Notices

I miss Huselius already

Old
08-12-2008, 07:19 PM
puck_08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Yet it was the washed up grinder from the mid 90's who showed up in the playoffs (when it mattered most), while the supreme talent was nowhere to be seen.
Huselius wasn't the only one who didn't show up in the playoffs.. more like only 3 players did show up..

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
Huselius wasn't the only one who didn't show up in the playoffs.. more like only 3 players did show up..

Yes, but you need your best players to perform. Both Tanguay and Huselius both were below what we expected from them.

I for one will miss half of Huselius, the half that dangled and scored his way to my heart when we traded for him. Not the half which sat on the bench for periods at a time and had a two way game that reminded me of pee-wee hockey.

Still his offensive skills were a sight to behold when he felt like showing them off, which was is almost never after December hit.

I wish him the best, but a part of me wants to see him get abused by Regehr or Phaneuf next season.

I am more saddened by losing Tanguay, but what can ya do.

Last edited by Ticonderoga: 08-12-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:11 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
It didn't have to be public.. obviously the rumors were based on some fact.. and Tanguay probably knew more than we did..
Again I ask what could Sutter have done? Everything becomes public with the media nowadays.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:54 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
If Juice plays in Columbus like he did the last half of the season I won't care, just as long as we beat them.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 03:09 AM
AZCOYOT

The team played fine these playoffs, the series was up in the air until a brutal game 7.

It was a great series

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 03:28 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire38 View Post
The team played fine these playoffs, the series was up in the air until a brutal game 7.

It was a great series
Yeah, game 7 could've been the best game of that series, rather than an embarrassing ass-kicking.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 09:46 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Yet it was the washed up grinder from the mid 90's who showed up in the playoffs (when it mattered most), while the supreme talent was nowhere to be seen.
I still don't see what Nolan did so wonderfully well. He had 1 point more than Huselius.

You probably also ignore the fact that Huselius assisted on 2 of Nolan's 3 goals. The first one was a backhand shot from Huselius where Nolan put the rebound into an empty net. The second was Huselius giving Nolan a breakaway from the red line. Those are some TOUGH goals to score. Huselius was TERRIBLE and Nolan FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ridiculous.

For Huselius to turn Nolan into a goalscorer of sorts is the very definition of supreme talent.

Last edited by AndersEriksson*: 08-13-2008 at 09:52 AM.
AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 11:37 AM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
Yes, but you need your best players to perform. Both Tanguay and Huselius both were below what we expected from them.

I for one will miss half of Huselius, the half that dangled and scored his way to my heart when we traded for him. Not the half which sat on the bench for periods at a time and had a two way game that reminded me of pee-wee hockey.

Still his offensive skills were a sight to behold when he felt like showing them off, which was is almost never after December hit.

I wish him the best, but a part of me wants to see him get abused by Regehr or Phaneuf next season.

I am more saddened by losing Tanguay, but what can ya do.
Yeah, the playoffs left a lot to be desired for both of those guys.. plus most of our defence and the rest of our forwards.. oh well.

I agree, I'll miss Huselius's dangles, but I really won't miss the guy that much..

Tanguay I am sad to see leave.. but what can you do.. not the end of the world.. although part of me kind of hopes he fades under the intense french media pressure.. (but most of me hopes he does well).

At least one of my fave players from LA is on our team now. However I don't really have high expectations for him, seeing how all the other skilled players haven't really excelled in our system..

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire38 View Post

It was a great series
Dude, they were terrible. They also managed to get Detroit to 6 last year but what does it matter? Against Detroit they were manhandled for 4 of the 6 games and Kiprusoff stole the other two. Against SJ, like Detroit, they were brutally outshot and if it wasn't for Kiprusoff they would have been nearly swept. Look at the stats, most playoff games the Flames are lucky to crack 20 shots on goal and they continually give their opponents 40 shots or more a night. I don't think that's good play.

And what about the discipline issues? The 8 penalties they took in the 2nd period of game 3 or 4? This team grossly undereachieved for the 3rd straight year and it is because of their star power, namely Kiprusoff and Iginla, that they make the series' a lot closer than they actually were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
What did you want Sutter to say to the media then? I fail to see how Sutter did anything wrong publically that ran him out of town.
I expect to do what he usually does, ignore the media and stonewall the fans from getting any information regarding the team other than the meaningless interviews they all give when they spout cliches. Actually, I don't care what he says but don't pump up the guy as a top player and deny you're going to deal him to Montreal and then go and deal him to Montreal. That's what I expect. Don't laugh at people for suggesting you might do what you eventually did. The media are a bunch of bloodsucking hounds but give them credit on this one, they got wind of Darryl's not so discreet efforts to deal him and knew exactly where he was going. And don't give me that he went to Montreal because he's Francophone. This summer was an anomaly with Laraques and Tanguay going to Montreal, normally high profile or top Quebecois player avoid the Montreal spotlight like the plague.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
OvetchkinSOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
I didn't say he couldn't handle it. Anyone using that excuse for Huselius though is out to lunch.
You just said that in your last post

OvetchkinSOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Treliving The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiganticSnake View Post
I still don't see what Nolan did so wonderfully well. He had 1 point more than Huselius.

You probably also ignore the fact that Huselius assisted on 2 of Nolan's 3 goals. The first one was a backhand shot from Huselius where Nolan put the rebound into an empty net. The second was Huselius giving Nolan a breakaway from the red line. Those are some TOUGH goals to score. Huselius was TERRIBLE and Nolan FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ridiculous.

For Huselius to turn Nolan into a goalscorer of sorts is the very definition of supreme talent.
It isn't all about stats, especially in the playoffs.

Nolan brought a lot of toughness, leadership and grit to the Flames. Three things Huselius doesn't have, and three things you need in order to win.

Treliving The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY View Post
It isn't all about stats, especially in the playoffs.

Nolan brought a lot of toughness, leadership and grit to the Flames. Three things Huselius doesn't have, and three things you need in order to win.
I agree every time Nolan was on the ice during the playoffs he was contributing either it be a big goal or hit, Nolan showed up to play every game. Outside of some offensive glimpses Huselius was nowhere near the consistency we need form him at that level. Huselius was a great offensive threat but his consistancy is like magic mud; solid one minute and the next it's going down the drain.

I wish him the best though he seemed like a pretty good guy.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote