HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

The Most Overrated Player

View Poll Results: Who is the most overrated?
Rick Nash 13 12.15%
Dany Heatley 4 3.74%
Jeff Carter 21 19.63%
Chris Higgins 26 24.30%
Anze Kopitar 2 1.87%
Alexander Frolov 4 3.74%
Other (Include in reply) 37 34.58%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2008, 02:08 AM
edd1e

vCash: 500
Phaneuf

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:32 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damannnnaa View Post
Sundin has hit 70+ points since 1996 (the only reason he didn't hit it the year before was he was uncharacteristically injured). Only TWO years in his career has he hit less than 70 points actually, and one was his rookie year, the other he only played in 47 games (and had 47 points).

Can somebody please tell me how this can possibly be considered as overrated? If overrated means one of the most (if not the most) consistent players in the current NHL year after year playing at a very high level-then yes you're absolutely right.
Look up the '95 season.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Phaneuf

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 07:20 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
And yes I can't quite remember the name of the thread but some Kings fans said that because Frolov is so good defensively they would take him over Spezza or Heatley not Alfie though, I guess you guys aren't too (Fill in the blank)
I don't remember which thread either, but same people were arguing that if Ottawa acquired Frolov, that he would arguably be one of Ottawa's top 3 forwards, implying he was better than Spezza.

It was some trading thread...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswillwinthecup View Post
Wow, you watch a grand total of four Kings' games a year where you used to live. I'm impressed.

And you obviously don't know a thing about any Kings' player considering you think Kopitar and Frolov are overrated. If anything, they don't get enough attention because they play on a west coast, non-playoff team. If either played for the Senators, they'd be superstars. Especially Kopitar.
What I am getting at here is Kopitar and Frolov are extremely overrated by Kings' fans, everyone else seems pretty fine when I comes to Frolov maybe even Kopitar but L.A fans are so passionate they think that their players are worth the world

And that is a compliment

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Look up the '95 season.
Crap the first lockout issue totally slipped my mind haha. Oh well I think the numbers still speak for themselves.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Danadiens

Dion Phaneuf

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogliano13Gagner89 View Post
Do you ever even watch the Sens play? The guy is arguably the hardest working player in the league. He does absolutely everything for the Sens. He can score, pass, skate, defend and kill penalties....Alfredsson is underrated not overrated. And when people say that Spezza and Heatley are the best players on the Sens, there wrong. It's Alfredsson. I wish the Oilers had a player half of what Alfredsson is.
And sens fans wish Heatley and Spezza were half the player Danny Alfie is.

Zetterberg/Datsyuk ...Detroits awsome system and amazing defence make them look better.

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

This is gonna be interesting. Calling another team's star overrated...Dare I do it!?!?

SeNaToR PhIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson View Post
And sens fans wish Heatley and Spezza were half the player Danny Alfie is.

Zetterberg/Datsyuk ...Detroits awsome system and amazing defence make them look better.
Eh... I would take Spezza on my team before Alfredsson, I would take Heatley after Spezza but before Alfredsson.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damannnnaa View Post
Sundin has hit 70+ points since 1996 (the only reason he didn't hit it the year before was he was uncharacteristically injured). Only TWO years in his career has he hit less than 70 points actually, and one was his rookie year, the other he only played in 47 games (and had 47 points).

Can somebody please tell me how this can possibly be considered as overrated? If overrated means one of the most (if not the most) consistent players in the current NHL year after year playing at a very high level-then yes you're absolutely right.
Hes a solid 70-80 point player. Not a fricken 110 point player leafs fans make him out to be.

Old
08-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Eh... I would take Spezza on my team before Alfredsson, I would take Heatley after Spezza but before Alfredsson.
How many Sens games have you watched?

Old
08-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
How many Sens games have you watched?
I'm a Montreal fan, not only do I see them play at least 8 full games against Montreal, I see them multiple times on RIS, watching their games on other channels. I would say around 60 games a year. Around 20-25 full games a season.

Old
08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
I'm a Montreal fan, not only do I see them play at least 8 full games against Montreal, I see them multiple times on RIS, watching their games on other channels. I would say around 60 games a year. Around 20-25 full games.
40g-50g, 100 point forward whose also one of the best leaders in the nhl throw in hisSelke calibre defence.

orr

30-40 goal 100 point player with great vision and hands(alfie has that too).

Actually could you tell me why you would like Spezza instead of Alfie?

Old
08-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
40g-50g, 100 point forward whose also one of the best leaders in the nhl throw in hisSelke calibre defence.

orr

I doubt that Alfredsson is a 100pts player without a center such as Spezza. I mean, he's a great player but I don't think it's a coincidence that his best season jumped from 80 to 103 the exact season where Spezza arrived. Not knocking him off but honestly, I really don't think he's a 100pts player without a premiere center. He would be a solid 75-85pts player and still great defensively. Spezza is an elite playmaker, saying his presence doesn't influence Alfredsson's plays is being completely wrong in my opinion.

Heatley, well. I don't need to say what I think. He's just a deadly sniper with a great size and great skills. I think he would still be a 50-goal scorer even without Spezza. After all, he did put 41goals in Atlanta didn't he? Also, I know it's not really relevant but we saw him the the World Championships, he still has his lethal shot and his game doesn't drop at all. You can pit him with anyone and I think he'll still get the job done.

Alfredsson is still the best player for Ottawa though, he's the captain, he's there to lead everyone in the right direction, he steps up when everyone is down, he brings an elite defensive game along with an elite offensive game. I think all these factors and much much more makes him more valuable in Ottawa than Heatley or Spezza. If I had to choose one of them to come to Montreal, I would choose Spezza first, then Heatley, then Alfredsson. If I am in Ottawa and I must keep one for the upcoming season, I stick with Alfredsson.

Spezza is what we need in Montreal, a young big center with elite skills along with a great vision. We don't have our legit first line center and Spezza would fill that role perfectly. Heatley comes second because we would love to have such a great scorer in Montreal. Ryder had value and he was a 30-goal socrer, Heatley is 50-50, he can score a lot and sets up teammates, not only that, but he isn't small and would add toughness to the team. Alfredsson is much older and we already have great leaders in the teams and enough depth at the wings position.

Old
08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
I doubt that Alfredsson is a 100pts player without a center such as Spezza. I mean, he's a great player but I don't think it's a coincidence that his best season jumped from 80 to 103 the exact season where Spezza arrived. Not knocking him off but honestly, I really don't think he's a 100pts player without a premiere center. He would be a solid 75-85pts player and still great defensively. Spezza is an elite playmaker, saying his presence doesn't influence Alfredsson's plays is being completely wrong in my opinion.

Heatley, well. I don't need to say what I think. He's just a deadly sniper with a great size and great skills. I think he would still be a 50-goal scorer even without Spezza. After all, he did put 41goals in Atlanta didn't he? Also, I know it's not really relevant but we saw him the the World Championships, he still has his lethal shot and his game doesn't drop at all. You can pit him with anyone and I think he'll still get the job done.

Alfredsson is still the best player for Ottawa though, he's the captain, he's there to lead everyone in the right direction, he steps up when everyone is down, he brings an elite defensive game along with an elite offensive game. I think all these factors and much much more makes him more valuable in Ottawa than Heatley or Spezza. If I had to choose one of them to come to Montreal, I would choose Spezza first, then Heatley, then Alfredsson. If I am in Ottawa and I must keep one for the upcoming season, I stick with Alfredsson.
Fair enough... But let me tell you alfies 100 points came in the new nhl where alot of players posted their best years. Also any sens fan would tell you Spezza and Heatley leech more of Alfie than the other way around ...Alfredsson is also the better playoff performer.. Spmething Montreal could really benefit from ... and how come Alfie had the better ppg this season? Alos he got 80 points with with Bonk and White centering him.

Old
08-12-2008, 08:40 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:

orr

Ok. this is where your getting to overrating him

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Ok. this is where your getting to overrating him
What the fifty goals? He was on pace before injuries sidelined him.

Old
08-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Fair enough... But let me tell you alfies 100 points came in the new nhl where alot of players posted their best years. Also any sens fan would tell you Spezza and Heatley leech more of Alfie than the other way around ...Alfredsson is also the better playoff performer.. Spmething Montreal could really benefit from ... and how come Alfie had the better ppg this season? Alos he got 80 points with with Bonk and White centering him.
You're right on this one. Alfredsson might be able to hit 95-100pts without Spezza but in my opinion it's really if Alfredsson has a career year and I don't think he would do that regularly.

Alfredsson is the captain of the team, obviously he's the guy to follow. They all benefit from each other, I don't want to knock them off because they have a great chemistry. I simply said what I thought if Alfredsson was seperated from Spezza, you can have a different opinon that still holds as much weight as mine. I can't really prove that Alfredsson's pts total would indeed drop if ever Spezza had to leave Ottawa.

What really tips the balance is the age factor, I just can't ignore the fact that Spezza is just 25 and already had seasons that could have easily been of 100pts+ had he stayed healthy. He's 10years younger than Alfredsson, bigger(although not as tough) and plays a position that Montreal would benefit a lot. Spezza on the first line, Plekanec on the second, Koivu on the third and Lapierre on the 4th would be a dream in Montreal. That's what the organization has been searching for these past few years, a top line center with a great size, great skills and great vision. Spezza is all Montreal wants minus the toughness(he can work on it though).

His playoffs performances are pretty good too, so are Alfredsson's but I think that the age factor and the position he plays tip the balance a little more. I just see Spezza being a top 5 player once he enters his prime(I think he's already top 10), he still has much to learn and has room for improvement. He still makes mistakes due to his young age but I would take him over pretty much anyone not named Crosby or Ovechkin. In his prime I can see him being a Joe Thornton caliber player without his game dropping in the playoffs. Elite playermaker 40-80-120, solid defensive game, a PPG in the playoffs.

Yes, Spezza is my favourite player in the league.

I still fail to see why Heatley is in this poll and not Zetterberg.

Old
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
Mike Mottau

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Luongofan

Quote:
So would I.

Quote:

orr

How much times did he reach 100? One? Wow, that is so good, way better than Heatley getting back-to-back + back-to-back 50 goals.
But yes, he is amazing at defense.

Quote:
You're right on this one. Alfredsson might be able to hit 95-100pts without Spezza but in my opinion it's really if Alfredsson has a career year and I don't think he would do that regularly.

Alfredsson is the captain of the team, obviously he's the guy to follow. They all benefit from each other, I don't want to knock them off because they have a great chemistry. I simply said what I thought if Alfredsson was seperated from Spezza, you can have a different opinon that still holds as much weight as mine. I can't really prove that Alfredsson's pts total would indeed drop if ever Spezza had to leave Ottawa.

What really tips the balance is the age factor, I just can't ignore the fact that Spezza is just 25 and already had seasons that could have easily been of 100pts+ had he stayed healthy. He's 10years younger than Alfredsson, bigger(although not as tough) and plays a position that Montreal would benefit a lot. Spezza on the first line, Plekanec on the second, Koivu on the third and Lapierre on the 4th would be a dream in Montreal. That's what the organization has been searching for these past few years, a top line center with a great size, great skills and great vision. Spezza is all Montreal wants minus the toughness(he can work on it though).

His playoffs performances are pretty good too, so are Alfredsson's but I think that the age factor and the position he plays tip the balance a little more. I just see Spezza being a top 5 player once he enters his prime(I think he's already top 10), he still has much to learn and has room for improvement. He still makes mistakes due to his young age but I would take him over pretty much anyone not named Crosby or Ovechkin. In his prime I can see him being a Joe Thornton caliber player without his game dropping in the playoffs. Elite playermaker 40-80-120, solid defensive game, a PPG in the playoffs.

I still fail to see why Heatley is in this poll and not Zetterberg.
Totally right. Spezza's my favourite player too.
btw, Phaneuf way overrated

Luongofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Whaawa what?

A Habs fan who's favorite player in the NHL is Jason Spezza, one of the most hated players in Montreal?

This is a more rare sight than Gerber winning a Vezina

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Hes a solid 70-80 point player. Not a fricken 110 point player leafs fans make him out to be.
He's 37 years old and plays with and has played with crappy wingers his whole career

He doesnt play with Spezza and Heatley you know

70-80 points on a Leafs team is pretty darn good

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
He's 37 years old and plays with and has played with crappy wingers his whole career

He doesnt play with Spezza and Heatley you know

70-80 points on a Leafs team is pretty darn good
Alfredsson also played with crappy teamates pre lockout. Yuo dont hear Sens fasn complaining.
And Sundin had good teamates and moginley actually outproduced Mats.

Old
08-12-2008, 11:00 PM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Alfredsson also played with crappy teamates pre lockout. Yuo dont hear Sens fasn complaining.
And Sundin had good teamates and moginley actually outproduced Mats.
Mogilny you mean?

That's for one season

What did he do when he left To and wasn't with Mats anymore?

Alfie has never been as consistent as Mats

Suddenly the last couple of years his stats went up, I'm not saying hes not good,just dont deny hes a much better player with Spezza and Heatley around him

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote