HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Game Thread: NYR-NJ

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2004, 06:38 PM
dvaske

vCash: 500
Looking ahead

The Habs game is Brian Leetch "nesting doll" night. Is that like a Celebri-duck?

Also- will it help if I get some islander jerseys shipped over?

We need a good game from dem bums.

Old
02-21-2004, 06:46 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255
The goaltending is crap, but your right the Rangers absolutley brutal defense is the biggest problem. Hell the defense may actually be worse than it was a few years ago & that defense made Richter look bad.

Goaltending svcked in this game. Dunham was awful. He stood great against the Islanders and in the previous Devils game and they won, but in this game he was awful. He could of stopped a lot of those goals. 6 goals on 18 shots again. Trade him and get a good goaltender. He is too inconsistent.

Old
02-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Edge

so how many of the last 20 games has he been pulled?

Old
02-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure9
When was the last time Dunham stole a game for the Rangers?
Thursday night.

Who anyone could isolate goaltending as the problem today absolutely defies me. Check you mailbox because EVERYONE in a Ranger sweater mailed it in today.

Old
02-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
Goaltending svcked in this game. Dunham was awful. He stood great against the Islanders and in the previous Devils game and they won, but in this game he was awful. He could of stopped a lot of those goals. 6 goals on 18 shots again. Trade him and get a good goaltender. He is too inconsistent.

Dunham is always great against us, I don't know why, but he is. The point I was making is yes goaltending is a problem, but the bigger problem is defense, they could have Billy Smith, & Micke Richteer in the prime of their careers & Marty Brodeur as their goaltending and they would still have prolems because their defense is that bad. No goalie can stand on his head every single night, granted it was a 4 goal game, but Dunham had to stand on his head for most of the Isles game from keeping the Isles from changing the game b/c the D gave the Isles a bunch of good chances. Dunham deserves blame no question about it, but the Defense is just completley brutal. All you need to know about this defense is in order to attempt to improve the D, Sather traded for a Blue Jacket Reject.

Old
02-21-2004, 09:02 PM
AXN

Quote:
Dunham is always great against us, I don't know why, but he is. The point I was making is yes goaltending is a problem, but the bigger problem is defense, they could have Billy Smith, & Micke Richteer in the prime of their careers & Marty Brodeur as their goaltending and they would still have prolems because their defense is that bad. No goalie can stand on his head every single night, granted it was a 4 goal game, but Dunham had to stand on his head for most of the Isles game from keeping the Isles from changing the game b/c the D gave the Isles a bunch of good chances. Dunham deserves blame no question about it, but the Defense is just completley brutal. All you need to know about this defense is in order to attempt to improve the D, Sather traded for a Blue Jacket Reject.
You just answered your own question. That Dunham is great against you, and rangers beat you. If Dunham was great against everybody else than the rangers would beat everybody else. But Dunham is not great against everybody else and the rangers lose!!

Old
02-21-2004, 09:45 PM
sickboy35

melrose and fletch, i'm not saying dunham is only problem! the defense is absolutely is the worst its been in all seven years, that we can all agree on, today dunham just didn't have it and top that off with our defense and thats what you get. i know you guys have been dunham supporters, and thats ok, but i also think he has been far to inconsistant in alot of games this year, he has a great game followed by what we saw today. that is my point!!

Old
02-21-2004, 09:46 PM
nyr5186

I've gotta say that if Richter was still here and playing healthy, or if Dunham played like he did last season, we'd be in a playoff spot right now. Not trying to single out Dunham because I understand the defense is atrocious and should be our #1 worry, but there have been plenty games this season where Dunham just hasn't made any big saves when we needed him to. Every team needs a goalie that can come up with the big saves at crucial times in the game. Even the Devils dont go stretches without asking Brodeur to make big stops.

As fans, all we're asking from a starting goalie is consistency. Thats what we got from Richter. We didnt have to worry about our goaltending when Richter was in nets because everybody knew he would come to the rink ready to play every night. Everybody knew that Richter seldom had an off night. But its very frustrating when Dunham can stand on his head one night, and cant stop a beachball (see avatar) the next night. If he stunk it up consistently, then we'd all know that the goaltending needed to be revamped. But Dunham has shown plenty of times that he's capable of being a servicible #1. Its games like today that make us scratch our heads.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:07 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
I've gotta say that if Richter was still here and playing healthy, or if Dunham played like he did last season, we'd be in a playoff spot right now. Not trying to single out Dunham because I understand the defense is atrocious and should be our #1 worry, but there have been plenty games this season where Dunham just hasn't made any big saves when we needed him to. Every team needs a goalie that can come up with the big saves at crucial times in the game. Even the Devils dont go stretches without asking Brodeur to make big stops.

As fans, all we're asking from a starting goalie is consistency. Thats what we got from Richter. We didnt have to worry about our goaltending when Richter was in nets because everybody knew he would come to the rink ready to play every night. Everybody knew that Richter seldom had an off night. But its very frustrating when Dunham can stand on his head one night, and cant stop a beachball (see avatar) the next night. If he stunk it up consistently, then we'd all know that the goaltending needed to be revamped. But Dunham has shown plenty of times that he's capable of being a servicible #1. Its games like today that make us scratch our heads.

What the hell are you talking about? He has been inconsistent since November.
They have been a little above 500 and when the injuries struck they just sunk.

Last edited by AXN: 02-21-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old
02-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Shadowtron

I don't care who we put in this net, the results would still be the same. A goalie shouldn't have to stand on his head game in and game out. The fact of the matter is the entire machine is shot, from the goal-mouth to the front office. Richter wouldn't have gotten this team any further. Regardless of what our sentimental feelings for the man tell us. He missed the playoffs just as easily as Dunham has, and he played on his head most night. I agree, Dunhman may not be the answer, but neither is he the problem. It's time to rebuild. It's time for management to wake up, open their eyes, and deal with this seething quagmire of a team. This loss shouldn't be the end, but rather a beginning. In any sanely organized franchise the red flags would've been heeded and plans would've been implemented to right the teetering ship. It isn't about one player, it's about an entire TEAM. Maybe this loss today will be a blessing in disguise. Of course, I'm merely thinking in fictional terms. We all know what's on the horizon, don't we?

Last edited by Shadowtron: 02-21-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old
02-21-2004, 10:30 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
What the hell are you talking about? He has been inconsistent since November. They have been a little above 500 and when the injuries struck they just sunk.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Dunham is way too inconsistent, which is what pisses me off.

Injuries happen. Thats part of the game. No team goes through a single season without having guys get injured. Hell, look at the Kings. Just about every big player on their team has gotten injured, much more than the Rangers. Have they folded? No. They stuck to their system and filled the gaps with hungry, hard-working youngsters. Same with teams like St. Louis and the Isles. Have the Rangers done that? No! Because their coach is a buffoon, they have no system, theres no accountability, theres no commitment to hard work, theres no defense, no clue what to do on the specialty teams, inconsistent goaltending, and so on. The list is endless. No team in any sport should ever use injuries as an excuse. And when a coach goes on record numerous times as saying "I dont know what to do" and "We have no answers", you know theres something wrong.

Old
02-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Smash255

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN
You just answered your own question. That Dunham is great against you, and rangers beat you. If Dunham was great against everybody else than the rangers would beat everybody else. But Dunham is not great against everybody else and the rangers lose!!

NO goalie can stand on his head every single night. You can't expect that out of anyone. Dunham bails the Rangers Weak ass defense out every time they play the Isles, but when you look at the elite goalies in the league they at least have some defense around them. Any goalie can play strong every now & then despite the Defense, but its not something you can expect every game when your defense is as inept as the Rangers D is. I'm not saying dunham is blameless by any means of course he deserves blame and has been a problem, but the Rangers Defense is even a bigger problem.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:36 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
NO goalie can stand on his head every single night. You can't expect that out of anyone. Dunham bails the Rangers Weak ass defense out every time they play the Isles, but when you look at the elite goalies in the league they at least have some defense around them. Any goalie can play strong every now & then despite the Defense, but its not something you can expect every game when your defense is as inept as the Rangers D is. I'm not saying dunham is blameless by any means of course he deserves blame and has been a problem, but the Rangers Defense is even a bigger problem.
in other news, water is wet? just busting your chops!
we know the defense sucks, along with a host of other problems!

Old
02-21-2004, 11:54 PM
NewYorkStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Or perhaps they could bring up the entire Wolfpack team and see if they could do better?
Only if the wolfpack gets to go back down and play in the playoffs. No way the currently constructed nhl club could win the Calder Cup, the pack deserve the shot.

Old
02-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Fitzlax99

With or without good goaltending, this is a flawed team that is going nowhere.

It is possible that I am alone in thinking this, but I believe Dunhams poor play is based more on his health than just the fact that he's just not performing. I'm sorry, but there is no way that Dunham is completely healthy. Even in a game like the one against the Isles, he looked worn and slower than he was even at the begining of the season.

Old
02-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Smash255

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
in other news, water is wet? just busting your chops!
we know the defense sucks, along with a host of other problems!
LOL well some people seem to think its only goaltending, hell as I said you could have a 3 goalie tandm of Billy Smith in his prime, Mike Richter in his prime and Marty Brodeur & the team would still blow because the defense is just that bad

Old
02-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Smash255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzlax99
With or without good goaltending, this is a flawed team that is going nowhere.

It is possible that I am alone in thinking this, but I believe Dunhams poor play is based more on his health than just the fact that he's just not performing. I'm sorry, but there is no way that Dunham is completely healthy. Even in a game like the one against the Isles, he looked worn and slower than he was even at the begining of the season.

I don't know if its injury as much as it could be just being tired. When you have to stand on your head to win games b/c your d is so putrid it takes a lot out of a goaltender

Old
02-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Jackson Ranger

Turn out the lights, the party's over!

I find it funny to read how some players were making comments how happy the they were the other night to beat the Islanders and then come out yesterday and "look" so bad. Hello, McFly! They were LUCKY to win the other night.

The game yesterday was brutal from the get go. The goaltending was brutal, the defensemen have no idea what to do (how do two veterans both leave the front of the net to go to the same guy and leave someone all alone in front???) and the forwards could care less about playing a smart, defensive style.

This team is bad...and yes, water is wet! No speed, "0" hockey smarts, old veterans who only care about their stats, youngsters who haven't shown much and a Coach/GM who could get outcoached by high school coaches.

Back up the garbage truck and get this crap out of town. And I could care less who is traded because I would trade them all right now. And I pray to God, someone else buys this organization and pushes it into the right direction.

And I can only hope that there are more 7-3, 9-1 drubbings in the next few games to finally hammer this point home to the people that count.

Old
02-22-2004, 06:28 PM
nikefella

Does anyone else find it troublesome that while the wolfpack are setting new records this season, the rangers are incapable of winning twice in a row. When are we going to see these wolfpack kids take over?

Old
02-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Fletch

I don't think it's a matter..

of the 'Pack taking over. Not too sure there are too many NHLers there, especially for the top two lines and top two defense pairings. While it's painful to watch the Rangers, I'm sure it's more painful watching the Pens at this point.

Old
02-22-2004, 07:22 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
While it's painful to watch the Rangers, I'm sure it's more painful watching the Pens at this point.
Not when you already have secured Fleury, are on the way to Ovechkin and will be the front runners to land Crosby. And at least the Pens have a plan and try to play? When was the last time that the Rangers have shown that there is a plan in place? One that lasts beyond several weeks, that is.

Old
02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Fletch

Not too sure how excited I'd still be...

it's a long rebuilding process. We'll see where they are in 2-3 years because they ain't going too far the next couple. Heck, just looked up Fata's stats for the first time in a while...12 goals, -37...seemed to've fallen off a bit.

Old
02-22-2004, 07:50 PM
AXN

Quote:
Look at Dunham's numbers.

GP W L T GAA SV %
45 14 21 6 2.91 .899

Look at the Save percentage. Its below .900.
No body is asking him to stand on his head every night but put up decent numbers. Play Consistantly. He gave up bad goals from bad angles and took his team out of the game. Brouduer's team got into trouble but he was fantastic and bailed them out.

Last edited by AXN: 02-22-2004 at 07:53 PM.
Old
02-22-2004, 08:05 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkStranger
Only if the wolfpack gets to go back down and play in the playoffs. No way the currently constructed nhl club could win the Calder Cup, the pack deserve the shot.
When the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. They broke in two defenseman. Sergei Zubov and Alexander Karpovtsev. They Mixed them with veterans like Leetch, Buekeboom, Jay Wells and won the Stanley Cup. Rangers have not broken in a young player since Mike York.

Old
02-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Fletch

Are you saying...

that those stats have nothing to do with the crappy team in front of him? So many calling for Dunham when the team was in disarray and came out flat against a rival in the heat of a playoff race. Goals 2-4 had nothing to do with Dunham - and that was the game. The lazy, heartless group in front of him is a large reason for Dunham's numbers. They cannot win unless the goalie stands on his head...every game!!! When was the last time this team won when a goaltender didn't stand on his head?

Closed Thread