HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ot: UBC?

Old
08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
The only thing I'll add is that UVIC is way better.
Came here to say almost this ("consider UVic"), and I know a few people who have been through HK at UVic and loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vengabus View Post
Pretty much...Unless you actually want an education.
While I can't speak to the relative quality of the HK programs at either school, I might be actually qualified to dispute this claim. I've done a number of interviews with UVic grads and alum, and I usually ask what they liked most about UVic. Any of them who had also been to UBC all said the same thing: UVic does a way better job of engaging you as an individual, while UBC (and most other huge schools for that matter) is a lot more faceless.
UVic is a terrific school, you'll know your profs and TAs, and you'll be able to make those relationships work for you. On top of that, its nicer at UVic IMO. But the city its attached to is a lot different, so you also have to decide if you want to be in a great city or a great small city.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baarle View Post
Hey Nuck fans, Leaf fan here. Sorry to bump this old thread but didn't want to start a new one. I'm debating coming from Ontario to UBC for the Real Estate program for 2013/2014, just wondering if anyone has any tips, reccomendations, advice to give. Also, how hard is UBC to get into for a low 80's kid like myself
If you're in the low 80's range (assuming it's high school grades) then you'll need a pretty strong supplemental application. Meaning if you did a lot of extracurricular activities and can reasonably answer the supp. questions you should be fine. If not then you'll have to be quite convincing with your answers.

Worst case scenario happens and you don't get accepted, you could always work hard in your first two years and transfer afterwards. You aren't doing anything real estate related until the 3rd year anyway.

As for doing well in math it really is all about practice if you don't have a natural touch for it. The concepts (esp. Calculus) can be nonsensical at first but once you start doing problems you figure things out. If you get into UBC profs and TA's are very willing to help you grasp the material and prepare for exams.

From personal experience taking Integral Calculus, I straight up tanked the first two midterms with a business course work ethic (as in, I didn't do a lot of practice). Once I realized I couldn't figure things out in a matter of hours I simply sat down with the professor and started doing practice and asking questions whenever they came up). I got a 70% on my midterm and subsequently got 90% in my final. Had I realized what was up from the get go I probably would've had an A or A+ but I wound up with a B-. But hey, better figuring it out late than never.

---

In terms of UVic being "better"... I don't know. I don't mean to sound snobbish or anything like that, but most of my acquaintances/friends there say they don't do much in terms of actual work and spend much of their time partying. They're pioneers in some forestry/environmental subjects but I would question most other programs' quality with respect to UBC/SFU. Depends on what you're looking for I'd reckon. UBC can be pretty cold/faceless in their Arts and Science programs but within smaller faculties (like business) it can feel very personal.

Last edited by VinnyC: 08-23-2012 at 05:41 PM.
VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Only reason UBC in one of my top current choices is because it's the only school in Canada other than U of Guelph that offers a full Real Estate program, as far as I know at least

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

In terms of UVic being "better"... I don't know. I don't mean to sound snobbish or anything like that, but most of my acquaintances/friends there say they don't do much in terms of actual work and spend much of their time partying. They're pioneers in some forestry/environmental subjects but I would question most other programs' quality with respect to UBC/SFU. Depends on what you're looking for I'd reckon. UBC can be pretty cold/faceless in their Arts and Science programs but within smaller faculties (like business) it can feel very personal.[/QUOTE]

I think the party atmosphere is overblown, but it is decidedly more laid back, and I would believe that less motivated students could really sink into the ease. Hell, I did for a while.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2012, 08:08 PM
The Vengabus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
While I can't speak to the relative quality of the HK programs at either school, I might be actually qualified to dispute this claim. I've done a number of interviews with UVic grads and alum, and I usually ask what they liked most about UVic. Any of them who had also been to UBC all said the same thing: UVic does a way better job of engaging you as an individual, while UBC (and most other huge schools for that matter) is a lot more faceless.

UVic is a terrific school, you'll know your profs and TAs, and you'll be able to make those relationships work for you. On top of that, its nicer at UVic IMO. But the city its attached to is a lot different, so you also have to decide if you want to be in a great city or a great small city.
People ALWAYS say this about the bigger schools and the fact is it is only true if you don't have the motivation to pursue these things on your own and need someone to hold your hand (read: engage).

If you're motivated to pursue the opportunities that are out there and to build the relationships that you want, all of these things are just as available to you. Yeah, there's more high achievers around you so it becomes harder to stand out at a bigger school than a smaller one, but that is not to say it is the same thing as a nameless faceless institution.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 12:10 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Well my math has always been low 70's so that's what worrys me regarding admissions at least
haha my grade 11 and 12 math were always in the low 70's (granted a lot was front lack of effort). My first year calculus marks were well above that. They have some good teachers.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Well they tell me I need a minimum of 84 percent average I've been around 81/82/79 for the first 6 years of high school so I'll have to putsome effort in I guess haha. Anyone know if grade 11 marks are looked at much, as I slacked off last year quite a bit haha

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 03:59 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

The only grades that matter is grade 12. If you want to get into UBC make sure your English is spectacular, especially if your math isn't great.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 04:07 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Well they tell me I need a minimum of 84 percent average I've been around 81/82/79 for the first 6 years of high school so I'll have to putsome effort in I guess haha. Anyone know if grade 11 marks are looked at much, as I slacked off last year quite a bit haha
For real estate?????

My friend is one of the most successful commercial developers in Vancouver in the last 5 years and he dropped out of highschool at 16.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 05:14 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

I know this an old thread, but ... SFU Kinesiology > UBC Human Kinetics

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTN View Post
I know this an old thread, but ... SFU Kinesiology > UBC Human Kinetics
SFU business > UBC commerce, while we're at it.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:26 AM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
In terms of UVic being "better"... I don't know. I don't mean to sound snobbish or anything like that, but most of my acquaintances/friends there say they don't do much in terms of actual work and spend much of their time partying. They're pioneers in some forestry/environmental subjects but I would question most other programs' quality with respect to UBC/SFU. Depends on what you're looking for I'd reckon. UBC can be pretty cold/faceless in their Arts and Science programs but within smaller faculties (like business) it can feel very personal.
I think the party atmosphere is overblown, but it is decidedly more laid back, and I would believe that less motivated students could really sink into the ease. Hell, I did for a while.[/QUOTE]

Ya, my brother went to UBC, myself to Uvic. Uvic is much more laid back atmosphere and lots of people definitely fall into the party atmosphere. I find most people do this for their first couple years then straighten out and start putting in some work. One thing to remember is that Uvic is MUCH cheaper for, well, everything. Housing, food, going out. This can also lead to people going out more, it is cheaper to go out so there is more days you can afford to go out.

A lot of which school would be "better" really depends on the program you go into. At UBC the sciences and Sauder have great reputations. While at Uvic, you have one of the best Psychology and Sociology departments in Canada.

I will say that if you want to create personal connections with profs and such, you can do it at either a large or small school. However, in a small school it is easier to do this. Smaller class sizes and simply less people coming to see them means they are more likely to remember and build a relationship with you. You won't have your hand held through this by any University, most profs don't even care if you show up in first/second year classes. You just have to make an effort to go talk to the prof or ta if you have any questions.

Lastly, I suggest to people to try and build these relationships with some profs in your department early. I have found at Uvic that if a prof knows you, and knows you are interested in the subject matter that if you are on the wait list they will do what they can to make sure you get in the class. Knowing a couple of good profs in your department can never hurt.

arshonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 03:00 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post

Ya, my brother went to UBC, myself to Uvic. Uvic is much more laid back atmosphere and lots of people definitely fall into the party atmosphere. I find most people do this for their first couple years then straighten out and start putting in some work. One thing to remember is that Uvic is MUCH cheaper for, well, everything. Housing, food, going out. This can also lead to people going out more, it is cheaper to go out so there is more days you can afford to go out.

A lot of which school would be "better" really depends on the program you go into. At UBC the sciences and Sauder have great reputations. While at Uvic, you have one of the best Psychology and Sociology departments in Canada.

I will say that if you want to create personal connections with profs and such, you can do it at either a large or small school. However, in a small school it is easier to do this. Smaller class sizes and simply less people coming to see them means they are more likely to remember and build a relationship with you. You won't have your hand held through this by any University, most profs don't even care if you show up in first/second year classes. You just have to make an effort to go talk to the prof or ta if you have any questions.

Lastly, I suggest to people to try and build these relationships with some profs in your department early. I have found at Uvic that if a prof knows you, and knows you are interested in the subject matter that if you are on the wait list they will do what they can to make sure you get in the class. Knowing a couple of good profs in your department can never hurt.
Agreed. Communication with professors is absolutely vital! Make sure you also attend lectures (even if they aren't a part of your grade) and participate during class.

I've been bumped a letter grade a few times because I dropped by the professor's office after finals to review my exam and get re-graded. Marking mistakes DO happen more than you would think because finals are often marked by hired (under)grads. They can't always find someone who studied the course so sometimes you'll get say, a guy from Real Estate grading a Logistics exam. He'll grade exactly according to the marking guide so there is no leeway; you can get some if you sit down and talk with the professor after the fact though.

Of course there's also the aspect of networking, even if you think that you will never cross paths with a specific faculty again. For instance, I kept correspondence with the professor that taught an MIS course that I took over a year ago. Just a few weeks ago I was looking for a research assistant position at the faculty so I contacted the profs I knew to see if there was anything available.

What I know next is that one of my paychecks now comes from the MIS professor.

Old
08-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Iluvatar

I studied microbiology and immunology at UBC and graduated last summer and am now in UBC's medical program. It's a nice school, but university is what you make it out to be. You can party as fervently as you want or focus more on being an astute academic scholar, or you can be one of the very few select individuals who can manage to do both without degrading either your social or academic livelihood. The campus is gorgeous, there are beaches nearby, there are forests surrounding the campus, and a very short distance away you can experience what cuisines, pubs, and activities Kitsilano and Point Grey have to offer in addition to the gathering places and daily events on campus.

Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Solidius

K stupid question but I was looking at my student fees and I see that a sizeable amount goes to athletics or whatever. Is that free gym access? I've never looked into working out at school but I figure I might as well start if it's free.

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 11:25 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post
K stupid question but I was looking at my student fees and I see that a sizeable amount goes to athletics or whatever. Is that free gym access? I've never looked into working out at school but I figure I might as well start if it's free.
The gym at the Aquatic Center is free; the one at the Rec Center costs $25/term. The athletics fee support sporting facilities, subsidize gyms/classes and keep varsity sports afloat.

Old
08-26-2012, 04:21 AM
nameless1
Annoying Poetry Guy

Just when I am about to chime in, I realize this is a necro thread.

For what it is worth, when I went to UBC, it took a 3 hour commute there and back.
Usually I was just exhausted at the end of the day and could not wait to get home fast enough.
Unfortunately, all they had were the cramped buses, so that made the day even worst.

All my classes had over 400 people in them, so it was hard to meet anybody.
If I was able to meet a buddy, I would probably lose contact by the end the semester.
It was a couple of years ago, so cell phones were not that common.

I still had high school friends who went there, but I was in a different faculty from all of them, so I barely hang out with them there.

I joined clubs, but the clubs did not contact me at all.
I got no emails or anything, and the guy didn't even tell me about any meetings.
There were clubs that had meetings, but it was tough to go to those 8 or 9 pm meetings.
Even at 9 or 10, the buses I take were still very full, and I would not get home until 11 and maybe 12.

I found it hard to talk to most professors...
I don't find them that friendly.
The best ones were probably the English teachers, strangely.

By the second year, I was just drained mentally.
No one told me about any of the varsity teams or anything, and I really had no friends.
I was pretty miserable, and I ended up at a college.

That's my 2 cents.
I know I have a lot of complaints, but I want to share the negatives.
Looking back now, I really should have done my research on other schools.
I was attracted by the comfort of home, and it was always my parents' dream for me to go to UBC.
I really did not look around, and just took the path all my friends took or what other people wanted me to take.
I also should have been more proactive, and really put myself out there more.
I should ask or research more on activities, and don't just focus on school.
I would also either live in a dorm or live closer to the campus, because then I would be less weary of the travel and I would probably be able to meet more people.

Nevertheless, I really had no regrets.
I like the smaller school, and I met a lot of cool people there.
I also developed very good rapport with some of the profs at the new school, and I would be able to ask them to be my references.
I learned a lot, and I became a more assertive person.

In the end, I believe you really have to find a school that fits you.
Don't just listen to what everyone says, and do some research.
Sometimes, it is not a bad idea to go to a smaller school and get use to the work ethic and atmosphere of university life first and then decide if you want to try to go to a bigger school.

Anyways, good luck to you all, and I hope my experience helps.
If nothing else, thanks for letting me share.

nameless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 04:50 AM
erik19

I did two degrees at UBC.

I made lots of friends, learned how to play hockey, held lots of different jobs on campus, including a nice full time job after I graduated.

I'm now in medical school, thanks in part to my UBC experience.

UBC = pretty OK.

erik19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 05:28 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
SFU business > UBC commerce, while we're at it.
As someone who went to SFU Business, I've never felt that it gave me the edge over someone who went to Sauder (UBC) but I have felt that going to UBC may have helped me in some instances. At the end of the day, I went to school to get a good job and SFU got me there...but I'm sure UBC would have done the job too.

I do think UBC has a longer history so when you are talking to business guys they are more likely to have gone to UBC and thus are more likely to recognize it as better (whether it is or not doesn't really matter) but if you're talking to the right business guys, you're also be more likely to talk about T&A and the deal you are trying to setup then where you went to school.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Solidius

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
The gym at the Aquatic Center is free; the one at the Rec Center costs $25/term. The athletics fee support sporting facilities, subsidize gyms/classes and keep varsity sports afloat.
What are the facilities like at the Aquatic Centre?

Old
08-26-2012, 02:53 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
It's awful.

edit: But it's free.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 03:27 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Well, they have an outdoor and indoors pool, diving boards, sauna and a gym. It's good for the swimming part but the gym blows; better to simply pay the $25 to go to the one at the Rec Center (that's for a whole term). It's free, though.

Old
08-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Solidius

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Well, they have an outdoor and indoors pool, diving boards, sauna and a gym. It's good for the swimming part but the gym blows; better to simply pay the $25 to go to the one at the Rec Center (that's for a whole term). It's free, though.
Better alternative to most gyms though?

Old
08-26-2012, 11:18 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

i'm aware this is a necro thread, but is anyone else curious what the OP ended up choosing?

and, going along with that, how much student debt he now holds?

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2012, 12:27 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Better alternative to most gyms though?
You could get a solid workout out of the gym over there - but it doesn't have lots of equipment or dumbbells. The one at the rec center is more complete at only $25/term. If you're just starting out give the Aquatic Center a try first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i'm aware this is a necro thread, but is anyone else curious what the OP ended up choosing?

and, going along with that, how much student debt he now holds?
After some digging, he seems to have chosen U of T. So probably quite a bit.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=81