HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pittsburgh-Anaheim

Old
08-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Hussar
Talented.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik313 View Post
Getzlaf + Perry + Ryan for Malkin

Would Pittsburgh fans do it?
LOL Getzlaf's a franchise player, I wouldnt do that deal for him alone.

Hussar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:

i don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but that severely drops the ducks offensively.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusyn View Post
LOL Getzlaf's a franchise player, I wouldnt do that deal for him alone.
you're making it sound like Malkin is a marginal 2nd liner........

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:03 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Their top six was deadly, but it took quite a bit of hits in the off-season thus far. What would happen to it without Malkin?
I watch predominately west coast games, where the games are offensively tight, the scoring is based on team-oriented offensive systems and there are not many easy goals to be had. Defense should be a priority in the East because of how much it lacks in that area. Almost every team in the west has a top-tied defenseman within their ranks, and I'm willing to put a lot down in saying that Pittsburgh should invest more in D because it wins championships, considering the makeup of the last 2 champions.

If Pittsburgh was a good TEAM like they proclaim, then a loss in Malkin with a return in Pronger wouldn't be detrimental to their success at all. It would propel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
Pittsburgh definitely says NO.

Back to the OP, would Edmonton consider this?

To Ana: Gagner

To Edm: Pronger
If we had the pieces Pittsburgh has, I'd say yes in a heartbeat. I hate the Ducks as much as anyone, but Pronger is a competitor and one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
1) Because the Pens have recently signed Malkin to a 5 year extension at below market value, 2) they're already set with a defense that allowed the 2nd lowest GA for the playoffs last year, and 3) it would be incredibly stupid to deal a 21 year old Hart candidate who just got off a Finals appearance after putting up over a PPG through the playoffs (despite being injured for half the post-season) for a 34 year old defenseman.

That's why.
To tell you the truth, this proposal has been in the back of my mind since before the extension. I understand how this could change things in terms of value, however, the thing to ask is would you want 1 cup from 2 years of Pronger or 0 cups with Malkin?

It's a stretch to say that they will 100% win a cup, but I believe it puts them in a hell of a better position to win a cup with Pronger than with Malkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Are you sleep deprived?

Pronger will now be behind Phaneuf till he retires,everyone on the planet knows this except some Oilers fans. I'm amazed at the lack of love Phaneuf gets from you guys, Phaneuf's first 3 years makes your former short lived superstar Pronger's first 3 look like a joke.
Don't give me this tired argument on how good Phaneuf is. We know how good he is, we played him 8 times a year for 3 years. Phaneuf is nothing compared to Pronger. If he was better than Pronger he would have taken you past the first round the last whatever years.

And if you think Pronger's first year with us, taking us to the stanley cup final, was beneath Phaneuf's accomplishments, then you seriously need to check your facts. Pronger had more playoff games in that year than Phaneuf has in his entire career.

Last edited by smackdaddy: 08-08-2008 at 12:10 AM.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Nei1ey*

Quote:

haha i would say yes to this in a heartbeat and you wouldnt even need to put ryan in the deal for me to say yes.

Nei1ey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:

Sure, but there's this little thing called the salary cup that likely would prevent this from happening. We'd have to clear a lot of salary and use lesser players on our bottom two lines.

In that case, I'd much, much rather keep Malkin.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Hockeygod66

The penguins were two wins away from the cup with an ailing malkin. Malkin hasn't reached his potentinal yet. Pronger has passsed his. Not only on hfboards do people value youth. They do it a lot in real life to considering players past 35 in any sport dont realy mainitan their peak level of play.

Hockeygod66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Don't give me this tired argument on how good Phaneuf is. We know how good he is, we played him 8 times a year for 3 years. Phaneuf is nothing compared to Pronger. If he was better than Pronger he would have taken you past the first round the last whatever years.

And if you think Pronger's first year with us, taking us to the stanley cup final, was beneath Phaneuf's accomplishments, then you seriously need to check your facts. Pronger had more playoff games in that year than Phaneuf has in his entire career.
Miss the point much? Like it or not Phaneuf finished second in Norris voting after just 3 seasons, he out hits Pronger 3-1, he scored 90 more points in his first 3 years than Pronger did, he has much better scoring sense and shot and he's getting very good at "defending" after just 3 seasons and history shows for defenseman he should only get even better. Your the one who stated "Phaneuf isn't even in the same league skill-wise as Pronger" and that statement is just as wrong and ridiculous as your trade proposal.

You should be glad your little smurfs up north only have to play him 6 times a year now

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 12:58 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

If Malkin didn't sign that extension I would say that trade would work. But the Pens have absolutely no reason to trade Malkin before the last season of his contract. He'll need to be traded at that point though.

But a lot of you are underrating Pronger. He's a guy that puts your team over the top. He'd put the Pens over the top for sure. Big deal if the Pens have too many d-men, if you get Pronger you move those excess players in a heartbeat. Pronger makes your team better, period. He may be 34 but he's not slowing down. I imagine he'll still be at the top of his game for several more years.

But no, this trade would never happen. Not with Malkin's contract.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
If Pittsburgh was a good TEAM like they proclaim, then a loss in Malkin with a return in Pronger wouldn't be detrimental to their success at all. It would propel it.
No, they're already a good team with Malkin. Last year they were 1st in their division and 2nd in the conference without Hossa, not to mention Crosby, Fleury, Eaton, and Roberts for large chunks of the season.

Every single reasonable Pittsburgh fan would bet on this team's core rather than make some ridiculous short-sighted knee-jerk lopsided deal like Malkin for Pronger. Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Talbot, Whitney, Orpik, Letang, and Fleury are all on the developmental upswing and will be a year older, a year better, and now possess Cup Finals experience.

Quote:
To tell you the truth, this proposal has been in the back of my mind since before the extension. I understand how this could change things in terms of value, however, the thing to ask is would you want 1 cup from 2 years of Pronger or 0 cups with Malkin?
How many Cups did Pronger win last year? Oh, that's right, none.

The Pens made it to the Cup Finals with Malkin, and the Ducks got their ***** beat in the 1st round with the mighty Pronger.

Quote:
It's a stretch to say that they will 100% win a cup, but I believe it puts them in a hell of a better position to win a cup with Pronger than with Malkin.
You're in the minority. As much as Pens fans hope Staal could be a scoring presence next year, he hasn't yet shown the ability to make his linemates better as a scoring center should. Substitute Malkin for Pronger, and you have a one-line offense with a very good defense and goalie - which would basically make Pittsburgh the Anaheim of next year.

No thanks. We'll keep our center depth.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:26 AM
nbducksfan19

I am shocked by the general lack of hockey knowledge if anyone thinks that Pronger for malkin would not be a reasonable if not down right good deal for the Pens.

p.s. the ducks getting their "a** beat" is a bit of an exaggeration, they lost in a six gamer series against and were lost the lead in the third period, had they held on they would have been home for a game 7 and it may have been a totally different situation.

Last edited by nbducksfan19: 08-08-2008 at 01:40 AM.
nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:31 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbducksfan19 View Post
I am shocked by the general lack of hockey knowledge if anyone thinks that Pronger for malkin would not be a reasonable if not down right good deal for the Pens.
Are all 43 of your posts this funny?

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:38 AM
MOENing

Quote:
Getzlaf + Perry + Ryan for Malkin + Crosby + Staal

Done Deal

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I'm kinda shocked that you think it would be a "reasonable" if not "good" deal for the Pens to move out a 22 yr old franchise center for a 34 yr old franchise defenseman. The age difference, along with Malkin's still rising game make this a terrible deal for Pittsburgh.

In what universe do you really believe this would happen and be "reasonable" or "good"?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
What part of this confuses you?

Quote:
p.s. the ducks getting their "ass beat" is a bit of an exaggeration, they lost in a six gamer series against and were lost the lead in the third period, had they held on they would have been home for a game 7 and it may have been a totally different situation.
Yeah, same with my Pens vs. Detroit. But we still got our ***** beat.

Old
08-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
I'm kinda shocked that you think it would be a "reasonable" if not "good" deal for the Pens to move out a 22 yr old franchise center for a 34 yr old franchise defenseman. The age difference, along with Malkin's still rising game make this a terrible deal for Pittsburgh.

In what universe do you really believe this would happen and be "reasonable" or "good"?
Never mind their respective contract situations. Pronger for 2 more years, or Malkin for 6? Hmmmm, toughie.

Old
08-08-2008, 01:46 AM
nbducksfan19

one of the best d-men of the decade, for a very good center seems fair to me. It is not too often you are able to get a d-men like pronger. plus the fact that he is 34 is not a problem as he has at least 5 more good years and malkin's contract is for what the next 5 or so. but if you are assuming that pitt couldn't extend pronger, then it would not make sense.

Old
08-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
one of the best d-men of the decade, for a very good center seems fair to me. It is not too often you are able to get a d-men like pronger. plus the fact that he is 34 is not a problem as he has at least 5 more good years and malkin's contract is for what the next 5 or so
This isnt NHL 08 buddy.

Old
08-08-2008, 01:48 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post

Who cares about the age difference. Pronger would almost guarantee them a cup and isn't that what matters? Malkin on the second line alone should give you a good idea on why Pronger on the blue line would be a better situation. They already have Crosby. I don't see the need for Malkin as much as they would benefit from Pronger.

Yeah, keep thinking 2-3 years down the road. That is not what makes a franchise good consistently down the road. Look at Detroit with Lidstrom. Pronger would bring the Pens what lost them last year: Defensive all-star.

I think this deal would work for both teams.
I've yet to hear what Anaheim fans think of this deal and where that would put them.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:50 AM
nbducksfan19

as a ducks fan i don't want out second line center making 9 mil a year

Old
08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Who cares about the age difference. Pronger would almost guarantee them a cup and isn't that what matters? Malkin on the second line alone should give you a good idea on why Pronger on the blue line would be a better situation. They already have Crosby. I don't see the need for Malkin as much as they would benefit from Pronger.

Yeah, keep thinking 2-3 years down the road. That is not what makes a franchise good consistently down the road. Look at Detroit with Lidstrom. Pronger would bring the Pens what lost them last year: Defensive all-star.

I think this deal would work for both teams.
I've yet to hear what Anaheim fans think of this deal and where that would put them.
"Who cares about the age difference?" everyone that has a clue tbh. How many MVP awards is Pronger going to contend for the rest of his career? zero. Do you think the Pens would do this deal if it was Crosby for Pronger? no ****ing way and if you expect to trade for Malkin then expect to give up what it would take to get us to move Crosby because anything else will be promptly laughed at. Im not saying Malkin is as valuable as Crosby but to get Malkin you need to give more than what he is worth, that is the reality when your dealing for a guy who has had a 100 point season, been MVP finalist and proven he is one of the elite players in the league while being 21 years old and locked up long term at less than market value. If you want to make a proposal then think would this deal work for Ovechkin would it work with Crosby would it work with Phaneuf and if the answer is no then your trade proposal is fail.

Last edited by Morozov: 08-08-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old
08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Passchendaele

Of course, Pittsburgh will trade a 22 year old superstar for a dman on the decline.. right..

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
one of the best d-men of the decade, who is now 34 yrs old, for an elite center, who is just 22 yrs old, really doesn't seem fair. It is not too often you are able to get a d-men like pronger, although the fact that he is 34 is a BIG problem, as he may only be able to play at an elite lever for 2 more years.
Fixed it for you...

Old
08-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
one of the best d-men of the decade, for a very good center seems fair to me.
Malkin is absolutely one of the best forwards in the league, already, at 21. His age means he'll most likely get even better.

Pronger's one of the league's best d-men, but he's 34, and so on the wrong side of the hill. He's hit and very likely passed his peak, and he's only signed for 2 more years as opposed to Malkin's 6. There are no guarantees that Pronger would re-sign when his contract's over.

Quote:
It is not too often you are able to get a d-men like pronger. plus the fact that he is 34 is not a problem as he has at least 5 more good years and malkin's contract is for what the next 5 or so. but if you are assuming that pitt couldn't extend pronger, then it would not make sense.
So was that determined by tarot cards, crystal ball, or reading animal entrails?

Old
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Who cares about the age difference?
I stopped reading right there.