HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Detroit/N.Y.R Trade Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2004, 06:42 AM
RedWingRussian

vCash:
Detroit/N.Y.R Trade Proposal

Kovalev to Detroit
Hudler
2nd round pick for 2004 to N.Y.R.

Old
02-19-2004, 06:51 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingRussian
Kovalev to Detroit
Hudler

The Wings traded thier 2004 2nd rounder last season as part of the package for Schneider.

Old
02-19-2004, 07:01 AM
RedWingRussian

vCash:
Sorry that's right.Forget me

Old
02-19-2004, 07:04 AM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingRussian
Kovalev to Detroit
Hudler
Kronwall and 1st?

Old
02-19-2004, 07:09 AM
KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
Kronwall and 1st?
throw in simon

Old
02-19-2004, 11:53 AM
PigPen

...Do the wings even need Kovalev?

Old
02-19-2004, 01:54 PM
KM

yes. yzerman should not be counted on for top 6 minutes.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:45 PM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM
throw in simon
Oh go on then.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:47 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen

You will really like him there.
Everyone struggles in New York.
I'll be so happy if he comes back to Pittsburgh.

Old
02-19-2004, 02:56 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Kronwall and 1st?
No way. Kronwall is as close to being untouchable as anyone on the Wings roster. He has shown he is going to be a great defensemen and add to the fact that we are very shallow in the water of defensemen prospects.

I'd do the first deal.

Old
02-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Kronwall and 1st?

for a UFA in kovalev?

Old
02-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
He's what we need. Whether we get him now and resign him before he's a UFA or wait and sign him when he is a UFA, we need a guy like him. Kovalev is flashy and is exactly the type of guy we need to help replace fedorov, and him with datsyuk or zetterberg for a few years would be brutal against other teams. Hull is a ufa as well, and i think kovalev could be a good replacement for hull, since hull isnt having a great year and will likely get offered a smaller contract, he may just leave.

Anyway... id love to see kovalev here in detroit...

Old
02-19-2004, 03:55 PM
dats-13

Det: ( One of: Kopecky, Backar), 2005 2nd
NYR: Kovalev

note - NYR pay none of Kovalev's salary

thoughts? more/less?

Old
02-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13

thoughts? more/less?
Kovalev doesn't have a lot left on his contract and is a UFA at the end of the season.

But why would the Wings do this? Scoring isn't the problem, I was under the impression that Detroit would like to ad grit.

I think that Detroit has made all of the moves it will make this season w/ Hatcher, Whitney, and Thomas. I don't see them adding anything, unless it is to keep if from another team.

Old
02-19-2004, 04:03 PM
dats-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Kovalev doesn't have a lot left on his contract and is a UFA at the end of the season.

But why would the Wings do this? Scoring isn't the problem, I was under the impression that Detroit would like to ad grit.

I think that Detroit has made all of the moves it will make this season w/ Hatcher, Whitney, and Thomas. I don't see them adding anything, unless it is to keep if from another team.
a pre-playoff acqusition in Kovalev would show the team that we want it this year, management is willing to work for it, are you guys?

plus, with Master Cujo in net, more scoring=more chances...we need all the help we can get if we hit a hot goalie...(Voukon)

We could add grit, we should add grit, but Holland obviously isn't going to make a move for a physical player, and with Hatcher coming back, that's a lot of grit

Old
02-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM
yes. yzerman should not be counted on for top 6 minutes.
Yzerman plays top 6 minutes because he still plays like a top 6 forward. You have to watch him every night to really appreciate what he does these days. It doesnt show on the scoresheet with quite the frequency it once did, but he is still a top guy on the Wings team.

Old
02-19-2004, 11:24 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Yzerman plays top 6 minutes because he still plays like a top 6 forward. You have to watch him every night to really appreciate what he does these days. It doesnt show on the scoresheet with quite the frequency it once did, but he is still a top guy on the Wings team.
I agree. Yzerman is showing some jump and looking pretty good on the ice. I think he'll be a pleasant surprise come playoff time.

I very much doubt we'd bring in another right winger, we're stacked at that position. We need a center. IMO, Kovalev wouldn't make sense espeically with how he's struggled this year. Maybe sign him as a UFA if we lose Hull or Homer, or Steve retires, but I wouldn't bring him here as a rent-a-player via trade.

Old
02-20-2004, 12:10 AM
NYR469

i wouldn't look at it as yzerman not being able to handle top 6 minutes because you know that when it gets to playoff time yzerman will turn it up a notch and get the job done...

the more important question for the red wings is do they have the fire power to match the avs if they end up facing each other...the wings are better defensively, but if the wings felt they didn't matchup well up front against the avs that would be the #1 reason to want to add someone like kovalev (and of course if they feel that they match up well, then they don't need to make the deal)

Old
02-20-2004, 01:05 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
i wouldn't look at it as yzerman not being able to handle top 6 minutes because you know that when it gets to playoff time yzerman will turn it up a notch and get the job done...

the more important question for the red wings is do they have the fire power to match the avs if they end up facing each other...the wings are better defensively, but if the wings felt they didn't matchup well up front against the avs that would be the #1 reason to want to add someone like kovalev (and of course if they feel that they match up well, then they don't need to make the deal)
Well, it has been proven time and time again that firepower is not the most important thing, come playoff time. Defense and goaltending win Cups. I think the Wings have a small edge over the Avs in that department, especially when Hatcher comes back.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:05 PM
BLACKBURN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats-13

thoughts? more/less?
No way. A pick that will be fifty something and a prospect that will likely never make the NHL for a guy of Kovalevs calibre. I think another team would pay a LOT more.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:23 PM
Boomhower

The Wings forwards are atrocious defensively, Maltby and Draper (sometimes Yzerman) are the only exception. I don't think it will make Detroit better to add a player like Kovalev..... Streaky and soft offensive scorer's are already plentiful in Detroit. The Wings need to add a solid two way forward or atleast a scorer that can bring some toughness and physicality on the forecheck.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower
The Wings forwards are atrocious defensively, Maltby and Draper (sometimes Yzerman) are the only exception. I don't think it will make Detroit better to add a player like Kovalev..... Streaky and soft offensive scorer's are already plentiful in Detroit. The Wings need to add a solid two way forward or atleast a scorer that can bring some toughness and physicality on the forecheck.
Sometimes Yzerman? He is a Selke Trophy winner. I think its safe to say that he is very repsonsible defensively. And the Wings forwards as a whole aren't "atrocious". Some are better than others, but the Wings have made their living by being responsible in thier own end. They tried to run and gun thier way to the Cup, and it didnt work. For the past 6-7 years the Wings have been a pretty solid 2-way team.

That being said, I would like them to add a big, physical forward to play on the 3rd or 4th line. Kovalev would be nice, but he doesnt really fill thier need, IMO.

Old
02-20-2004, 01:50 PM
kazo

One thing the Rangers don't need is a guy like Hudler. They already have enough wingers who stand five foot nothin'.

Old
02-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Sometimes Yzerman? He is a Selke Trophy winner. I think its safe to say that he is very repsonsible defensively. And the Wings forwards as a whole aren't "atrocious".
Yes, Sometimes Yzerman.
He has a great mind and knows better than almost anyone in the league where he needs to be positioned for defensive support, but on some nights his skating (or Knees) won't allow him to get to where he knows he needs to be...... His skating now can't be compared to '99/'00. But like I said on some nights he can still manage.

The Wings are 2nd in the league in goals for and 13th in the league in goals against.

The defense doesn't need fixing and the goaltending situation isn't going to change, so the best way(only way?) to tighten things up defensively is to add some forwards who are tough defensively. Holmstrom, Whitney, Datsyuk, Hull, Zetterberg, McCarty and Shannahan aren't great in their own end.

Old
02-20-2004, 03:17 PM
KM

the only one who can be classified as "atrocious" is holmstrom, but he's tenacious and doesn't float.

datsyuk is average (but he's learning rapidly.) hull is slow but everything he does in his own zone is effective. shanahan is lazy and doesn't do much during the regular season but you won't see him floating in his own zone in games that matter. zetterberg didn't get his accolades for putting up 40pts. whitney looks lost sometimes but i see far worse on other teams every game i see. he's quick enough so that it doesn't stand out. mccarty is fine defensively, just slow. the list goes on..

the overall lack of speed, combined with how aggressively they'll commit players into the offensive zone, might give the appearance of poor defense overall, but it's really not true. they don't play conservatively.

Closed Thread