HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT - HF Fantasy Football

Old
08-09-2008, 06:48 PM
BleedOil83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
I might miss the draft due to Banff being 1 hour from me tomorrow but I'll take whatever the computer picks for me.
Pre-rank your players, or you may end up with a messed up roster. With such a big league you need to make sure you get yourself two semi-capable (ideally starting) QB's, I'm not sure how Yahoo's auto draft works but with others you can end up with 12 RB's and no other roster players if that's how it falls.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Cerebral

I'm generally really good at fantasy sports but the NFL is one league where my knowledge is somewhat limited. I know most of the players but I definitely don't have a clue in regards to drafting strategy. Oh well, it should be fun!

08-09-2008, 07:20 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Pre-rank your players, or you may end up with a messed up roster. With such a big league you need to make sure you get yourself two semi-capable (ideally starting) QB's, I'm not sure how Yahoo's auto draft works but with others you can end up with 12 RB's and no other roster players if that's how it falls.
It won't be so bad with 16 teams, 3 rounds and all the starting RB's will be gone.

I usually draft by position anyway and I was going to do best player available for this league for a change up. And I haven't done much research this year yet.

edit: and I am hoping for a late draft spot, 10-12 is perfect.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'm generally really good at fantasy sports but the NFL is one league where my knowledge is somewhat limited. I know most of the players but I definitely don't have a clue in regards to drafting strategy. Oh well, it should be fun!
Join the club! I am following a creative drafting strategy into the draft though, so hopefully it works out. Mind you, I try to do that in baseball, and then all goes to hell after the first round. In the baseball draft I did this year, I ended up with nine starters out of the draft. But in the end, that turned into a really effective strategy to keep in mind for the future.

The one thing I really don't know is when to take a team for defense. I know what team I want, but I don't know how long they'll be around. Plus, with 16 teams, I guess I will be selecting players I've never heard of before, so that'll be tough. But yes, it will be fun.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Join the club! I am following a creative drafting strategy into the draft though, so hopefully it works out. Mind you, I try to do that in baseball, and then all goes to hell after the first round. In the baseball draft I did this year, I ended up with nine starters out of the draft. But in the end, that turned into a really effective strategy to keep in mind for the future.

The one thing I really don't know is when to take a team for defense. I know what team I want, but I don't know how long they'll be around. Plus, with 16 teams, I guess I will be selecting players I've never heard of before, so that'll be tough. But yes, it will be fun.
Bleh, I picked Carlos Quentin in all three of my baseball drafts and then dropped him after a few weeks as he had a slow start. Fast forward a few months and he's leading the bloody league in HRs.

does anyone have any general drafting tips to pass along? Just based on checking out the numbers, it seems as though grabbing two running backs early could be important.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:30 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Bleh, I picked Carlos Quentin in all three of my baseball drafts and then dropped him after a few weeks as he had a slow start. Fast forward a few months and he's leading the bloody league in HRs.

does anyone have any general drafting tips to pass along? Just based on checking out the numbers, it seems as though grabbing two running backs early could be important.
PM'd you

Old
08-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:

I had Quentin too, for about a week. Dropped him because he was cold for that week. However I did trade for Doumit and Crawford early, giving up Victor Martinez, so I think my moves have evened out over the course of the season. (I picked Ortiz first, but also picked up Volquez etc.)

Personally, in a ten team draft, I feel that running backs are overrated. So many of them should be good for 120 - 160 points, whereas QBs score more and the top scorers are more scarce. With 16 picks per round, I can see how grabbing RBs early is important though.

Old
08-09-2008, 07:51 PM
nvan97

Quote:

I think the myth of the RB being the most important player is slowly being dispelled. QBs are routinely the highest scoring group in a season and I'm sure this year will be no different. Don't be stuck on picking an RB for your first pick like most people insist you should. I recently did a draft and I pick Brady 3rd overall. I've only been doing NFL fantasy for two seasons but I've won over half of the pools I've entered on ESPN.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Aequitas

Aww full already. Damn my not checking the forums for 2 days

Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
I think the myth of the RB being the most important player is slowly being dispelled. QBs are routinely the highest scoring group in a season and I'm sure this year will be no different. Don't be stuck on picking an RB for your first pick like most people insist you should. I recently did a draft and I pick Brady 3rd overall. I've only been doing NFL fantasy for two seasons but I've won over half of the pools I've entered on ESPN.
Even a few WR are now out-producing RB, and they figure in about the same range between the elite and the bottom of the barrel.

Old
08-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
Aww full already. Damn my not checking the forums for 2 days
It sounds like there's going to be a few more popping up, so keep an eye on this thread.

Cheers

Old
08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Out of curiousity. What would you guys prefer for a yahoo fantasy hockey league. Point scoring or Head to Head scoring?

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:

does anyone have any general drafting tips to pass along?
Never have anything to do with the Jets, unless you absolutley have to.

Jets = fail

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:10 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Out of curiousity. What would you guys prefer for a yahoo fantasy hockey league. Point scoring or Head to Head scoring?
I actually prefer NHL.com for hockey pools. It's done by weekly lineup changes rather than every day like yahoo which I don't have the time or patience for so I end up losing badly after about a month. But apparently ESPN is making their hockey pools free this year so I might wait to check that out.
Anyways, head to head is what I prefer because it means that someone is much less likely to gain an insurmountable lead.

Old
08-10-2008, 01:11 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Never have anything to do with the Jets, unless you absolutley have to.

Jets = fail
I think if Thomas Jones is still available in the 12-14 spot you have to take him. With an improved passing game he shoudl be having a great season.

Old
08-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
I actually prefer NHL.com for hockey pools. It's done by weekly lineup changes rather than every day like yahoo which I don't have the time or patience for so I end up losing badly after about a month. But apparently ESPN is making their hockey pools free this year so I might wait to check that out.
Anyways, head to head is what I prefer because it means that someone is much less likely to gain an insurmountable lead.
You can do weekly even in yahoo....

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Yes. 2 backs in the first 2 rounds along with a top wideout in the 3rd will work wonders. There's always a really underrated QB who will be lying around in the 4th.

Oh, and don't take a defense too early. I think someone took the Ravens in the 5th-6th round last year.

And I bet you guys are still mocking me for taking the Chargers' D. Too bad they were the best fantasy defense last year like I said.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
You can do weekly even in yahoo....
I didn't know that but that's good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Yes. 2 backs in the first 2 rounds along with a top wideout in the 3rd will work wonders. There's always a really underrated QB who will be lying around in the 4th.

Oh, and don't take a defense too early. I think someone took the Ravens in the 5th-6th round last year.

And I bet you guys are still mocking me for taking the Chargers' D. Too bad they were the best fantasy defense last year like I said.
If Tom Brady is available at 3 you should take him. The guy dominated the fantasy leagues last year.
Take the best player available round one, the next best available in round 2 that isn't the same position as round one, and make sure by round 4 you have at least 1QB, and 1 or 2 RBs or WRs.
Oh and don't pick a K until the last or second last round. There's always a couple of surprises in that area around the 3rd week of the season that you should be able to pick off waivers if yours isn't working out.

Old
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
I didn't know that but that's good to hear.

If Tom Brady is available at 3 you should take him. The guy dominated the fantasy leagues last year.
Take the best player available round one, the next best available in round 2 that isn't the same position as round one, and make sure by round 4 you have at least 1QB, and 1 or 2 RBs or WRs.
Oh and don't pick a K until the last or second last round. There's always a couple of surprises in that area around the 3rd week of the season that you should be able to pick off waivers if yours isn't working out.
Funny. The guy I beat in the semis had Brady.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:37 PM
BleedOil83

Less than an hour to game time folks.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:47 PM
VelvetJones

im here

Old
08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
I'm here. I mean, there.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Sweet I got the 4th overall. Who does everyone think I should get? Top-rated QB or Top-rated RB? I'll take any help I can get..

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Cerebral

Bleh, I can't get into the draft in either Firefox or Internet Explorer! I'll try a restart.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Cerebral

****, does anyone have any tips as to how to get into this stupid draft? I've never had a problem with Yahoo before.