HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Kilger update

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Anod

vCash: 500
Kilger update

I found this on Gorten's blog.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_hockey_panthers/2008/07/mix-and-match-m.html

Quote:
Asked Tuesday if he'd consider trading Kilger at this point, GM Jacques Martin said, "It isnít an issue of playing here. Itís family issues heís trying to resolve. If he was going to play somewhere else I would have entertained trading him. But it wasnít an issue of playing somewhere lese. It's an issue of whether heíll continue with his hockey career or not."
Well it sounds like he could still be an option next year, if he can resolve his issues. Although I'm not so sure there will be a spot available for him. He would be a good veteran to have on the farm team as an emergency call up if needed.

Old
07-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
I wouldn't mind him on the bottom lines, or even as a grinding option on the 1st or 2nd lines if a physical presence is necessary. I really hope that he is able to play next season, as his speed, physical presence, and fore/backchecking ability will be appreciated when needed, even if he doesn't have much of a scoring touch.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
I wouldn't mind him on the bottom lines, or even as a grinding option on the 1st or 2nd lines if a physical presence is necessary. I really hope that he is able to play next season, as his speed, physical presence, and fore/backchecking ability will be appreciated when needed, even if he doesn't have much of a scoring touch.
I'd like to see him play as well. We need a guy like him on the checking line. Belak-Campbell-Kilger is a solid 4th line. Kilger's a big guy, which we like, and takes the body.

I've heard that Kilger's been trying to save his marriage and that's why he didn't report here.

07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I've heard that Kilger's been trying to save his marriage and that's why he didn't report here.
I was wondering myself what the infamous "family issues" actually are.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:02 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
This **** is not worth a 3rd round pick.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
why don't you wait and see how things turn out, pally? sheez.

Old
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Acadmus

Kilger's issues are a 'private matter' - so that's how they'll stay. Let's please not resort to baseless speculation, since that violates board rules on libel. Panther fans or not, the nature of Kilger's issues are none of our business, as curious as we may be or incensed we may be over his not reporting.

Last edited by Kristia: 07-02-2008 at 12:00 PM. Reason: removed delete quote...
Old
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
FlaPanthers7

He's still not worth the 3rd round pick we gave up in a good draft with Martin knowing about his personal issues. It's really Martin's only blemish IMO. Jury's out on the Jokinen trade still...

Last edited by Acadmus: 07-02-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: referring to mod action
Old
07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
He's still not worth the 3rd round pick we gave up in a good draft with Martin knowing about his personal issues. It's really Martin's only blemish IMO. Jury's out on the Jokinen trade still...
i'd go along with the fact that it *appears* to be a blemish right now. not because he wasn't worth the 3rd (we may never know about that), but just because we got caught holding our youknowwhats.

it's still possible that this may turn out well, though.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Remax

I would really like to see Kilger resolve his issues and be ready for the start of the season with the Panthers. As a Leafs fan I have had the pleasure of watching him for a few years now, and while he is frustrating at times seeing him not score when he should, he was one of if not the only Leaf who went out and gave his all every game. As others have said he has great speed, and size, and loves to hit, he also has a booming shot which has won him the hardest shot for the last few years at the Leafs competition.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I don't think Kilger's coming back. He's now divorced after whatever happened last year, which I am not allowed to say here, and I doubt he gets it together, trains, and suits up for next season. That's just my feeling. He has enough money, he doesn't need the extra 700K. Martin wanted a response from him by early May and it seems like he still hasn't gotten one, and it looks like he's gone about making moves as if he's not expecting Kilger back. JMO.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:02 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

I don't hold it against Kilger for wanting to take care of his problems, it's not like he just said "I refuse to play for the Panthers".

Martin on the other hand should have known what he was getting...

Old
07-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I'd like to see him play as well!!! I think he could be a key guy for us on that checking line.

Old
07-04-2008, 12:46 PM
HardHitHorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindeadalive View Post
I don't hold it against Kilger for wanting to take care of his problems, it's not like he just said "I refuse to play for the Panthers".

Martin on the other hand should have known what he was getting...
Agreed. I don't think I've ever seen a trade where a player didn't play a game for that team. How does that happen? Maybe it was just too much for Martin to be the coach & GM since he didn't do a good job doing either. Wait he is also doing a bad job at GM. Opps

Old
07-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I'd like to see him play as well!!! I think he could be a key guy for us on that checking line.
Think so too!

Old
07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHitHorton View Post
Agreed. I don't think I've ever seen a trade where a player didn't play a game for that team. How does that happen? Maybe it was just too much for Martin to be the coach & GM since he didn't do a good job doing either. Wait he is also doing a bad job at GM. Opps
Exactly, so how was Martin supposed to know that Kilger was not going to play another NHL game for the rest of the season, and perhaps now, maybe his whole career? I don't know exactly what Martin knew or didn't know, but if the guy is already in Florida ready to play against us, it would seem like he's ready to go.

Anyway, I hope Kilger decides to play. Seems like he'd really work well in Pete's forechecking system.

-ghoste

Old
07-04-2008, 02:05 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Exactly, so how was Martin supposed to know that Kilger was not going to play another NHL game for the rest of the season, and perhaps now, maybe his whole career? I don't know exactly what Martin knew or didn't know, but if the guy is already in Florida ready to play against us, it would seem like he's ready to go.

Anyway, I hope Kilger decides to play. Seems like he'd really work well in Pete's forechecking system.

-ghoste
Everyone seems to gloss over this fact whenever JM is criticized on the trade.

I don't think any amount of due diligence would have brought to light what Kilger's mindset would be as a result of being traded. All indications showed he was ready to play for Toronto, so why not for any other team willing to pay him?

Outside of being his shrink or a psychic, I don't see how anyone could have prognosticated this scenario. It seems absurd that this could completely be pinned on JM or Nieuwendyk (who suggested the trade).

Old
07-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Exactly, this was an anomaly so it just can't be truly blamed on anyone.

-ghoste

Old
07-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Mike Burrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok-AtTheDriveIn-en View Post
If he plays, it is.

Old
07-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Mike Burrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
Everyone seems to gloss over this fact whenever JM is criticized on the trade.

I don't think any amount of due diligence would have brought to light what Kilger's mindset would be as a result of being traded. All indications showed he was ready to play for Toronto, so why not for any other team willing to pay him?

Outside of being his shrink or a psychic, I don't see how anyone could have prognosticated this scenario. It seems absurd that this could completely be pinned on JM or Nieuwendyk (who suggested the trade).
He wasn't playing in Toronto prior to the trade either.

Panthers fans, if they don't like the trade, need to realize that JM didn't quite do his homework. That being said, Kilger is a really nice player.

Old
07-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan100 View Post
He wasn't playing in Toronto prior to the trade either.

Panthers fans, if they don't like the trade, need to realize that JM didn't quite do his homework. That being said, Kilger is a really nice player.
He was with Toronto and was ready to play. He was there. He had come out of his leave of absence and was ready to play. I've been saying this since it happened, how man guys take two leaves of absence in the same year? Is it not easy to see that if he was already back, it was more likely that he'd continue to play? What "homework?" He was listed on Toronto's sheet as ready to go.

Old
07-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Slick Cat

Quote:
He was with Toronto and was ready to play. He was there. He had come out of his leave of absence and was ready to play. I've been saying this since it happened, how man guys take two leaves of absence in the same year? Is it not easy to see that if he was already back, it was more likely that he'd continue to play? What "homework?" He was listed on Toronto's sheet as ready to go.
Add him to the Bouw trade to Ottawa.

Old
07-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Mike Burrell

Quote:
Dude, not really. I live in Toronto. Everything gets shoved in your face over and over again (which is a good thing, don't get me wrong but...when Sundin's marriage is front page news on one of our newspapers more than once in a week...) when it comes to the Leafs (or anything in the hockey world actually but especially the Leafs).

He came back, played again...and then didn't play again. He hadn't played right before the trade with Florida. That's why most people assumed Kilger's issue was with the Leafs. It wouldn't make sense for JM to trade for a player who isn't playing.

At this point we don't know what the "homework" would have been exactly. It didn't look like Kilger was going to play. We, here in Toronto, didn't expect him to play. JM gave up a 3rd rounder for a player who was a question mark. If Kilger WAS playing, it would be a nice deal, but he wasn't.

The Leafs traded a player. They're allowed to do that. They did nothing wrong. Kilger, well we don't know what the issue is, so let's assume it's legitimate and wish him the best. And the Panthers, well, probably shouldn't have traded for him without finding out if he's going to play for sure. Again, he was a question mark.

Old
07-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

All we're saying is that it appeared like Kilger was ready to play. He played the six games before the trade deadline with Toronto. As far as I know, he was in Florida (with Toronto) and ready to play against the Panthers. After the trade he asked Martin for a leave of absence, eventually was suspended, and never played another game the rest of the season.

So in the end, I just think that blaming Martin entirely is pretty silly (not saying you did).

-ghoste

Last edited by Ghoste: 07-07-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old
07-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Mike Burrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
All we're saying is that it appeared like Kilger was ready to play. He played the six games before the trade deadline with Toronto. As far as I know, he was in Florida (with Toronto) and ready to play against the Panthers. After the trade he asked Martin for a leave of absence, eventually was suspended, and never played another game the rest of the season.

So in the end, I'm just think that blaming Martin entirely is pretty silly (not saying you did).

-ghoste
You're right. Hmmmm... I thought he wasn't playing right before the trade. My mistake, sorry.

Closed Thread