HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: WGN Chicago

Old
08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

vCash: 500
OT: WGN Chicago

Hello all of you Hawks fans. I was wondering if you could help me figure something out.

I live in Newfoundland, Canada and I only have basic cable. Somehow though I get the WGN Chicago channel (Don't ask me how because I have no idea). I was watching a commercial the other day where they said they would be playing Hawks games for the 08/09 season.

Anybody know if its just gonna be regional to only people from Chicago or would I be able to see them here. I do get to watch a good bit of hockey on CBC and TSN and I get Senators games on Sportsnet East but I would love to watch a few Hawks games next year too. I'm a big fan of the team. Thanks

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Teemu

It's only going to be broadcast regionally. WGN is distinct from WGN The Superstation.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 02:14 PM
not dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
It's only going to be broadcast regionally. WGN is distinct from WGN The Superstation.
Yes but from what I've read, the WGN in Canada ISN'T the Superstation. Its all very confusing and honestly, I doubt Canada will get the games but I wouldn't say 'no way' at this point.

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2008, 05:18 PM
lfchockey*

I'm pretty sure we are getting the WGN games... but we won't know for sure until a couple more months

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 01:49 AM
southerncross116

Speaking as a Cub (and a Bulls fair weather fan during the championship years) fan that lived in KC for about 16 years - - I can honestly tell you that ...

well knowing that a game was on but having to watch reruns of Xena the Warrior Princess on WGN - well yeah - no one should have to be subject to that -ever...

southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

Thanks for everything guys.....I was asking because I can watch all the Cubs games and all the Bulls games that come on.

I'd just much rather watch the Hawks any day over the Cubs and Bulls.

Last edited by NFLDPower: 08-05-2008 at 11:24 PM.
NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by not dominator View Post
Yes but from what I've read, the WGN in Canada ISN'T the Superstation. Its all very confusing and honestly, I doubt Canada will get the games but I wouldn't say 'no way' at this point.
WGN and the WB are different networks. They are sister stations so when the Blackhawks are being shown on WGN in Chicago you will be stuck watching some crappy WB show.

WGN is like TBS in a sence..

However I have no doubt in my mind if the Hawks win a cup in the next few years they will go national with the games.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross116 View Post
Speaking as a Cub (and a Bulls fair weather fan during the championship years) fan that lived in KC for about 16 years - - I can honestly tell you that ...

well knowing that a game was on but having to watch reruns of Xena the Warrior Princess on WGN - well yeah - no one should have to be subject to that -ever...

Ill say this much... all the people who arent hockey fans and dont know WGN will broadcast chicago blackhawks hockey will think their TV is broken when they see hockey on their TV.

They will fip the channel thinking there tuner went out of wack. lol

I think its pretty cool the Hawks will be back on WGN and I'm quite sure it will create alot of new young hockey fans.

I cant tell you howmany times I have heard the phrase "I used to be a big Hawks fan when they were on WGN in the 70's".

Old
08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfchockey View Post
I'm pretty sure we are getting the WGN games... but we won't know for sure until a couple more months
Johnny Mac said it will only be local for right now... Maybe because hockey is so big in Canada they will show the games their?? However I cant imagine the people in Atlanta, Miami or Columbus etc getting the games because most people in those cities would rather watch WB shows then Hawks games.

Old
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
not dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
WGN and the WB are different networks. They are sister stations so when the Blackhawks are being shown on WGN in Chicago you will be stuck watching some crappy WB show.

WGN is like TBS in a sence..

However I have no doubt in my mind if the Hawks win a cup in the next few years they will go national with the games.
Yes they are different HOWEVER:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Although WGN America continues to be distributed in Canada, the Chicago area feed of WGN-TV is also carried by Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice satellite services, as well as most Canadian cable services. Bell ExpressVu has always carried the Chicago area feed but Star Choice and many cable services that carried Superstation WGN switched on January 17, 2007 when Shaw Broadcast Services, a primary supplier of Superstation WGN in Canada, switched to the Chicago area feed.
Like I said, some of the Canadian cable companies show the LOCAL CHICAGO feed

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
JrHockeyFan

My cable provider in Ontario has the local WGN feed. Since I also have the Extra Innings, Center-Ice, Sunday Ticket etc package I can get the important stuff anyway

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by not dominator View Post
Yes they are different HOWEVER:
Like I said, some of the Canadian cable companies show the LOCAL CHICAGO feed
If you get Chicago local news... WGN news at 9 then you should get the games.

If you get the Bulls games you should get the Hawks games.

Old
08-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
yeah see this was where my confusion is being in Cleve.....

I get Cubs and Sox games (never checked for bulls really) but I had assumed I'd get Hawks as well. Hopefully I do, as they may have just enough games that I won't have to buy center ice.

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNuCk#88 View Post
Hello all of you Hawks fans. I was wondering if you could help me figure something out.

I live in Newfoundland, Canada and I only have basic cable. Somehow though I get the WGN Chicago channel (Don't ask me how because I have no idea). I was watching a commercial the other day where they said they would be playing Hawks games for the 08/09 season.

Anybody know if its just gonna be regional to only people from Chicago or would I be able to see them here. I do get to watch a good bit of hockey on CBC and TSN and I get Senators games on Sportsnet East but I would love to watch a few Hawks games next year too. I'm a big fan of the team. Thanks
I think that we will get Hawks games in Canada on WGN-9 local channel; no reason not to get them. A couple years ago, we were getting Bruins games on WSBK without blackouts. Some Red Wings games were also shown in Canada on the local FOX station from Detroit without blackouts (for those who were getting their US feeds from Detroit).

It is the same with TBS for baseball; TBS is not available in Canada anymore, we get the Peachtree local Station from Atlanta, and we still get a lot of Braves games that people in the US (outside of Atlanta) don't see anymore.

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Hawksfan2828

I couldnt imagine why they wouldnt show Hawks games on WGN in Canada, its a major hockey market. I'm sure people would rather watch the Hawks in Canada then the WB shows?

All I know is it will be weird seeing a Hawks game on WGN. I'm really glad tho the Hawks will be on WGN, they should get alot of fans back and create new ones at the same time.

Old
08-30-2008, 05:30 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
I too have been wondering this since I heard that the Hawks were going to be on WGN. I live in the southern part of Illinois and I can get Cubs game and such on WGN. I'm a Blues fan but I'm also a hockey fan, so as much hockey I can get on my T.V. without Center Ice is great.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Thibaj

08/09 Hawks WGN schedule:

Day Date Game Start
Sat 10/11/08 Blackhawks @ Washington 6:00 PM
Sat 10/25/08 Blackhawks vs Detroit 7:30 PM
Sat 11/1/08 Blackhawks @ Columbus 6:00 PM
Sat 11/22/08 Blackhawks @ Toronto 6:00 PM
Wed 11/26/08 Blackhawks @ San Jose 9:30 PM
Fri 11/28/08 Blackhawks @ Anaheim 3:00 PM
Sat 11/29/08 Blackhawks @ Los Angeles 3:00 PM
Sat 12/6/08 Blackhawks @ Detroit 6:00 PM
Tue 12/16/08 Blackhawks @ Edmonton 8:30 PM
Sat 12/20/08 Blackhawks @ Vancouver 9:00 PM
Sat 1/17/09 Blackhawks @ St. Louis 7:30 PM
Thu 1/29/09 Blackhawks @ Los Angeles 9:30 PM
Sat 2/7/09 Blackhawks @ Vancouver 9:00 PM
Sat 2/14/09 Blackhawks vs Dallas 7:30 PM
Sat 2/21/09 Blackhawks @ Dallas 1:00 PM
Sun 3/1/09 Blackhawks vs Los Angeles 2:00 PM
Sun 3/8/09 Blackhawks vs Colorado 2:00 PM
Sun 3/15/09 Blackhawks vs NY Islanders 2:00 PM
Sun 3/22/09 Blackhawks vs Los Angeles 2:00 PM
Sat 4/11/09 Blackhawks @ Detroit 2:00 PM

Thibaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Al Bundy*

Just wondering,

but what radio station would one be able to hear Hawks game if I'm in a car?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
The Poofer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNuCk#88 View Post
Thanks for everything guys.....I was asking because I can watch all the Cubs games and all the Bulls games that come on.

I'd just much rather watch the Hawks any day over the Cubs and Bulls.
Then you will get the Hawks games.

The Poofer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 12:54 PM
The Poofer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Just wondering,

but what radio station would one be able to hear Hawks game if I'm in a car?
WGN 720AM

The Poofer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2008, 01:30 PM
antelope

I'm a Hawks fan in Fort Wayne, IN and have had Center Ice for the past 4 years, but chose not to get it because they are showing the home games. We get CSN here, thank the Lord!

I'm starting to regret it though, I don't think I'll be able to get my fix w/ the TV schedule. I know that I won't get the WGN games, but it'd be nice if they'd branch it out a bit and do the WGN thing regionally and what not.

WGN radio comes in here pretty decent, plus I got the XM radio, but I'd rather watch/DVR the games on TV.

antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
DollarsAndSens

I didn't realize the WGN coverage would be so extensive this year. I always assumed that FSN would carry the bulk like last year. That's definitely good news though.

DollarsAndSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:33 PM
kilo41ak

Well

That kinda sucks... I was hoping to see Blackhawk games here in Alaska... I gt the WGN... but I am assuming no the channel ya'll will get the games on. At least I can watch your guys' news... for whatever reason.

kilo41ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Will they be played here in Indiana? I get WGN. I get the Cubs and Bulls. I hate baseball and Basketball lol. I really hope they are on. While I'm a Blues fan I'd still like to watcvh Kane, Byfuglien and Beach if he makes the team.

The Hawks are really fing up in my opinion. The fact that they could be Indiana's team just like the Cubs are Indiana's team. They arent though because it isnt marketed here. It's a shame. We obviosly lack a pro hockey team (or even an AHL team). Chicago is the closest pro team and just misses out n a huge potential market over here.

I agree with the poster that said he has heard so many people talk about the 70s when they were telivised all the time. I have also heard many people here in Indiana complain about how they really miss being a Hawks fan. It's simple logic though. If there isnt any games on tv no one can watch. If no one can watch no one can get interested. You loose many of your fans, you loose any potential new fans the programming would bring in, so you also loose all mercandise and tickit sales these people would bring. It's pathetic really.

And people wonder why the NHL isnt as popular as the NBA,MLB and NFL. It's obvios folks. It isnt because the game isnt strong enough. The game is the best in the world. The marketing and accessability of the game however, is terrible at very best.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote