HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Everything Mats Sundin Thread

Old
08-18-2008, 04:41 PM
D713B

vCash: 500
Report from Yahoo:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...v=cp&type=lgns

Quote:
Report: Mats Sundin interested in signing with New York Rangers

THE CANADIAN PRESS Aug 17, 5:31 pm EDT

Undecided free agent centre Mats Sundin has expressed interest in playing for the New York Rangers, according to a report in the New York Post.

The article cites a source as saying the 37-year-old former Toronto Maple Leafs captain has been in constant communication with the Rangers this week through his agent J.P. Barry. But the two parties have not reached the stage of contract negotiations.

The Rangers have approximately US$2 million of cap space to spend on the 2008-09 roster.

The report also suggests Sundin, who recorded 78 points (32-46) last season, has no interest in returning to the Leafs, nor does he have interest in joining Montreal or Vancouver, which has offered a two-year, $20-million deal.

According to the report, Philadelphia is also in the mix, with GM Paul Holmgren aggressively pursuing the first-line centre.
Nothing really new here though.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 05:12 PM
sattar18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't think that you are correct. I wouldn't even consider trading Brandon Dubinsky for Voracek and I am 100% sure that Glen Sather wouldn't either...

Voracek is a solid prospect; but go back 10-15 years and look at how much of a gamble prospects like him are.
Voracek is an above average prospect who i think will not bust (doesnt mean much but from the few games i seen him play he was very good in both defensive and offensive zone and very good hockey sence) IMO he really isnt that much of a gamble and will be another patrik elias, and there is no way the blue jackets trade him or filatov unless it is for #1 d-man.

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 06:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Dont see how they would resign Rozsival and complete a very competitive defense only to dismantle it to get Sundin for one year.

Doesnt make them a better team IMO, this year or next.
Exactly my point of view.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 06:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Anyone else tired of Brooks?

One week he writes an article dispelling the Sundin rumors, and 2 weeks later he confirms them? Does anyone have the link? Wasn't it titled "No Truth To Sundin Rumors"

Give me a break already...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Rumours are garbage all the way around. Vancouver getting Sundin is garbage. The Rangers, Flyers, Larry Brooks, Canadiens, Leafs, Mars, Coffee at Starbucks...garbage.

Until he signs we will never know. Can you ever remember such UFA madness as this one?

Flyers and Rangers fans, welcome to the day that never ends:

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Pukku, the second half of the article uses the Brooks story but the first half is a completely different source. This is the part that gets my attention.

Sundin, 37, has received offers from Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, although the source told TFP Sundin will definitely be a part of the Rangers after they clear enough salary cap space.

That word is definitely. They aren't saying it MIGHT happen, they are saying it's a done deal and Slats is the one holding it up by cutting enough space out for him. If that is not what they are saying they need to reword thier article.
The point I'm making about Brook's article is that he is convinced they will trade Rozsival.

But it is his opinion and not a fact.

There is no way they are going to trade one of their best defensemen and dismantle that solid defense corp.

This team's strength right now is team defense, from Lundqvist out.

While the offense is suspect, we can at least rely on the fact that we will be a good defensive team, one of the best.

No chance in heck Sather tears that down just for Sundin, while he wouldn't guarantee that the offense would be potent enough.

Rissmiller, Voros, and Prucha —each making 1mil and over— would be more logical options to move to make cap space.

Sundin's contract could be bonus laden to make up any difference.

Old
08-18-2008, 06:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Anyone else tired of Brooks?

One week he writes an article dispelling the Sundin rumors, and 2 weeks later he confirms them? Does anyone have the link? Wasn't it titled "No Truth To Sundin Rumors"

Give me a break already...
He never knows what he is talking about.

And he always needs to be negative about something.

The worst thing that THN has done is to go to that guy for info on the Rangers. Everything he writes on them is so obnoxiously negative.

Old
08-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
FYI: No. There is no bonus cushion this season, because there is no guarantee that the collective bargaining agreement will remain the same for next season. To make sure teams with cash don't take advantage of the rules, if you will.

Link: http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=242079

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2008, 09:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
FYI: No. There is no bonus cushion this season, because there is no guarantee that the collective bargaining agreement will remain the same for next season. To make sure teams with cash don't take advantage of the rules, if you will.

I cant remember where i read it but i recall reading a blog entry, or an article that stated that older veterans like Shanahan, Selanne and Sundin where waiting until September 1st because then the new collective bargaining agreement will be extended however many years and the new terms considering bonuses would be available on that date.

Not sure what the validity of this is but you're right. Right now there are is no bonus cushion that can be worked into the cap, but part of the reason these guys are "waiting around" could be because of that date.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I cant remember where i read it but i recall reading a blog entry, or an article that stated that older veterans like Shanahan, Selanne and Sundin where waiting until September 1st because then the new collective bargaining agreement will be extended however many years and the new terms considering bonuses would be available on that date.

Not sure what the validity of this is but you're right. Right now there are is no bonus cushion that can be worked into the cap, but part of the reason these guys are "waiting around" could be because of that date.
The bonus option will be available once the NHLPA decides that they are not going to use their option to re-open the CBA. However, NHLPA has untill mid May 2009 before they have to make that decision, so there is definetly no guarantees that the decision will come soon.

Paul Kelly from NHLPA has said that the decision will be made well in advance, but at the same time indicated that there is still negotiations within the NHLPA to be done before final decision can be reached. With players currently scattered around the globe, I seriously doubt NHLPA is going to reach the decision before the season begins.

Still, it is understandable that veterans like Sakic, Sundin, Selanne and Shanahan are waiting for as long as possible, because if the option would be activated for this season, their paydays could be much sweeter. After all, it is in interests of both the team and the player to wait and see until it is definite that bonuses do not confer additional benefits upcoming season.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 09:59 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post

That sucks.

Old
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldo View Post
The bonus option will be available once the NHLPA decides that they are not going to use their option to re-open the CBA. However, NHLPA has untill mid May 2009 before they have to make that decision, so there is definetly no guarantees that the decision will come soon.

Paul Kelly from NHLPA has said that the decision will be made well in advance, but at the same time indicated that there is still negotiations within the NHLPA to be done before final decision can be reached. With players currently scattered around the globe, I seriously doubt NHLPA is going to reach the decision before the season begins.

Still, it is understandable that veterans like Sakic, Sundin, Selanne and Shanahan are waiting for as long as possible, because if the option would be activated for this season, their paydays could be much sweeter. After all, it is in interests of both the team and the player to wait and see until it is definite that bonuses do not confer additional benefits upcoming season.
Sounds about right, thanks for the clarification.

Old
08-19-2008, 11:30 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not sure if this has been posted.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2466...=headlines_nhl

Quote:
Mats Sundin's agent is denying a report in the New York Post that says his client wants to join the Rangers.

Old
08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
crazyforhockey

Good job guys on the update.I see how Nhlnumbers.com has Nyr at cap space of 54.697,and est payroll at 58.142.

So they need to shed (shred-I really think its astep back to alter their lineup-short term for long term) 3.5+ to fit Sundin in at 2 mil(I dont think will happen either).....and no Shanahan.

Unless there is relief on the bonus situation.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

http://hockey-hearsay.blogspot.com

Quote:
New York Rangers
Like the Canadiens, the Rangers also acquired Sundin's negotiating rights at the draft, but were unable to reach a deal. From everything I've heard to this point, Sundin has a strong desire to play in the big apple. Every since his first season in the NHL, he would consider New York as his favorite place on the road to play, and he would always have strong games at the MSG. The only downside to this situation is the Rangers only have about $2 million left to spend, which is an insufficient amount of money to pay for a player of the calibre of Mats. In my opinion, I think the Rangers will have a simple time of shedding salary for him, but they won't trade anyone until they have an official word on Sundin. 4/5

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 11:56 AM
The Blueblood

Quote:
The point I'm making about Brook's article is that he is convinced they will trade Rozsival.

But it is his opinion and not a fact.

There is no way they are going to trade one of their best defensemen and dismantle that solid defense corp.

This team's strength right now is team defense, from Lundqvist out.

While the offense is suspect, we can at least rely on the fact that we will be a good defensive team, one of the best.

No chance in heck Sather tears that down just for Sundin, while he wouldn't guarantee that the offense would be potent enough.

Rissmiller, Voros, and Prucha —each making 1mil and over— would be more logical options to move to make cap space.

I think you're really underestimating Sundin's talent and what he brings to a team. I've watched him play for the past 15 years and this guy is true talent, he may not be as quick as he was at 27, but what 37 year old is?

This guy scored a point a game playing with absolutely no talent beside him in Toronto. On the Rangers where he'll likely play with Naslund or Drury, Mats could and should easily reach 100 points plus bring up the totals of those around him. Watch how few goals the Leafs score this year without him. He's also an underrated defensive centre/penalty killer. He is definetly worth dumping an average d-man like Rozsival if that is what is needed to happen. Rozsival is good but can be replaced and for less money.

You guys already had the 2nd best GAA in the conference last year and it wasn't good enough, you guys need to be able to score goals if you're gonna take down Detroit.

Trust me, this will be a great signing for your team

The Blueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blueblood View Post
I think you're really underestimating Sundin's talent and what he brings to a team. I've watched him play for the past 15 years and this guy is true talent, he may not be as quick as he was at 27, but what 37 year old is?

This guy scored a point a game playing with absolutely no talent beside him in Toronto. On the Rangers where he'll likely play with Naslund or Drury, Mats could and should easily reach 100 points plus bring up the totals of those around him. Watch how few goals the Leafs score this year without him. He's also an underrated defensive centre/penalty killer. He is definetly worth dumping an average d-man like Rozsival if that is what is needed to happen. Rozsival is good but can be replaced and for less money.

You guys already had the 2nd best GAA in the conference last year and it wasn't good enough, you guys need to be able to score goals if you're gonna take down Detroit.

Rozsival really can't be replaced. That is the issue.

If he could be replaced, he would have been.

There is no way the Rangers move Rozsival.

Rissmiller, Voros, Prucha... those are the kind of players that would and should be moved.

And no offense, but Sundin really is NOT worth dismantling a solid defensive core. And no, Sundin would not guarantee that the offense would be potent enough to make up for it. Sure he would improve the offense, but he wouldn't guarantee a thing. This isn't Kovalchuk and his 50 guaranteed goals we are talking about.

Old
08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Rozsival really can't be replaced. That is the issue.

If he could be replaced, he would have been.

There is no way the Rangers move Rozsival.

Rissmiller, Voros, Prucha... those are the kind of players that would and should be moved.

And no offense, but Sundin really is NOT worth dismantling a solid defensive core. And no, Sundin would not guarantee that the offense would be potent enough to make up for it. Sure he would improve the offense, but he wouldn't guarantee a thing. This isn't Kovalchuk and his 50 guaranteed goals we are talking about.
no way voros or rissmiller get dealt after they signed here on july 1. i can see prucha, maybe someone like girardi get dealt.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blueblood View Post

I kind of agree. Let Bobby Sanguinetti make the team this year and trade away Rosi. He is getting over-payed anyways. that would free up more then enough cap space to sign the guy. We could even get a good return on him. maybe a 2nd or 3rd? Who knows, someone has to be lacking on the blue line. We still have a bunch of good blue liners in the pipeline. Lets move Rosi out and get sundin in our line up.

We are paying wayy to much for a 2nd pair defenseman. Im not 100% but i think hes making
4mill a year/4 years and he's not worth that much for that long. I know people have said this before and I agree, we are going to need to resign our guys next year and still have some money to dip into the free agency market.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think if Rozsival gets moved, it'll be at the trade deadline if we're not going to make the playoffs and Sangs has shown he's ready for the NHL. Seems like an unlikely scenario to me.

I think the idea of trading anyone (other than Prucha) to clear space is a bad idea, and that includes Voros and Rissmiller.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Unk

I don't think Roszival gets traded even if/when Sanguinetti is ready. Sanguinetti's gotta replace one of Mara/Kalinin in the 09-10 season, so unless Sauer is ready too (and one of them would need to be in the top-4, don't want two rookie defensemen on the same pairing) it would just leave another hole.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangernick23 View Post
considering the Rangers never actually got the exclusive negotiating rights (AFAIK) this makes the post a little useless. From what i understand, Sundin REQUESTED that the Rangers be given the exclusive negotiating rights, but the Rangers passed, and then it was given to the Habs.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
considering the Rangers never actually got the exclusive negotiating rights (AFAIK) this makes the post a little useless. From what i understand, Sundin REQUESTED that the Rangers be given the exclusive negotiating rights, but the Rangers passed, and then it was given to the Habs.
Thats what i heard originally. Somehow its been misconstrued that it was the other way around.

Bottom line is that Sundin has a preference if he plays and its with the Rangers. Whether Sather is interested or willing to clear space to bring him in remains the question.

Old
08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 View Post
no way voros or rissmiller get dealt after they signed here on july 1. i can see prucha, maybe someone like girardi get dealt.
If you think Rissmiller and Voros are more valuable then Girardi, then i don't even know what to say.

Old
08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
ThirdEye

Letting Rozsival go to fit Sundin would be a terrible mistake. He's curently the only defenseman on the Rangers who's been with this team for more than two seasons. He's also proven he can handle a lot of minutes, so if Staal isn't up to the task this year at least we have a backup plan. If we get rid of Rozsival, who exactly is going to play those minutes?

I like our defense now and I hope it doesn't get dismantled.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote