HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Favorite moment from "the classic 08' Brodeur-mortification series"?

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
LOL did you mean MORTIFY? That's some good talkin' there, Lou
I'm sure your Swedish is MUCH better than Ola's English, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
And for the record, those of you sitting there saying "oh look at Devil fans, have to come and ruin a perfectly good thread." I mean what do you seriously expect to happen, when you have threads titled like this? It pops up on the main board, the conference/divisional board. It's like putting out a signal "hey everyone, we're blatantly dissing your team!"
Get off your high horses, or at least don't act "shocked"
This is the Ranger forum, so you shouldn't shocked at the kind of sentiments your receiving. And I don't know why it's only the NJD fan base that goes into seizures at the very mention of their team by a rival fan base. We can have civil discussion with Isles, Pens and Flyer fans all day long, but use the word "Brodeur" in a thread and it turn into an 18 page pissing contest EVERY SINGLE TIME. Enough already!

Old
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

No, but my Spanish is probably better. Clearly his English is good enough that I can poke fun. He speaks it so well, I'll hold him to the same level I would hold you.

And only NJD fans? True-Life, I hate Sidney Crosby? Last I checked, he's not on our team. That was a great thread. But its only NJD fans, right.

Its not that I'm shocked over the sentiments I'm receiving. But posters in here act confused. "Why are Devil fans coming in here, acting so aggressive?" Look at the thread title! The arrogance involved with it.

I understand the bias I'm going to receive when I come here, but don't act so surprised if we're not jolly when we post! Seriously, how are your posters surprised by this?

I come here to debate. Clearly I'll receive an opposite opinion when I come here. You always blame outside posters for "starting" things. I was trying to debate things, but clearly I'm the one who started everything. With a thread title like this, you knew what was going to happen.

Old
08-07-2008, 10:39 AM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Whats very interesting though is the question -- if NJ's defense can win Brodeur a Vezina ...

...Lundqvist have atleast proved himself on a team with a poor defense. Brodeur have never done that.
Where were you this season? Do you work nights? Haven't watched hockey in a few years? Or was the defenseive unit of NJ this year "good" by your standards?

Wow dude, you missed a great season for Ranger fans last year. Shame!

Honestly though with all sarcasm aside, I love the rivalry and the fact that something can get fans on both sides so fired up! Just shows that hockey is the best game in the world and the Atlantic just rules. OK back to regularly scheduled pissing match

Old
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
This is the Ranger forum, so you shouldn't shocked at the kind of sentiments your receiving. And I don't know why it's only the NJD fan base that goes into seizures at the very mention of their team by a rival fan base. We can have civil discussion with Isles, Pens and Flyer fans all day long, but use the word "Brodeur" in a thread and it turn into an 18 page pissing contest EVERY SINGLE TIME. Enough already!
I'm new to these boards but I dare say you may just be focused on the NJ fans the same way they're focused on seeing "Brodeur" in a Rangers forum. I'm pretty sure fans of every team in the Atlantic react a similar way... although hearing "Brodeur sucks" is simply more ludicrous than hearing, say, "Biron sucks"

Plus, at least from my angle, the overriding sentiment seems to come from things like this - one series goes well for NYR and it's already an "instant classic" but it's the Devils fans with the "inferiority complex"? Seriously? I'm honestly not trying to start anything here, just shooting to offer some objective (as much as I can be, yes my heart is Red and Black!) or n00b insight on why the civility level in the tunnel from Giants Stadium to CAA seemed higher than it can on here sometimes.

Old
08-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMac17 View Post
I'm new to these boards but I dare say you may just be focused on the NJ fans the same way they're focused on seeing "Brodeur" in a Rangers forum.
The difference is, I, and most NYR fans, don't care what Devils fans are saying in the Devils forum. They can trash anyone and anyone associated with NYR and I'm never going to know about, nevermind be bothered by it.

Like you CMac, I love the rivalry, the interaction of fan bases, and yes, even the occasional urinating contest. It's the ratio of civil discussion to bickering that is consistently the problem.

Old
08-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Ola

Quote:
Where were you this season? Do you work nights? Haven't watched hockey in a few years? Or was the defenseive unit of NJ this year "good" by your standards?
Look, what happends when NJ is having a "bad night" or just plays a better team? Do they start giving up allot of odd man rushes? Do they start running around in their end? Do they start gambling to score goals?

Thats what most teams do. But I've never really seen NJ do that. Instead they sacrifize all their offense basically. They sink back and sit with 5 guys in Marty's lap. And they manage to "steal" allot of pts that way.

But if another team manages to start taking the game to NJ and potentially could expose guys like Mottau and co -- the results isn't that the other team does that and Marty starts facing uncontrolled situations. The results are that Mottau and co gives up the redline/blueline and NJ's forwards drops back.

I defenitly think that Marty is still a very good goalie. Most defenitly better then many other starters in this leauge. But I defenitly don't think that he this day and age would have won a Vezina for any other team then NJD. Not a chance. He just isn't keeping his position well enough over 60 minutes.

Quote:
Honestly though with all sarcasm aside, I love the rivalry and the fact that something can get fans on both sides so fired up! Just shows that hockey is the best game in the world and the Atlantic just rules. OK back to regularly scheduled pissing match
Amen!

Old
08-07-2008, 11:34 AM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Thats what most teams do. But I've never really seen NJ do that. Instead they sacrifize all their offense basically. They sink back and sit with 5 guys in Marty's lap. And they manage to "steal" allot of pts that way.

But if another team manages to start taking the game to NJ and potentially could expose guys like Mottau and co -- the results isn't that the other team does that and Marty starts facing uncontrolled situations. The results are that Mottau and co gives up the redline/blueline and NJ's forwards drops back.
You know, there was a day where you'd see 5 guys back for NJ but it seemed to be in a state of flux this year - like the forwards couldn't decide whether they were supposed to be setting up for a breakout play or dropping back for support - what shocked me was other teams starting to get 1-2 goal leads (not just against NJ) and suddenly all 5 players were below the circles! Most notably the Red Wings were all over this strategy (hell, they were winning 99% of the game anyway) and there was definitely a strong commitment to "D" by the Rangers this year as well.

Honestly I saw it as one of Brodeur's best seasons; at 36, he's still going to bounce back and make game-savers and game-changers no matter who the players are in front of him or the system employed - a system can only take the players so far, in any position and on any team. On the other hand, the one thing that was truly exposed about Brodeur this year is that 77 regular season games is just insane.

One thing to understand about the organization though - even Marty can't tell them he's playing on a given night (for personal records or whatever) if they don't want him to. He started all of those games down the stretch because they were trying to win the division and when it was out of reach, they sure as **** aren't going to bench him against the people he could potentially be facing in the playoffs, especially in that last game of the season against the Rangers!

Old
08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Is there a way we can put a team association for each member at HF?

Maybe like an allegiance tag or something, that way i can easily spot whoever posts here from the Devils board and put them on my ignore list.

That would make my experience here much more enjoyable, because about 85% of the rival posters really aren't coming here to engage in "civil discussions".

Old
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Ola

Quote:
You know, there was a day where you'd see 5 guys back for NJ but it seemed to be in a state of flux this year - like the forwards couldn't decide whether they were supposed to be setting up for a breakout play or dropping back for support - what shocked me was other teams starting to get 1-2 goal leads (not just against NJ) and suddenly all 5 players were below the circles! Most notably the Red Wings were all over this strategy (hell, they were winning 99% of the game anyway) and there was definitely a strong commitment to "D" by the Rangers this year as well.

Honestly I saw it as one of Brodeur's best seasons; at 36, he's still going to bounce back and make game-savers and game-changers no matter who the players are in front of him or the system employed - a system can only take the players so far, in any position and on any team. On the other hand, the one thing that was truly exposed about Brodeur this year is that 77 regular season games is just insane.

One thing to understand about the organization though - even Marty can't tell them he's playing on a given night (for personal records or whatever) if they don't want him to. He started all of those games down the stretch because they were trying to win the division and when it was out of reach, they sure as **** aren't going to bench him against the people he could potentially be facing in the playoffs, especially in that last game of the season against the Rangers!
Yeah, I actually wouldn't even say that the Devils trapped last season. The term trap basically sucks since it was first used for teams that backed off in order to lure the other team to the neutral zone -- where they stood up inorder to create counterattacks. Then the term was used for any defensive scheme.

