scoring line this year with Penner and Pisani(If he makes the team).

BBO, In terms of skill, I would rank our young guys:

1.Gagner
2.Cogliano
3.Schremp
4.Nilsson

He is definitely not at the level of Gags or Cogs.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2008, 09:43 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
Schremp will play on the third scoring line this year with Penner and Pisani(If he makes the team).

1.Gagner
2.Cogliano
3.Schremp
4.Nilsson

Poor Pisani gets saddled with Penner and Schremp at even strength? So, not only is Pisani the fastest skater on that line he's one of three on the team who can conceivably outscore 5v5 at this stage and he's going to play with two PP guys?

In terms of skill?

1. Gagner
2. Nilsson
3. Schremp
4. Cogliano

Without a doubt.

Old
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:

1.Gagner
2.Cogliano
3.Schremp
4.Nilsson

In terms of skill, he is well ahead of Cogs. Cogs makes up for it with his speed and grit. Flat out skill??? No question that Schremp has more.

Quote:
Poor Pisani gets saddled with Penner and Schremp at even strength? So, not only is Pisani the fastest skater on that line he's one of three on the team who can conceivably outscore 5v5 at this stage and he's going to play with two PP guys?

In terms of skill?

1. Gagner
2. Nilsson
3. Schremp
4. Cogliano

Without a doubt.
IMO

1) Hemsky
2) Gagner
3) Schremp
4) Nilsson

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Schremp can do everything that Nilsson can and then some, minus his speed.

Passing, stickhandling, puck carrying, etc. are all VERY close. The biggest differences are that Schremp is a better PP QB, knows when to make the simple play, is the better shooter, while Nilsson is the bigger breakaway threat, is more willing to go 1 on the team (good or bad??? It can go both ways IMO), and probably better defensively largely due to his speed.

I also truely believe that the biggest difference between Schremp and Gagner isn't skill, and that they're pretty close in that area, it's Sam's uncanny hockey IQ. Sam's hockey IQ and work ethic along with his skill will be what makes him the player that he will be.

Hemsky has the most skill, but his hockey IQ also pales in comparison to #89.

Old
08-02-2008, 11:46 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
In terms of skill, he is well ahead of Cogs. Cogs makes up for it with his speed and grit. Flat out skill??? No question that Schremp has more.

IMO

1) Hemsky
2) Gagner
3) Schremp
4) Nilsson

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Schremp can do everything that Nilsson can and then some, minus his speed.

Passing, stickhandling, puck carrying, etc. are all VERY close. The biggest differences are that Schremp is a better PP QB, knows when to make the simple play, is the better shooter, while Nilsson is the bigger breakaway threat, is more willing to go 1 on the team (good or bad??? It can go both ways IMO), and probably better defensively largely due to his speed.

I also truely believe that the biggest difference between Schremp and Gagner isn't skill, and that they're pretty close in that area, it's Sam's uncanny hockey IQ. Sam's hockey IQ and work ethic along with his skill will be what makes him the player that he will be.

Hemsky has the most skill, but his hockey IQ also pales in comparison to #89.
Except his speed, his ability to read the play and his ability to score 41 points at the NHL - Schremp is on par with Nilsson. Gee, I wonder why I listed them in the order I did.

Hemsky's on his fifth full season in the bigs. I don't count him anymore.

Old
08-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Except his speed, his ability to read the play and his ability to score 41 points at the NHL - Schremp is on par with Nilsson. Gee, I wonder why I listed them in the order I did.

Hemsky's on his fifth full season in the bigs. I don't count him anymore.
Time to set you straight.

Nilsson was 22 LAST year, Schremp is 22 THIS year. You crapped on Brule for being out produced by a much older Glencross, hell by your logic we should've signed Krog and St. Pierre because they'd be >>>>> Schremp and Nilsson based on stats alone.

There's something to be said about a players ability respective to his age, obviously that concept has flown over your head like an aviater on dope.

FACT-Schremp out-produced Nilsson at 21 years of age in the AHL.

Old
08-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Schitzo

Quote:
Staal did it two years ago and he wasn't close to being a winner.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 12:15 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Time to set you straight.

Nilsson was 22 LAST year, Schremp is 22 THIS year. You crapped on Brule for being out produced by a much older Glencross, hell by your logic we should've signed Krog and St. Pierre because they'd be >>>>> Schremp and Nilsson based on stats alone.

There's something to be said about a players ability respective to his age, obviously that concept has flown over your head like an aviater on dope.

FACT-Schremp out-produced Nilsson at 21 years of age in the AHL.
FACT-Nilsson scored 20 points in 53 games in the NHL as a 20 year old.

FACT-Nilsson's point-per-game average was nearly identical despite playing most of the year on a much worse AHL team, on the second line even.

FACT-Robert Nilsson has scored 41 points in the NHL, Rob Schremp has not. Until he does, this argument is pointless. Just because he's a year younger doesn't mean he's going to replicate it.

Old
08-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Luongo4VP

BBO and SK13 really need to calm down, they're in the same organization guys, why do we debate amongst our own young talents?

I would even respect a Schremp comparison with Ovechkn, over Nilsson, they play IN THE SAME SYSTEM FOR GOD"S SAKE!!!

Old
08-03-2008, 12:28 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
BBO and SK13 really need to calm down, they're in the same organization guys, why do we debate amongst our own young talents?

I would even respect a Schremp comparison with Ovechkn, over Nilsson, they play IN THE SAME SYSTEM FOR GOD"S SAKE!!!
Not all of us are vicious homers who feel the need to put our own players above everyone elses.

Old
08-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Not all of us are vicious homers who feel the need to put our own players above everyone elses.
When have I been like that? I don't put the Oilers players above everyone else. Sure I might make some disliked comparisons, but I don't put our own players above any other player.

You're changing the subject completely, you and BBO are going back and forth over two skilled players in the same org, so what if Nilsson is better than Schremp or Schremp is better than Nilsson, they play for the same team.

Old
08-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
And I was making an extremely far-fetched statement when I said that about comparing with Ovechkin, its a figure of speech.

Old
08-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
Staal did it two years ago and he wasn't close to being a winner.
Yeah but that's really unfair to say cause that year Ovechkin and Crosby were rookies too.