I miss Huselius already

Old
08-11-2008, 12:17 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
A year ago Huselius and Tanguay were great Flames and then all of a sudden they are locker room cancers and were dragging the team down.

Who ever said anything about either one of them being locker room cancers? All that's being pointed out in this thread is that as talented as Huselius is, he's also inconsistant and was invisible in the last half of last season, which is the truth.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:58 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
You Flames fans are just saying this because he is gone. He is a great player that always contributed and will be a huge loss to your team. Just admit it, instead of being homers.

A talented player the Flames lost and he sucks now, who woulda thought?
You don't pay attention much do you? Flames fans threw in the towel on Huselius by March or even February last season. Once he disappeared for MONTHS all focus was on keeping Langkow, due to his consistency because we all knew we could only keep one on board.

This isn't a case of sour grapes at all. Myself and many others awaited July 1st for some time.

Adios

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Huselius got a bad rap quickly and I think most of it is unfair. While it is best to get rid of players that management clearly doesn't want on their team and players who were made uncomfortable playing in Calgary (they were fine in their first year), I don't know what else people wanted from Huselius - a top 10 player? The guy was making a mere 1.4 million and putting up 25-30 goals and 66-78 point seasons. That's ideal but the minute Sutter and Keenan turn on him and start benching him and dogging him in the media, people get on the players too. A year ago Huselius and Tanguay were great Flames and then all of a sudden they are locker room cancers and were dragging the team down.

IF the Flames choke again and have another mediocre season, I wonder who we're going to point the finger at - Kiprusoff? Probably and we might run him out of town too but IF it happens again it's time to start point fingers at the GM and coach for a change.
I agree. I think those two players were unfairly treated last season. I think their less than stellar performances were both the product of management not handling their situations very well. Criticizing them in the media and reducing ice time just made situations worse, and led to their continued "poor" performance..

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
I agree. I think those two players were unfairly treated last season. I think their less than stellar performances were both the product of management not handling their situations very well. Criticizing them in the media and reducing ice time just made situations worse, and led to their continued "poor" performance..
Reducing ice time? Tanguay got to play in every situation there was, in fact he didn't like the fact he also got PK time.. He internalized everything and it effected his play.

Huselius.. there's no excuse for him to float and be useless. In fact he only kicked it in gear once he was called out, by Robyn Regehr.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire38 View Post
Huselius.. there's no excuse for him to float and be useless. In fact he only kicked it in gear once he was called out, by Robyn Regehr.
You don't pay attention do you? Huselius has been a streaky player his entire career. He was streaky already when he was a junior and if his ups and downs came as a surprise to either you, other fans or Flames management then none of you are very well informed.

Sutter hiring Keenan was the end of Kristian in Calgary. If you or anyone else expected Huselius to become a better player with Keenan behind the bench, you're the biggest optimist alive.

I bet you think Nolan was magnificent.

Adios

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I agree. Huselius gave you everything and more you wanted out of a 1.4 million dollar player you picked up for Steve Montador. The guy wasn't being paid like a supertar but was performing like a top line player. As for Tanguay, most of that ice time he got was in a defensive role and he saw most of his limited pp time with Nolan and Conroy. That's not making the best use of a point a game guy, if you ask me.

I hate how this organization takes an asset and then runs him down before trying to get something back for him. It's counterproductive and just plain stupid to do it publically. That's why we only get a late 1st rounder for Tanguay, who will put up a point a game in that offense in Montreal - he has every year except last year.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:43 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
I agree. Huselius gave you everything and more you wanted out of a 1.4 million dollar player you picked up for Steve Montador. The guy wasn't being paid like a supertar but was performing like a top line player. As for Tanguay, most of that ice time he got was in a defensive role and he saw most of his limited pp time with Nolan and Conroy. That's not making the best use of a point a game guy, if you ask me.
Huselius was playing for a contract. 1.4 he is an absolute steal. Don't think anyone would argue that. However if he wants to be paid 4.5 or whatever he is making with the Jackets now he had to show more to Sutter and Keenan and he failed to do that. He was useless the last 2 months of the season. Can't have a player that talented and making that much money be useless for a big part of the season.

Quote:
I hate how this organization takes an asset and then runs him down before trying to get something back for him. It's counterproductive and just plain stupid to do it publically.That's why we only get a late 1st rounder for Tanguay, who will put up a point a game in that offense in Montreal - he has every year except last year.
What are you even talking about? Sutter DENIED having Tanguay on the block how many times last year? He called him one of the best wingers in the game and said he would not be traded at all. Nobody ran him out of town. I liked Tanguay, but he just didn't fit in with this team it seemed like. He had plenty of opportunities to play on the first line and didn't do enough with it.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Dont mean to be lurking, but this thread caught my eye. A lot of the same things have been said about Zherdev on the Jackets board.

Sounds like Z and Hus. have same characteristics. Very talented but mail it in some nights. In the 2 seasons Hitch coached Z, Hitch was able to get Z to be alittle more responsible in his defensive end.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 09:00 PM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Dont mean to be lurking, but this thread caught my eye. A lot of the same things have been said about Zherdev on the Jackets board.

Sounds like Z and Hus. have same characteristics. Very talented but mail it in some nights. In the 2 seasons Hitch coached Z, Hitch was able to get Z to be alittle more responsible in his defensive end.
I hope Hitch does ok with him for both Juice and the Jackets sake. I have my doubts, but its possible. He is a talent if you can get him to buy in.

I'll miss the talent, but I deinfelty won't miss the headaches i get from shaking my head and yelling constantly at all his miscues that cost the Flames. Didn't fit the system, and is not the type of guy you win championships with.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 01:05 AM
OvetchkinSOS

Quote:
Huselius got a bad rap quickly and I think most of it is unfair. While it is best to get rid of players that management clearly doesn't want on their team and players who were made uncomfortable playing in Calgary (they were fine in their first year), I don't know what else people wanted from Huselius - a top 10 player? The guy was making a mere 1.4 million and putting up 25-30 goals and 66-78 point seasons. That's ideal but the minute Sutter and Keenan turn on him and start benching him and dogging him in the media, people get on the players too. A year ago Huselius and Tanguay were great Flames and then all of a sudden they are locker room cancers and were dragging the team down.

IF the Flames choke again and have another mediocre season, I wonder who we're going to point the finger at - Kiprusoff? Probably and we might run him out of town too but IF it happens again it's time to start point fingers at the GM and coach for a change.
Exactly.. I mean when hes on his streak everyone loves him... then when he doesnt score the media starts hounding the guy adding pressure... Then you add Keenan to the mix it just makes the whole situation even more unbearable to watch

OvetchkinSOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 03:20 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvetchkinSOS View Post
Exactly.. I mean when hes on his streak everyone loves him... then when he doesnt score the media starts hounding the guy adding pressure... Then you add Keenan to the mix it just makes the whole situation even more unbearable to watch

And this is going to change in Columbus? If he can't handle some pressure then he shouldn't be playing competitive sports.

Old
08-12-2008, 05:18 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
And this is going to change in Columbus? If he can't handle some pressure then he shouldn't be playing competitive sports.
Yeah averaging 70 points a year clearly shows he can't handle the pressure of playing in the NHL

Old
08-12-2008, 05:47 AM
Pardy Time

Quote:

Huselius getting a bad rap was more than fair. In the last 40 games last season he had a total of seven goals, including a 20 game goal-less drought. It doesn't matter if he was only making $1.4 million, he was counted on to score goals and create offense for the team, and during the second half of the season, he didn't do that. Yeah, he was second in points on our team, but most of those points came in the first half of the season. After that, he fizzled out.

He deserved the benching. When you're playing with a 50-goal scorer and you can barely muster up any points, it's time to take a seat. I don't care who you are. That's what happens when you go 20 games without a goal. Period.

I never really heard anyone call Huselius or Tanguay cancers, but Huselius did have a negative effect on the team. Huselius can't play a defensive role, so when he isn't scoring, he isn't doing much. Players go on slides, but a 20 game slide? If a guy like Langkow went 20 games without a goal, it wouldn't be as big of a deal because he can play that defensive role.

I liked the guy, but his time in Calgary was up.

Pardy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvetchkinSOS View Post
Pinning it all on Keenan doesn't exactly explain why Huseless went on sabatical after New Year's last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY View Post
Huselius can't play a defensive role, so when he isn't scoring, he isn't doing much. Players go on slides, but a 20 game slide?
That'll all really endear him to Hitch.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 09:34 AM
flamesfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
Yeah averaging 70 points a year clearly shows he can't handle the pressure of playing in the NHL

I didn't say he couldn't handle it. Anyone using that excuse for Huselius though is out to lunch.

Old
08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
What are you even talking about? Sutter DENIED having Tanguay on the block how many times last year? He called him one of the best wingers in the game and said he would not be traded at all. Nobody ran him out of town. I liked Tanguay, but he just didn't fit in with this team it seemed like. He had plenty of opportunities to play on the first line and didn't do enough with it.
His denial of having Tanguay on the block really turned out to be true, right? And there was nothing to all those Montreal rumours, was there?

There's a funny audio clip of Sutter they sometimes play on the FAN of Sutter laughing at the media because of the insistent rumours of Tanguay being dealt to Montreal. And where did he end up going? He touted him as an elite winger? Do GMs trade elite wingers for a late first round pick while they're under contract?

Although Nolan brought much more to the table as a whole than Huselius and perhaps Tanguay, I didn't see the coaching staff all over him when at the start of the year he went on a 15 game scoreless streak as well. I agree that it's good those two moved on because Sutter and Keenan despised them but I don't agree with the Sutter philosophy. I hope everyone is happy when we turn into the 2005/2006 defensive stalwart we were that couldn't score a goal to save its life because that's where we are headed.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:31 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Sounds like Huselius will be a good replacement for Zherdev. The thought in Columbus is that the top line will be Nash - Umberger - Huselius. Nash and Umberger should be able to cover for Huselius' defensive short-comings. Huselius just needs to feed them the puck.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

A new situation for Huselius may do wonders for him. Maybe Hitch can get him to play a strong 2 way game.

If he puta up #'s, like he is capable of, then I think a lot will be overlooked. Hitch doesnt use the media much to criticise his players, and the newspaper here is part owners of the Jackets.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 02:22 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire38 View Post
Reducing ice time? Tanguay got to play in every situation there was, in fact he didn't like the fact he also got PK time.. He internalized everything and it effected his play.

Tanguay got reduced offensive ice time. When he is clearly an offensive player.

Huselius had a few ways he got out of his slumps in the past few years, like when Playfair benched him, and Regehr called him out.. but whatever they tried with him in the last quarter of the season did not work. Not saying that something different would have, who knows.
Oh well, its fine that he is gone, especially since we can't afford to pay him 4.5 for what he brings to the table.

But I still don't think the organization gave those two players the best chance to succeed.

Old
08-12-2008, 02:56 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
A new situation for Huselius may do wonders for him. Maybe Hitch can get him to play a strong 2 way game.

If he puta up #'s, like he is capable of, then I think a lot will be overlooked. Hitch doesnt use the media much to criticise his players, and the newspaper here is part owners of the Jackets.
Well if you want your players to put up 70 points you'll enjoy Huselius. If you want them to be 40 years old and score 16 goals, you would have been better off getting Owen Nolan, who for some reason is regarded as a fantastic player around here.

Huselius will be an offensive force in Columbus. Just like he was in Calgary. Hopefully your fanbase appreciates supreme talent over some washed up grinder from the mid 90's.

Old
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
flamesfan12

Quote:
His denial of having Tanguay on the block really turned out to be true, right? And there was nothing to all those Montreal rumours, was there?

There's a funny audio clip of Sutter they sometimes play on the FAN of Sutter laughing at the media because of the insistent rumours of Tanguay being dealt to Montreal. And where did he end up going? He touted him as an elite winger? Do GMs trade elite wingers for a late first round pick while they're under contract?
What did you want Sutter to say to the media then? I fail to see how Sutter did anything wrong publically that ran him out of town.

Old
08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
BadNewsBearcat

Quote:
Well if you want your players to put up 70 points you'll enjoy Huselius. If you want them to be 40 years old and score 16 goals, you would have been better off getting Owen Nolan, who for some reason is regarded as a fantastic player around here.

Huselius will be an offensive force in Columbus. Just like he was in Calgary. Hopefully your fanbase appreciates supreme talent over some washed up grinder from the mid 90's.
Supreme talent? Where was this supreme talent in the last 40 games of the year?

But wait, I guess he can do all those fancy moves in the skills competition shoot-out. Who cares that he becomes invisible when the games actually start to mean something.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
Supreme talent? Where was this supreme talent in the last 40 games of the year?

But wait, I guess he can do all those fancy moves in the skills competition shoot-out. Who cares that he becomes invisible when the games actually start to mean something.
Agreed But you have to admit when he made Osgood look like a fool this Year it was pretty cool. I was a fan of Huselius this year but I would rather have this roster than last years and so in that respect I'm glad he signed elsewhere. All the best to him for 1/2 of the season.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:07 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Hopefully your fanbase appreciates supreme talent over some washed up grinder from the mid 90's.

Yet it was the washed up grinder from the mid 90's who showed up in the playoffs (when it mattered most), while the supreme talent was nowhere to be seen.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 06:17 PM
puck_08

Quote:
What did you want Sutter to say to the media then? I fail to see how Sutter did anything wrong publically that ran him out of town.
It didn't have to be public.. obviously the rumors were based on some fact.. and Tanguay probably knew more than we did..