HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - fun travel guide

Old
08-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Habsurd

vCash: 500
Help in London and Paris

Going to London and Paris w my teenager soon. If anyone could recomend a decent hotel or bed and breakfast in the city centers......2-4 star. It can't be in a seedy area though because of the kid. Four nights in London and only one or two in Paris. Thanks to all who reply. I'll check the thread over this weekend. Thanks again.

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 06:26 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

I would strongly suggest to purchase the Lonely Planet on a shoestring or the Let's go. 2 travel guide that will help you a lot

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Sthabs

In Paris try the formula 1 chain of hotel
Usually decent (read a bed , a chair, a desk and thats it, but clean) and very decent prices.

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Going to Paris tmr will let you know how my hotel is.

Riverside Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:29 AM
habfan4

I've been to both London and Paris several times, but it's difficult to give a specific recommendation without knowing your budget and where you want to stay. City Centre is a vague term when talking about London, doubly so for Paris (the 1st through 8th arrondissement could all be considered the city centre).

The best advice would be to check out sites like www.fodors.com or www.frommers.com to get a general idea of where you want to stay (both sites have travel boards where you can get a tonne of feedback to hotel and other questions). Once you've nailed down where you want to stay, check out www.expedia.ca and www.travelocity.ca to see what fits your budget (www.tripadvisor.com is a fairly useful site, it gives reviews on hotels etc...)

Once you get a general idea of budget and location, perhaps myself and others can give you a little more assistance.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:41 AM
tmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd View Post
Going to London and Paris w my teenager soon. If anyone could recomend a decent hotel or bed and breakfast in the city centers......2-4 star. It can't be in a seedy area though because of the kid. Four nights in London and only one or two in Paris. Thanks to all who reply. I'll check the thread over this weekend. Thanks again.
For Paris I recommend the IBIS chain decent price and close to the center unlike th formula 1 chain (but more expensive) theres the one at cambronne close to the eiffel tower and if your coming from london by train its close to the Monparnasse train station

http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhote...he_hotel.shtml

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:11 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd View Post
We always stay at the county hall, it's very close to the London Eye, 3 minute walk from Westminster bridge and Houses of Parliament, very close to the tube and train stations, here's the link...
http://www.premierinn.com/pti/hotelI...?hotelId=23881

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
HabstuckinTO

Here is a great small hotel in Paris. Stayed there a few years ago. Very nice, good location, etc. - Hotel Sevres Vaneau

http://www.hotelpronto.co.uk/Custome...Id=913&Prev=38

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
OT - fun travel guide

A couple of years ago I went to Hong Kong, and met someone there who had an interesting book.

This had in it all the 'other' things you can do (generally for free) in cities around the world.

For example, we went to Kowloon (across the river from Hong Kong), to a massive building which was a hotel (I think it was the renaissance or something like that). The book told us to walk inside, and travle up to the top floor where there is a very expensive restaurant. Obviously, avoid the restaurant.

However, when you get off the elevator, there is a bathroom on the right, and this is where you can have the experience of a lifetime. Basically, you are waited on by someone who literaaly holds your toilet-paper for you, and the coolest part is that they built urinals onto these giant glass windows, so you can pee while looking at the entire Hong Kong skyline right there in front of you.

It was very cool.

Has anyone else heard of such a book? if so, what is the title? I've been trying to find it for ages!

If not, anyone else have any interesting things to do in big cities?

Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Free Wi-fi in the rooms,

Kind of small but very nice for a Euro Hotel.

Hotel Muguet in Paris...PM me if you want me details or just google it.

Riverside Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote