HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Firefighter's demotion over Habs logo approved

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2008, 02:15 AM
  #51
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryulink View Post
So they deserve it... If when i was working at IGA me and some workers would have painted habs logo in the break room with WATER PAINT! I would have lost my assistant manager rank and probably the money who comes with it or would have got fired.

Go paint with water paint the place where you work and see how your boss act.

I could also paint it in my Cegep like its not a vandalism. Because Montreal is HOCKEY!
Im not saying he didnt or did deserve some punishment .How about a small fine like a few hundred that would be DONATED to the HABS foundation?why kick the man in the face $12,000 a year?

I mean there is better ways to handle this situation to have everyone come out the winner.

Why not say ok boys you want that Habs logo to remain on the building? its going to cost you 20 dollars a day to keep it there AND any money raised goes to the HABS foundation .Why not try this next year? all depts that want to sport Montreal Canadiens logos they can only be a "certain size" and will cost 20 bucks a day or maximum 500 dollars which will be dontated to the Habs foundation.

I sure the boys in the dept would have gladly tossed in the 20 bucks a day and some money could have went to a good cause and it would have been a way to "defuse" a situation and have a happy ending.Instead everyone loooks like fools in this one .


Im saying his punishment was probably more severe then some of the punks that torched police cars, destroying city blocks costing hundreds of thousands if not millions in damages.

Fire Fighter , habs logo using water paint
$12,000 a year taken away in salary x 5 years = 60,000 dollars.


Punk tourching police cars causing millions in damages? I BET not 1 cent has to payed back by the "punks"


Last edited by Artyukhin*: 08-09-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:36 AM
  #52
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
so this explains the "RIP Captain Vincent" tombstone I saw in front of the local firefighters' place. I was wondering if Damphousse died or something.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:49 AM
  #53
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Im not saying he didnt or did deserve some punishment .How about a small fine like a few hundred that would be DONATED to the HABS foundation?why kick the man in the face $12,000 a year?

I mean there is better ways to handle this situation to have everyone come out the winner.

Why not say ok boys you want that Habs logo to remain on the building? its going to cost you 20 dollars a day to keep it there AND any money raised goes to the HABS foundation .Why not try this next year? all depts that want to sport Montreal Canadiens logos they can only be a "certain size" and will cost 20 bucks a day or maximum 500 dollars which will be dontated to the Habs foundation.

I sure the boys in the dept would have gladly tossed in the 20 bucks a day and some money could have went to a good cause and it would have been a way to "defuse" a situation and have a happy ending.Instead everyone loooks like fools in this one .


Im saying his punishment was probably more severe then some of the punks that torched police cars, destroying city blocks costing hundreds of thousands if not millions in damages.

Fire Fighter , habs logo using water paint
$12,000 a year taken away in salary x 5 years = 60,000 dollars.


Punk tourching police cars causing millions in damages? I BET not 1 cent has to payed back by the "punks"

Torching and this incident have nothing in common.

This is a workplace issue, plain and simple. If you take away the firefighter angle and the Habs angle how does it look? If a Royal Bank employee paints supportive political messages on the side of a branch what's the public view about reprimand?

And don't for a minute think that this guy was demoted over some water paint. Privacy laws give this guy the benefit of being able to release the information he wants us to see, but my experience has been that a person doesn't get transferred, fired, or demoted unless there has been significant progressive discipline for previous incidents, or extreme insubordination.

We all give up some freedom of expression in our workplaces. It's life. People also need to realize that the materials and equipment they use in the workplace belong to the employer and aren't there to be used as any employee sees fit to use it.

I support our troops, I don't support public employees willy nilly expression of support for them using decals on public vehicles. I support the Habs, but the same rule applies. The cause has little to do with whether it's suitable to write about it using public materials on public equipment or buildings on public time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I don't understand how you can fine someone 12K and give him 2 ranks demotion for this offense.

People who are in support of this should present their case for 500$ parking tickets, for two years in jail for stealing a bread.
We have a lower crime rate in Canada despite being more lenient.
The guys who decided this belong to a priviledge class of white collar that would get away with fraud with a small fine.

I don't know if his pension will be affected but the punishment is in no way related to the offense.
A one or two week suspension would have more than enough.
Would have been an example strong enough.

If this is the context of labour relation, then one of the party is gearing up for a strike. A slap in the face is certainly not the way to negociate.
I certainly hope the Union will bring this to court all the way.
I have seen Union sleep with the "enemy" but in this case, if they bend, they might as well disband.

This harsh punishment and the tough attitude is a pretty good example of our public officials spending our money on frivolous things.
How much did they spent on extra lawyers in this matter?
I have knowledge of some Public service organisation that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting against one of their own employees when they were wrong all the way.
Can anyone agree that our tax money is sometimes spent with complete disergard for the citizen.
This is one of those examples where the Ego of executives is throwing away our money.

Someone in city hall needs to be fired. What is most insulting is that the high ranking executives with power written on their forehead have often negociated golden parachute for them but treat their employees like ****.

In this case, a little bit of humility and common sense would go a long way.
I don't understand why the mayor did not intervene to close this.
Shame on you mister Tremblay.
employers rely on the strength of a chain of command within a hierarchy, I suspect it's especially important in firefighting where lives are at stake. Allowing people to do whatever they want undermines that.

Company materials, company time, actions contrary to the wishes of his superiors, this guy was lucky he was demoted and not dismissed.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 08-09-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:41 PM
  #54
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Im not saying he didnt or did deserve some punishment .How about a small fine like a few hundred that would be DONATED to the HABS foundation?why kick the man in the face $12,000 a year?

I mean there is better ways to handle this situation to have everyone come out the winner.

Why not say ok boys you want that Habs logo to remain on the building? its going to cost you 20 dollars a day to keep it there AND any money raised goes to the HABS foundation .Why not try this next year? all depts that want to sport Montreal Canadiens logos they can only be a "certain size" and will cost 20 bucks a day or maximum 500 dollars which will be dontated to the Habs foundation.

I sure the boys in the dept would have gladly tossed in the 20 bucks a day and some money could have went to a good cause and it would have been a way to "defuse" a situation and have a happy ending.Instead everyone loooks like fools in this one .


Im saying his punishment was probably more severe then some of the punks that torched police cars, destroying city blocks costing hundreds of thousands if not millions in damages.

Fire Fighter , habs logo using water paint
$12,000 a year taken away in salary x 5 years = 60,000 dollars.



Punk tourching police cars causing millions in damages? I BET not 1 cent has to payed back by the "punks"
Seems to forget that by the time it's over (Union fighting this), not much of that 12K will have been paid. The guy is retired or about to retire...

So, how much will it cost him in REALITY, 100$, 500$, 1000$ maybe ?




Big bad boss taking away 12K$/year salary from a guy that will work a few months (at most) till he retires, big deal...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:19 PM
  #55
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 500
I heard that the firefighters union was using the Habs logo as a negociating tactic to put pressure on the city for additional salary.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:31 PM
  #56
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
I heard that the firefighters union was using the Habs logo as a negociating tactic to put pressure on the city for additional salary.
And management are wearing jockstraps. I also heard that Georges Laraque is gonna be at the table.

tinyzombies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:50 AM
  #57
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
Police can't afford to replace trashed cruisers
15 were destroyed by vandals, 5 others badly damaged
JASON MAGDER, The Gazette


http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...d-b2a6a9d2dcb8

A total of 20 cars were damaged in two incidents. Of those vehicles, 15 were declared complete losses with a total value estimated at $420,355, a memo to Montreal's executive committee said this week.

The people who are charged with the crime are not obliged to pay back the price of the vehicles," Chablo said. "We can't afford to replace the cars; otherwise, taxes will go up."

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:14 PM
  #58
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post

The people who are charged with the crime are not obliged to pay back the price of the vehicles," Chablo said. "We can't afford to replace the cars; otherwise, taxes will go up."
Yup... thanks a lot, ****in *******s.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
  #59
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Police can't afford to replace trashed cruisers
15 were destroyed by vandals, 5 others badly damaged
JASON MAGDER, The Gazette


http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...d-b2a6a9d2dcb8

A total of 20 cars were damaged in two incidents. Of those vehicles, 15 were declared complete losses with a total value estimated at $420,355, a memo to Montreal's executive committee said this week.

The people who are charged with the crime are not obliged to pay back the price of the vehicles," Chablo said. "We can't afford to replace the cars; otherwise, taxes will go up."
I am not sure why you are equating a demotion and the financial consequences of such with "payback" or restitution for damaged property. It's fairly evident that they are not the same.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.