HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Everything Mats Sundin Thread

Old
10-23-2008, 11:51 PM
FromTheSide

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Only difference is Chelios actually WANTS to play. Yeah Sundin has been consistent, but at age 37 he is going to decline sooner rather than later. All I am saying is if they sign him do it short term. Every one is not like Barry Bonds
I didnt mean the "wanna play" factor i meant the body-built for hockey part lol.

Chelios is like a dinosaur haha.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Okay, this is coming from an Islander fan: are you on CRACK?

I hate your franchise, the player(s) and the fans. But to be naive in regards to the facts here are simply ridiculous. I'll be the first to say it, the Rangers bringing in Naslund and Redden to play primary roles was not such a good choice.

I'll also say this, from what I've seen through 9 or so games, thus far, the Rangers have been the measuring stick in EACH game. The Rangers took it to EACH team, each time, every night.

The Rangers are not only capable of doing damage in the playoffs, but the Rangers ARE going to do damage in the playoffs. My only real doubt here is the ability for Henrik Lundqvist to keep Vezina form for an entire year+ playoffs.

If he does, I'll be hiding under my couch for the month of May. The Rangers are a real candidate to bring back Lord Stanley this spring. How one could deny that, one of your own, is ridiculous IMO.

P.S - take it easy on us Monday night. Please?
The measuring stick in each game? No way.

Some of the games? Sure.

I think they were badly outplayed in the Buffalo game, I think they weren't particularly good in the Dallas game, and I think the two wins over Tampa were against a team that was very poorly prepared for the start of the season.

This team is all "ifs." IF Naslund can score, IF Drury can score, IF Dawes/Callahan/Prucha/Korpikoski/Fritsche/Sjostrom become offensive contributors. IF Zherdev can mature, IF Redden can be an impact player, IF Voros is more than an early-season fluke.

About the only sure things on this team are Brandon Dubinsky, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi and Blair Betts. No offense to the other three, but Dubinsky is the only one there that you know is going to light the lamp.

Fact of the matter is, this team lives and dies with Lundqvist. But as great as Henke is, there are a number of teams in the East that the Rangers just won't be able to hold to 1 or 2 goals every game in a seven game series. That won't mesh well with their own struggles to score three or more.

I think this team won't hold up against the Habs, the Pens, or the Devils. If the Flyers get their act together, them too. The Caps also, if Theodore plays well. Buffalo will cool off eventually, but they scare me, as well. Even Boston I could see being hard to beat.

I would not be surprised if they didn't get past the first round.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Macke*

I can't see the Rangers going far in the playoffs..not right now anyway..if they was a week ago they'd win the Cup

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:39 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If we can sign him for 1 year at 2 mil or so (assuming we dealt Prucha to make room), I suppose it would be pretty hard to argue against that.
I guess, but what's the net effect? Is Sundin going to play wing? We already have a dozen wingers who can't get anything done consistently, except for Voros, regardless of the quality of their centerman.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Shake and Bake

well, if we can get him for 1 year at 2 mill, its a no brainer to bring him back. move drury back to the wing. this team cant score, get this man in ranger jersey. it will be amazing to see how more balanced the lineup looks from top to bottom with sundin in the fold

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:50 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
I guess, but what's the net effect? Is Sundin going to play wing? We already have a dozen wingers who can't get anything done consistently, except for Voros, regardless of the quality of their centerman.
If you can get him cheap you have to do it. Setup LW-C combos that already have (or likely will have) chemistry.

Dawes-Gomez -
Naslund-Sundin -
Voros-Dubinsky -
Sjostrom-Betts-

Then you have Drury, Zherdev, Callahan, Fritsche, Orr on the right side. I think Korpedo goes to Hartford to add another $1million to Sundin's salary.

A Rangers lineup with Sundin scores more goals than one without.

Edit: Embarrassing morning grammar mistakes fixed.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:12 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
If you can get him cheap you have to do it. Setup LW-C combos that already have (or likely will have) chemistry.

Dawes-Gomez -
Naslund-Sundin -
Voros-Dubinsky -
Sjostrom-Betts-

Then you have Drury, Zherdev, Callahan, Fritsche, Orr on the right side. I think Korpedo goes to Hartford to add another $1million to Sundin's salary.

A Rangers lineup with Sundin scores more goals than one without.

Edit: Embarrassing morning grammar mistakes fixed.
Dawes-Gomez -Drury
Naslund-Sundin -Sjostrom
Voros-Dubinsky -Zherdev
Fritsche-Betts-Callahan

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Nubbin

Sundin Interest

I don't know how good the source is or whatever but I was listening to Home Ice on XM this morning and it was stated that the frontrunners for Sundin are Rangers and Flyers. Now, where the source came from this report, I have no idea. So, it's just something I heard. I would say, more than likely, if that's true, the Flyers will end up with him because they are more desperate at this point and we are sitting pretty well. Even the loses could have gone our way. We haven't gotten blown out yet.

Now, if the way they could fit him in is by ridding ourselves of Roszival?? GO FOR IT! I can't stand him.

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
I don't know how good the source is or whatever but I was listening to Home Ice on XM this morning and it was stated that the frontrunners for Sundin are Rangers and Flyers. Now, where the source came from this report, I have no idea. So, it's just something I heard. I would say, more than likely, if that's true, the Flyers will end up with him because they are more desperate at this point and we are sitting pretty well. Even the loses could have gone our way. We haven't gotten blown out yet.

Now, if the way they could fit him in is by ridding ourselves of Roszival?? GO FOR IT! I can't stand him.

Or you can look at it a different way. The Rangers have looked much better than the Flyers so far. Sundin may want to play for the better team. Flyers currently sit at 0-3-3

Old
10-24-2008, 09:39 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
Or you can look at it a different way. The Rangers have looked much better than the Flyers so far. Sundin may want to play for the better team. Flyers currently sit at 0-3-3
That's what I was thinking. My feeling on this though is that if Sundin wants to win a Cup then he'll take less money to do so. By getting rid of Rozsival to bring in him, I think that just stupid. I dont think Rozival should be getting paid the money he is, but then again most of our free agent signings are in the same boat, he's still a solid defenseman and plays well with Redden. It would just be plain stupid to trade him and weaken our 6. Defense wins championships.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I don't know how good the source is.......
Look enough places and you'll find EVERYONE tied to the Sundin rumors. I read this morning that TBL is "frontrunner" under the guise that Stamkos will go back to Juniors and Mats will jump right in. You can make up a story to fit ANYONE'S situation.

The only person who knows anything is Mats Sundin. IF he's made a decision, he's not telling anyone, so this continues to be the fabrications of people who make a living off being a "source" of rumors.

Old
10-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Certainly a good point, and I like I've said before, I'm not necessarily championing the idea of Sundin on this team. I think the obvious need for this team is a consistent scoring winger, but if we are unable to fill that void, what's the next option?

I'm concerned that we're now entering Gomez' 2nd year as a Ranger and we're still shuffling wingers on and off of his line. But, if we can't find him a winger, does it make sense to try and wedge Sundin in the middle for a year and hope we can find someone for Gomez at the deadline, or perhaps over the summer? I'm not so sure, but adding 70 points to the lineup is hard to ignore.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Nubbin

Quote:
True. That actually makes more sense now that I think about it.

Old
10-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Nubbin

Quote:
Look enough places and you'll find EVERYONE tied to the Sundin rumors. I read this morning that TBL is "frontrunner" under the guise that Stamkos will go back to Juniors and Mats will jump right in. You can make up a story to fit ANYONE'S situation.

The only person who knows anything is Mats Sundin. IF he's made a decision, he's not telling anyone, so this continues to be the fabrications of people who make a living off being a "source" of rumors.
Which is why I started my post with "not knowing how good the source is..."

Old
10-24-2008, 10:05 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
That's what I was thinking. My feeling on this though is that if Sundin wants to win a Cup then he'll take less money to do so. By getting rid of Rozsival to bring in him, I think that just stupid. I dont think Rozival should be getting paid the money he is, but then again most of our free agent signings are in the same boat, he's still a solid defenseman and plays well with Redden. It would just be plain stupid to trade him and weaken our 6. Defense wins championships.
very well said. especially about Rosy. We don't have a top 4 dman in the wings. Especially one that plays top 2 minutes. Sorry Potter fans, but using Potter instead of rosy weakes the one constant the Rangers have. Good defense.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Shake and Bake

We obviously need a scoring winger more than a scoring center. However, we will take any offense we can get. If we can get a proven scorer like Sundin without giving up anything but money on a short term basis, we have to do it(he would agree to a cheap deal). Of course, that is a big "if." We will just move Drury to the wing and then all of the sudden our wings look better too.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Shake and Bake

I will also add that I do not think they should dump a contract like Rozsival in order to sign Sundin. If Sundin wants to sign on the cheap, you have to sign him. However, I do not want to mess around with our defense. There are no indications Corey Potter can be a top 4 dmen in the league right away, (if at all). I want to keep our strong D in tact. That is what our strength is and how we are built. The Rangers are built to be a competitive team for a while

Old
10-24-2008, 10:08 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Certainly a good point, and I like I've said before, I'm not necessarily championing the idea of Sundin on this team. I think the obvious need for this team is a consistent scoring winger, but if we are unable to fill that void, what's the next option?

I'm concerned that we're now entering Gomez' 2nd year as a Ranger and we're still shuffling wingers on and off of his line. But, if we can't find him a winger, does it make sense to try and wedge Sundin in the middle for a year and hope we can find someone for Gomez at the deadline, or perhaps over the summer? I'm not so sure, but adding 70 points to the lineup is hard to ignore.
If we could sign Sundin and unload one of Gomez and Drury this team would be exponentially better. Not only this year, (b/c lets face it Sundin is still much better than either player and doesn't really have the chemistry issues as Gomez or Drury) but in the future as well as we would presumably get good prospects, or picks, and also the ever valuable cap space to maybe, just maybe go after Hossa, or Gabo, or Kovy.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Nubbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
very well said. especially about Rosy. We don't have a top 4 dman in the wings. Especially one that plays top 2 minutes. Sorry Potter fans, but using Potter instead of rosy weakes the one constant the Rangers have. Good defense.
But in my defense, I don't have to like Roszival because you feel he's a solid defenseman. That is my opinion. I don't like the way he plays. He turns the puck over and is on the ice for most of the goals against. he is lazy and unwilling to take a hit. We lost the detroit game because of Roszival. Some people may not think so. I do. That's my opinion. Take it at what it is worth to you.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Nubbin

Quote:
We obviously need a scoring winger more than a scoring center. However, we will take any offense we can get. If we can get a proven scorer like Sundin without giving up anything but money on a short term basis, we have to do it(he would agree to a cheap deal). Of course, that is a big "if." We will just move Drury to the wing and then all of the sudden our wings look better too.
Keep in mind we have to free up cap space first. How do we do this without losing a player like Roszival?

Old
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Nubbin

Quote:
I will also add that I do not think they should dump a contract like Rozsival in order to sign Sundin. If Sundin wants to sign on the cheap, you have to sign him. However, I do not want to mess around with our defense. There are no indications Corey Potter can be a top 4 dmen in the league right away, (if at all). I want to keep our strong D in tact. That is what our strength is and how we are built. The Rangers are built to be a competitive team for a while
We have less than 1 million dollars available in cap space. You think Sundin is going to sign a rookie salary based contract? Not going to happen.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
If we could sign Sundin and unload one of Gomez and Drury this team would be exponentially better. Not only this year, (b/c lets face it Sundin is still much better than either player and doesn't really have the chemistry issues as Gomez or Drury) but in the future as well as we would presumably get good prospects, or picks, and also the ever valuable cap space to maybe, just maybe go after Hossa, or Gabo, or Kovy.
You don't know if Sundin is better than the current options.

You don't know that there aren't potential chemistry issues with Sundin.

Why is it that everyone who wants cap space wants to then burn it up on franchise players with contract demands that will dwarf anyone's on the roster today?

Old
10-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:

Why is it that everyone who wants cap space wants to then burn it up on franchise players with contract demands that will dwarf anyone's on the roster today?
'cause they're fans, not GMs.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
But in my defense, I don't have to like Roszival because you feel he's a solid defenseman. That is my opinion. I don't like the way he plays. He turns the puck over and is on the ice for most of the goals against. he is lazy and unwilling to take a hit. We lost the detroit game because of Roszival. Some people may not think so. I do. That's my opinion. Take it at what it is worth to you.
and I'll completely take your opinion w/ a grain of salt. he has been our best offensive dman the past 3 season's, playing first pairing minutes, w/ Malik and he has been fine out there.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:44 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

You're right, i don't know if Sundin is better, but It can't really get worse. Also I don't remember any players having chemistry issues w/ Sundin. he is easy to play w/ unlike Gomez or Drury b/c you have to be a specific type of player to play w/ them. Gomez NEEDS a fast winger who can snipe, Drury needs a playmaker on his line. Sundin can shoot well, and pass well, and stand in front of the net, and is a big body. Basically he can do it all.

to your last point. I do not consider Gomez or Drury to be franchise players. They are paid as franchise players, but they are not the players to build a franchise around. They are good complimentary players. Dubi, Staal, Lundy are our franchise players.