HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh-Anaheim

Old
08-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Whakahere

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Whakahere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
And I stand by that, they wouldn't have beaten San Jose, Detroit or Dallas in the first round.
of course you can say that because history shows that San Jose, Detroit and Dallas have done such a great job of getting out of the first round themself.

Whakahere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 06:28 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
lets make it staal for pronger and pit would still say no !

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 06:30 AM
ahtikullervo

Pronger + Getzlaf for Malkin + Staal?

ahtikullervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtikullervo View Post
The only deal that will be happening with Malkin anytime soon is with the Pens for a little under 9 million end of story. You people had your fun making endless Malkin proposals while you were busy telling us he would be heading off to Russia or ask for too much money or whatever and he didnt because he wants to be a Pen and there is no way in hell the Pens will be dealing him anytime soon. Get over it.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Corban

Heh, what a fun read that was....

We went from Malkin = no cup (guaranteed) and the mighty Pronger = guaranteed cup, all to way to the West is so cool and awesome when compared to the weak little brother known as the Eastern Conference.

What a horrible proposal this is, and even if we did take the time machine back in time to 3 months ago...well this still would be a joke of a proposal.

Plain and simple, Malkin is not being traded anytime soon. There is no reason to get rid of a player of his talent at this point in time, if you think otherwise you are wrong.

Corban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Pronger to PIT for Malkin would never happen.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Pronger to PIT for Malkin would never happen.
because Pronger is an "elite" defenseman and Malkin is just a "very good" center?

Old
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
infinitesadd

Quote:
the ducks were still the 4th best team in the league...tied with Pittsburgh..despite all the BS they had to put up with all season. Pitt wouldn't have gotten out of the first round in the west either unless they were a 1/2/3 seed.
Pittsburgh beats every team in the west easily except Dallas, Detroit, San Jose. Those three would beat them in 7 games I think (and even then the sharks might lose). yes, even your Ducks would most likely get handled.

As for the trade, I do agree that in the short term it makes some sense, but long term, I wouldn't want to not have Malkin AND Pronger once pronger retires.

infinitesadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

wow... just.... wow

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
because Pronger is an "elite" defenseman and Malkin is just a "very good" center?
No because Pronger is 33, turning 34 in October and Malkin is 22. Malkin also has not even reached his prime even though he got 100 points last season. Malkin still has over 10-15 years of amazing hockey ahead of him. In 2 or 3 years Pronger is all but done, or he at least won't be as good.

Old
08-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Gooch

I still don't get the whole west is better mentality that some possess. Do you honestly believe that your beloved conference is head over heels better than an entire conference when you compete for the same pool of talent?

As for this proposed trade, I have seen much worse but the glaring problem is the age difference. Had this been for a Pronger 6 years ago on a similar contract to Malkin then yes I would be up for it, but as it stands now it's way too shortsighted and at best a sidegrade.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
No because Pronger is 33, turning 34 in October and Malkin is 22. Malkin also has not even reached his prime even though he got 100 points last season. Malkin still has over 10-15 years of amazing hockey ahead of him. In 2 or 3 years Pronger is all but done, or he at least won't be as good.
Missed the sarcasm emote there did ya?

Old
08-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
how does that translate into Pitt beating a west power in a best of 7?
How does Pittburgh's superior record against the West indicate so patently to you that they would lose a 7 game series against these teams, especially since they took the Wings as far as any Western team, including Dallas, and this with their #2 scorer playing injured?

Quote:
They didn't play a team with a real number 1 defensemen until the finals and look what happened.
They didn't play the best team in the league until the Finals, and look what happened.

Quote:
I just can't see a team with that blueline taking the west, it's just different styles.
Oh my God, somebody strip Tampa Bay and Carolina of their Cups. Nobody told them that you could win championships without stacking your defense.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
pittiful89

Anaheim fans are as deluded and silly as their GM. Malkin=at least 4-5 more years of being an elite player in Pittsburgh. After those 4 or 5 years, he will either be extended, or if he is "tired of playing second fiddle to Crosby" he will be traded for a much better return than a 34 year old defenseman.

The worst part is that now the OP has an enormous chip on his shoulder, thinking Pens fans are huge homers for rejecting this joke of a trade.

pittiful89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
I think it all depends on what Pittsburgh is aiming for. Trading Pronger for Malkin makes Pittsburgh a better team immediately, but in the long run, Malkin will continue to improve and after a couple years that trade could look bad. Looking at it from a short term (1 year) point of view, Pronger would probably help Pittsburgh have a better chance at winning. But in the long run it's obviously a bad deal for Pittsburgh.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:25 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtikullervo View Post
I'd say more along the lines of Pronger + Getzlaf for Malkin, Sydor, and a 3rd. But I don't think that'd ever happen. I love Getzlaf, but Malkin is easily one of the most skilled players in the league. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if it were Crosby Malkin in scoring this year or any year of the next half decade which they'll almost definately spend on the same team together.

...and I'd have to say that Phaneuf is and will continue to be, better than Pronger! Heck, at this point in their carears, I'd rather have Phaneuf on my team than Lidstrom.

Last edited by vipernsx: 08-08-2008 at 11:35 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesadd View Post
Pittsburgh beats every team in the west easily except Dallas, Detroit, San Jose. Those three would beat them in 7 games I think (and even then the sharks might lose). yes, even your Ducks would most likely get handled.

Why does Pittsburgh 'handle' every team except those 3? Why does Pittsburgh NOT handle those 3?

The Canucks scored 2.5 against Detroit and allowed 2.5 against Detroit last season (per game) - both numbers are better than what the Pens managed. The Canucks lost to the Pens in a shootout - pretty evenly matched in the game they played. Why would they handle the 'Nucks easily?

I'm not saying that the Canucks would have beat the Pens in the playoffs, just that we have NO idea what would happen and to say how far each series might go and the eventual outcome is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by eklunds source: 08-08-2008 at 12:12 PM.
eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr38 View Post
of course you can say that because history shows that San Jose, Detroit and Dallas have done such a great job of getting out of the first round themself.
San Jose would have beat Pitt in the first round, but lost if they played them in the second

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Missed the sarcasm emote there did ya?
No I saw it lol. I just thought I should back my point up.

Old
08-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitesadd View Post

As for the trade, I do agree that in the short term it makes some sense, but long term, I wouldn't want to not have Malkin AND Pronger once pronger retires.
What makes you think the ducks would get handled? they had the same amount of points as Pittsburgh. Like I said unless they were a 1/2/3 in the west they wouldn't have gotten far. When they played a team with a real defense that offense didn't come as easily.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
How does Pittburgh's superior record against the West indicate so patently to you that they would lose a 7 game series against these teams, especially since they took the Wings as far as any Western team, including Dallas, and this with their #2 scorer playing injured?
Almost everyone plays hurt in the playoffs, I won't hold it against Malkin but I bet you there are still plenty of players from each team feeling the bumps and bruises from the playoffs.

Quote:
They didn't play the best team in the league until the Finals, and look what happened.
Correction, they didn't even play a top 5 team in the league until the finals.

Quote:
Oh my God, somebody strip Tampa Bay and Carolina of their Cups. Nobody told them that you could win championships without stacking your defense.
Both of those teams had game 7's..at home each time they were playing 7/8 seeds from the west, they are exceptions but look back over the last 15 years and look at all the cup winning teams. Almost all of them were strong down the middle and had atleast a true number one defensemen at that time.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Almost everyone plays hurt in the playoffs, I won't hold it against Malkin but I bet you there are still plenty of players from each team feeling the bumps and bruises from the playoffs.
It wasn't bumps and bruises, it was the flu, which isn't something you can play through at top capacity. If it happens to one of your foot soldiers, fine, but if it affects arguably your top post-season performer, there are issues.

Quote:
Correction, they didn't even play a top 5 team in the league until the finals.
Most top seeds don't. The fact of the matter is that Dallas, who many regard as the best WC team outside of Detroit, fared no better against them than Pittsburgh did. That's not wishful conjecture that no one can prove, that actually happened.

Quote:
Both of those teams had game 7's..at home each time they were playing 7/8 seeds from the west, they are exceptions but look back over the last 15 years and look at all the cup winning teams. Almost all of them were strong down the middle and had atleast a true number one defensemen at that time.
What exactly constitutes a #1 defenseman in your eyes? Because if Gonchar doesn't qualify, there's only about 5 in the league.

Not to mention that if the Pens traded Malkin - they wouldn't be strong down the middle.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:12 PM
SomeDude

And here I thought the contract extension would finally stop amazingly stupid Malkin proposals.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
how does that translate into Pitt beating a west power in a best of 7?

that's not fair, what other info could he bring up to counter your point?

if he's not allowed to bring up pitt's record against the west, how else can he counter your comments? or is that the problem to begin with?

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:26 PM
goliath5151

Brutal proposal
Pronger is way too old for starters. And secondly I just dont see his skill level being enough to be worth Malkin.

But value asside, it just plain doesnt make sense either. It would totally kill the Penguins offense to lose malkin.

You win cups by bulding AROUND your core. Not by trading it away.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote