Jordan Leopold

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Flamin' Griz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega007
also the press conference he gave the day he was traded. He sat there right beside Yelle and said..........."this is a temporarty stop for me and my career"........
Complete BS.

Old
02-23-2004, 07:52 PM
vega007

no it's not

furthermore i said nothing about Leopold not wanting to live in Calgary, all I said was hell can you blame him? I was born and raised in that ****hole and I'm sure as hell glad to be out. All I did was say that he's not a good enough player to cut it as a superstar for the Flames.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
no it's not

furthermore i said nothing about Leopold not wanting to live in Calgary, all I said was hell can you blame him? I was born and raised in that ****hole and I'm sure as hell glad to be out. All I did was say that he's not a good enough player to cut it as a superstar for the Flames.

Actually, this is what you said:

"He's clearly not a PP QB. His first pass across the blue line is terrible, as is every other defenceman on the team. His defensive play is simply horrible."

Wrong on all counts.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:17 PM
vega007

How many goals does our great PP QB have this year? And don't count the one Lalime gave up on Saturday, I could have scored that one.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
no it's not

Chris Drury did not say what you claim he said.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
How many goals does our great PP QB have this year? And don't count the one Lalime gave up on Saturday, I could have scored that one.
He has 7, including the one against Lalime.

And I'm going to count it unless you plan on looking back at every goal every NHL defenceman has scored this season to make sure you couldn't have scored it yourself.

Old
02-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Just to clear things up...

Derek Morris hated leaving the Flames. Especially leaving his team mates (Iginla was Best Man at his wedding, I believe). He was sad upon leaving the team he started with and felt was building into something. Said so at his press conference.

The Morris holdout was over money. He never asked for a trade, at least not publicly.

Also, Jordan Leopold likes playing in Calgary. He's said numerous times that he and his wife enjoy the city and that it's great to play in Hockey Country similiar to his Minnesota roots. Sure, some players often embellish platitudes, but in the case of Leopold, take it at face value. He's a pretty sincere kid.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Derek Morris sat out the start of the 2000-2001 season because he wanted a trade. He signed on December 4 2000 for less money that he was originally turned down because the Flames guaranteed him a trade.

Seriously you don't think that Drury didn't want out of here? You can't be serious. Look at the guys play on the ice, also the press conference he gave the day he was traded. He sat there right beside Yelle and said..........."this is a temporarty stop for me and my career"........
BS.

Quote:
You do not deny that Savard and Bure wanted out do you??
Of course not. Those are well documented unlike your Morris and Drury claims.

Old
02-24-2004, 06:43 PM
vega007

I'd just like to point out that I never said anything about Leopold wanting out of Calgary. That was news to me. Living in Calgary my whole life, I couldn't exactly blame him if he did want out though.

Old
02-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd just like to point out that I never said anything about Leopold wanting out of Calgary. That was news to me. Living in Calgary my whole life, I couldn't exactly blame him if he did want out though.
I take it you never got a white stetson from the Mayor then.

Old
02-24-2004, 08:56 PM
vega007

No but after Al Duerr gave one to that commie Chinaman who murdered millions and Bronco gave one to G Dubya, guilty of far worse crimes against humanity, I don't believe that I want one.

Listen man. Calgary sucks. I'm glad to be out of that @#$*^@#. I hope I never go back. Of course I'll still go to the 'Dome a few times a year for a Flames game but Boston is my home now.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 02-25-2004 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Edited to remove profanity
Old
02-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No but after Al Duerr gave one to that commie Chinaman who murdered millions and Bronco gave one to G Dubya, guilty of far worse crimes against humanity, I don't believe that I want one.

Listen man. Calgary sucks. I'm glad to be out of that sh*thole. I hope I never go back. Of course I'll still go to the 'Dome a few times a year for a Flames game but Boston is my home now.
Hey, I like Boston too. Love that "Dirty Water" (pop culture reference you may or may not grasp).

But really, seems that you have some recurring theme to your posts that since you hate Calgary, everyone else must as well.

By the way, Derek Morris makes his off-season home in Sylvan Lake and continues his charity work with the Calgary chapter of the juvenile epilepsy association.

Far be it from me to enforce HF rules on this forum (which I don't moderate) but your continued leit motif of "Calgary Sucks Therefore All Flames Players Want To Be Traded" is veering perilously close to outright trolling. You might want to reconsider your approach.

Just some friendly advice.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:05 PM
vega007

What good is home if you can't make fun of it? Staying in Lethbridge right now

Leopold takes a stupid neutral zone penalty on Selanne with ten minutes left in the third. Very undisciplined.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:10 PM
vega007

i guess my point is this, i'll say it once and say no more:

when Val Bure requested a trade, I couldn't really blame the guy. Here he is, married to a Hollywood actress, starting a family, and he lives in........Calgary?? wtf? All I'm saying is how I can see how Florida or California are better destinations for someone from Russia, or Minnesota I believe in Leopolds case.

Seriously if I said to you hey buddy I'll pay you $2million bucks a year to raise your kids in the middle of nowhere where there's eight months of snow and the government will tax you mercilessly.........or you can go to sunny Florida, your kids can chill on the beach and you can forget about paying any kind of serious taxes.....what would you choose?

I realize what my posts have given the aura of and I take your point. But really, why would anyone want to live in Calgary? Don't get me wrong my permanent home is in Calgary and I'll probably live there for the next three years or so. But I hope you see my point too.

Old
02-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:

when Val Bure requested a trade, I couldn't really blame the guy. Here he is, married to a Hollywood actress, starting a family, and he lives in........Calgary?? wtf? All I'm saying is how I can see how Florida or California are better destinations for someone from Russia, or Minnesota I believe in Leopolds case.

Seriously if I said to you hey buddy I'll pay you $2million bucks a year to raise your kids in the middle of nowhere where there's eight months of snow and the government will tax you mercilessly.........or you can go to sunny Florida, your kids can chill on the beach and you can forget about paying any kind of serious taxes.....what would you choose?

I realize what my posts have given the aura of and I take your point. But really, why would anyone want to live in Calgary? Don't get me wrong my permanent home is in Calgary and I'll probably live there for the next three years or so. But I hope you see my point too.
Honestly, Calgary. Every time...and I've never lived there.

California and Florida are infested with drugs and crime. Neither place, at least where the hockey teams play, are good places to raise a family.

We all get that you hate Calgary. Maybe we can move on to something else now, it's getting old.
BTW...you are the first person from Calgary (and I've met a great many) who has any disdain whatsoever for the city. You are in a very distinct minority.

Old
02-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh jeez, where to start...

Quote:
when Val Bure requested a trade, I couldn't really blame the guy. Here he is, married to a Hollywood actress, starting a family, and he lives in........Calgary?? wtf?
Val Bure was a primadonna without cause. I haven't seen any evidence that he's prospered outside of the bank account since he's left the Stampede City.

Who cares what the princess has to say. He's been on waivers and traded back and forth nilly-willy hasn't he?

No doubt his cow of a wife sought occupational employment outside of an A-Channel historical drama. With "Full House" on her resume, it only goes to reason her career was resurrected upon the bold career move back to the States. Yep, the offers henceforth came a'flooding. Hah.

Quote:
All I'm saying is how I can see how Florida or California are better destinations for someone from Russia, or Minnesota I believe in Leopolds case.
Jordan Leopold is perfectly content playing out of the teeming metropolis of Calgary. No doubt to your chagrin.

Quote:
Seriously if I said to you hey buddy I'll pay you $2million bucks a year
Sign me up. I'd play in Calcutta.

Quote:
But really, why would anyone want to live in Calgary?
One million people do. And the Real Estate and Home Building associations are rubbing there hands in glee because wave after wave of emigres flock to Calgary. There's gold in them there hills!

Last edited by Bicycle Repairman: 02-25-2004 at 03:22 AM.
Old
02-25-2004, 07:43 AM
vega007

Real estate market has collapsed in the last six months in Cowtown.

Old
02-25-2004, 08:35 AM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
Real estate market has collapsed in the last six months in Cowtown.
Wow. Where did you come up with that one?

These numbers don't say collapse in any language
Calgary Real Estate Market, JAN '04

Old
02-25-2004, 08:44 AM
vega007

You can use stats to prove anything

Hey you claimed Calgary is the fastest growing city in Calgary for the last ten years

That's just plain ridiculous

Lets not get into a pissing match

bottom line Calgary isn't the most desirable destination for most NHLers

don't take it personal

Old
02-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
You can use stats to prove anything

Hey you claimed Calgary is the fastest growing city in Calgary for the last ten years

That's just plain ridiculous

Lets not get into a pissing match

bottom line Calgary isn't the most desirable destination for most NHLers

don't take it personal
Stay with me here...I'm not a Calgarian.

You say the real estate market in Calgary has collapsed in the last 6 mos. I provided numbers that say it hasn't. Where are your numbers?

I think you're wrong too. Most NHL players are still Canadian and many of them prefer Canada to the US. Not everyone likes crack houses and drive-by shootings mixed in with their trip to the beach. As Repairman said, you seem to think that because you hate Calgary everyone else does too. Doesn't work that way.

Old
02-25-2004, 12:01 PM
looooob

Quote:

Calgary is one of the TAX FRIENDLIEST jurisdictions amongst NHL cities.

anyways we get it, you hate Calgary. no question some NHLers probably share your opinion

last I checked though, not everyone can play in Tampa,Miami,and LA?

Old
02-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
There's lots of factors that go into choosing where you want to live and you don't appear to be considering very many of them and some of the ones you are considering (taxed mercilessly in Calgary) aren't exactly bang on (when compared to other cities in Canada).

Some people don't really care to live in the biggest city possible. And there's problems that big cities have that are far less pronounced in smaller urban centers. So calling it the middle of nowhere might actually appeal to some players. Crime, homelessness, etc can all be more pronounced in bigger cities.

One thing you didn't consider is that the fans up here are very knowledgeable. I've certainly heard many, many a hockey player say that it is nice to play in a hockey city (which Calgary is.) Of course there's other players that would rather be anonymous in a non-hockey city.

As for my own opinion, I used to dislike Calgary back when I was in my teens because that's the general view I had (our city isn't the best, our country isn't the best, etc). But travelling in the US had certainly made me appreciate my own country and city a lot more. Personally I wouldn't want to live in the US and that's due to a lot of factors (politics, law enforcement, general attitude of people I've met on trips, etc).

The only real problem I have with Calgary is the climate. I'm not big on negative temperatures and snow. I prefer the Vancouver climate and will likely move there at some point. I can move where I want and I choose Western Canada.

Your reasoning for why Calgary is as bad as you seem to think is quite weak IMO and you do not seem to acknowledge that almost everybody will have different values and priorities that go into determining where you want to live. You seem to be of the opinion that because you don't like Calgary you don't see why anybody would. That's quite a closeminded view IMO.

Old
02-25-2004, 12:40 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin' Griz
Not everyone likes crack houses and drive-by shootings mixed in with their trip to the beach
It might be like that in parts of Detroit or New York City, but that doesn't it's like that in every other major American city. Aggessive panhandlers get in my face during just about every visit to Toronto & Montreal. That doesn't mean if reflects on all of Canadian society.

Old
02-25-2004, 12:58 PM
vega007

Calgary is one of the tax-unfriendliest zones in all of the world, not just north america. i'm not talking about city and provincial tax, you have to look at federal tax too. with g duyba's recent tax cuts for the rich, the average NHLer pays 63% less tax total in the United States than they would in Canuckville.

As for drive by shootings and drugs, calgary has a much larger crime problem than boston. this is mainly due to gangs in the northeast, etc. edmonton is way worse.

if you don't believe me go to any vancouver suburb and look at the chinese graffiti on all the fences. then go to boston and you'll be amazed at the difference in cleanliness.

Old
02-25-2004, 01:05 PM
looooob

Quote:
Calgary is one of the tax-unfriendliest zones in all of the world, not just north america. i'm not talking about city and provincial tax, you have to look at federal tax too. with g duyba's recent tax cuts for the rich, the average NHLer pays 63% less tax total in the United States than they would in Canuckville.

As for drive by shootings and drugs, calgary has a much larger crime problem than boston. this is mainly due to gangs in the northeast, etc. edmonton is way worse.

if you don't believe me go to any vancouver suburb and look at the chinese graffiti on all the fences. then go to boston and you'll be amazed at the difference in cleanliness.
you better tell that to Bob Boughner and his agent, who apparently did their own research and decided that Calgary was quite a good decision tax wise

I'm aware that federal tax in Canada is heavy duty in general, but Alberta reportedly shakes down ok by what is beeing said by alot of players and agents. that's not factoring in cost of real estate and other factors that confirm Calgary's affordability

I would be SHOCKED if there is a bigger shooting/drugs/crime/gang problem in Calgary than major US metropoli...but I'll admit I don't have data

regardless, it is clear you hate Calgary and that's fine with me I'm not going to change your stance. I don't think it's the promised land, but I could have worked almost anywhere in NA but chose to move back here for my own reasons...here's guessing there are some NHLers that share my opinion and some that share yours...just as is true for any other NHL city

Closed Thread