HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: How much does an "administrative assistant" make?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2008, 10:46 AM
  #126
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I smell a joint financing venture here. Does someone have Christian Bale's phone number?

By now I'm sure it's something like 1-888-BAT-FONE
Haha...absolutely now we just have to create a catchy title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I still get to be the star right?
Without a doubt from my end, but I'll have to discuss it with my business partner RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
to which you answer:

i dont need to, my shoes use velcro.
Oh that's good *writes that down*

Thanks DH.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
  #127
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
In the end, we will do whatever it takes to keep our families safe. Almost all animals will do this. When we were cavement, we'd have to fight to defend our families and our territories. Today, we work our ***** off to make sure there's a roof over our heads and food on our plates. If I had children I'd work as much as it would take to keep them safe and happy...It's just biological.

I'll work 80 hours a week for 20 years if it means I can spend the last 40 years of my life living happy with financial security.
i just have a hard time to imagine how someone could physically do this. Surely you dont think your health would hold up, do you?

Plus if you work 80 hours a week, where are you going to find the time to have a flourishing and positive relationship with your wife/children?

It's nice to have ideals, but your excluding important variables.

Plus if you believe in hard work, why wouldnt you want your children to do the same thing?

I dont want my kids to think that they dont have to work hard for what they want because i did it for them.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
  #128
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I still get to be the star right?
I have you pegged as Catwoman, the fiesty criminal defense attorney. Objections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i just have a hard time to imagine how someone could physically do this. Surely you dont think your health would hold up, do you?

Plus if you work 80 hours a week, where are you going to find the time to have a flourishing and positive relationship with your wife/children?

It's nice to have ideals, but your excluding important variables.

Plus if you believe in hard work, why wouldnt you want your children to do the same thing?

I dont want my kids to think that they dont have to work hard for what they want because i did it for them.
You only work 20 hours a week. Of course you have a hard time imagining it.

edit: I actually agree with you, it's not sustainable. I know a couple guys who regularly work 65-70 hours minimum in a high-stress position, and they don't lead a life that I'd enjoy. They're fat, grumpy, and spoiled because they have a ton of money (one earns north of $1M, the other something around $750k) and no time to spend it. One's twice divorced (maybe he doesn't have so much money then.. hahah), the other one has a long-term girlfriend who works similarly.. and I'd classify her more as a ******* buddy than an actual girlfriend. It's a lifestyle to which I'd never be able to become accustomed to.
That's not to say Habs10Habs is like that, but it's just my experience with guys like that. It's difficult for them to lead a balanced lifestyle. Truth be told, the one who used to be a good friend of mine, I can barely spend time with anymore.

__________________
This content is hosted here with the objections of the poster.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-07-2008 at 10:06 AM.
coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
  #129
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Everybody here is stupid.

What you have to do is marry money.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
  #130
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Everybody here is stupid.

What you have to do is marry money.
I tried: too many paper cuts in sensitive places.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
  #131
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Everybody here is stupid.

What you have to do is marry money.
now there's a plan

maybe a good idea would be to have a dating website dedicated to only having already rich bachelors (and bachelorettes) for the picking, looking for modest proles.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
  #132
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
now there's a plan

maybe a good idea would be to have a dating website dedicated to only having already rich bachelors (and bachelorettes) for the picking, looking for modest proles.
Easier is just to hit on H10H, but you'll have strong competion from hot Russian ladies.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
  #133
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i just have a hard time to imagine how someone could physically do this. Surely you dont think your health would hold up, do you?

Plus if you work 80 hours a week, where are you going to find the time to have a flourishing and positive relationship with your wife/children?

It's nice to have ideals, but your excluding important variables.

Plus if you believe in hard work, why wouldnt you want your children to do the same thing?

I dont want my kids to think that they dont have to work hard for what they want because i did it for them.
Growing up my father worked upwards of 80 hours per week running his company. But he always made time for his family, so it is possible. True he missed out on some of the things that us kids did (hockey games/school activities). But he made up for it in other ways.

It's not always the quantity of time a parent can provide, but more the quality of that time.

Personally you can use me as an example of a kid that grew up with money and still ended up working very hard to get where I am today.

My parents never handed me anything without having to work for it in some way first. I worked and bought all my own clothes while in highschool which at the time I found quite unfair.

Even when I went to university, my father could have easily written me a check to pay for everything. But instead he wanted me to earn my own way, so I had to work while I was attending to pay my own way. At the time I looked around and saw how easy some of my friends had it and resented him. But looking back now, I realize that if he didn't do it this way. I probably wouldn't have accomplished what I have today.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
  #134
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Even when I went to university, my father could have easily written me a check to pay for everything. But instead he wanted me to earn my own way, so I had to work while I was attending to pay my own way. At the time I looked around and saw how easy some of my friends had it and resented him. But looking back now, I realize that if he didn't do it this way. I probably wouldn't have accomplished what I have today.

Do you think he would be so kind as to write me a cheque? My school debt is getting up there.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
  #135
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
now there's a plan

maybe a good idea would be to have a dating website dedicated to only having already rich bachelors (and bachelorettes) for the picking, looking for modest proles.
http://www.datingforrichpeople.com/

http://www.dateamillionaire.com/

http://www.millionairematch.com/

Been there.. done that.. Apparently I'm not beautiful enough to be a Kept Man.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:05 AM
  #136
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Growing up my father worked upwards of 80 hours per week running his company. But he always made time for his family, so it is possible. True he missed out on some of the things that us kids did (hockey games/school activities). But he made up for it in other ways.

It's not always the quantity of time a parent can provide, but more the quality of that time.

Personally you can use me as an example of a kid that grew up with money and still ended up working very hard to get where I am today.

My parents never handed me anything without having to work for it in some way first. I worked and bought all my own clothes while in highschool which at the time I found quite unfair.

Even when I went to university, my father could have easily written me a check to pay for everything. But instead he wanted me to earn my own way, so I had to work while I was attending to pay my own way. At the time I looked around and saw how easy some of my friends had it and resented him. But looking back now, I realize that if he didn't do it this way. I probably wouldn't have accomplished what I have today.
and therein lies true words of wisdom

it's funny sometimes...when you're young you dont understand certain things (even though you think you do understand everything there is) and then when you get older...you look back (like you) and realize that what they did was the right thing.

Too many kids have it too easy and it's rotting our system.

Obviously most of us do what we do because we have to.

How many of us can say otherwise? It's a luxury not oft affordable.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:07 AM
  #137
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Growing up my father worked upwards of 80 hours per week running his company. But he always made time for his family, so it is possible. True he missed out on some of the things that us kids did (hockey games/school activities). But he made up for it in other ways.

It's not always the quantity of time a parent can provide, but more the quality of that time.

Personally you can use me as an example of a kid that grew up with money and still ended up working very hard to get where I am today.

My parents never handed me anything without having to work for it in some way first. I worked and bought all my own clothes while in highschool which at the time I found quite unfair.

Even when I went to university, my father could have easily written me a check to pay for everything. But instead he wanted me to earn my own way, so I had to work while I was attending to pay my own way. At the time I looked around and saw how easy some of my friends had it and resented him. But looking back now, I realize that if he didn't do it this way. I probably wouldn't have accomplished what I have today.
Careful, though. I watched my old man work hard all his life and then die 1 1/2 years into retirement. He never got to do all those things he had put off while working.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
  #138
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
http://www.datingforrichpeople.com/

http://www.dateamillionaire.com/

http://www.millionairematch.com/

Been there.. done that.. Apparently I'm not beautiful enough to be a Kept Man.
amazing lol

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:11 AM
  #139
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
You only work 20 hours a week. Of course you have a hard time imagining it.

edit: I actually agree with you, it's not sustainable. I know a couple guys who regularly work 65-70 hours minimum in a high-stress position, and they don't lead a life that I'd enjoy. They're fat, grumpy, and spoiled because they have a ton of money (one earns north of $1M, the other something around $750k) and no time to spend it. One's twice divorced (maybe he doesn't have so much money then.. hahah), the other one has a long-term girlfriend who works similarly.. and I'd classify her more as a ******* buddy than an actual girlfriend. It's a lifestyle to which I'd never be able to become accustomed to.
That's not to say Habs10Habs is like that, but it's just my experience with guys like that. It's difficult for them to lead a balanced lifestyle. Truth be told, the one who used to be a good friend of mine, I can barely spend time with anymore.

I've seen a lot of examples of people that haven't been able to handle working as much as I did and still do to a certain extent. I'm not saying I'm anything special, but I always made time to relax and do things I enjoyed. Friends and family are very important to me, so making time to spend with them was/is a must.

I've also never been married and I don't have children, so maybe that has helped me be somewhat successful. That and the fact that I only need 4 hours of sleep per night.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:11 AM
  #140
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Careful, though. I watched my old man work hard all his life and then die 1 1/2 years into retirement. He never got to do all those things he had put off while working.
This worries me with my Father. He works very hard for very long hours in a factory. He's already had two heart-attacks....He says he gets bored if he is not at work though so he continues working his long hours.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
  #141
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
This worries me with my Father. He works very hard for very long hours in a factory. He's already had two heart-attacks....He says he gets bored if he is not at work though so he continues working his long hours.
obviously being bored is an excuse

girlfriend?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
  #142
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
This worries me with my Father. He works very hard for very long hours in a factory. He's already had two heart-attacks....He says he gets bored if he is not at work though so he continues working his long hours.
That's the trade-off that often happens with factory workers. They trade their body (and frankly, their mind.. no mental stimulation can't be good) for money. My good friend is an auto worker at Toyota and makes pretty good money, but by the time he retires he'll probably be debilitated.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:19 AM
  #143
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
obviously being bored is an excuse

girlfriend?
He does get very bored very quickly. He doesn't really have a hobby outside of work. He enjoys mechanical work so when he is at work he gets to work on and fix machines.

I'm sure there are some financial burdens as well - a messy divorce is probably the biggest strain on his financial stability. He hasn't financially supported me since I was 17 (over ten years ago) and I'm the youngest child - so no kids to take care of. He does have a girlfriend.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
  #144
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
and therein lies true words of wisdom

it's funny sometimes...when you're young you dont understand certain things (even though you think you do understand everything there is) and then when you get older...you look back (like you) and realize that what they did was the right thing.

Too many kids have it too easy and it's rotting our system.

Obviously most of us do what we do because we have to.

How many of us can say otherwise? It's a luxury not oft affordable.
It is funny and kind of sad at the same time. While my father was making me work so hard I despised the man. I actually told him on the day I left for university to go to hell. But looking back he was right and I make sure to tell him whenever I see him.

I watch now how some of my young nieces and nephew's are being raised with everything just handed to them. They don't seem to appreciate the things they have like I did, because I had to work for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Careful, though. I watched my old man work hard all his life and then die 1 1/2 years into retirement. He never got to do all those things he had put off while working.
That actually is something that I've heard about from others. But I can't see myself ever fully retiring. Sure I'll eventually slow things down,(I'm actually in the process of doing that now) but I don't think there will ever be a time (health permitting) that I will ever say that I'm officially retired.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
  #145
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003
 
The n00b King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
He does get very bored very quickly. He doesn't really have a hobby outside of work. He enjoys mechanical work so when he is at work he gets to work on and fix machines.

I'm sure there are some financial burdens as well - a messy divorce is probably the biggest strain on his financial stability. He hasn't financially supported me since I was 17 (over ten years ago) and I'm the youngest child - so no kids to take care of. He does have a girlfriend.
my dad has also died about 2 years ago, due to a job he did a couple years ago.

He worked in those huge telecommunications towers. On a holiday, he'd make 80$/hr.

But it eventually killed him. The radiation that comes from those things when your head is right next to it gave him brain cancer.

A messy divorce can break a man, that's for sure.

A hobby surely wouldnt hurt him though.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
  #146
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,977
vCash: 500
This thread has gone in some funny directions.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
  #147
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
This thread has gone in some funny directions.
So does life. Gros Bill's Senior's experience is one I've heard many times. Don't push back enjoying life. Follow the Warren Zevon tribute album's advice. Enjoy Every Sandwich.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:58 AM
  #148
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
i just have a hard time to imagine how someone could physically do this. Surely you dont think your health would hold up, do you?

Plus if you work 80 hours a week, where are you going to find the time to have a flourishing and positive relationship with your wife/children?

It's nice to have ideals, but your excluding important variables.

Plus if you believe in hard work, why wouldnt you want your children to do the same thing?

I dont want my kids to think that they dont have to work hard for what they want because i did it for them.
I take good care of myself, but no, I don't expect my health is going to hold up. Hence the need to work hard now and have money for if/when I am physically unable to earn an income.

My dad owns his own business and worked 7 days a week when I was growing up. He still somehow made time for the family and is an amazing father. No matter how much you work, being a good dad will happen no matter what if that's what you are. He found time for us...If he can do it why can't anyone?

I think you misunderstood what I said...I want financial security for me and my family. I'm not saying I'm going to spoil my kids...My dad is loaded far beyond what most people would ever imagine (the money he's been offered to sell his company is enough to ensure that the next 5 generations never have to work a day in their lives). I don't get freebies. I mean, he paid for my university, but I went to Concordia, not Harvard...And it was under the condition that I work at the same time (I worked 20-30 hours a week while I went to school full time). He'll help me if I really need it but for the most part I'm on my own. I'm buying my condo with my money...I took out a mortgage myself, I'm the one who's in deep for 200 G's. It's watching my dad work hard as I grew up that gave me the drive to do the same for myself.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
  #149
Fido22
Registered User
 
Fido22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
So does life. Gros Bill's Senior's experience is one I've heard many times. Don't push back enjoying life. Follow the Warren Zevon tribute album's advice. Enjoy Every Sandwich.
I can't believe people still eat sandwiches. It's, like, so 1980s/early 90s.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
  #150
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I have you pegged as Catwoman, the fiesty criminal defense attorney. Objections?
Done and DONE!

Do I need to shave my legs or will I have the sexy leather/latex legging?

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.