HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - Ryder had similar offer from Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2008, 11:39 AM
  #26
Son of Donegal
Registered User
 
Son of Donegal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 730
vCash: 500
I can't wait for the Boston/Motreal games this year. Although last year during the regular season I dreaded MTL...I think now after an exciting playoff series...it will be like old times.

Son of Donegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:41 AM
  #27
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
Perseverance would be busting your ass off in practice showing people why you should be in the line-up, and doing the same thing when you get in your games.

Perseverance wouldn't be sitting in the press box, making paper airplanes, and basically packing it in for the season.
Jiggernaut - You have no proof that he wasn't busting his ass in practice, and you have no proof that he was making paper airplanes besides for a french journalist with a hate on for him.

Ryder very rarely took nights off when he was in the lineup. That is one thing I could say about the guy, he always tried hard. It just wasn't clicking for him this year. He didn't pack it in for the season, the coach packed it in for him.

It's too bad, the amount of flak the guy took around here - from being a PP Specialist (even though he was second on the team for even strength goals over his 4 year career with the Habs, next to Kovalev who had 2 more) to being soft (where did he get all those hits in the stats column), to never passing the puck (3rd on the team over 4 years with 108 assists), to scoring useless goals. (2nd on the team over 4 years with 15 GWG, 1 less that Kovalev with 16.) Lets not even bring up the fact that he was the leading goalscorer 3 years in a row.

It's too bad Ryder is gone, but I wish him all the best in Boston where I think he will do well.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
  #28
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 25,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
They weren't great defensively either..tied us for GA..12th out of 30 is decent.
Savard wasn't the checking line center of Boston. He didn't get 78pts playing the role of shutting down the opponant's team's best line every game.

And once again, the +/- stat doesnt show at all how good or bad defensively a player can be.
Koivu finished a season with +1, then dropped to -21 the next year, and last year went to a -4.
Did Koivu suddenly forget to play defensively for a season?? The same season he gets career high PTS.
Same can be said with Ryder that respectively had, +10, -5, -25, -4.

This means +/- Stat is quite Bogus. But if you've watched Ryder play, you know he's far from being defensively reliable.
Actually, Savard did play against the top lines most nights, as BOS didn't have a traditional "checking line". Also, you are proving my point with your comments about plus/minus...it's more of team stat than an individual one, and while you might consider BOS OK defensively, they were far superior to basically the same team under Dave Lewis the year before.

I have seen Ryder play against the B's mostly, and the odd game, but I doubt he can be any worse than Murray was defensively.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
  #29
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post

It's too bad, the amount of flak the guy took around here - from being a PP Specialist (even though he was second on the team for even strength goals over his 4 year career with the Habs, next to Kovalev who had 2 more) to being soft (where did he get all those hits in the stats column), to never passing the puck (3rd on the team over 4 years with 108 assists), to scoring useless goals. (2nd on the team over 4 years with 15 GWG, 1 less that Kovalev with 16.) Lets not even bring up the fact that he was the leading goalscorer 3 years in a row.

It's too bad Ryder is gone, but I wish him all the best in Boston where I think he will do well.
That's funny. You base your stats on 4 years ago (till now) when most of the present players weren't on the team back then.

The only players who remain from that 2003-04 team are:
- Saku Koivu
- Patrice Brisebois (although he only wasn't here from 2005 to 2007)
- Andrei Markov
- Francis Bouillon
- Steve Begin
- Mike Komisarek (played 46 games)
- Alex Kovalev (played 12 games with us in the 2003-04 reg. season)
- Tomas Plekanec & Chris Higgins (both appeared in 2 games in 03-04)

Yet you compare Ryder to Kovalev without even mentioning that Ryder played 78 more games than Kovalev in a Habs uniform, almost a complete season's worth.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
  #30
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
I'd like to say hi to all the Boston fans reading this thread.

Just like to add, just about everyone is glad we let Ryder go. Even if he scores close to 40.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
  #31
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
That's funny. You base your stats on 4 years ago (till now) when most of the present players weren't on the team back then.

The only players who remain from that 2003-04 team are:
- Saku Koivu
- Patrice Brisebois (although he only wasn't here from 2005 to 2007)
- Andrei Markov
- Francis Bouillon
- Steve Begin
- Mike Komisarek (played 46 games)
- Alex Kovalev (played 12 games with us in the 2003-04 reg. season)
- Tomas Plekanec & Chris Higgins (both appeared in 2 games in 03-04)

Yet you compare Ryder to Kovalev without even mentioning that Ryder played 78 more games than Kovalev in a Habs uniform, almost a complete season's worth.
Incorrect. NHL.com's stat machine gives Kovalev's entire year point total, all 78 games of which I used his stats for.

What is wrong with comparing him to Koivu and Kovalev? They are the two top players on the team are they not? I'll throw in Pleks and Higgins seasons since they were rookies if that makes you happy. Ryder's numbers will still beat theirs by a long shot. Perhaps you have forgotten that before last season, they were middle of the road 30-40 point guys max.

You're the one that is funny. Come back and try again later perhaps?

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
  #32
Kosikarzzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
I know you're on welfare so i wont take your bet and take your money away from you but rest assured Ryder will miss some games with the B's this year.
Ahhhman....that is an awesome avatar even though its a knock on Lucic. You hab fans must love that. That has to be the best anti-Bruin avatar I have seen.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
  #33
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
Ahhhman....that is an awesome avatar even though its a knock on Lucic. You hab fans must love that. That has to be the best anti-Bruin avatar I have seen.
We just love that cross-dressing Neely wannabe!

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:05 PM
  #34
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,726
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
Ahhhman....that is an awesome avatar even though its a knock on Lucic. You hab fans must love that. That has to be the best anti-Bruin avatar I have seen.
Feel free to pop by once in a while, IP is just warming up.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
  #35
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
Savard was very underrated before and his a hell of a playmaker..
He's also great because he skates with his stick on the ice as Kelly Hrudey told us 25 times.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
  #36
Joe Lamb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: downeast
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I'd like to say hi to all the Boston fans reading this thread.

Just like to add, just about everyone is glad we let Ryder go. Even if he scores close to 40.

You can say it , but I think you are wrong. Ryder is a solid player not appreciated
by a vocal minority.

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
  #37
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
He's also great because he skates with his stick on the ice as Kelly Hrudey told us 25 times.
Oh golly, I had forgotten about that... now I'll haveto go lie in a corner in the fetal position and rock myself like a baby....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:15 PM
  #38
Habs10Habs
Retired
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,726
vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
He's also great because he skates with his stick on the ice as Kelly Hrudey told us 25 times.
thanks I'm having flashbacks now.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
  #39
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
Perseverance would be busting your ass off in practice showing people why you should be in the line-up, and doing the same thing when you get in your games.

Perseverance wouldn't be sitting in the press box, making paper airplanes, and basically packing it in for the season.
dude...you have no idea who Ryder is.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
  #40
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
I think I missed something about Ryder.. did he kill someone's child or best friend?

Man you guys are so bitter.

"I'm SO GLAD RYDER'S gone! He was ruining my life!"

Like, yeah everyone's better off now, but chillllll.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 02:48 PM
  #41
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
dude...you have no idea who Ryder is.
I agree... (although I have a strong feeling you were sarcastic, as always) Ryder fought his way to the NHL, through the ECHL and then the AHL and was several votes away at the age of 24 to be the Calder winner.

And the paper airplane thing is untrue, it wasn't him, it was Grabs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 03:17 PM
  #42
Slick Nick
Registered User
 
Slick Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montréal
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,712
vCash: 500
Tanguay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ryder

/thread

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 03:25 PM
  #43
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,096
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Ryder sucks, even if he scored 50G, im happy he's gone.
I have a feeling some crazy fans will keep making threads ''a la Ribeiro'' over the course of the season if he finds success.
This thread is already annoying. What is the point of it really?..To show VAN wanted him?..Shall we make a thread for each team that wanted him/Streit/Huet?

This thread has no point? Yet it`s generating conversation

Your post has no point -- it`s just childish whining


Anyways it`s interesting to see there was that much interest in him at such a lofty price. He`s not a bad player, he does hustle, and seeing that he had 25-30-30 goal seasons in his first 3 NHL years can be inticing for a GM


Last edited by Joey: 08-06-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:09 PM
  #44
wade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
ryder's new nickname = Moose Killer

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:30 PM
  #45
lawless and lulu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
ryder will have a good year, he will finally get to play with some good playmakers. im glad he is in boston, he needed to get out of montreal ASAP. he will do well....reminds me of when ribeiro left and everyone thought he was useless...he seems to be doing ok...i expect the same for ryder.

lawless and lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 04:42 PM
  #46
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 24,268
vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackeight View Post
ryder will have a good year, he will finally get to play with some good playmakers. im glad he is in boston, he needed to get out of montreal ASAP. he will do well....reminds me of when ribeiro left and everyone thought he was useless...he seems to be doing ok...i expect the same for ryder.
That's right everybody think he's gonna score like 11 goals and be -17

Most people here know he's gonna light it up and score around 30 this year. He's back with Julien and on a team with 2 good playmaking centers, there is no reasons for him to fail.

I expected to go the the Nucks because he would fit well with the Sedins who really never had anyone to play with. And no Bulis dosen't count.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 05:20 PM
  #47
lawless and lulu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
That's right everybody think he's gonna score like 11 goals and be -17

Most people here know he's gonna light it up and score around 30 this year. He's back with Julien and on a team with 2 good playmaking centers, there is no reasons for him to fail.

I expected to go the the Nucks because he would fit well with the Sedins who really never had anyone to play with. And no Bulis dosen't count.

there are a few that think ryder will do nothing nothing in boston, believe it or not.

but most think he will be fine,,,,including myself. i was a guy that said ryder would score 35-40 if given a true playmaker. now he has that chance. if he dont score 35-40 than i would have been wrong all along. cause if he fails in boston, theres no excuse.

lawless and lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 06:58 PM
  #48
colinstead
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Here is a story for you guys. My girlfriend, last xmas, gave me a boston bruins car air freshener. I left it at home when I moved away from Newfoundland to Regina. About 2 weeks ago my dad (who is disabled) got a knock on the door. When he answered it, standing on the door step is Michael Ryder. Michael who is best friends with our next door neighbour heard through the grapevine that my dad is the biggest Bruins fan in town. Because he is disabled Michael came down to visit my dad and to autograph some Bruins jerseys that he owns. Prior to leaving our house my dad looks and michael and says "Michael by'e, I got a little something to give you now before you go!". "Oh, what is that then Ken" Michael said... Dad looks at michael and hands him the Bruins air freshener. " I want you to put this in you truck now Michael so that you can get that stink of montreal out of there"... Michael thought that was hilarious.... Anyways. may not be funny seeing how its typed... But it was sure funny hearing it in person.. haha.
Cheers!

colinstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 07:06 PM
  #49
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Hmmmm. Most of all Ryder just seemed to be not shooting the puck. Even when encouraged to do so. I just decided to take a peak at his shots and sure enough:
G SH SH% ave sh/game
2003-2004 Canadiens 81 215 11.6 2.65 shots per game

2005-2006 Canadiens 81 243 12.3 3.0 shots per game
2006-2007 Canadiens 82 221 13.6 2.7 shots per game
2007-2008 Canadiens 70 134 10.4 1.91 shots per game

His best years he was almost at 3 shots per game. Last year he was less than 2 shots. per game. Even with his drop to 10.4% and reduced games played, he would have scored 8 more goals giving him 22 in 70 games. And if he shot he probably would have played the other 12 games for at least 3 more just going by his own stats.

11 more goals just by shooting like he used to. If he does that in Boston he will do better

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2008, 07:18 PM
  #50
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,731
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinstead View Post
Here is a story for you guys. My girlfriend, last xmas, gave me a boston bruins car air freshener. I left it at home when I moved away from Newfoundland to Regina. About 2 weeks ago my dad (who is disabled) got a knock on the door. When he answered it, standing on the door step is Michael Ryder. Michael who is best friends with our next door neighbour heard through the grapevine that my dad is the biggest Bruins fan in town. Because he is disabled Michael came down to visit my dad and to autograph some Bruins jerseys that he owns. Prior to leaving our house my dad looks and michael and says "Michael by'e, I got a little something to give you now before you go!". "Oh, what is that then Ken" Michael said... Dad looks at michael and hands him the Bruins air freshener. " I want you to put this in you truck now Michael so that you can get that stink of montreal out of there"... Michael thought that was hilarious.... Anyways. may not be funny seeing how its typed... But it was sure funny hearing it in person.. haha.
Cheers!
Hahahah, that's pretty good.

Also, that's real good of Ryder to do that.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.