HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should pro players play in the Olympics?

Old
08-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Should pro players play in the Olympics?

So let me ask you this simple question...

Do you think it's fare for pro players to play in the Olympics? I remember growing up, that this was every kids dream, was to play on the National team and a chance to win gold.

It was kind of another way for the kid that didn't have a whole lot of money to go to college, a way to some day make it to the big leagues.

But now a days, it just not so. With big contract pro players making 10 million dollars a year, they are getting all of the attention fighting for the gold and kicking everyones a** in the process.

Doesn't that just take everything out of the game? Should the Olympics just be for the amateur player and not the $10 million dollars pro player?

Don't you just feel better to see and amateur kick the ever loving sh** out of some one, then to see a pro player kick the crap out of an amateur!

Or, should we just clap our hands and say...."Way to go million dollar man, you sure showed them, didn't you!"

I say...let's go back to the way it was. Let the amateur play!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:57 AM
johnunit

Send a message via MSN to johnunit
I think you should let the best people play. It's silly to not let someone play because they're good enough to, under a different sanctioning body, be paid for it. It's like only giving Nobel Prizes to backyard astronomers and kids in the science fair. It doesn't matter for sports like Kayaking, Swimming, Speed-skating, etc. because they can't make significant money off it anyway, but if the thing you're best at is hockey, it seems silly to have to choose between being in the Olympics, and being in the NHL, the two accepted measures of a great player. Ruling out anyone who gets paid for it seems like a weird way of thinning out the talent pool, and seems a tad hypocritical when you start looking at the sponsorships most great olympic athletes get. Isn't that also being paid for being good at what you do? Surely RBC wouldn't be paying you anything or putting their name behind you if you weren't a great Kayaker. How is that really different than the New York Rangers saying you're a great hockey player and them giving you money to succeed for them?

johnunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:27 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Yes. The Olympics is a competition of a country's best. And the best are playing in the NHL. Atleast from a Canadian perspective, but I think the States is in the same boat.

As for amateurs, isn't that what the World Juniors are for? And if you're playing in that, then there's a strong chance are you'll be making an appearance in the NHL. And it happens every year, not once every four.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes amateurism is an out-dated, exploitive and classist concept based on revisionist history.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 03:13 AM
MG91

Let the best players do their thing. They deserve to be there, they are the best in the world and thats what the Olympics are all about

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Gino 14

The Russians answered that question a long time ago. They always sent professionals to the Olympics. Anytime you subsidize an athlete like they did to allow them to train year round and not have to support themselves, you're sending pros. Everyone should be allowed to send their best.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:07 AM
krax

At what precise moment do you stop being an amateur?

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:55 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Don't you just feel better to see and amateur kick the ever loving sh** out of some one, then to see a pro player kick the crap out of an amateur!
There are no amateurs at the Olympics, so that can't happen.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
frito

I guess I'm in the minority here and agree 100% with coach. To me, the dream just seems to be gone sending the NHL's to the Olympics. Never again will we see a "Miracle on Ice" type of thing as long as we're sending the pros. All we're watching is the prima donas getting mroe face time. Maybe not as much with the hockey players as with the basketball players, but it is the prima donas nonetheless.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
At what precise moment do you stop being an amateur?
When you get paid with a check.

Old
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
To me, the dream just seems to be gone sending the NHL's to the Olympics. Never again will we see a "Miracle on Ice" type of thing as long as we're sending the pros.
Without the Soviet pros there wouldn't have been a Miracle on ice in the first place.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I think the best players should play. If it's an amatuer, then so be it. What ever gives us the best chance to win (this goes for every country)

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
I guess I'm in the minority here and agree 100% with coach. To me, the dream just seems to be gone sending the NHL's to the Olympics. Never again will we see a "Miracle on Ice" type of thing as long as we're sending the pros. All we're watching is the prima donas getting mroe face time. Maybe not as much with the hockey players as with the basketball players, but it is the prima donas nonetheless.
No Canadian kid I know dreamed of winning of Olympic gold medal before the pros were allowed to play because in Canada, all we REALLY care for, is the Stanley Cup. I understand that Americans want to relieve the magic that the 1980 Winter Olympic were but, personnally, I prefer to see the best players go at it, it is WAY more fun.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:06 AM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
When you get paid with a check.
Well, then I doubt there's been any amateur at the olympics for the last 50 years
I think it's a little bit more complex...

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I think that we should go back to the way it was. Hold try-outs of the best amateur kids in the nation. Let them play that way. No one said it better than Herb Brooks. Once they made dream teams, there was no more reason to dream.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

I'd rather watch the pros than Billy from down the street.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Yeah, otherwise it wouldn't be watched probably. They know what they're doing.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Robo-Pope

Not allowing professionals in hockey would be difficult because there are so damn many professional leagues--it would end up being essentially restricted to junior players, and considering that in places kids are paid at a very young age, some countries would basically be shut out.

Robo-Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Devil Dancer

Please, keep the pros! Olympic hockey, in its current form, is the only event that doesn't completely suck.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
mbeam

Olympic sports are platforms for the best talent in the to world compete and that is going to be the professionals. So yes, let them play. I think its unfair to suggest that just because they are getting paid millions elsewhere that they would be less enthusiastic to play for their country than amateurs would be and that the level of play would diminish.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

I love the Olympics because of the national chemisty between the Pro players.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
no.95

The pros should stay.
Kind of hard to find amateur players these days outside the NCAA.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 06:03 PM
MikeD

The desire to see the Olympic Games a platform for Ameteur sports has nothing to do with reliving 1980. That event could never be duplicated. It was a different time. The truth of the matter, to affect the nation, is that it could have been ANY team sport. We were fortunate that the hockey gods smiled on our boys that day. Do you feel that we americans are that shallow and insecure about ourselves as a nation that we would need to relive it? Its a new day and for the most part, the USA is very FORWARD minded. Just look at how many times we(government) have failed to learn from past mistakes and repeat them! lol

Most athletes, regardless of national origin, dream of olympic gold. To even suggest that Olympic Hockey Gold was a "MEH" to the majority of Canadians is ubsurd. Canadian Olympic Hockey starting in 1920 had them holding 5 of the first six Gold medals. Earning four consecutive with just one "draw" with the USA, preventing Canada from winning gold the first six times. The Rosters of these teams were drawn from the Clubs that were to form the foundations of the NHL.

Canada Felt strongly enough about the value of Olympic gold that after Several more Olympics pass with out gold, they boycott the venue and protest the eastern-bloc teams rosters. While these teams did have governement subsidy, they were NOT gainfully employed. This is the fundamental difference between ameteur and pro.

NHL, NBA and MLS players are gainfully employed by the sport. Those players who are rostered on any of these teams should not be eligible.

"To be a religion i.e. to "adhere to an ideal of a higher life, to strive for perfection"; to represent an elite "whose origins are completely egalitarian" and at the same time "chivalry" with its moral qualities; to create a truce "a four-yearly festival of the springtime of mankind"; and to glorify beauty by the "involvement of the philosophic arts in the Games".

These were the four quiding principles when the IOC was formed in the late 1800's. The idea of ameteur status for entrants falls in line with egalitarianism. This gives all nations and peoples an equal footing. Professionals entered do not provide any type of equality when viewed with a broad perspective. Those nations who are fortunate to have the "disposable income" will have a disproportionate advantage over those people who reside in a nation of lesser means.

the Pros have their world championships. There can be no comparison between the golds won by the teams prior to allowing pros into the games. They just dont seem to have the same shine. Give the games back to the youths. I would rather see the old days of players giving 110% than the games of today where it is less than that.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The desire to see the Olympic Games a platform for Ameteur sports has nothing to do with reliving 1980. That event could never be duplicated. It was a different time. The truth of the matter, to affect the nation, is that it could have been ANY team sport. We were fortunate that the hockey gods smiled on our boys that day. Do you feel that we americans are that shallow and insecure about ourselves as a nation that we would need to relive it? Its a new day and for the most part, the USA is very FORWARD minded. Just look at how many times we(government) have failed to learn from past mistakes and repeat them! lol

Most athletes, regardless of national origin, dream of olympic gold. To even suggest that Olympic Hockey Gold was a "MEH" to the majority of Canadians is ubsurd. Canadian Olympic Hockey starting in 1920 had them holding 5 of the first six Gold medals. Earning four consecutive with just one "draw" with the USA, preventing Canada from winning gold the first six times. The Rosters of these teams were drawn from the Clubs that were to form the foundations of the NHL.

Canada Felt strongly enough about the value of Olympic gold that after Several more Olympics pass with out gold, they boycott the venue and protest the eastern-bloc teams rosters. While these teams did have governement subsidy, they were NOT gainfully employed. This is the fundamental difference between ameteur and pro.

NHL, NBA and MLS players are gainfully employed by the sport. Those players who are rostered on any of these teams should not be eligible.

"To be a religion i.e. to "adhere to an ideal of a higher life, to strive for perfection"; to represent an elite "whose origins are completely egalitarian" and at the same time "chivalry" with its moral qualities; to create a truce "a four-yearly festival of the springtime of mankind"; and to glorify beauty by the "involvement of the philosophic arts in the Games".

These were the four quiding principles when the IOC was formed in the late 1800's. The idea of ameteur status for entrants falls in line with egalitarianism. This gives all nations and peoples an equal footing. Professionals entered do not provide any type of equality when viewed with a broad perspective. Those nations who are fortunate to have the "disposable income" will have a disproportionate advantage over those people who reside in a nation of lesser means.

the Pros have their world championships. There can be no comparison between the golds won by the teams prior to allowing pros into the games. They just dont seem to have the same shine. Give the games back to the youths. I would rather see the old days of players giving 110% than the games of today where it is less than that.
THANK YOU MIKE D! This is exactly what I mean. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Plus, If I can add just a little quick steer of the pot.

In one of those 4 year events, the pros were throwing stuff out of the windows at their hotel. Not really the type of Ambassadors I think we should have representing the nation and our core values. What kind of roll models are they anyways? Oh, I forgot, they not hear to be role models to our kids. It just that our kids watch them day in and day out. I could be off base on this one.

But yes, I can hear it now..."Every travel hockey team breaks a bed or two at some hotel in their travel career!"

Not when I'm the coach. This type of "Bull Sh**" doesn't happen when I'm in charge. Never happended, never will! And to have pro's acting like Peewee's, like they have never been away from home, away from Mommy and Daddy, is just *%#$^*) rediculous

I would have loved to be the fly on the wall when that coach got called into the USA Hockey office. I wonder if they just patted him on the back and said..."Good job old boy, maybe next time!"

Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:12 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Actually it did quite the opposite. The Olympics were the province of the congenitally rich who could afford to carry on the games as a hobby. The IOC just used some cherry picking by friendly classicists to justify the Olympics as not for pay and enabled people such as the IOC and AAU to exploit athletes.

Ask Jim Thrope and Jesse Owens about the wonders of amateurism.