HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What D's are left on the block?

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 10:05 AM
wasting time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled in Florida
True enough. But GMs will consult with coaches and are unlikely, barring extraordinary circumstances, to make a trade the coach is strongly opposed to.
Green on waivers?

Quinn probably wouldn't have known who Johnson was if he tripped over him, I'm guessing.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:05 AM
GD|eNSo

Quote:
Yes, sir, it was. Quinn didn't like him and got him sent to Edmonton for next to nothing. Similar story for Stevie Sullivan except in that case we got nothing at all.
Isn't Rick Ley responsible for the defence corps? Also Quinn was not even GM, when Smith was put on waiver's. From what I heard, J.Smith was being a real baby at the time too.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:07 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

berg and klee can be more effective at this juncture with less ice time
take klee off the power play etc
theyve been given a heavy workload

Old
02-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenius
Isn't Rick Ley responsible for the defence corps? Also Quinn was not even GM, when Smith was put on waiver's. From what I heard, J.Smith was being a real baby at the time too.

It was clearly stated at the time that Quinn did not think Smith fit into a high octane transition system and for some reason his defensive strengths did not matter to Quinn at all. Smith didn't think much of Quinn's opinion of him, true, but Smith played as advertised and played fairly well in his own end. All coaches have their personal likes and dislikes and aren't always entirely rational about them.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:11 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenius
Plus, people have to remember Sullivan at the time. He still refuses to play defense. Sullivan is the kind of player who will be good on a bad team. He is useless in the third line role on a team that is too good for him to be on the top 2 lines.

Get over Sullivan already people. He was put on waivers because no one would trade for him at the time and Leafs were too good for him to have been any value on the top 2 lines.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:16 AM
wasting time

Quote:
It was clearly stated at the time that Quinn did not think Smith fit into a high octane transition system and for some reason his defensive strengths did not matter to Quinn at all. Smith didn't think much of Quinn's opinion of him, true, but Smith played as advertised and played fairly well in his own end. All coaches have their personal likes and dislikes and aren't always entirely rational about them.
I think the difference between then and now is that JFJ is on solid political ground above Quinn whereas Mike Smith was not at the time. Quinn was the power broker at the time and Smith would have been ill-advised to disagree openly with the Blue eyed boy Quinn.

Today, I'd say Quinn has about 10% input on JFJ's decisions. Basically JFJ will ask Quinn's opinion as a courtesy and "take it under advisement" as JFJ is opt to say.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:22 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

it was a different game back then
forwards were'nt allowed in the blue ice
and quinn wanted defenseman like yanic tremblay and brian berard who could skate and pass

all the same, it would be an uncomfortable move for both involved so i doubt it happens

Old
02-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
Green on waivers?

Quinn probably wouldn't have known who Johnson was if he tripped over him, I'm guessing.
I'm glad Green went on Waivers.

But only if he was part of the locker room rift.

Old
02-21-2004, 06:01 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
I'm glad Green went on Waivers.

But only if he was part of the locker room rift.
I'm glad hes gone because it allowed Stajan to emerge.

I think JFJ could have cared less about the rift, even if it did exist. I'm sure it no factor at all in his decision. He was against having a guy making close to $2 million at the 4th line center position. That is what Quinn said.

Old
02-21-2004, 06:22 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
I'm glad hes gone because it allowed Stajan to emerge.

I think JFJ could have cared less about the rift, even if it did exist. I'm sure it no factor at all in his decision. He was against having a guy making close to $2 million at the 4th line center position. That is what Quinn said.
I remember that alot of people hated the move at the time. In hindsight it turns out to have been a pretty solid move by shedding some payroll and allowing Stajan to emerge. Not to mention that Green has all of 7pts this season.

Hands up who would want to re-acquire Green and his salary and send Stajan back to the minors now?

Old
02-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
I remember that alot of people hated the move at the time. In hindsight it turns out to have been a pretty solid move by shedding some payroll and allowing Stajan to emerge. Not to mention that Green has all of 7pts this season.

Hands up who would want to re-acquire Green and his salary and send Stajan back to the minors now?
It's a big reason why I question the "Leafs tried to get him back" rumors. Why would they do that? To have Green be a healthy scratch? Like you said already it was a way to shed salary & put in a young player that had a good camp.

Closed Thread