HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need Advice on Injuries

Old
08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
slightlystoopid

vCash: 500
Need Advice on Injuries

So I've been playing for approximately 4 years now. I am currently 16, 6 foot and 169.6 pounds. For the last two years I've been playing JV as I did not take my hockey too seriously to begin with. Now, my coach has approached me and assured me that varsity is just around the corner this season. We hit the ice in October.
The problem is, my mom has been really getting into my head. She warns me that if I get seriously injured my life will be ruined. She knows how much I love hockey, as it is one of my only passions and I never want to give it up.
I never worried about injury before, but this time my mom really put the thought deep in my head. I never thought about it before, but varsity is going to be a huge difference from JV. For the first time I'm scared to play hockey. I haven't been concussed or injured in the three years I've been playing contact hockey (knock on wood), and I really pray to keep it this way.
We've talked about it and decided that for sure I'll be getting a neck brace the next time I hit the pro shop. Do you all think this will help? I know it's required in Canada, which is re-assuring. I'm really afraid of a spinal injury and the neck brace seems to really be protective.
So, what I need is advice/comments/thoughts on injuries. What is the likelihood of getting seriously injured? Thanks for reading.

slightlystoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Congo

The grand majority of injuries can be avoided by playing smart. Don't skate across the middle with your head down, never be against the boards and not braced for a check, etc.

That said, as someone who had his lacrosse career ended by concussions, let me tell you that the effect of these injuries has been somewhat overrated. I went through 3 concussions in 27 months, and even now I still get post-concussion symptoms. My balance sucks, I get dizzy spells, I can't write or paint in super fine detail, and I get migraines. I'm still your average university student. There's the odd time where I can't go out because my head is pounding and I want to puke, but 99.9% of the time I'm just your average guy. I'm still getting an education, and unless I explicitly explained to you what happened, you wouldn't know.

Unless you get a really, really serious injury, you can still walk away and live a normal life. It's only when you try to live an exceptional one that it gets a bit dicey. Multiple concussions, if they're bad enough, and if they don't have enough time in between them can make it unsafe to play competitive contact sports, and can really suck at times, but they won't impede your ability to be a normal guy unless you push it until you get one too many.

Other injuries I can't really speak to. Through hockey and lacrosse, my joints were mercifully okay. There was the odd strain here and there, but that's all. I'm sure someone else can contribute in this regard.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 12:14 AM
deanosaur

You mean neck guard right? I really hope you don't mean an actual neck brace that'll do you more harm than good. The neck guard honestly all it will protect you from is a puck hitting you in the neck or a stick. The impact still hurts but you won't get cut or atleast shouldn't get cut. In my opinion it almost does nothing for you besides the things I just stated.

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. You can't guarantee yourself you WON'T get injured. **** happens nothing you can do about it. You can play smart and go with it. If anything someone should talk to your mom and tell her anything you do can cause serious injury.

Honestly, I'd more worried about getting hit by a car than playing hockey and getting a serious injury.

Likelihood of getting seriously injured isn't as often as you think. You'll get sore, bruises, cuts. No big deal. It's not like guys break legs/arms/neck every game noone would play it.

I mean you have been playing hockey already... No REAL difference in terms how often injuries happen or how severe injuries are by playing on the Varsity team.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 01:11 AM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Remember that your basically playing people your same age and a year older. Its not that big of a difference. You can get hurt doing anything and if you scared to get hurt and you let that affect what you do in life, then get ready for a boring life. Alot of schools dont have junior and senior teams just one team with all ages. I started playing in grade 9, against people who were in grade 13 (people who stayed back an extra year) and I did fine and it really made me get better because I had to work harder to compete.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystoopid View Post
So I've been playing for approximately 4 years now. I am currently 16, 6 foot and 169.6 pounds. For the last two years I've been playing JV as I did not take my hockey too seriously to begin with. Now, my coach has approached me and assured me that varsity is just around the corner this season. We hit the ice in October.
The problem is, my mom has been really getting into my head. She warns me that if I get seriously injured my life will be ruined. She knows how much I love hockey, as it is one of my only passions and I never want to give it up.
I never worried about injury before, but this time my mom really put the thought deep in my head. I never thought about it before, but varsity is going to be a huge difference from JV. For the first time I'm scared to play hockey. I haven't been concussed or injured in the three years I've been playing contact hockey (knock on wood), and I really pray to keep it this way.
We've talked about it and decided that for sure I'll be getting a neck brace the next time I hit the pro shop. Do you all think this will help? I know it's required in Canada, which is re-assuring. I'm really afraid of a spinal injury and the neck brace seems to really be protective.
So, what I need is advice/comments/thoughts on injuries. What is the likelihood of getting seriously injured? Thanks for reading.
Well, I'm pretty sure you mean a neck guard, not a brace. Maltese Hockey makes one of the finest neck guards you can buy for your money. It's custom fitted to your neck. As for the other guys that posted on this thread that says it's kind of a waste, I would not agree with that.

In fact, having it can save your live. Do you know that you can bleed out in under 45 seconds. How long does it take for a first aid unit to get to your rink? Not having one is like playing Russian Roulette with the odds. Yes, it hasen't happend to you and several others. But what about the NHL guy last year who almost didn't make it.

I bet if you ask him today, he would tell you that he wished he had it on that day.

Look, hockey is not a game for weak hearted. That's why it's the fastest sport this side of NASCAR racing. Get the neck guard and go have fun. Stop abscessing whether you are going to be paralyzed or not.

You can get hit by a car walking across your street. Just go play hockey and have fun. Don't forget the neck guard!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2008, 12:53 PM
hockeywidow

I'm a mom and a worrier so I could understand her feelings. I'm also a nurse so that makes things worse I think. My boys play hockey and I am a nervous wreck. They aren't at the checking age yet, but I see my little one sneaking some in even though the coach is telling me he's just 'bumping and grinding' out there. Just yesterday he complained about wearing his neck guard yet again. Guess what!? He was tomahawked (if that's what you call it) and the kids stick hit his shoulder and his neck. The hit was so hard it put a deep bruise in his neck under his neck guard. Can you imagine if he didn't have it on?? The one he had on is so old and thin that we are ordering a new one. I'm looking online at them all right now.
If your mom is like me, I'm his #1 cheerleader , but I do worry a lot! You got great advice from all the posters here!

hockeywidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure you mean a neck guard, not a brace. Maltese Hockey makes one of the finest neck guards you can buy for your money. It's custom fitted to your neck. As for the other guys that posted on this thread that says it's kind of a waste, I would not agree with that.

In fact, having it can save your live. Do you know that you can bleed out in under 45 seconds. How long does it take for a first aid unit to get to your rink? Not having one is like playing Russian Roulette with the odds. Yes, it hasen't happend to you and several others. But what about the NHL guy last year who almost didn't make it.

I bet if you ask him today, he would tell you that he wished he had it on that day.

Look, hockey is not a game for weak hearted. That's why it's the fastest sport this side of NASCAR racing. Get the neck guard and go have fun. Stop abscessing whether you are going to be paralyzed or not.

You can get hit by a car walking across your street. Just go play hockey and have fun. Don't forget the neck guard!

Head coach
Once again, great advice from Headcoach!

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote