HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Most Overrated Player

View Poll Results: Who is the most overrated?
Rick Nash 13 12.15%
Dany Heatley 4 3.74%
Jeff Carter 21 19.63%
Chris Higgins 26 24.30%
Anze Kopitar 2 1.87%
Alexander Frolov 4 3.74%
Other (Include in reply) 37 34.58%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2008, 08:30 AM
RedLeader

vCash: 700
Evgeni Nabakov. He had no buisiness getting nominated for Vezina. He's save % was average at best on a very good team. People who wanted him to win over Broduer was laughable.

RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Shoalzie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Going with Zetterberg myself, now that I think about it.

*waits for someone to say "how can someone who won the Conn Smythe be overrated?"*

The guy plays well at both ends of the ice...what makes him overrated? Is he not one of the most complete players in the league? He's not offensively as dominant as Ovechkin or Crosby or Malkin but he's very skilled. Defensively, how many first line forwards can go head-to-head against another star and neutralize them with their defensive play? Sure, Datsyuk and Zetterberg benefit from having Lidstrom out there to help them but as far as defensive forwards are concerned, I can't think of many who are better than him.

If someone thinks he's the best player in the world right now, then he would considered overrated. But he is one of the better players in the league right now.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Montreal Shadow

How is a perenial 50-goal scorer overrated?

Add Zetterberg to the poll.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danavan View Post
fixed

i voted for nash b/c he's had one season over 57 points and it was only 69. He has plenty of potential, and if e played wth some good linemates he would put up more, but for the moment he is somewhat overrated IMO.
Please get out of here. Komisarek and Regehr are way overrated. Habs and Flames fans make them out to be the second comming of a Bobby Orr.

Cogliano13Gagner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Please get out of here. Komisarek and Regehr are way overrated. Habs and Flames fans make them out to be the second comming of a Bobby Orr.
Huh what? I think both are top shutdown D's but that's about it. Komisarek is physical and can neutralize pretty much anyone but won't go in the offensive rush. Regher is excellent and a very intelligent shutdown defenseman too. I don't know if he's as physical as Komisarek but defensively he's better. How are these two overrated? Second coming of Bobby Orr? We think Komisarek is good, but no one would keep him instead of Markov. I don't think you think that Markov is considered the second coming of Orr, he's a top 10Dman and that's it. Nothing to jump off a cliff.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Huh what? I think both are top shutdown D's but that's about it. Komisarek is physical and can neutralize pretty much anyone but won't go in the offensive rush. Regher is excellent and a very intelligent shutdown defenseman too. I don't know if he's as physical as Komisarek but defensively he's better. How are these two overrated? Second coming of Bobby Orr? We think Komisarek is good, but no one would keep him instead of Markov. I don't think you think that Markov is considered the second coming of Orr, he's a top 10Dman and that's it. Nothing to jump off a cliff.
I could think of over 35 defensemen that I rather have then them.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Other: Jason Spezza.

You often wonder if he's even playing, his game is incomplete and we need him to deliver 8 million worth every single game, especially in the playoffs.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
I could think of over 35 defensemen that I rather have then them.
I'm sure you could and since I watch him play 82-games a season and don't see any other D's as much I surely wouldn't list 35D man I would put above him. I doubt you've seen much of him but we never know. Ignorance is a key factor as to why some deem a player as overrated.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
I'm sure you could and since I watch him play 82-games a season and don't see any other D's as much I surely wouldn't list 35D man I would put above him. I doubt you've seen much of him but we never know. Ignorance is a key factor as to why some deem a player as overrated.
I'm from Montreal. I see Komisarek play almost as often as you.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

He's a good player but he is way over hyped.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Going with Zetterberg myself, now that I think about it.

*waits for someone to say "how can someone who won the Conn Smythe be overrated?"*
how can a guy who scored 92 points in 75 games AND is a selke finalist AND is only being pay 2.5 mil be overrated?

no hes not the best player in the league but in no way shape or form is he overrated.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Cogliano13Gagner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
how can a guy who scored 92 points in 75 games AND is a selke finalist AND is only being pay 2.5 mil be overrated?

no hes not the best player in the league but in no way shape or form is he overrated.
yeah I see where your going with the salary but at the time, when he signed the contract he was worth only 2 or 3 million. His contract is up after this year. He will make over 7 million for sure.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
He's a good player but he is way over hyped.
In Montreal yes, pretty much every team overrate their best players. You as an Oiler fan is guilty of that crime. Not saying you do it but your fellow Oilers home boys do it a lot. Komisarek isn't very well known in the rest of the league as he's not a star who racks up tons of points. If anything, the other teams view him as a solid Defensive D who would be great on the 2nd pair but that's just it. League-wide Zetterberg is now considered better than Joe Thornton and equal to Iginla because of one great season with the top team in the league.

Old
08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post

Some people think he is, lol..

Underrated has to be Datsyuk at this point in time, he's better.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogge4Life View Post
None of those players are overrated. I might be crazy but I think the Sedins are overrated.
OT But I live like five minutes away from Kenny and Spennys house. I always see those two retards fighting each other in Riverdale park

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
How?

Whoever these peope are, I haven't met them. Not once have I heard one single person relate Lecavalier, Spezza, Thornton and Staal.

Have you ever heard of the saying "there's one born every minute"?

22.14, which he accomplished as a rookie. Granted, that's a pretty damn good shooting percentage, but guys like Petr Prucha and Mark Parrish have been among the league leaguers in that category. All it really means is that they don't take 400 shots every season like Ovechkin.

I'm sure you're going to say this is me overrating him, but how can you say he's only gonna be good for 20 goals a year? He scored 29 as an 18 year old. Are you saying his career upside is tapped out after only his second NHL season?

Seems to me that you're underrating him a bit.
im not saying staal will never break 29 goals again... im talking about what he will do consistently through his career

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
The OP has a personal grudge against Kopitar.

This thread is horrible.
No I just put him up there because he is a normal Top 10 center in the league to everyone else and to Kings fans he is the second comming of christ

And many Kings fans think Frolov is a better player than one of Spezza, Heatley or Alfredsson so that is why I put him on the poll

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:08 PM
0ilerman
The King

I'm not sure that any of these guys are over-rater or under-rated. I think the public opinion on these guys is fairly accurate.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
yeah I see where your going with the salary but at the time, when he signed the contract he was worth only 2 or 3 million. His contract is up after this year. He will make over 7 million for sure.
im not sure if he will, i know he can make over 7 mil if he wanted to but i think if he plays with hossa and might realize how nice it is to have someone that awesome on the other wing with him and might take a pay cut, not to get hossa but possibly a downgraded version

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
The neon poof - Dion Phaneuf!

He is HELLA overrated.
Here Here!!! Most overrated player in at least a decade.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Other: Jason Spezza.

You often wonder if he's even playing, his game is incomplete and we need him to deliver 8 million worth every single game, especially in the playoffs.
Just shut it, SFD. You give us Sens fans a bad name saying these things.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:33 PM
spoon*

This thread is horrible.

Half the players listed are the exact opposite of their given meaning.

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Rick Nash, the "superstar" who can't break 70 points as a forward. His entire reputation is based around:

1. Finishing in a 3-way tie for the goal-scoring lead when he was 19 or whatever (as if his age when that happened matters at all as more and more years go by) during one of the lowest goal-scoring seasons ever. Moreover, his ridiculous goals-to-assists ratio suggests it was partly a fluke and unlikely to be replicated, in the same manner as Jordan Staal's rookie year.

2. Putting up good statistics in 2nd-rate international tournaments against 2nd rate competition, playing with non-NHL rules. This of course is where Nash fanboys always go to "prove" that he would dominate if he played with other star players (or they use the All-Star Game, hahaha). A few problems:

-The World Championships are not the same thing as the NHL, and many players do better in one than they do in the other, for various reasons.

-The one time Nash got to play with and against full teams of elite players, in Torino, he stunk. In fact, he was arguably the worst player on his team.

-Plenty of real superstars (Ovechkin, Crosby, Kovalchuk, etc.) have shown the ability to produce with little or no supporting cast. But apparently Nash is the only player to whom this excuse applies.

3. His size and nationality make him a "power forward" which everyone seems to blow their loads over for no apparently substantive reason (playoff failures and emotional meltdowns, huzzah!). This is the only reason he doesn't get compared to someone like Peter Bondra (well, that and the fact that Bondra was actually good for 50 goals sometimes).

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
IvanMalison

Zetterberg is definitely a great player, but after his conn smythe performance he has become way overrated.

IvanMalison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Phaneuf.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote