HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

► Free Agents Even More Expensive Next Season (KHL)

Old
08-08-2008, 02:06 PM
RandV
It's a wolf

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Neither do I. But when push comes to shove, isn't a league that has more talent a 'better' league?

It would be sad to see all these players go, because they do add excitement to the game.

Maybe the NHL should just expand into Europe...
For the short term it'll drain talent, but in the long term it would be great if a NHL style European league could expand in the bigger European countries like Germany, growing the game at the grass root level, and increasing the talent pool all around. I've always been intrigued by the idea of an NHL styled European league for this reason. Right now the KHL only seems to be in Russia, but I'm hoping it can expand West.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
pbc37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Playing infront of 17,000 of which most are suits or getting to play infront of real fans. What sound like more fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFU3TYpL0g

maybe when you talk about a nashville or Florida but when you get into the good markets like the 6 canadian teams plus alot of american teams like San jose they have 10x times the fans and theyre not suits, there fans. Look at the video and that explains it all. NHL fans in good markets>> European fans

pbc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:41 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
► Kovalev - no big deal
► Afinogenov - piss off
► Kopitar - that would be a shame
► Plekanec - kinda bad
► Fedorov - piss off
► Kozlov - piss off
► Havlat - he hasn't played over here anyhow
► Lang - piss off
► Spacek - piss off
► Antropov - kinda bad
► Satan - piss off
► Fedotenko - piss off
► Reinprecht - piss off
► Gerber - finally
► Zherdev - kinda bad
► Prucha - piss off
► Bonk - piss off
► Zednik - piss off
► Dvorak - piss piss off

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 02:58 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc37 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikFU3TYpL0g

maybe when you talk about a nashville or Florida but when you get into the good markets like the 6 canadian teams plus alot of american teams like San jose they have 10x times the fans and theyre not suits, there fans. Look at the video and that explains it all. NHL fans in good markets>> European fans
Haha, yea, big screens with pulsating light and loud music always seam to get north americans pumped up for a few seconds.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:04 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Haha, yea, big screens with pulsating light and loud music always seam to get north americans pumped up for a few seconds.
throw in Crazy Train and i need to change my diaper

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:14 PM
MojoJojo

To put this in perspective for the OP, in order for he KHL to match the NHL for that list of players, they would need to shell out close to 100 million dollars. That is something like half the salary cap for the entire league. The KHL can afford to poach a few guys like Radulov and Jagr, but in the long run there just isnt enough money going around to compete with the NHL for the bulk of world class players. They are still going to be the league where washed up NHLers like Robert Esche and Alexei Yashin go to feel important.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:22 PM
TOML

Quote:
Fans are the same, regardless of where they're from:

They want to be entertained.

Certainly, the KHL should go after all the talent it can get. Because it needs it. My concern is that a further watered-down NHL is bad for the fans that watch it.

But while I don't like the NHL talent drain for the short-term, i can see the KHL being very good for hockey as a sport in the long-run, as it will get more atheletes into the sport if it's successful.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

I would hate to see Kopitar go. I'm looking forward to him being a star player. As for Havlat... he's barely played here anyways with all of his injuries. And Lang? Let him go. He's a bum.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:50 PM
pbc37

Quote:
Well youve obviously never been to an NHL game and if it was it wasnt in a market like Calgary or Edmonton. i live in Alberta and visit those teams a couple times a year and the atmosphere is amazing. They get 17,000 people to the games and the fans are crazy. So i honestly dont know how a group of people 2,000 big can outcheer a good group of fans 17,000. Sure european fans are great but they lack numbers so in many markets in the nhl we simply dominate you in atmosphere. Maybe comment next time if youve every been to an NHL game and know what it feels like.

pbc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Is this supposed to be headline news?

I mean - the cap is going to go up next year (even if revenues don't grow, the players have an option to bump it 5% - that's just about $90m across the league), there will be the same number of roster spots and more money available to spend filling them.

More money + same number of players = more expensive players.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:58 PM
WeezyHabFan

umm kovalev already asked to be signed to a deal b4 training camp.. so i doubt he wants to go to the KHL and he'll get more money in NHL anyways.

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:00 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
► Kovalev - no big deal
► Afinogenov - piss off
► Plekanec - kinda bad
► Fedorov - piss off
► Kozlov - piss off
► Lang - piss off
► Spacek - piss off
► Antropov - kinda bad
► Satan - piss off
► Fedotenko - piss off
► Reinprecht - piss off
► Gerber - finally
► Zherdev - kinda bad
► Prucha - piss off
► Bonk - piss off
► Zednik - piss off
► Dvorak - piss piss off
How do you figure? 25 years old and just got 69points last season. get your **** straight

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc37 View Post
Well youve obviously never been to an NHL game and if it was it wasnt in a market like Calgary or Edmonton. i live in Alberta and visit those teams a couple times a year and the atmosphere is amazing. They get 17,000 people to the games and the fans are crazy. So i honestly dont know how a group of people 2,000 big can outcheer a good group of fans 17,000. Sure european fans are great but they lack numbers so in many markets in the nhl we simply dominate you in atmosphere. Maybe comment next time if youve every been to an NHL game and know what it feels like.

2000? where did you come up with that number? The best teams in Norway have about 3000 in attendance... Sweden, Russina, Finland, Germany Switzerland etc etc have way more than that... Dont know the excact numbers, but I'd guess the best teams in those Leagues have at least 13.000 in attendance on a good day.

I have been to an NHL game and I have been to games in several european leagues.. I dont really think any of them is better.. Both have good things about them which makes you enjoy the game...

I looked it up.. in the 05/06 season.. Bern of the swiss league had the highest average attendance in europe.. 15.994..

Last edited by Redwingsfan: 08-08-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
How do you figure? 25 years old and just got 69points last season. get your **** straight
He's saying "kinda bad" as in "it would be kind of bad to lose that player to the KFL".

Maybe you should get your **** straight.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
If the KHL becomes equal to the NHL, I wonder if there's be interleague action. Winner of NHL vs Winner of KHL in the World Series of Hockey.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

How's this for irony: going to Russia for more money is now somehow considered a character flaw, after the USA and Canada spent 50 years telling Russia that a social system not based around the accumulation of wealth is evil.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
veronesepk

Reinprecht? An Alberta boy going willfully to the KHL in the prime of his career? He's not a star by any means, but the guy went to France during the lockout, not Russia - I don't see him going over at all.

veronesepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:44 PM
spoon*

The NHL is the best all-around league, bar none.

No other even comes close in terms of talent, organization, fans, and so on, so forth.

And quite frankly, conceding the fact that some of the players that might leave in the not so distant future are pretty good, if they don't want to be here, so be it; they should just leave.

The NHL isn't forcing anyone to stay.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
dybbuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
2000? where did you come up with that number? The best teams in Norway have about 3000 in attendance... Sweden, Russina, Finland, Germany Switzerland etc etc have way more than that... Dont know the excact numbers, but I'd guess the best teams in those Leagues have at least 13.000 in attendance on a good day.

I have been to an NHL game and I have been to games in several european leagues.. I dont really think any of them is better.. Both have good things about them which makes you enjoy the game...

I looked it up.. in the 05/06 season.. Bern of the swiss league had the highest average attendance in europe.. 15.994..
I don't think most teams in Europe can eve hold 15k. It was my understanding, *most* arenas held 10-12k.

dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Playing infront of 17,000 of which most are suits or getting to play infront of real fans. What sound like more fun?

makes me want to vomit for ever spending a dime on a Leafs game......the crowd sucks

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
How's this for irony: going to Russia for more money is now somehow considered a character flaw, after the USA and Canada spent 50 years telling Russia that a social system not based around the accumulation of wealth is evil.
damn capitalist Ruskies!

Old
08-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
► Kovalev - no big deal
► Afinogenov - piss off
► Plekanec - kinda bad
► Fedorov - piss off
► Kozlov - piss off
► Lang - piss off
► Spacek - piss off
► Antropov - kinda bad
► Satan - piss off
► Fedotenko - piss off
► Reinprecht - piss off
► Gerber - finally
► Zherdev - kinda bad
► Prucha - piss off
► Bonk - piss off
► Zednik - piss off
► Dvorak - piss piss off
Plekanec, Zherdev, Afinogenov, and Antropov are "kinda bad"? What warped twlight zone assed scale are you living by? lol

edit: unless you mean itd be kinda bad if they left?

Old
08-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
I don't think most teams in Europe can eve hold 15k. It was my understanding, *most* arenas held 10-12k.
I never said they could.. I'm saying the teams with the highest average attendance in europe probably has around 13.000 on a good night...

I found a list with some numbers on arena capacity and what not..

according to this list, there are 55 arenas in europe that takes 10.000 or more..

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/?page=0300

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
So what is the NHL going to do to stop the talent drain? As it is, a 30 team league is watered down quite a bit.

It seems that we're gradually going back towards pre-glasnost days as far as NHL talent is concerned. The Cold War is back. (Unless the KHL is overrated as a money source.)
Think you answered your own question. If the dollars exist in some world market (other than N. America), it behooves any athlete and agent to LEVERAGE that chit to the maximum. It's capitalism, and as much as I detest seeing talent leave the NHL (I'm talking Radulov, not Wade Dubieliwicz), you have to take the good with the bad, and I would not want to see any more restrictive economic order in place for NHLers...or any of us, for that matter. (Nor can one be enforced, i'm guessing.)

The interesting thing, as has been mentioned elsewhere, is that we are seeing the same, incrementally, in the NBA this summer. Not that the names who have departed are huge, but the idea that Kobe Bryant said yesterday on camera that he would consider an offer to play in Italy (Milan) next summer, when his option year in LA is play. Likewise, Lebron has thrown it out there. Again, nothing more than bargaining at this juncture, but it will put pre$$ure on professional franchises.

If/when you see the real big boys (i.e., Kovalchuk, et al) split for other continents , then it becomes a major concern for the Commissioner and the owners. Not yet.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-08-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 09:36 PM
VanW27

Quote:
► Kovalev - no big deal
► Afinogenov - piss off
► Plekanec - kinda bad
► Fedorov - piss off
► Kozlov - piss off
► Lang - piss off
► Spacek - piss off
► Antropov - kinda bad
► Satan - piss off
► Fedotenko - piss off
► Reinprecht - piss off
► Gerber - finally
► Zherdev - kinda bad
► Prucha - piss off
► Bonk - piss off
► Zednik - piss off
► Dvorak - piss piss off
Antropov lives year round in Toronto and IMO is one of the good guys in hockey who loves everything about being an NHL player, specifically being a Leaf.

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote