HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which will stay their whole career? Crosby, Malkin or Staal

Old
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
KingPenguins8771

vCash: 500
Which will stay their whole career? Crosby, Malkin or Staal

In light of Vinny Lecavalier signing a 11 year contract extension, basically ensuring he ends his career in TB, I wonder who will end up staying with the Pens their whole career? I do believe it will be Crosby, but if Malkin ends up better overall, do they commit to him. Can both stay in Pittsburgh their whole careers? Does Staal stay here a long time being behind Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart. He probably can be a 1st line Center in 2 years on 20 of the NHL teams. Just food for thought..........discuss

KingPenguins8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:31 PM
PensFever71

My bet is Crosby... hands down. Although I'd like to see all 3 stay.
Malkin is definitely my favorite player to watch so I hope he stays.

PensFever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:32 PM
TFKforPres

My thoughts on who most likely stay here the longest...

1. Crosby
2. Malkin
3. Staal

Though I can see Malkin staying here for the majority of his career. IMO, I feel like the only way Malkin leaves if somehow, someway we start to suck which I can't see happening for a while.

TFKforPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
PensFever71

Crosby just seems like a class act like Lemieux. Loyalty over money. (Plus he makes enough on endorsements anyhow )

PensFever71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
necessaryroughness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFever71 View Post
Crosby just seems like a class act like Lemieux. Loyalty over money. (Plus he makes enough on endorsements anyhow )
I think Lemieux is a once in a lifetime type of loyal player. I do agree that Crosby is very loyal and I do feel that if we keep a competitive team around him competing for the cup he'll stay. I don't think anyone would have done what lemieux did by staying on a team that was going in and out of bankruptcy.

I think Malkin stays as well I don't think he'd wanna deal with the media attention that would come being a franchise player somewhere else. I liked the loyalty showed by him in signing that 5 year deal for the same amount as crosby's.

Staal will be gone fellows if he's gonna improve a 3rd line center would be a small role for him and if he doesn't improve his offensive game a 3rd line center like him could be an expensive luxury even if he can be a shutdown selke type forward.

necessaryroughness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:49 PM
AgentM

Crosby isn't just the face of the team but the face of the entire league. So if the Pens could only keep one of the three I think he's the one that they would hold onto.

I know that Gretzky got moved when he was in that position, but with the salary cap in place we won't lose Sid because we can't afford him.

Edit - In honor of my 666th post I'm adding in a pic of Satan

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:56 PM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
I could see Malkin staying until the twilight of his career much like Federov. Crosby should be here until the end, especially if Mario stays on board. Staal I could see going at any minute pretty much and not be too surprised.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 03:59 PM
SkullSplitter

Staal will be gone. Malkin and Crosby will both stay their whole career as long as the Pens don't have any ownership issues. Jagr would have stayed with the Pens his whole career if not for the ownership issues.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:40 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Crosby isn't just the face of the team but the face of the entire league. So if the Pens could only keep one of the three I think he's the one that they would hold onto.

I know that Gretzky got moved when he was in that position, but with the salary cap in place we won't lose Sid because we can't afford him.

Edit - In honor of my 666th post I'm adding in a pic of Satan

Gretzky was traded by Pocklington so he could line his own pockets and bail his own terrible financial situation out. I really don't see the Pens being in that sort of situation during Crosby's career (knock on wood.)

I'd say Crosby's going to stay. I hope Malkin stays, but I can see him leaving/getting traded. Staal, I believe will be traded sooner or later because of financial reasons.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Mr Wu

I'll go against the grain here and say that Crosby and Staal will be kept, while Malkin will be dealt. Though not for a long time.

Mr Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Since we are sports terrorists, we'll keep 'em for their entire LIVES!!!!!!! Hahahah!

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Levizk

I would've thought Jagr would stay his whole career too, so it's really impossible to tell. Crosby out of those three is the most obvious answer given his relationship with Lemieux and the priority he has from a marketing standpoint for the team. If I had to pick one player on the roster who's the most likely to stay though, it'd be Marc Andre Fleury. The Penguins have in the past mismanaged the guy and treated him like a yo-yo and yet he gave up money for term because he likes it here. Fleury may be the most loyal guy on the team currently.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:59 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wu View Post
I'll go against the grain here and say that Crosby and Staal will be kept, while Malkin will be dealt. Though not for a long time.
I tend to agree with you on this one. Staal will be a really good 2nd line center behind Crosby. Malkin will be the eventual trade bait that nets them a huge bounty when the time comes to look towards reloading. I'm not saying that it happens this year, but if the Pens win the cup in the next five years, I see Malkin as the logical one to trade before his contract is up.

craig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:41 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFever71 View Post
+1

I'm so amazed with how he represents himself to the league and all of it's fans. I definitely think he'll be the only one to stay for his entire career (which is highly uncommon nowadays). Mario kind of was a role model for Sid in his beginning years and the kid has just a terrific head on his shoulders. I'm happy our favorite sport has a role model for the kids to watch hopefully for the next 15 years. The reason I think he'll stay is because it's the best situation for him. He has a wonderful person to look up to in Mario and this city is a blue-collar hard working town that will live and die with this kid's career.

The only way I see Geno staying is if him and sid have a terrific relationship and he wants to stay for his entire career too. I'd only be shocked if Sid left though... I'm already satisfied w/ Geno for doing what he did for the team w/ his contract.

One thing is for certain.. we are blessed to have these kids on our team. It's great for our city and I don't think we could ask for anything more (except a few cups )

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 05:43 PM
trooper66

Got to keep crosby he is the talent, and a energy machine out there. one of the hardest workers in the game. Starting to play really good defence also. Would also like to keep staal.

trooper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Skk82

Crosby's here for the next five years, Malkin for the next six.....That's about all that's important right now.

If either wants to test UFA when the time comes they could surely get max offers from any number of markets. They've taken relative sacrifices to stay long-term, so unless something unforseen happens, you'd have to imagine both would be interested in staying in Pittsburgh.

Staal, I think, is a different story. He only scored 12 goals last season so he doesn't have too much leverage, despite the high regard he's held in. I could see him testing RFA and another team coming in with a pretty hefty ofer that maybe the Pens couldn't match.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

I'd wager Crosby. Not only because of his relationship with Lemieux or the discount on his extension, but because his favorite player growing up was Yzerman. I think he values the idea of a legacy created staying by with one club his whole career.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
SlyGuy

I think the days of one player staying with one team for their entire career are over. So many veterens come on the market at either the trade deadline or as UFAs at the twilight of thier career.

I think the better question is which player will stay for the MAJORITY of his career. And the answer to that, I believe, is Crosby.

SlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 06:57 PM
WpgPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I'd wager Crosby. Not only because of his relationship with Lemieux or the discount on his extension, but because his favorite player growing up was Yzerman. I think he values the idea of a legacy created staying by with one club his whole career.
Yeah, Crosby seems much like the career team type guy. Combine a great productive, award winning career with that type of legacy. He's had early success in accreditations and to game 6 in the cup final already. Win a Cup or two in the next few years and he'll surely stick around. If he was on a sad sack or even middle of the road team that never really get anywhere I could see him wanting a shot at the cup, but he has that contender in Pittsburgh and for a long time to come. Add the mentoring of Mario and I think it is safe to say he will be Pittsburgh for good long while.

Malkin is a toss up, he seems similar in his integrity to Crosby. But he may want to or even need to be the #1 guy at some point in his career. Again, early success and awards have come and will continue to come. I believe a big desire of Malkin's is to be valued beyond that of a highly skilled player, and he will receive that in an atmosphere like Pittsburgh and in North America. Not just be seen as a commodity/property of a team. Make him feel welcome and safe and he will reciprocate.

Staal is interesting, he could very well be a career Pen, his abilities will be desired for a good long while. The next couple years, when he finally establishes his place in the organization, will be telling.

WpgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgPens View Post
Yeah, Crosby seems much like the career team type guy. Combine a great productive, award winning career with that type of legacy. He's had early success in accreditations and to game 6 in the cup final already. Win a Cup or two in the next few years and he'll surely stick around. If he was on a sad sack or even middle of the road team that never really get anywhere I could see him wanting a shot at the cup, but he has that contender in Pittsburgh and for a long time to come. Add the mentoring of Mario and I think it is safe to say he will be Pittsburgh for good long while.

Malkin is a toss up, he seems similar in his integrity to Crosby. But he may want to or even need to be the #1 guy at some point in his career. Again, early success and awards have come and will continue to come. I believe a big desire of Malkin's is to be valued beyond that of a highly skilled player, and he will receive that in an atmosphere like Pittsburgh and in North America. Not just be seen as a commodity/property of a team. Make him feel welcome and safe and he will reciprocate.

Staal is interesting, he could very well be a career Pen, his abilities will be desired for a good long while. The next couple years, when he finally establishes his place in the organization, will be telling.
I tend to agree on Malkin, but it's difficult to glean someone's intentions or character when they don't have a decent command of the English language. That said, his Crosby-mirror extension spoke in a language everyone can hear - "I want to win, and I want to win with this team".

Staal's probably cut from a similar cloth as these two, but he was put in a different position too. Crosby and Malkin are virtually guaranteed to play in their natural positions, in a scoring role, for the duration of their contracts. Staal is virtually guaranteed that neither option will be available for him.

Though Staal hasn't earned the right to play as a scoring center yet, if he stays with the Pens, he's essentially sealing his fate as a checking center unless he gets thrown back on wing. Would Sid or Geno take a role as a 3rd line center or a move to the wing and still commit to a long-term deal? I doubt it.

Old
07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I tend to agree on Malkin, but it's difficult to glean someone's intentions or character when they don't have a decent command of the English language. That said, his Crosby-mirror extension spoke in a language everyone can hear - "I want to win, and I want to win with this team".

Staal's probably cut from a similar cloth as these two, but he was put in a different position too. Crosby and Malkin are virtually guaranteed to play in their natural positions, in a scoring role, for the duration of their contracts. Staal is virtually guaranteed that neither option will be available for him.

Though Staal hasn't earned the right to play as a scoring center yet, if he stays with the Pens, he's essentially sealing his fate as a checking center unless he gets thrown back on wing. Would Sid or Geno take a role as a 3rd line center or a move to the wing and still commit to a long-term deal? I doubt it.
Malkin and Crosby are generational talents, Staal is just a very good player, not a similar situation.

NeedleInTheHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
vcx*

I don't think any of the 3 have the heart that Alfredsson has. Daniel has taken pay cuts upon pay cuts to stay in ottawa to keep the team strong and competitive. You can tell he would never want to play on any other NHL team and where his dedication lies. While i hate the Senators, i really admire and respect Daniel Alfredsson for that.

Do i think Sid or Geno will be like that? No, Staal and the reports so far? No. It's a shame, but lets just enjoy the years we have these money grubbing superstars we love so much and be happy with it. When they leave, they leave. Yeah i am a fan of all 3 but really...its just a huge difference between guys that want the team to be competitive and then guys that think a pay cut is a mill less and aren't even old enough to grow proper beards.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedleInTheHay View Post
Malkin and Crosby are generational talents, Staal is just a very good player, not a similar situation.
Are you supposed to be correcting me? Because I don't see where I said that.

Old
07-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Crosby stays for his whole career.

Malkin probably stays too, except maybe his last year or so.

Staal could be gone after this next contract expires, or sooner.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I don't think any of the 3 have the heart that Alfredsson has. Daniel has taken pay cuts upon pay cuts to stay in ottawa to keep the team strong and competitive. You can tell he would never want to play on any other NHL team and where his dedication lies. While i hate the Senators, i really admire and respect Daniel Alfredsson for that.

Do i think Sid or Geno will be like that? No,
Staal and the reports so far? No. It's a shame, but lets just enjoy the years we have these money grubbing superstars we love so much and be happy with it. When they leave, they leave. Yeah i am a fan of all 3 but really...its just a huge difference between guys that want the team to be competitive and then guys that think a pay cut is a mill less and aren't even old enough to grow proper beards.
This is really a poorly thought-out comparison. The contracts were signed under different market conditions, and Crosby and Malkin were much better and much younger when they put their names to paper.