In Sweden we use the term styrspel="steer play" for a organized defensive play created to force the other team to counter attack into certain areas -- and the trap for teams that entire gameplan is about dropping back and creating offense on fast breaks after defensive plays.

However -- in NJ allot of the philosopy is still the same. As long as you don't let in many goals you always have a chance to win a hockey game. Like if you don't have momentum in a hockeygame -- you can go about buiznis in diffrent ways. You can gamble and be opertunistic, or you can collapse and play a 5-man penalty kill basically. NJD defenitly opted for the later option and they did it to a larger extent then any other team.

And I agree with you that Marty still can make game saving saves et c. But I got no doubt whatsoever that he would be exposed allot more allot earlier if it wasn't for NJ's style. He is facing allot of situations -- but they are "controlled" situations. Shots from the outside -- whenever you get inside the box with time to shot; you know that you won't have time to look up and aim. There is a huge diffrence between situations like that and what many other goalies in the league faces.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Ola

NJ and NYR are very alike in one aspect -- both aims to hide D's who are flawed; and thereby get a extra boost in other areas. None of the two teams got D's who can stand up and make top notch defensive plays high up ice. Like Ottawa do for example.

In NY our gameplan is built around the idea to always get the puck safe up ice and deep into the attacking zone. We pick up D's who can hold on to the puck and centers whos biggest strength is to transport it through the neutral zone; like Nylander, Moore, (even Betts), Cullen and Gomez for example through the last 3 seasons.

The effect is that if you get the puck deep and keeps it there for atleast a handful of seconds -- the job for your defense gets allot easier. You always have time to atleast set up a steerplay when you loose the puck and the other team often only manage to attack with 2 isolated forwards which makes the job allot easier for your D's. When that style have worked our D's have looked great; when it haven't they have looked awful

NJ forechecks pretty hard and plays a pretty normal game with the puck. They got a blueline who under normal circumstances would have allot of problems playing a high defense. But when they get pushed back their forwards sinks very deep with their D's. That basically takes away all ice around the net. The cost is that when they win the puck after beeing pushed back; they often only manage to break out with one isolated forward. But it saves their flawed D's.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:30 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
The difference is, I, and most NYR fans, don't care what Devils fans are saying in the Devils forum. They can trash anyone and anyone associated with NYR and I'm never going to know about, nevermind be bothered by it.

Like you CMac, I love the rivalry, the interaction of fan bases, and yes, even the occasional urinating contest. It's the ratio of civil discussion to bickering that is consistently the problem.
Bingo Mel! Bingo. I think deep down they know it too. A fan base that enjoys hating the Rangers more then loving their team. (My perception at least).

I can honestly say that I would not recall the sigs of any poster from the debbies boards if they hadn't come to the Ranger boards to post their bitterness and contempt for anything and anyone wearing a blueshirt. Funny to me because from the day they left Colorado, whether they were good or bad, the NJ Devils never intrigued me as a "have to watch" franchise. They were and are just.......there.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

Some of us like to come here for discussion and debate. Almost everyone will agree with my point of view on the Devils board. I like to come here where someone will challenge my views.
Its my bad for responding to immature banter, and getting off-topic, but I wouldn't blame just me. That's all I'm getting at. I started off that way but one poster, who I normally don't see but was quoted, got on my nerves.

Old
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Bingo Mel! Bingo. I think deep down they know it too. A fan base that enjoys hating the Rangers more then loving their team. (My perception at least).

I can honestly say that I would not recall the sigs of any poster from the debbies boards if they hadn't come to the Ranger boards to post their bitterness and contempt for anything and anyone wearing a blueshirt. Funny to me because from the day they left Colorado, whether they were good or bad, the NJ Devils never intrigued me as a "have to watch" franchise. They were and are just.......there.
well I'm definitely going to have to bite my tongue on the 2nd bolded part...

From just getting to know the stylings of the various posters on the NJD board and meeting fans on my trips down, I think I can speak for most (if not all) and say that your perception is fogged here. I know what you're saying and I challenge not your perception, but think about it - no way!

If the Devils are in 1st, the Rangers could be in 2nd for all I care. Devils hockey is the #1 priority.

Old
08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Now give me a break. Brodeur is the biggest a-hole who ever have been a big star in this league.
Bigger than

Brett Hull
Jermey Roenick
Chris Pronger
Claude Lemieux
Mark Messier (ask Vancouver fans)
Todd Bertuzzi
Chris Simon
Marty McSorely
Sean Avery (ok not a Star)????
During the playoffs I heard you guys say Crosby was

..........Whatever, you might want to rethink that or at least do a little research

So your basic premis is Brodeur is a product of his team defense....

Ok--Lets look at this for a second

When Brodeur retires he will have more wins and more shutouts than anyone in the history of the sport --and one of the lower GAA and one of the higher save% of any goalie that has played more than 800 games. That is certain

In short Statistically no one will be close. But this is a product of his team defense--Right?

Ok

So is what you are saying is

A. The Devils have iced one of the best Defenses of All time? No?

-ok-

B. Are you saying the Devils have been one of the Best Teams of All time?? No?

How can Brodeur put ALL TIME BEST goalie numbers and be a product of his team/ defense without one of these being true?

So which is it? Is Brodeur one of the Best of all time? The Devils Defense one of the Best of ALL time Or maybe its the Devils team was one of the Best of All time???

Either one of the three is acceptable

Old
08-07-2008, 05:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Old
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo23 View Post
You mean this one?

Oh wait, that's Olympic Gold.
Please. If I posted pictures of all the hardware Brodeur has won, including an Olympic gold medal, it'd take you half the day to scroll down the page. You crazy Ranger fan.

Last edited by Darius Dangleaitis: 08-07-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old
08-07-2008, 06:16 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Is there a way we can put a team association for each member at HF?

Maybe like an allegiance tag or something, that way i can easily spot whoever posts here from the Devils board and put them on my ignore list.

That would make my experience here much more enjoyable, because about 85% of the rival posters really aren't coming here to engage in "civil discussions".
I have most of them on my ignore list now. Very few respectable posters anymore, which is a shame as there used to be quite a few.

Surprisingly, I think I actually enjoy the Islanders fanbase better. Who ever would have thought?

Old
08-07-2008, 06:36 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Dangleaitis View Post
Please. If I posted pictures of all the hardware Brodeur has won, including an Olympic gold medal, it'd take you half the day to scroll down the page. You crazy Ranger fan.
Are you posting wallpapers?

Regardless, how much longer has Brodeur been in the league compared to Lundqvist? Give it time.

Old
08-07-2008, 07:15 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
Bigger than

Brett Hull
Jermey Roenick
Chris Pronger
Claude Lemieux
Mark Messier (ask Vancouver fans)
Todd Bertuzzi
Chris Simon
Marty McSorely
Sean Avery (ok not a Star)????
During the playoffs I heard you guys say Crosby was
how could i pass this one up

Brodeur is a bigger hole than...
Hull
Roenick
Messier
Pronger

Tied with Avery

Less of an hole than
Lemiuex
Bertuzzi
Simon
McSorley

remember, this is opinion

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 08-07-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old
08-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Sutter was practically catatonic after the loss in his post game. I dont this there is a more beaten looking coach in the history of pro sports
ever see that episode of the Twilight Zone where the dying guy makes his greedy family wear the hideous masks until he dies, otherwise they don't collect his inheritance?

At the end, the father takes off the mask and his face is all molded like the mask, well that guy = Brent Sutter.

Old
08-07-2008, 08:01 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Happy August, everyone!

Old
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
ever see that episode of the Twilight Zone where the dying guy makes his greedy family wear the hideous masks until he dies, otherwise they don't collect his inheritance?

At the end, the father takes off the mask and his face is all molded like the mask, well that guy = Brent Sutter.
I can't believe you mentioned that, I've always thought the same thing. I thought if I posted it people would think I was nuts; that's a somewhat obscure reference.

Old
08-07-2008, 08:20 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I can't believe you mentioned that, I've always thought the same thing. I thought if I posted it people would think I was nuts; that's a somewhat obscure reference.

Old
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
otto1219

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post

great twilight zone reference, one of my personal fav episodes.

Old
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post

Closed Thread