HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: How much does an "administrative assistant" make?

Old
08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Deal. Tell her I'll be conducting the interview myself in my dark, underground dungeon.

Btw, the starting salary for these patent agent types is around 125,000$/year.
Done. I asked her about medicine and she replied ' do I look like someone who wants to prolong human life ? ' So, research sounds like a better fit.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:04 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Done. I asked her about medicine and she replied ' do I look like someone who wants to prolong human life ? ' So, research sounds like a better fit.
You should tell her that Doctors are some of the few people who can kill and have very little legal consequences. (With the possible exception of hitmen)

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:04 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
so if you dont feel targeted, why is it that you're defensive?

at any rate, you dont want to turn into another Big Timer do you?
I'm actually not being defensive. Quite the contrary, I'm on the offensive here. I enjoy debate, so I'm asking you why I lack perspective. Why my life is inherently worse because I spend an extra 19 hours (at most, really) working. These are things you've claimed, implicitly or not.

Anyway, I'd settle for you retracting the "losing perspective" statement. Different perspective is just that, different. Not greater nor weaker except subjectively, and those who claim otherwise are the ones who are losing perspective.. of the mosaic of differences in our culture.

For what it's worth, I earn money to spend quality time doting on my family and friends. I agree with you that money is nothing, but it's sure nice to have a lot more to share with the people that make your life meaningful, and having some to fall back on when I'm elderly.

08-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
So then, i wonder how some of the japanese do it...

live to be over a hundred years old and be happy...with not much money.

Money being important is a western concept. It's been ironed into you since you were born. So of course you'll think it...
I'm not saying you are wrong in your life choice, but I just want to point out that one of the reason why you are able to live a relatively care-free life working only 20 hours a week is precisely because other people work much more, earn much more, and pay the bulk of the income taxes of this country. Saying that "money being important is a western concept" is a bit too simplistic for my tastes.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:10 AM
mcphee

Quote:
You should tell her that Doctors are some of the few people who can kill and have very little legal consequences. (With the possible exception of hitmen)
My brother told his twin daughters that Uncle Mikey was employed in that manner. I told them I'd never kill them out of anger.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
My brother told his twin daughters that Uncle Mikey was employed in that manner. I told them I'd never kill them out of anger.
My wife *snicker.. I'm still not used to calling her that* told her nephew that she was a princess a few months ago. I didn't know she had made him believe this.

The kid was at our house saturday and was looking under our bed and found my samurai swords (which are supersitious magical powerplay samurai swords that help the Habs score).

So he came to ask me if I was a ninja. Which I, of course, immediately said yes. And he asked why I hid my swords under the bed. So I told him it was because I needed to defend my wife, the princess.

We are so cool in his eyes now.

Screw being a lawyer. I wanna be a ninja now.

Old
08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I'm actually not being defensive. Quite the contrary, I'm on the offensive here. I enjoy debate, so I'm asking you why I lack perspective. Why my life is inherently worse because I spend an extra 19 hours (at most, really) working. These are things you've claimed, implicitly or not.

Anyway, I'd settle for you retracting the "losing perspective" statement. Different perspective is just that, different. Not greater nor weaker except subjectively, and those who claim otherwise are the ones who are losing perspective.. of the mosaic of differences in our culture.

For what it's worth, I earn money to spend quality time doting on my family and friends. I agree with you that money is nothing, but it's sure nice to have a lot more to share with the people that make your life meaningful, and having some to fall back on when I'm elderly.
again, i wasnt targeting you.

The person(s) i was targeting is those who make earning money their goal in life.

That's losing perspective.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:

Money being important is a western concept. It's been ironed into you since you were born. So of course you'll think it...
The average annual work hours for Japanese (1828) is higher than for Americans (1777) and Canadians (1717).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_time

So I don't think it was a very good example.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
SOLR

Quote:
My wife *snicker.. I'm still not used to calling her that* told her nephew that she was a princess a few months ago. I didn't know she had made him believe this.

The kid was at our house saturday and was looking under our bed and found my samurai swords (which are supersitious magical powerplay samurai swords that help the Habs score).

So he came to ask me if I was a ninja. Which I, of course, immediately said yes. And he asked why I hid my swords under the bed. So I told him it was because I needed to defend my wife, the princess.

I often ninja parking slots, is that the same?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
I'm not saying you are wrong in your life choice, but I just want to point out that one of the reason why you are able to live a relatively care-free life working only 20 hours a week is precisely because other people work much more, earn much more, and pay the bulk of the income taxes of this country. Saying that "money being important is a western concept" is a bit too simplistic for my tastes.

You’re correct, it was stated simplistically, especially when you take what he said to the extreme. He didn’t say that money doesn’t matter – I actually don’t think he is attacking the concept of money, but rather, the uses that we make of our money. Whether you want to call it a ‘Western concept’ or a ‘concept of industrialization and modernization’, there really is no denying that money (or the fetishization of the stuff money buys – which is probably the bigger problem) plays a very peculiar role in our lives.

Last edited by Mue: 08-06-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
DECs a mostly useless as it only gets you the technical jobs (that dont necessarily pay much).

At any rate, working is overated.

40-50 hour weeks? ***.

i work 21 as it stands and i find that that's plenty. Money is not that important in life. It's mostly used to buy things that make you want to buy more things so that you have to work harder and longer.

Screw that. I enjoy life. I dont need to dedicate 80 hours a week to someone else but me.
If you are able to work only 21 hours per week and be happy. More power to you DH, but the majority of people have to work much longer hours to survive and put a little money away.

Personally I run my own business and work approximately 50+ hours per week. Before that I was working upwards of 70 hours per week. Even with working all of these hours over the years. I've still found time to have fun and do the things that I've wanted to do.

I've also put myself in a situation where I could retire at this very minute (I'm 38) and never have to work another day in my life.

So I guess my point is that even though you feel that money is not that important. It can provide you with a lot of freedom and security and yes material things.

Quote:

lol...why not combine the two? I smell a successful sitcom idea here.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:26 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

When you get to 50 years old, around retirement age, you realize you will still live another 30-40 years right?

That's an entire other lifetime. How the heck are you going to survive on no income for 30-40 years without a sizeable amount of money set aside?

Financial security is one of the most important things in life. It's right up there with shelter on the hierarchy of needs.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's be like if Batman was the district attorney as well. Awesome.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
When you get to 50 years old, around retirement age, you realize you will still live another 30-40 years right?

That's an entire other lifetime. How the heck are you going to survive on no income for 30-40 years without a sizeable amount of money set aside?

Financial security is one of the most important things in life. It's right up there with shelter on the hierarchy of needs.
it's definitely the foundation of our western civilization.

Im not criticizing the fact that we need to work to make money. I actually agree with that. Everyone should be productive for the collective proper functionning of a society.

But i dont necessarily agree with working 80 hours a week with only 2 weeks of vacation a year.

It's no secret that working hours like this for more then a a couple of weeks will damage your health, sometimes to irreversible lengths.

Money is not really my issue. It's more what we are willing to do for it.

That's the tragedy.

Old
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Gros Bill

Boy, all this reading about work has made me tired. I think I'll take a nap now, before my boss shows up this afternoon.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

For what it's worth (yes, I've used that phrase at least twice before in this very thread) Japanese culture has the children take care of their parents, which is how elderly people live on minimal income. It's a trait that's common in a lot of places, but most particularly SE Asia.

Our cultural beliefs in North America state that one should take care of themselves after becoming an adult (a line which is pretty blurred), and not burden their children with the cost of parental care.

Old
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
AD

Quote:
See.. its posts like this that explain why you're the owner of a succesful business.

Old
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's be like if Batman was the district attorney as well. Awesome.
lol...I like your thinking RS. Never mind a sitcom, we should take this lawyer/ninja idea and take it to the big screen.

Old
08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
it's definitely the foundation of our western civilization.

Im not criticizing the fact that we need to work to make money. I actually agree with that. Everyone should be productive for the collective proper functionning of a society.

But i dont necessarily agree with working 80 hours a week with only 2 weeks of vacation a year.

It's no secret that working hours like this for more then a a couple of weeks will damage your health, sometimes to irreversible lengths.

Money is not really my issue. It's more what we are willing to do for it.

That's the tragedy.
In the end, we will do whatever it takes to keep our families safe. Almost all animals will do this. When we were cavement, we'd have to fight to defend our families and our territories. Today, we work our ***** off to make sure there's a roof over our heads and food on our plates. If I had children I'd work as much as it would take to keep them safe and happy...It's just biological.

I'll work 80 hours a week for 20 years if it means I can spend the last 40 years of my life living happy with financial security.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:36 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
lol...I like your thinking RS. Never mind a sitcom, we should take this lawyer/ninja idea and take it to the big screen.
I smell a joint financing venture here. Does someone have Christian Bale's phone number?

By now I'm sure it's something like 1-888-BAT-FONE

Old
08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
See.. its posts like this that explain why you're the owner of a succesful business.
Why thank you AD, normally I get answers like. "It's posts like these that make me question how you have the brain power to tie your shoes in the morning"

Old
08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
AD

Quote:
I smell a joint financing venture here. Does someone have Christian Bale's phone number?

By now I'm sure it's something like 1-888-BAT-FONE
I still get to be the star right?

Old
08-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Mue

Quote:
In the end, we will do whatever it takes to keep our families safe. Almost all animals will do this. When we were cavement, we'd have to fight to defend our families and our territories. Today, we work our ***** off to make sure there's a roof over our heads and food on our plates. If I had children I'd work as much as it would take to keep them safe and happy...It's just biological.

I'll work 80 hours a week for 20 years if it means I can spend the last 40 years of my life living happy with financial security.
The problem is that most people don't work that much in order to secure their future - they work that much in order to advance their current 'standard of living'. People go into massive debt in order to create the appearance that they make a ton of money. In this pursuit of status building they probably compromise their future security.

I think dominant hegemony is making a pretty standard argument (one that is made in certain strains of political theory, social theory and sociological theory). It's an argument that, for whatever reason, invites a lot of resistance.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:42 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Why thank you AD, normally I get answers like. "It's posts like these that make me question how you have the brain power to tie your shoes in the morning"
to which you answer:

i dont need to, my shoes use velcro.

Old
08-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You pretty much described the plan I made for myself 20 years ago with this sentence.