HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ot: UBC?

Old
08-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Dr Turk

vCash: 500
Ot: UBC?

Hey Canuck fans, so I'm originally from Vancouver but haven't been back there since I was about one. I've always wanted to move back to that amazing city. Now I am a high school senior and am seriously considering going to UBC and studying human kinetics. Does anyone on this board go there and how do you like it? How would a kid coming all the way from St.Louis knowing absolutely no one fare there? If you could either post here with your experience there or send me a PM to let me know you would be up for talking a little about the school and answering a couple questions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks and go Canucks!

Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Class Act

I like it. FYI I've lived in Vancouver since 5, moved into UBC at 9, lived in res first year, going into second and I will be staying at home from now on. My opinions might be a little biased cause I've been here for a while and haven't been around much. Got any specific questions?

Class Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 12:15 PM
9h0st

vCash: 329
Sorry I don't want to make a separate thread for this but this kind of relates to UBC... I just graduated from high school and applied to UBC for applied science and computer science (both for the winter semester) and was wondering if anyone knows when the last day UBC offers admission is? Would they somehow tell me that I have been rejected either by email or by the application status in the student site? I have been logging into the site quite often but it always says we are unable to offer you admission at this time (does this mean I should wait a few days/weeks or apply again in a few years?) and I haven't got any emails from UBC in a long time...
Has anyone here/does anyone know anyone that got accepted into UBC in mid-end of August so I know that I still have a chance?

9h0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 01:06 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
How would a kid coming all the way from St.Louis knowing absolutely no one fare there?
Live on campus and you'll be just fine when it comes to meeting people. Almost everyone is from out of town and in the same boat. It seems like half of my friends from UBC, including my fiance, are from south of the border as well...

Dunno much about HKin, but the people I know who did it really enjoyed the experience.

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Dr Turk

Thanks for the replies, I was planning on living on campus so I guess meeting people wont be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Act View Post
I like it. FYI I've lived in Vancouver since 5, moved into UBC at 9, lived in res first year, going into second and I will be staying at home from now on. My opinions might be a little biased cause I've been here for a while and haven't been around much. Got any specific questions?
Thanks, I actually do have a couple questions

I know its about a 20 minute bus ride from UBC to downtown. How often to student actually go there? Is it just to go clubbing?

How did you like living in residence? How were the teachers? Were the classes difficult?

And do you know anything about the intramural hockey program? is there a league for beginners?

And finally, hows the school spirit/pride there? The other schools I'm looking at are places like michigan, wisconsin, and washington where everybody wheres their schools clothing and goes to all the games. Would I find that at UBC?

I know thats a lot of questions but I really appreciate it as because its been really hard for me to find info about the school.

Old
08-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9h0st View Post
Sorry I don't want to make a separate thread for this but this kind of relates to UBC... I just graduated from high school and applied to UBC for applied science and computer science (both for the winter semester) and was wondering if anyone knows when the last day UBC offers admission is? Would they somehow tell me that I have been rejected either by email or by the application status in the student site? I have been logging into the site quite often but it always says we are unable to offer you admission at this time (does this mean I should wait a few days/weeks or apply again in a few years?) and I haven't got any emails from UBC in a long time...
Has anyone here/does anyone know anyone that got accepted into UBC in mid-end of August so I know that I still have a chance?
Call Enrolment Services at 604-822-9836 and ask them to check the status of your application.

If it's this late, you probably didn't get in, as a ton of classes are already filled up and I doubt you would get notified so late of getting in, but you won't know until you call.

Still, if you're serious about getting into UBC, call Enrolment, and ask them questions. Barring that you can always call an Academic Advisor and ask them any questions (Science Advising: 604.822.3820) and they might help as well.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
And do you know anything about the intramural hockey program? is there a league for beginners?

I know the way it worked with ball hockey, so I assume ice hockey works the same way. You can sign up with a team, or apply for the "free agent team" and get put on a team. There are different tiers of difficulty to play in, so if you wanted to play beginner ice hockey, I am sure they have the easiest level of difficulty you can try and get into.

I would link their website but it is currently down.

Also, don't forget to go play stick and puck to work on those skills!

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 04:48 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton
I know its about a 20 minute bus ride from UBC to downtown. How often to student actually go there? Is it just to go clubbing?
When I lived on campus, I pretty much only went downtown to go out... most students are the same.

Quote:
How did you like living in residence? How were the teachers? Were the classes difficult?
I enjoyed it; I lived in a frat house though, so its a little different. Most of the res kids I know had a good time, and I had a lot of fun any time I went to hang out there...

UBC is a research first, teaching second school... which is great for seniors or postgrad, but it can suck in your first couple years, when your prof barely speaks english and is only teaching math 184 to satisfy contractual obligations.

Classes vary quite a bit from faculty to faculty. Some departments require a 66% average, no matter what, while others couldnt care less if every student gets 87. I don't know anyone who disliked or failed an HKin class...

Quote:
Intramurals @ UBC are one of the best things about the school - I'd even say intramurals are a bigger deal to the average student than varsity sports. Huge events like Day of the Longboat or Storm the Wall dominate, but pretty well any sport can be played. In hockey, I believe last year there were three tiers of play, so there's something for every level of player.

I had a blast playing hockey @ UBC, and as Kid_Roll says, Stick n Puck is the ****... but when they rebuilt the arena there was no hockey league for a year, and I shifted my main sport focus to snowboarding, and I consequently suck at hockey now.

Speaking of snowboarding... the UBC Whistler student pass is the best deal in the universe: an essentially unrestricted season pass to WB, good from early november until mid-june, for 400 bucks. 7 riding days and your saving money. If you ski or shred, its a must-have.

Quote:
And finally, hows the school spirit/pride there? The other schools I'm looking at are places like michigan, wisconsin, and washington where everybody wheres their schools clothing and goes to all the games. Would I find that at UBC?
People wear school clothing here, but its nothing like the big schools in the states. We don't spend all that much on school
(domestic student tuition is ~5000 per year) so "I go to UNIVERSITY!!" isn't as big of a deal.

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
Call Enrolment Services at 604-822-9836 and ask them to check the status of your application.

If it's this late, you probably didn't get in, as a ton of classes are already filled up and I doubt you would get notified so late of getting in, but you won't know until you call.

Still, if you're serious about getting into UBC, call Enrolment, and ask them questions. Barring that you can always call an Academic Advisor and ask them any questions (Science Advising: 604.822.3820) and they might help as well.
I used to work there so I can tell you that calling them will not help. Just go to the online Student Service Centre at https://ssc.adm.ubc.ca/sscportal/ser...RVSSCFramework and login so you can check your application status online. As soon as they have made a decision, it will be online.

As for how long they make their decisions, they continue to review and revise their admission GPA's throughout the summer as students register and as soon students decide to go elsewhere. So if you're on the borderline, you can be admitted as late as the last week of August. It will be a ***** to get your classes, but you'll still be in.

Big Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
When I lived on campus, I pretty much only went downtown to go out... most students are the same.

I enjoyed it; I lived in a frat house though, so its a little different. Most of the res kids I know had a good time, and I had a lot of fun any time I went to hang out there...

UBC is a research first, teaching second school... which is great for seniors or postgrad, but it can suck in your first couple years, when your prof barely speaks english and is only teaching math 184 to satisfy contractual obligations.

Classes vary quite a bit from faculty to faculty. Some departments require a 66% average, no matter what, while others couldnt care less if every student gets 87. I don't know anyone who disliked or failed an HKin class...

Intramurals @ UBC are one of the best things about the school - I'd even say intramurals are a bigger deal to the average student than varsity sports. Huge events like Day of the Longboat or Storm the Wall dominate, but pretty well any sport can be played. In hockey, I believe last year there were three tiers of play, so there's something for every level of player.

I had a blast playing hockey @ UBC, and as Kid_Roll says, Stick n Puck is the ****... but when they rebuilt the arena there was no hockey league for a year, and I shifted my main sport focus to snowboarding, and I consequently suck at hockey now.

Speaking of snowboarding... the UBC Whistler student pass is the best deal in the universe: an essentially unrestricted season pass to WB, good from early november until mid-june, for 400 bucks. 7 riding days and your saving money. If you ski or shred, its a must-have.

People wear school clothing here, but its nothing like the big schools in the states. We don't spend all that much on school
(domestic student tuition is ~5000 per year) so "I go to UNIVERSITY!!" isn't as big of a deal.
Thanks for the great answer,Thats more than i could have hoped for. Although i kinda bummed people dont go to the city more as that is sort of a part of why I want to go, But the great intramurals sort of make up for it. I'm actually really pumped to go to UBC now, especially since I get domestic tuition. Now I just gotta learn to snowboard. Oh and do you know if the grading system is like eastern Canada where an 80 is a 3.7 I think? Or is it like the US system where an 80 is a 3.0?

Quote:
I know the way it worked with ball hockey, so I assume ice hockey works the same way. You can sign up with a team, or apply for the "free agent team" and get put on a team. There are different tiers of difficulty to play in, so if you wanted to play beginner ice hockey, I am sure they have the easiest level of difficulty you can try and get into.

I would link their website but it is currently down.

Also, don't forget to go play stick and puck to work on those skills!
Wow, thats great thanks. I cant wait to go play stick and puck now know to work on my nonexistent skills . I really like how Intramurals are a big part of life at UBC as opposed to some US schools.

If anybody else has any other opinions please post, and I guess go thunderbirds!

Old
08-09-2008, 08:56 PM
pitseleh

option did a good job of answering your questions, but just to add on, I lived in residence for four years (two years in Totem and two in Gage) and I had a blast. Totem is a ton of fun, though I was definitely tired of it by the time the end of second year rolled around. Gage is fun too but more subdued, and many of my close friends I met during my time in residence.

As for HKin, I think about 5 or 6 of my friends have gone through the program and they've all really enjoyed it with different despite having goals in mind (two are going to school for physiotherapy, another went into pharmacy, one is doing grad school, etc.). The courses seem really interesting.

As for downtown, one thing about UBC is that it's a little self-contained city by itself, so you can definitely get trapped in the stuck on campus mentality. But by third year I definitely spent a lot of time off campus doing other things and explored the city more.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Krnuckfan

80 is a 3.7 (A-).
School spirit is pretty nonexistent imo, nothing even close to the big US schools.

HKin is considered a pretty "easy" major by most, if you study you'll have no problem

Which rez are you studying first year? There's two where all the 1st years stay. Totem and Vanier. I'll list some differences between the two.

-Totem generally has more parties during weekends. I lived in Vanier and people went over to the parties in Totem
-Vanier has newer buildings. They also have two special houses Tec and Korea. To live in those two houses you have to pay a bit extra, but they are really clean and nice.
-Vanier is closer to classes unless you are in engineering. It is also closer to the bus loop and the SUB

Krnuckfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Jyrki21
Realgooder than you

Doc, just so you know, Vancouver isn't built such that you have to go downtown to find stuff. For instance, a lot of the UBC kids go to Kitsilano to go drinking/shopping/whatever, which is about halfway between campus and downtown. There are plenty of other commercial neighborhoods in Vancouver outside the downtown core, too.

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:07 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnuckfan View Post
-Totem generally has more parties during weekends. I lived in Vanier and people went over to the parties in Totem
-Vanier has newer buildings. They also have two special houses Tec and Korea. To live in those two houses you have to pay a bit extra, but they are really clean and nice.
-Vanier is closer to classes unless you are in engineering. It is also closer to the bus loop and the SUB
Vanier also has an amazing cafeteria. It used to be worth the walk over there from Totem for dinner.

Old
08-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Class Act

Quote:
Yeah, definitely. Most people seem to go clubbing, but I wasn't too into that. DT is more about 30 min away, and I'd go there to watch movies, get clothing, go eat at some nice restaurants etc. I found that a lot of people went there for dates >_>

Quote:
Residence was great. Definitely worth doing for me, even though I live around the area. I stayed in Vanier, which would be pretty far from HKin I think; Totem would be pretty close to that. Anyway, popular opinion seems to be Vanier is better than Totem as it's quieter and stuff, but that might've been because for the first bit of last year, Totem did not have a caf (they ate outside). They do have a brand new dining hall. Oh and if you have lots of science courses first year (I do not know about HKin) Vanier is very close to them. In fact, (not suggested) you can wake up when class starts and run over and not miss much =P

Profs? I'd ask around, but I found www.ratemyprofessors.com to be quite accurate in its assessment of the profs in UBC. Theres lots of comments there that are quite insightful, but still, don't take it as fact. Some badly rated profs there, I actually enjoyed.

Classes... it really depends on you, the course, and what you've done in high school. For example, all my science courses were pretty easy because I did AP sciences throughout high school. Also I'm a science kinda guy so I didn't really have a problem. On the other hand, English gave me a bit of trouble, while other people coasted through it. Just keep up with readings, don't skip classes, and it'll be pretty similar to high school.

Quote:
You can check rec.ubc.ca I think for the programs. I know some girl who played goalie for a guy's team, but I don't know how good she is so =\ Anyhow, check the site out. I believe hockey intramural start late though, like past 11pm or something. Btw, dodgeball intramural is surprisingly fun. =P

Quote:
LOL. Does that answer your question? Haha, jk. Sorry, I think it's a Canadian thing. Or an American thing, whichever. Canadian schools I don't think really have a huge school spirit thing. You'll see people with UBC branded stuff, but usually because they're on teams, or they're the exception to the lack of spirit around here. Sorry =( There is some 'house' pride, like in Res though =) That's always fun, with the intra-house games in rez.

Quote:
Oh and do you know if the grading system is like eastern Canada where an 80 is a 3.7 I think? Or is it like the US system where an 80 is a 3.0?
Canada doesn't really use GPA. 80-85 is an A-, and 85-90 is an A, and 90+ is an A+, etc. Simple. =) If you want to transfer your marks over to the states, the receiving school usually uses their own GPA system to fix up your marks to their comparable standards, such as med school application in Canada and the US each have their own separate ranking system for UBC.

For example, I believe for Canadian med school applications, they'll take a UBC A- (80-85) as a 3.7, and anything over 85 as 4.0. US might be different, but I'm pretty sure it'd be the same.

Class Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:46 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Act View Post
Canada doesn't really use GPA. 80-85 is an A-, and 85-90 is an A, and 90+ is an A+, etc. Simple. =) If you want to transfer your marks over to the states, the receiving school usually uses their own GPA system to fix up your marks to their comparable standards, such as med school application in Canada and the US each have their own separate ranking system for UBC.

For example, I believe for Canadian med school applications, they'll take a UBC A- (80-85) as a 3.7, and anything over 85 as 4.0. US might be different, but I'm pretty sure it'd be the same.
Actually, most schools in Canada use GPA still, UBC is one of the few that gives percentages. Some schools convert 85+ as 4.0 but others do 85-89 as 3.9 and 90+ as 4.0 (then there are some other strange ones, Manitoba uses a 4.5 scale, others are 4.33).

Old
08-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Dr Turk

Wow, thanks everyone, you wont believe how helpful all your responses are. UBC sounds amazing, does anybody have any negatives about the school? Right now I cant think of any reason not to go there. I guess american-like "school pride" is overrated anyway and shouldnt really play a part of my decision.

I was planning on living in Place Vanier because it seems its the most modern and convenient and I could always go to Totem to party if I wanted. I'm not that into clubbing but would gladly explore Vancouver and go to Whistler instead.

And I have heard that UBC students have a heavier courseload then most other schools so its similar to high school. Is there any truth to that? Oh, and are there places on campus or in Vancouver where I could go to watch college football, the Cards and the Rams? I know that I shouldnt be basing my decision on that but I dont think I could go 4 years without keeping up with local sports.

And Class Act, its good to hear science classes arent that hards since I have done AP classes, and want to go to Med school. The other school I was looking at in Canada was U of Toronto and I have heard there premed curriculum is hell on earth. So thats definitely gonna push me toward UBC.

Old
08-10-2008, 01:46 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Wow, thanks everyone, you wont believe how helpful all your responses are. UBC sounds amazing, does anybody have any negatives about the school? Right now I cant think of any reason not to go there. I guess american-like "school pride" is overrated anyway and shouldnt really play a part of my decision.
- Huge classes. Even in fourth year you'll be taking a bunch of classes with 100+ people, and in first/second year you can hit 400+ in a lecture. I didn't mind being a face in the crowd but some people prefer more interactive and face to face teaching.

- Research profs rather than lecturers. There are some cases where you'll be stuck with a prof who is better suited to doing research and teaching grad students who is teaching an undergrad class that they have no interest in.

- Bureaucracy. Probably the biggest problem with UBC, if things are going well then it's ok, but if you run into a problem it can become really difficult to sort things out. Because of the size of the university and the number of students, it's somewhat inevitable, but it can be a painful thing to have to deal with.

- Competitiveness (at least in Science). I've had friends who've transferred from other schools in Canada and other than maybe UofT there is a level of ************* amongst some of the students that you won't find elsewhere.

Quote:
I was planning on living in Place Vanier because it seems its the most modern and convenient and I could always go to Totem to party if I wanted. I'm not that into clubbing but would gladly explore Vancouver and go to Whistler instead.
It's not quite the same but living in Vanier is probably a better situation, especially if you want to do well in school. haha

Quote:
And I have heard that UBC students have a heavier courseload then most other schools so its similar to high school. Is there any truth to that? Oh, and are there places on campus or in Vancouver where I could go to watch college football, the Cards and the Rams? I know that I shouldnt be basing my decision on that but I dont think I could go 4 years without keeping up with local sports.
From what I've been able to compare to friends who have gone to other schools in BC (UVic, SFU, and UNBC), UBC courses are more difficult in terms of what is expected of students on the whole. I'm not sure how it compares to other schools in Canada, but it's definitely not an easy school.

Can't help you on the sports thing. The Pit (pub on campus) has Center Ice, but I don't know if you'd have access to some of the other stuff. They still get CBS/Fox up here so you could watch nationally televised football/baseball games.

Quote:
And Class Act, its good to hear science classes arent that hards since I have done AP classes, and want to go to Med school. The other school I was looking at in Canada was U of Toronto and I have heard there premed curriculum is hell on earth. So thats definitely gonna push me toward UBC.
I did AP Bio and Chem and took the credit for them in first year, but I'd suggest taking them again just because you can really bump up your GPA if you're planning on going into med, especially because those courses end up being pre-reqs at the schools that factor in pre-req averages.

I wouldn't say science classes are easy, but it does depend on your program. I'd say HKin is a great program to get into if you want to go into med though because you have flexibility to get the pre-reqs done and your required courses for the program are relatively easy. I was an idiot and went into a tough(er) program and my GPA suffered as a result.

Old
08-10-2008, 01:49 AM
express

I'm going into my 6th year at UBC, haha.. so I'll chime in too

I'm glad you've decided to live in rez, as it's absolutely fantastic at UBC.. I'm currently the Rez coordinator for Robson/Kootenay at UBC... and i feel like I have to comment on a few things mentioned in this thread about totem/vanier...

Vanier is NOT new.. aside from Tec and KU houses, which cost quite a bit more, the rest of Vanier's houses were built in the 50s and 60s. Totem's houses are newer.. BUT.. Vanier was renovated more recently.. the bathrooms and rooms were renovated some 8 or so years ago, so there's a lot of new stuff around, but the houses do show their age in places

as for the Caf, Totem's commonsblock was completely renovated last year, so now it's on par if not better than Vanier's ... if the caf is a sticking point, you'll have a good one either way..

as for going off campus, considering you'll be living with 18 year olds, there isn't much to do off campus since many can't go to clubs.. a lot of the partying is done in the vicinity, such as wreck beach, which is just across the road and down some stairs from Vanier...

Spirit is tough, because it's not nearly at the same level as US schools, but it's there.

You'll find there won't be much around campus, because UBC is mainly a commuter school, and commuters are mostly apathetic.. you'll see quite a bit more in the residences though, and residence spirit is huge... house spirit in Totem and Vanier is fantastic.. and it gets going really quickly with res events, such as Vanier Olympics for example which gets going in september...

also, Vanier Ultimate and Totem Football are an absolute must if you're at all athletic and living in one of those two rez areas...

in general, you're going to meet a lot of great people, and the events advisors and house councils put on are quality, and rez is much more fun when you get involved in stuff, which in Totem and Vanier is easy and most of your floor will always come out to most things, so it's easy to tag along and make friends.

The thing about Totem being more of the "party hub" is also somewhat of a myth, mainly because with such high turnover of students in those two rez areas, it can really vary from year to year, but it's true that the last few years, Totem has been the louder of the two.. but that can shift any given year, and for example, 4th floor Robson in Vanier was a pretty notorious party floor last year.

After first year though, you might find Vanier and Totem to be a bit young, and it might be time to think about the suite style residences.. Gage, Fairview, and Marine Drive...

Rez is great, and I'd lean towards Vanier, haha, but that's just homerism talking, both are great... and if you've got any questions about Rez, feel free to PM me, or ask 'em in this thread.. I'll be happy to answer anything else you've got

express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 03:37 AM
DoctorDoak

Quote:

Vanier's older houses have been renovated recently, which helps a bit. If you're not hugely into partying hard, you should have plenty of fun. There's still lots of opportunities to party, although I hear the residence staff are a little stricter now than when I was there 5 years ago.

Some people find Vancouver disappointing culture-wise, but if you're into the outdoors, you won't lack for activities. You'll have a universal transit pass included in your tuition, so getting places should be easy for the most part. Also, students get discounted season passes to Whistler as well, which are really popular. Weekend and even day trips are pretty doable, so if you get into it, that could take up many of your weekends during the season.

There are a number of decent bars on campus where you can watch sports most of the time. But hockey is king up here - if there's a Canucks game on, you'll be out of luck trying to get a TV - you might have to go off campus to find some games, especially if you're looking for St. Louis teams. Of UBC teams, the big deal is really the baseball team (I had a buddy play varsity for them), as they have competed successfully vs the NCAA even before UBC gained admission (which I believe they've got now?) - Jeff Francis came out of the program. The hot ticket hockey-wise I'd recommend on a student budget is the WHL's Giants - bit of a trek, but the price won't break the bank and you don't have to plan to buy tickets on the first day they're sold.

Quote:
I found AP quite helpful for getting rid of prerequisites only (taking arts, my AP Chem credit let me skip the two course science requirement for my degree altogether). Even though they might let you skip into a second year course because of AP, I wouldn't recommend it - I've heard horror stories of 1st years walking into 2nd year courses and being totally out of their depth.

Last edited by DoctorDoak: 08-10-2008 at 03:55 AM.
DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 03:56 AM
sticknrink

Totem is such a ****hole.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 06:20 AM
The Vengabus

A huge negative I haven't seen mentioned yet about UBC is the increasing commercialism of the school. The selling off of potential student areas for million-dollar condo buildings whose new residents in turn demand that the students town down their ways. I've been at ubc for two years now and there was far far fewer events, beergardens in the last year than the one before that. Not to mention ACF itself..

It is definetely a great school though and a very good place to get a strong degree. It also gets less bureaucratic after few years. You would be surprised how approachable and ready to help you a lot of department staff are.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Cuka

If you're planning on moving to Van for goodsies, eventually I'd recommend moving off campus, for sure, to try and meet some people that actually live and breathe in the city. If not, you're probably going to find that after four years all your uni-buddies are moving on and your circle of friends is more or less not there anymore!
I found that it can *really* hard to make actual vancouverite friends in this city... but then once I started joining various sports teams within the city (not on campus) it became much much easier, and people are pretty awesome as long as you are.

As for school spirit, I don't really see much at UBC. In fact, I found oodles more back at McMaster, which is in HAMILTON. I mean, come on, why be proud that you go to university in hamilton!?

And as for those knocking the non-english instructors for math 184, my buddy's teaching that, and I'm teaching 102! we're not all bad. But yes.. many are very bad. haha, I have no point.

Cuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:48 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuka View Post
And as for those knocking the non-english instructors for math 184, my buddy's teaching that, and I'm teaching 102! we're not all bad. But yes.. many are very bad. haha, I have no point.
Ugh, I remember taking Math 102 with Dr. Israel. *shudders*

Old
08-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Johnny LaRue

The only thing I'll add is that UVIC is way better.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote