HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Ballard showing off his skills

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2008, 12:38 PM
johano90

vCash: 500
Ballard showing off his skills

It's the summer. There isn't much going on right now in the hockey world, but I figured this video of Ballard is pretty amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBQArUjP89w&NR=1

I realize that it's Rick Nash undressing him, but if he will be our shutdown defenseman in 09-10, I have to say I am not impressed.

I know he's got other assets which he brings to the rink, but he can't let those things happen with 20 seconds left of a tie game.

Old
08-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Ballard did all he could during that play and if it wasn't for a lucky bounce, Nash would have never finished that play...

And if anyone should be at fault, its derrek morris, he screws up at the blue-line twice to start the rush the other way

Anyway, here's many plays in which Ballard shows off his skills rather than one where he was defending against the goal of the year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdTnrd9kjs

Last edited by Montsy14: 08-02-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old
08-02-2008, 12:41 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
This one, single play represents his entire game. Because it's happened once, means it has happened many, many times. I'm sure Pronger, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Phaneuf, Markoz, Kaberle, etc. have had this happen to them. Now, I'm not comparing Ballard to the aforementioned players, just trying to say that this is really looking at the glass as half empty.

Old
08-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
It's the summer. There isn't much going on right now in the hockey world, but I figured this video of Ballard is pretty amusing.

I realize that it's Rick Nash undressing him, but if he will be our shutdown defenseman in 09-10, I have to say I am not impressed.

I know he's got other assets which he brings to the rink, but he can't let those things happen with 20 seconds left of a tie game.
because one play is such an accurate indicator of a players true worth.....

i think i remember sidney crosby undressing bouwmeester at home last year. that wasn't very impressive. he must stink, too.

Old
08-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
bah... swedes...

Old
08-02-2008, 01:52 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Ballard wears his heart on his sleeve each and every shift, and has one of the best hip checks out there. He was asked to pair up with Morris and forced to take on a primarily shutdown role against the opposing team's top line, but he's better suited to a second pairing with more offensive freedom. He could realistically put up 40 points (if the past two seasons haven't sucked his offensive skills dry) and be defensively responsible, but I think he's overmatched against the Iginlas and Thorntons out there.

Essentially a second-pairing defender who leads on and off the ice.

Old
08-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

Yeah, because one play determines a player's entire career. I could post a youtube video of that Ballard blueline hip check from last season that drew so much praise and say Ballard is a monster on defense. Come on, that was the goal of the year scored by one of the best goal scorers in the game. And that's irrefutable evidence that Ballard is not a good defensive defenseman? That's pretty lame.

Old
08-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Crossbar

Amazing moves by Nash, but also a very lucky play IMO. I'm surprised the puck was able to squeak by in between Ballard and Tellqvist's poke-checks and stay with him. Obviously Ballard and Morris were trying to avoid taking a penalty in the dying seconds, otherwise this play would have looked very different (Morris pulling a "Murphy" at the offensive blueline, Ballard taking the body on Nash).

Old
08-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
bah... swedes...
lol, easily your funniest post ever Mogo.

Old
08-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
Ballard wears his heart on his sleeve each and every shift, and has one of the best hip checks out there. He was asked to pair up with Morris and forced to take on a primarily shutdown role against the opposing team's top line, but he's better suited to a second pairing with more offensive freedom. He could realistically put up 40 points (if the past two seasons haven't sucked his offensive skills dry) and be defensively responsible, but I think he's overmatched against the Iginlas and Thorntons out there.

Essentially a second-pairing defender who leads on and off the ice.
right now if things stay at status quo, ballard is a second pairing defensman.

if ballard is scoring 40+ points and playing defensively responsible, chances are he'll be more than just a second pairing defensman.

in his early years he was a bit of a roamer. last year he was a defensive defensman. the key now is to put it all together and become a "complete" defensman. if he can do that i think he'll be a top-pairing guy. i'm pretty confident he will with due time. i like ballard.

Old
08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:

And Brad May once undressed Ray Bourque in OT.

Old
08-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Madhatter73

We all know about this one rare occurrence already. Getting beat once by an elite forward shouldn't be representative of any defenseman's "skills". This thread is flamebait. Can we just lock it?

Old
08-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Heimy

ok I'll lock it, but only cause it's all request saturday

Closed Thread