HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is losing Tanguay and Huselius a big blow to our team?

Old
08-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Ticonderoga

vCash: 500
Is losing Tanguay and Huselius a big blow to our team?

This subject has been showing up for the last month or so I though it could use it's own thread.

Was Tanguay and Huselius leaving a big blow to Calgary's offense?

Have we done enough to make up for the loss of these two players with our additions?

Finally are we better off now then we were before July 1st?

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I think it's 50/50, we have to wait to see how this team responds. If they're still inconsistent, defensively incompetent and undisciplined, then having grit and more depth won't really offset the loss of 2 of the 3 most talented players on the team. I think Bertuzzi and Cammalleri can score 45 goals to replace the offense Juice and Tanguay are leaving behind but I think Tanguay's all around game will be sorely missed. People can rag on him all they want but he was the team's best 2 way player last season.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Nah.

The way I see it, Cammarelli replaces the offence lost by one of those players.

The other offense lost is then made up by the improved talent on the bottom six lines. Also, the greater added offensive responsibility from Lombardi and Boyd, and a complete offensive wildcard in Bertuzzi.

Plus, an improved commitment to team defence and the elimination of the roster dead wieght, and a re-invigorated Kiprusoff (he's back to his old training regimen by choice), and I don't see how our chances are any less than last year.

We'll be fine.

Ice Cream Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:03 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Huselius showed up for about 1/4th of the season. He won't be missed.

Cammallari replaces Tanguay.

I'm confident a combination of Boyd, Lombardi, and maybe Bertuzzi more then make up for Huselius's numbers.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:21 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

I think we'll be fine without those two.

Cammalleri replaces Tanguay, which I have absolutely no problem with. You'll never see me disapointed to lose a player that didn't want to be here, although I wish him nothing but the best in Montreal. But it will be nice not to have to curse his name in frustration during games for not shooting the puck on wide open nets.

As far as Huselius, as good as he was when he was on, he was too inconsistant. I can't say I'll miss him much, for that reason. But like Tanguay, I wish him the best in Columbus.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post

Not likely. Their offensive numbers weren't really all that impressive overall and it was rare that either of them contributed to the point where they were the difference maker last year. Now the year before? That was somewhat different.

Quote:

Have we done enough to make up for the loss of these two players with our additions?
Yes, and in spades. I believe this time will outscore that team with ease.

Quote:

Undoubtedly. The depth that has been added since that time for the forward lines, is going to be key.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I think we'll be fine without those two.

Cammalleri replaces Tanguay, which I have absolutely no problem with. You'll never see me disapointed to lose a player that didn't want to be here, although I wish him nothing but the best in Montreal. But it will be nice not to have to curse his name in frustration during games for not shooting the puck on wide open nets.

As far as Huselius, as good as he was when he was on, he was too inconsistant. I can't say I'll miss him much, for that reason. But like Tanguay, I wish him the best in Montreal.
fixed it for you. And agree with everything you said.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames 4 Life View Post
fixed it for you. And agree with everything you said.
I think he was talking about Huselius still.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 05:49 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames 4 Life View Post
fixed it for you.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. What I was saying is that much like Tanguay, I also wish him the best with his new team, in Columbus.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Badger Bob

Tanguay might've turned it on if the Flames ever went deep in the playoffs. The plan is to have Cammalleri replace that offense - as others have said - and it should turn out than thinking Reinprecht could replace Drury.

Huseless stops playing around the holidays, so that's no loss at all.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 07:44 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Nah.

The other offense lost is then made up by the improved talent on the bottom six lines. Also, the greater added offensive responsibility from Lombardi and Boyd, and a complete offensive wildcard in Bertuzzi.

Plus, an improved commitment to team defence and the elimination of the roster dead wieght, and a re-invigorated Kiprusoff (he's back to his old training regimen by choice), and I don't see how our chances are any less than last year.

We'll be fine.
This is the way I see it as well. Cammalleri definetly can replace one of these guys this year. Need one young guy whether it is Boyd, Bourque, Glencross or even Backlund to step up and fill the 2nd line void which I definetly think atleast one of them will. Improvement of our bottom 6 is huge I think and will definetly be good for the team.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
This is the way I see it as well. Cammalleri definetly can replace one of these guys this year. Need one young guy whether it is Boyd, Bourque, Glencross or even Backlund to step up and fill the 2nd line void which I definetly think atleast one of them will. Improvement of our bottom 6 is huge I think and will definetly be good for the team.
Agree with you and Badger Bob. The club desperately needs more production from the bottom two lines. They could also use more scoring from the blueline other than Phaneuf and Aucoin. Hopefully Giordano can step in and provide some offense from the blueline.

Speaking of the blueline, better and more consistent defensive play would help things. Too often last year guys were in poor position.

Finally, the PKing needs to improve significantly. I've never been able to understand how the previous Flames teams filled with checkers and defensive forwards had difficulties killing penalties.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Lunatik*

Losing Tanguay and Huselius will only help the Flames... I think the offense with be pretty much the same if not slightly better... with more defensively responsible players the Flames should also be able to reduce goals against... that is of course assuming Kipper can play up to even his 06/07 standard... should this happen I don't think anything can stop us from winning the division... last year with brutal goaltending and sub par years from a few of our top 6 forwards we still were in the division title race until the end... should Kipper be moderately better and the forwards backcheck we should be able to win the division

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Losing Huselius is sort of addition by subtraction, I was a big fan of the guy but honestly he did nothing the last half of the year. Cammy will easily replace what he brought offensively, and brings a whole lot more than Juice does. Bertuzzi replaces Tanguays offence from last year, but IMO, his defence will be missed. But we don't need to worry about that as we have Bourque and Glencross now, which will bring in more offence and defence. Combined that with Boyd/Moss/Phaneuf likely growing and getting better, and if Kipper can keep up solid play, then we are an improved team from last year.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Fleury14
Kipper

uhm.. duh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Nah.

We'll be fine.
Yep, if everything works out perfectly we'll be in good shape...

I appreciate the optimism, but surprised to see I'm the first one that thinks we have a weaker looking team since we can't subtract 2 potential PPG players and be better off for it. Or course, if you did a poll with fans from the league's 30 teams at this time of the year, there would probably be '30 improved teams' heading into the next season.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
uhm.. duh?

I appreciate the optimism, but surprised to see I'm the first one that thinks we have a weaker looking team since we can't subtract 2 potential PPG players and be better off for it. Or course, if you did a poll with fans from the league's 30 teams at this time of the year, there would probably be '30 improved teams' heading into the next season.
make that 29

even atlanta fans know they're not improved and missing the playoffs in 08/09

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Stifler

We barely made it into the playoffs...so changes needed to be made. Tanguay wa a bargaining chip and Huselius should have been dealt at the trade deadline.

Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:32 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
We barely made it into the playoffs...so changes needed to be made. Tanguay wa a bargaining chip and Huselius should have been dealt at the trade deadline.
Huselius was almost traded at the trade deadline, but he wouldn't agree to a contract extension, so a deal that was made -- to the Islanders -- didn't happen.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 06:38 PM
ComixZone

addition by subtraction.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Losing Tanguay and Huselius will only help the Flames... I think the offense with be pretty much the same if not slightly better... with more defensively responsible players the Flames should also be able to reduce goals against... that is of course assuming Kipper can play up to even his 06/07 standard... should this happen I don't think anything can stop us from winning the division... last year with brutal goaltending and sub par years from a few of our top 6 forwards we still were in the division title race until the end... should Kipper be moderately better and the forwards backcheck we should be able to win the division
I don't think our goaltending was As you put it 'Brutal', So much as we had an entire team adjusting to a new defensive style brought on by a new head coach. The team really started to grasp that late in the first half to early second half. Kiprusoffs numbers also vastly improved in the second half. Getting your GAA down by the margin he did that late in the season is incredibly hard and a testiment to him making the effort to adjust. I think this season you'll see an entire team devoted to exactly what Keenan's style is and with Kipper being in shape I think you'll find him possibly even raising himself back to his 05/06 standards, Which BTW are incredible numbers for any goalie to attain but if anyone can In kiprusoff I trust.

On a side note I agree with you in the fact that the division title is Kiprusoff's to lose.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Cactus Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
uhm.. duh?

I agree to a degree. I think the Flames made lateral moves and are not better nor worse than last year. The Flames will miss their offense and especially Tanguay's 2 way game. The more I watch clips of Cammalleri and read about him, the more I realize he doesn't bring "much more" than Tanguay or Huselius. I know he's good offensively and faceoffs but I also read he should be faster for a guy his size, doesn't play defense and isn't physical. I think people are fooling themselves if they think he's tougher or more committed to defense than Huselius.

I do, however, believe that the lateral moves will help if the team can be more physical and tune up the defensive play.

Old
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
This subject has been showing up for the last month or so I though it could use it's own thread.

i wanted tanguay on the rangers. im sure he will do well in montreal. as for huselius well, he plays from oct to december than after the allstar game till march, then he stops. overrated big time.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 10:18 PM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I agree to a degree. I think the Flames made lateral moves and are not better nor worse than last year. The Flames will miss their offense and especially Tanguay's 2 way game. The more I watch clips of Cammalleri and read about him, the more I realize he doesn't bring "much more" than Tanguay or Huselius. I know he's good offensively and faceoffs but I also read he should be faster for a guy his size, doesn't play defense and isn't physical. I think people are fooling themselves if they think he's tougher or more committed to defense than Huselius.

I do, however, believe that the lateral moves will help if the team can be more physical and tune up the defensive play.

I think Cammeleri is a bit better than you give him credit for.

However, I agree with the previous statement. I'm not worried becuase I think the Flames are tougher, faster, and deeper than they have been in a while. But I also completely agree that its a wait and see process. I've liked previous teams on paper too and they just havn't put it together.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
however you missed a fairly significant point. one of the main differences between cammalleri and huselius is the attitude

cammalleri is very competitive and a lot of people hav even gone as far as to say his competiveness is a vice, but regardless its theres and it will probably rub off on other players during intense games. huselius never brought that type of attitude, not to mention you rag on cammalleri not being as fast as he should be for his size but the same could be said for huselius. he was no speedster

Last edited by Hyperkookeez*: 08-12-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Cactus Jack

First of all, is Huselius is 6'1'' and Cammalleri is 5'9''. That's a big difference in size despite Huselius' slight frame. Juice is of average height and Cammalleri is extremely small but he's still effective. And I've read that his "competitiveness" borders on selfishness when it comes to contract demands. On the ice, it will be nice to have a guy willing to shoot the puck but how will that work on a pp with guys like Iggy and Phaneuf that love to shoot. Is there such a thing as too many shooters?