Jordan Leopold

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 06:34 AM
ModanoFan

vCash: 500
Jordan Leopold

Hi Guys,

can anyone give me more infos on Leopold? I know his actual stats but what do you expect from him in the future?

Old
02-21-2004, 10:58 AM
OMA

Top pair d-man. Hopefully a PP QB.

He's got all the skill in the world, the only thing he may lack is toughness and the overwhelming shot.

#2 d-man. Maybe a lesser version of a Scott Niedermayer?

Old
02-21-2004, 02:04 PM
OBCT

Send a message via MSN to OBCT
...and he just scored versus the Sens today on the PP!

Nice work Flames, keep it going!

Old
02-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
#2 d-man. Maybe a lesser version of a Scott Niedermayer?
No shame in that, but the occasional comparisons to Housley are bothersome.

Old
02-21-2004, 03:07 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
I don't see many Flames games here in Massachusetts (obviously), but when I went to the Bruins/Flames game at the FleetCenter earlier this year, Leopold unleashed a rocket from the point that Raycroft could only look at. It was gorgeous.

So I don't know where this talk about not having a solid shot comes from (but again, I'm lucky to see 1 game a month)

Old
02-21-2004, 03:43 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanlambert
I don't see many Flames games here in Massachusetts (obviously), but when I went to the Bruins/Flames game at the FleetCenter earlier this year, Leopold unleashed a rocket from the point that Raycroft could only look at. It was gorgeous.

So I don't know where this talk about not having a solid shot comes from (but again, I'm lucky to see 1 game a month)
He's got a good shot. But he doesn't have the kind of shot that you can focus your PP on. He doesn't have the shot that a Rob Blake or Sheldon Souray has. That's what i meant.

Old
02-21-2004, 05:39 PM
kruezer

I think he'll be top pair. I think his defense has come along way this year, just watching the game today I would have taken his D over Gauthiers.

Old
02-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
No shame in that, but the occasional comparisons to Housley are bothersome.
Having watched Leopold intently for the last 5 years, I can say with confidence that the Housley comparisons are only warranted when he has the puck. He is going to be a much better player in his own end than Housley was.

Old
02-23-2004, 04:56 AM
ModanoFan

Thanks for your comments

Old
02-23-2004, 08:19 AM
vega007

He's clearly not a PP QB. His first pass across the blue line is terrible, as is every other defenceman on the team. His defensive play is simply horrible, I mean the game against TB that we lost 5-2 he simply gave the puck to the opposition right when he went across the blue line.

I know we didn't rush him and didn't call him up full time until he was 24, but I still think he could really benefit from another year in the AHL.

Then again what do I know, he leads the Flames in ice time if I'm not mistaken.

Old
02-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Zhackpot

I don't doubt his talent or ability but I wonder how long he will remain a Flame? Maybe it's just my perception but doesn't Leopold seem very disinterested in being and staying in Calgary?

His public attitude seems to be almost the same as Chris Drury's was (not as bad but similar) very non-commital and non-supportive of the Calgary community.

Can someone prove to me otherwise?

Old
02-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
He's clearly not a PP QB. His first pass across the blue line is terrible, as is every other defenceman on the team. His defensive play is simply horrible, I mean the game against TB that we lost 5-2 he simply gave the puck to the opposition right when he went across the blue line.

I know we didn't rush him and didn't call him up full time until he was 24, but I still think he could really benefit from another year in the AHL.

You're assessment of Mike Commodore is spot on.

Old
02-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
I don't doubt his talent or ability but I wonder how long he will remain a Flame? Maybe it's just my perception but doesn't Leopold seem very disinterested in being and staying in Calgary?

His public attitude seems to be almost the same as Chris Drury's was (not as bad but similar) very non-commital and non-supportive of the Calgary community.

All I can say is many American players prefer to play in the United States. That might be the case with Leopold.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I have no idea where any one would get the idea Leopold isn't interested in being a Flame. What has he ever done or said something to indicate otherwise? He just seems like a really shy guy. I used to watch his interviews when he played in college and he was very quiet and reserved. I think it's just the way he is. Mind you, the same thing could be said about the way Drury was. I just don't see it in Leopold.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old
02-23-2004, 12:12 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

Old
02-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Leo is a future all star IMO. Great at both ends of the ice. He's played great this year and made tremendous strides at the end of last year. Excellent skater and puckhandler. Good offensive and defensive instincts.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:42 PM
vega007

Don't get me wrong. This guy has a tremendous upside and HUGE potential. I think he can be an allstar in the future if he applies himself.

My assessment was based on this year, in which he was simply not up to snuff.

My flames D depth chart:

Warrener
Regehr
Lydman
Leopold
Gauthier
Ference
Montador

Five years down the line we could have this starting lineup, it would be awesome:

Saprykin/Lombardi/Kobasew
Phaneuf/Leopold
Kiprussof

Old
02-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher

There are players on the Flames such as Iginla, Gauthier, despite being the subject of trade rumours, Yelle, Conroy, Gelinas, Mclennan, Regehr, Lydman who all say things and do things that show me, as a fan, they are committed to Calgary.

I don't get that same vibe from Leopold. I have not seen words or actions that indicate he's not happy in Calgary but he's never said anything to say he is.

Since this is a Leopold thread, I was just wondering how long he will remain a Flame or does he have a desire to do so.

Old
02-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I have not seen words or actions that indicate he's not happy in Calgary but he's never said anything to say he is.
I think the key statement is in bold.

Quote:
Since this is a Leopold thread, I was just wondering how long he will remain a Flame or does he have a desire to do so.
If Leo absolutely hated Calgary the only thing he could do to get out is to demand a trade or not sign a contract with the Flames. We own his rights until age 31 (pending changes to the CBA.) As you say, I've seen nothing to indicate he's not happy here so why are you making it an issue?

It's a non-issue IMO. And if we have to deal him at some point his trade value will be high enough that we'll get back an equivalent young defensemen. Why worry?

Old
02-23-2004, 04:39 PM
vega007

The last three guys who wanted out of Calgary: Drury, Morris and Bure.....all got their wish. So did Savard, come to think of it. Calgary can't afford to let a guy sit like Bobby Clarke did to Lindros.

Old
02-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Flamin' Griz

Jordan Leopold has a reputation for finishing what he starts. To suggest he may not be happy in Calgary is a joke. He is not a quitter and he will not quit on the Flames.

Typical Flames fans trying to make something negative out of nothing...just like with Chris Drury....who did not want out of Calgary in the least.

Old
02-23-2004, 05:35 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
The last three guys who wanted out of Calgary: Drury, Morris and Bure.....all got their wish. So did Savard, come to think of it. Calgary can't afford to let a guy sit like Bobby Clarke did to Lindros.
I'd like to see you prove that Morris and Drury wanted out. Sounds like a lot of conjecture on your part. In fact Drury has adamantly denied wanting out.

Old
02-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Hitman*

Leo is finally learning that he won't be able to overpower guys in the NHL which was the case with many players in college. He's learned to play very good positionally and his offensive game has really come along. He's far more creative than Morris was (but doesn't have the same physical edge).

Definitely a top pair d-man if he keeps improving like he has been.

Old
02-23-2004, 07:06 PM
vega007

Derek Morris sat out the start of the 2000-2001 season because he wanted a trade. He signed on December 4 2000 for less money that he was originally turned down because the Flames guaranteed him a trade.

Seriously you don't think that Drury didn't want out of here? You can't be serious. Look at the guys play on the ice, also the press conference he gave the day he was traded. He sat there right beside Yelle and said..........."this is a temporarty stop for me and my career"........

You do not deny that Savard and Bure wanted out do you??

Closed Thread