HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler News & Blog Report Aug. 3

Old
08-03-2008, 08:02 AM
dashingsilverfox*

vCash: 500
Oiler News & Blog Report Aug. 3

Pretty quiet.

The Shocking Deal:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Ho...41336-sun.html

LT on prospects chances of making the Oilers:

http://lowetide.blogspot.com/

MacT under Tambellini:

http://www.oilersnation.com/index2.p...mbo-meet-mact/

Other Stuff:

Stoll Going Home to Meet the Parents:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaystartim...9873a6621.html

Life after Radulov in Nashville:

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../80731105/1028

Last edited by dashingsilverfox*: 08-03-2008 at 08:51 AM.
dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 09:48 AM
hockeyaddict101

Thanks again I always know I can sleep in a little because you will put these up.

Only one I am going to add is a excellent summation by Guy on

The Roster Battle: The Fan Favourite

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/

Yes we have discussed the copy to death but IMO Guy does a great job of summarizing everything and adding some good points.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 09:55 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Thanks again I always know I can sleep in a little because you will put these up.

Only one I am going to add is a excellent summation by Guy on

The Roster Battle: The Fan Favourite

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/

Yes we have discussed the copy to death but IMO Guy does a great job of summarizing everything and adding some good points.
An excellent analysis IMO.

Old
08-03-2008, 10:40 AM
SerbianEagle

If the Oilers hadn't screwed up with the draft picks as bad as they did, the trade would not have looked nearly as bad.

Just looking at some 90's drafts and I can't believe how horrible this team was at drafting. Just unreal.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 10:56 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Our own Mr. Bugg looks at the WJC camp:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/content/view/1264/1/

Old
08-03-2008, 11:45 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
If the Oilers hadn't screwed up with the draft picks as bad as they did, the trade would not have looked nearly as bad.

Just looking at some 90's drafts and I can't believe how horrible this team was at drafting. Just unreal.
But in the Oilers defense you have to remember that electrical storms in the Baja would often distort reception and Barry would be left having to guess come draft day.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 12:43 PM
caveat emptor

I am amused that Jarrett Stoll is described as an "ice hockey star" in any news reports I've read that discuss him dating Hunter. Really?

caveat emptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Excellent article on Schremp by Guy. I look forward to the rest of that series.

08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Giant Moo

I don't know half of the players LT listed, but I am a little intrigued how JFJ gets ranked so solidly ahead of Schremp on odds to make the team.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I don't know half of the players LT listed, but I am a little intrigued how JFJ gets ranked so solidly ahead of Schremp on odds to make the team.
Not my place but I will take a stab. I believe it is his contention that Rob's skill set is already represented to the point of over-abundance by Nillson, Gagner and Hemsky whereas the team is still a little light on the physical side. I think it is too soon to say and will largely depend on how MacT decides to put his lines together but it is a legitimate perspective if there is to be only one extra at forward. I would think Strudwick's ability to play on the wing works against Jacques in this situation but it is still a little early to speculate imo. Oh, and I am a big fan of JFJ as well. Should all the pieces come together (which they obviously have not to date) he would be formidable patrolling the wing. Right now he is just another one dimensional player whose dimension is different than Schremps.

Old
08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Not my place but I will take a stab. I believe it is his contention that Rob's skill set is already represented to the point of over-abundance by Nillson, Gagner and Hemsky whereas the team is still a little light on the physical side. I think it is too soon to say and will largely depend on how MacT decides to put his lines together but it is a legitimate perspective if there is to be only one extra at forward. I would think Strudwick's ability to play on the wing works against Jacques in this situation but it is still a little early to speculate imo. Oh, and I am a big fan of JFJ as well. Should all the pieces come together (which they obviously have not to date) he would be formidable patrolling the wing. Right now he is just another one dimensional player whose dimension is different than Schremps.
My goodness....why? He hasn't shown an ability or willingness to do anything to make a spot for himself on the team and is now injured. Am I missing something?

Old
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if JFJ doesn't score points, then unless he never is on for a GA, he's a net negative to the team. And if he is never on for a GA, at best he's a net even. (And since he'd likely not be playing the tough minutes, it's not exactly a strong statement.)

I think Schremp would have more GF than he would have GA when he's on the ice.

So I hope JFJ does not make the team at the expense of Schremp.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
My goodness....why? He hasn't shown an ability or willingness to do anything to make a spot for himself on the team and is now injured. Am I missing something?
I just think he has attributes - size, good skater, hits like a truck, can throw them a bit - that are valuable to a team. The fact that he cannot get a puck to go in the net at this level leaves me defenseless for those who disagree but I have this irrational hope for him based soley on the fact that big men often take longer to get it.

Yes, I know. I am out in the breeze with my undies down around my ankles on this one. JFJ is my Schremp I guess.

Old
08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: if JFJ doesn't score points, then unless he never is on for a GA, he's a net negative to the team. And if he is never on for a GA, at best he's a net even. (And since he'd likely not be playing the tough minutes, it's not exactly a strong statement.)

I think Schremp would have more GF than he would have GA when he's on the ice.

So I hope JFJ does not make the team at the expense of Schremp.
Please don't make me defend JFJ twice in the same thread . I think I covered it in my answer to DSF. Irrational inability to move on is the technical analysis I believe.

I will add that in cases where a team can carry 14 forwards it makes sense to have a top 6 and a bottom 6 kind of guy in the PB but it doesn't look like the Oilers will open that way this year. And I also hope JFJ doesn't take the last spot away from Schremp. I was just trying to answer your question as to why Lowetide put him ahead in his rankings imo.

Old
08-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
It's called an opinion DSF, people are entitled to their own, even if it doesn't have any background purpose to why.

For example, some fans idolize enforcers in today's game, even though they don't bring much to other aspects of the game.

For example, my cousin purchases Oilers season tickets just to watch the Zack Attack show off his mad skills at fighti........hugging

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 08:27 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
It's called an opinion DSF, people are entitled to their own, even if it doesn't have any background purpose to why.

For example, some fans idolize enforcers in today's game, even though they don't bring much to other aspects of the game.

For example, my cousin purchases Oilers season tickets just to watch the Zack Attack show off his mad skills at fighti........hugging
OK, OK - so I come out of the closet and this is the reception I get, huh?

Old
08-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Yup

Old
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:

I will defend your cousin's right to waste his/her money hoiwever they like.

Old
08-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Reddox has a better chance of making the team than Trukhno (if so it had better be as bench warmer)??? Chorney has no chance of making the Oilers but Bisaillon does and more importantly YOUNG and SESTITO does??? Brule with the same chance of making the team as Schremp while their careers are headed in the opposite direction??? Potulny with the 3rd best chance to make the team behind only JDD and Jacques??? Bryan Lerg with a better chance than Trukhno and Chorney???

Bryan Lerg??? Seriously???

Yeah, mmmkay.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Funny stuff guys! I think you are right about JFJ, he brings what the oilers need right now. Schremp unfortunately doesn't, I bet he is trade bait before the year is up. Love the links guys...TY

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
I was trying to tell you the very same thing in an earlier thread, never thought it'd rub off this quik.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I was trying to tell you the very same thing in an earlier thread, never thought it'd rub off this quik.
You were?

Old
08-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
You were?

Quote:
You squable too much and force your opinion on everybody, did you even get some sleep..
In a nut-shell, thats saying in relation to you not respecting everybody's opinion for what it is, an opinion.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=539386&page=4

Read through this entire thread and you'll notice how many times you tried to force your opinion over somebody else. Albeit, I dont think that was your intention but at times you seem a little unreceptive.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote