HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Everything Mats Sundin Thread

Old
08-20-2008, 12:17 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
one more time:

we have 2 mil in cap space.

dumping prucha makes it 3.6, dumping riss or voros makes it 4.6

4.6 plus 2-3 in reasonably attainable incentives is enough to get a deal done.

once the cba is renewed we'll be able to offer such a deal.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Turambar

Eklund think so, too:

Quote:
A source informed me early this morning that he believes all is set for Mats to become a NYR and that a deal has been worked out regarding players to be moved to open up cap space. Now there looks to be two stumbling blocks.

Mats deciding to play is one of the blocks of course...the other is the NHLPA saying they will extend the contract with the NHL (what appears to be a certainty and looks to be happening around September 15th).

When the NHLPA decides to do this the NHL will lift the current restraints that don't allow teams to put in age incentive bonus that would take them over the cap legally. This is also believed to be the hold up with the signings of Selanne and Shanahan.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16525

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 12:39 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
I'm glad it's Eklund so I don't have to get pissed.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Where has it been said that this agreement between the league and the PA will be "happening around 9/15"? Has he linked a media source in the past, or is this just another piece of information from an unnamed "source"?

HotRock, since your is the only plausible solution to this very unrealistic situation, I'm going to say the chance to earn as little as $4.6M with an untested team is not enough to make someone to postpone their retirement or turn down a contract worth 4 times as much, unless Mats has some kind of undying love for the city of New York or the Rangers. If that's true, he's done a helluva job hiding it for the past 2 decades and has certainly changed his tune from last April when he refused to drop his NMC for the potential to come to a Ranger team on a possible Cup room.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Pogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Where has it been said that this agreement between the league and the PA will be "happening around 9/15"? Has he linked a media source in the past, or is this just another piece of information from an unnamed "source"?

HotRock, since your is the only plausible solution to this very unrealistic situation, I'm going to say the chance to earn as little as $4.6M with an untested team is not enough to make someone to postpone their retirement or turn down a contract worth 4 times as much, unless Mats has some kind of undying love for the city of New York or the Rangers. If that's true, he's done a helluva job hiding it for the past 2 decades and has certainly changed his tune from last April when he refused to drop his NMC for the potential to come to a Ranger team on a possible Cup room.
Wow, that was possibly the most well thought out reply in the history of these boards. Bravo MJ.

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 01:37 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
too bad, JP Barry already said he is on vacation without a cellphone for a week. so silly Eklund, so silly.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I'm sorry....seeing it on paper like that scares me. That is not the defense of a serious Cup contender. Don't forget that we traded Tyutin. Yeah Backman too, but that's no big deal.

Redden: a major question mark regarding his ability to play in the post lockout NHL.

Mara: lost his job in the top 6 rotation last year.

Kalinin: talented but injuries are a problem.

Seeing it on paper makes me realize even more how much we need Rozy.

We need to maximize Henrik's abilities (and he is the heart of the team) by surrounding him with the best defense corp possible. Right now, that means Roszival.

Are you for real? The only reason Mara lost his spot is because he was injured.

And who says Redden is a question mark in the post lockout NHL? Your sure as hell no expert, no one here is. Kalinen is the least talented Dman of the 3 and you give him the most credit?

08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
too bad, JP Barry already said he is on vacation without a cellphone for a week. so silly Eklund, so silly.
I actually trust JP Barry even less than Eklund.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

Quote:

Wait wait wait.. Can you honestly tell me fore sure that he refused waive the NMC? Or perhaps the only teams he would move them for Toronto asked for way to much in return? No one knows if he said he will waive the NMC for the Rangers and then the Rangers said no because they were asking for Dubinsky Anisimov and 2nd or something to that extent because it was reported that the asking price for Sundin would be very high...

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Macke*

Yup, no decision from Sundin this week.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
one more time:

we have 2 mil in cap space.

dumping prucha makes it 3.6, dumping riss or voros makes it 4.6

4.6 plus 2-3 in reasonably attainable incentives is enough to get a deal done.

once the cba is renewed we'll be able to offer such a deal.
Every report that said 2 million is probably just going by nhlnumbers. If you've seen Kodiak's salary cap thread you'd know $462k is a more realistic cap space number right now. adding in the fact that incentives count against this years cap, a deal will be much tougher to work out than just moving spare parts.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Are you for real? The only reason Mara lost his spot is because he was injured.

And who says Redden is a question mark in the post lockout NHL? Your sure as hell no expert, no one here is. Kalinen is the least talented Dman of the 3 and you give him the most credit?
Hey man, trying doing some research before you spout your information: if you do some time reading newspapers from Ottawa, they all say the same thing: the gist of Redden's problem is that he has lost some quickness...whereas he was able to dominate in the pre-lock out NHL, the quicker pace of the new league has caused him increasing problems. I would think those in Ottawa are more knowing than you.

As for Mara, who I happen to like, even after he returned from his injury he couldn't make it back into the lineup on a regular basis. Renney is evidently not the biggest fan, and the Rangers only signed him after they found themselves short on defense this summer figuring it was better to go with a familiar face who understands the system. It seems at times last year, Struds was preferred over Mara.

As for Kalinin, I remain a doubter. He IS talented but his injuries have hurt. Guess, if no one here is an expert, you certainly are not either.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Hmmmm funny, I seem to remember reading that the Rangers were the ONLY team he would lift his NMC for. I think Mats wants NY and I know Sather wants Mats....it's only a matter of time. And as another poster said before, I'm not sure who is more full of BS, this Eklund guy or Sundin's agent.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Hey man, trying doing some research before you spout your information: if you do some time reading newspapers from Ottawa, they all say the same thing: the gist of Redden's problem is that he has lost some quickness...whereas he was able to dominate in the pre-lock out NHL, the quicker pace of the new league has caused him increasing problems. I would think those in Ottawa are more knowing than you.

As for Mara, who I happen to like, even after he returned from his injury he couldn't make it back into the lineup on a regular basis. Renney is evidently not the biggest fan, and the Rangers only signed him after they found themselves short on defense this summer figuring it was better to go with a familiar face who understands the system. It seems at times last year, Struds was preferred over Mara.

As for Kalinin, I remain a doubter. He IS talented but his injuries have hurt. Guess, if no one here is an expert, you certainly are not either.
Mara reminds me a bit of Malakhov. HUGE heavy shot.......you know it's a hard shot cause you hear how loud it bangs off the backboards when he misses the net all the time, just like Vlad. He also is a big man who really doesn't use his size in the right way. I don't know........did he sign with us cause he wanted to stay or was there just not much interest from around the league?

Old
08-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Hmmmm funny, I seem to remember reading that the Rangers were the ONLY team he would lift his NMC for. I think Mats wants NY and I know Sather wants Mats....it's only a matter of time. And as another poster said before, I'm not sure who is more full of BS, this Eklund guy or Sundin's agent.
hmmm, funny, Mats even said that he wont waive his NMC to any team, because he wants to finish the season as a Maple Leaf, and that he is a Torontonian(it was in the papers). You act as if Mats already has his Rangers jersey ready. the guy doesnt even know if he's going to retire or come back.

Old
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
You keep saying that but it doesn't make any sense. Who are you putting into the category of '1st pair defenders'? Lidstrom? Chara? Phaneuf? Pronger? Yeah. That's not 1st pair defenders, that's elite defenders.

Rozsival has had good stats 3 seasons in a row, on the first pair, and has played it wonderfully with minimal mistakes after being a 3rd pair guy pre-lockout. Rozsival is a first pairing defenseman, who would probably play even better as a 3rd or 4th, though (although we don't know how this would actually turn out - it's speculation).

Staal is ready for the first pair, he played it beautifully all last season while he was on the first pair.

Redden is a first pair defenseman by default. Old Redden or Redden from last season and two seasons ago is a first pair defenseman. Just because people have bad blunders, (Malik mainly), doesn't mean they aren't 1st pair defenders.

We have 3 legitimate 1st pair defenders with one of them itching to become one soon (Girardi).
So your saying if a team has no choice to play a guy out of position cause of a lack of better options he is a 1st pair guy? Does that mean Jeff Finger will be known as a 1st pair dman this year of he plays on the Leafs top pair??????

Old
08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Radek27

Quote:
hmmm, funny, Mats even said that he wont waive his NMC to any team, because he wants to finish the season as a Maple Leaf, and that he is a Torontonian(it was in the papers). You act as if Mats already has his Rangers jersey ready. the guy doesnt even know if he's going to retire or come back.

I have read multiple reports that he is working out. I know nobody here believes what they read, everyone is lying you to all!

Anywho, Sundin will be a Ranger before Oct 1st..........I just know it.

Old
08-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I actually trust JP Barry even less than Eklund.
How is that even possible. JP Barry is a shark in the agent world and plays his cards to make sure the pot is sweater for him and his player. That's his job. He's what he is.

That thing we call Eklund is a 30 year old hack in his parents basement posting idiotic rumblings from other web sites who doesn't have a job. He's the definition of a clown.

At least Barry is closer to the situation than Eklund wish he could be.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
How is that even possible. JP Barry is a shark in the agent world and plays his cards to make sure the pot is sweater for him and his player. That's his job. He's what he is.

That thing we call Eklund is a 30 year old hack in his parents basement posting idiotic rumblings from other web sites who doesn't have a job. He's the definition of a clown.

At least Barry is closer to the situation than Eklund wish he could be.
Ah, but who has more of a reason to lie about it? I think his agent does so I would believe Eklund more in this situation. Actually your believing 3 sources that say it's true compares to the one (Barry) who says it's not.

Old
08-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Gardner McKay
What a time

Quote:

Thats your problem right there, newspapers from Ottawa. When you have guys like Bruce Garroich writing for the Ottawa sun they lose all credibility, trust me Ive done my research.

Ottawa fans loathed Redden worse then anything Ive ever seen so I dont take much stock in what they are saying. There is no objectivity in what they are saying so I refuse to listen.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Macke*

Quote:

Yet he lives in Sweden

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Hmmmm funny, I seem to remember reading that the Rangers were the ONLY team he would lift his NMC for.
You remember wrong. Mats said that if he was to win a Stanley Cup, he'd want to do it by being with a team the whole year, right from training camp. He specifically said he wouldn't waive his NTC clause, not to go to any team.

Quote:
I think Mats wants NY and I know Sather wants Mats
So when did Sather tell you this?

Or is it possible that you're simply speculating based on your own opinion, and that you really don't know a thing more than any one of the rest of us?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Rover*

Quote:
It hasn't been said anywhere cause eklund is a year too early. The nhlpa has plenty of time to renew it and won't be in any rush and certainly won't make that decision this sept like eklund claims.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079

Quote:
For the purposes of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the 2008-09 season is considered the fourth and "final" year of the contract with the NHL Players' Association. That's because the NHLPA has a "re-opener" which would allow it to terminate the existing CBA as long as the PA provides notice to that effect 120 days before Sept. 15, 2009. If the NHLPA doesn't exercise its "re-opener" the contract would be extended for another two years after this season.

But the important distinction is that until that matter is officially resolved - probably not until well into this coming season or even after it - the 2008-09 is technically regarded as the final year of the CBA. And it could be, we will see.

Why does that matter?

Because there is a clause in the CBA that says in the final year of the contract - this one coming up - there is no provision permitted for the Performance Bonus Cushion.

And what exactly does that mean and why should we care?

Basically, the performance bonus "cushion" allows teams to exceed the salary cap number if it's on earned performance bonuses and defer it against the next year's salary cap. Now, this season, that cannot happen.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
It hasn't been said anywhere cause eklund is a year too early. The nhlpa has plenty of time to renew it and won't be in any rush and certainly won't make that decision this sept like eklund claims.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079
haha Eklund, what a meathead.

Old
08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Nich

Quote:
Mara reminds me a bit of Malakhov. HUGE heavy shot.......you know it's a hard shot cause you hear how loud it bangs off the backboards when he misses the net all the time, just like Vlad. He also is a big man who really doesn't use his size in the right way. I don't know........did he sign with us cause he wanted to stay or was there just not much interest from around the league?

it was said he was offered more by a few teams....sooooo

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote