HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the Stars #1 prospect?

View Poll Results: Who is the Stars #1 prospect?
Ivan Vishnevskiy 9 25.71%
James Neal 13 37.14%
Fabian Brunnström 11 31.43%
Jamie Benn 0 0%
Nico Sacchetti 0 0%
Richard Bachman 1 2.86%
Perttu Lindgren 1 2.86%
Konstantin Pushkarev 0 0%
Raymond Sawada 0 0%
Sergei Korostin 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
________

vCash: 205
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________

Since there's polls for everything else.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Going into this season I think it has to be Brunnstrom.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 12:05 AM
________

Last years poll for the prospects had alot more votes then this.

Old
08-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Well, consider that one of the two seven vote getters is receiving that lavish praise and votes from people that have never actually seen him play. That in itself is cause for a rather lackluster participation because this poll, like so many others, is merely based on hype and little on actuality.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 02:28 AM
________

Well even then it's still quite the drop from 70 votes about on last years #1 prospect poll to like 22 so far on this one.

Old
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
BullitProof

James Neal is the Stars best prospect according to most Hockey Magazines. He should make the Stars this year.

BullitProof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

It's Vishnevskiy. The guy just needs to stay healthy and improve his play in his own zone. A true offensive defenseman, who while will never be Zubov, will run this team's pp in the not too distant future.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Hey guys, mind if I join the discussion?

I'm not sure if I ever introduced myself, I'm Mike, I'm your new (well, it's been a couple months I guess) HF writer. I'm excited to take on the duties of a fine organization like the Stars and it was something of a learning experience for me because before I got the job I was a little unfamiliar with the bottom half of your prospect list. But I've been trying to study these players inside and out, talk to their former coaches, GMs, talk to scouts, talk to whoever, watch some footage, etc. and I feel I have a pretty good grasp now on your system.

While I'm not allowed to give away any specifics, I can tell you this much: the player that finished second in your poll is not your best prospect, in my opinion (of course).

I've had the opportunity to see Brunnstrom play a couple times and frankly, he's overrated. Do I feel he'll be a legitimate NHL player? Yes, I do. Do I think he's a world beater? No, unfortunately I don't. He really slowed down down the stretch too, playing against tougher, bigger, faster opponents late in the year and into the playoffs was something he wasn't able to handle very well (he wasn't really used to that of course, playing a couple tiers down in Sweden is much different than playing at the Elitserien level)...but he did stumble down the stretch, I think he registered all of 1 point in 12 playoff games...I think the hype machine was out in full force on this one, but that's not to say this guy is void of all potential and talent...

However, that's not entirely uncommon to see a player wear down over the course of a longer, tougher season (Evgeni Malkin in 2007 playoffs was a non-factor for instance...he was used to the 50, 55, 60 game schedule, now we're talking about game 80, 85, almost 90 in a more physical and physically demanding league, it's gonna slow you down)...

I'm updating every one of your team's player profiles as well...I'm trying to focus especially on talent analysis, because some of them were a little on the light side. So, I've made it a point to upgrade and update them...I'm also putting my neck on the line because this will draw a lot of ire, because it is such an inexact science: I've tried to give the player's potential with a comparable player. I see a lot of times, fans will ask, "well, who's he play like?" "who is he comparable to?" well, that's a very hard question to answer...but I gave it a shot, further, I even tried to compare these guys to Western Conference players, players that you guys see more regularly...again though, don't come after me with pitchforks and torches about it (), I'm admitting now, it's imperfect to the highest degree, but I gave it a shot...

Well, I've probably said too much already, but I'm working on wrapping up a few stragglers outside the top 20, trying to figure out who's still with the team/not with the team after the August 15th deadline, and getting the top 20 article completed. After all that is up and settled I'll be able to talk a little more about if you guys want...

Sorry for the long introductory post, in case I'm unable to revisit the thread, have a great weekend all!

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 04:08 PM
________

Most of the voting as last years is done based on hype as opposed to actual real potential.
Last year Lindgren finished ahead of Niskanen as the #1 prospect for example.

At the earliest Brunnstrom in my opinion should be #3 after Vishnevskiy and Neal though like Jamie Benn could be ranked higher them Brunnstrom as well.
HF probably still considers Fistric a prospect on the new top twenty when they release it.

Old
08-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Most of the voting as last years is done based on hype as opposed to actual real potential.
Last year Lindgren finished ahead of Niskanen as the #1 prospect for example.

At the earliest Brunnstrom in my opinion should be #3 after Vishnevskiy and Neal though like Jamie Benn could be ranked higher them Brunnstrom as well.
HF probably still considers Fistric a prospect on the new top twenty when they release it.
At this time, my hands are tied in terms of responding to the rest of the post. However, I can tell you that Fistric is required to remain on the prospect list and he will of course be there.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Alistar

hey mike nice to see you on board

from most of the sources I've read (and according to a couple of people who live in Sweden and Finland I've talked to) Brunnstrom is considered a legitimate NHL prospect mostly because of his size and skating ability, which seperates him from guys like Leino and Pesonen (on Detroit and Pittsburgh) in most peoples minds. I have every confidence that Dallas can develope Brunnstrom into a valuable contributor, mostly due to our recent track record with borderline prosepcts (guys like Jussi Jokinen).

That being said, I don't expect anything more out of Brunnstrom in his first season then 50-60 games of hockey and maybe chipping in every so often on the scoresheet. 25 points would be a succesfull rookie campaign in my mind (so long as he doesn't look totally out of place in his own end while doing it). I think most Stars fans on these boards are on the same page with this guy - I don't think anyone expects him to be the future 1st line winger, more like a solid depth player who can step up to 1st line responsibilites when needed.

edit: haha I got your name wrong, I really need to wake up

Last edited by Alistar: 08-16-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 03:54 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Hey man, good post. I've seen you around HF, don't be a stranger to the Dallas board.
It's good to have a writer again -- Dallas seems to get chronically underrepresented (as prospect after prospect becomes legit NHL players to little to no fanfare).

I have a hard time understanding Brunnström getting so many votes. I just hope people aren't going to turn on him if he doesn't meet the lofty expectations. He's going to be a solid player..... that's one of the things about the Stars... as long as you can fit in, the results will take care of themselves.

To get back to the topic... I'd consider guys like Bachman and Benn higher in this ranking. I guess it depends on how much you value their eventual ceilings vis-a-vis their readiness.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 11:39 AM
aisforaaron83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Hey guys, mind if I join the discussion?

I'm not sure if I ever introduced myself, I'm Mike, I'm your new (well, it's been a couple months I guess) HF writer. I'm excited to take on the duties of a fine organization like the Stars and it was something of a learning experience for me because before I got the job I was a little unfamiliar with the bottom half of your prospect list. But I've been trying to study these players inside and out, talk to their former coaches, GMs, talk to scouts, talk to whoever, watch some footage, etc. and I feel I have a pretty good grasp now on your system.

While I'm not allowed to give away any specifics, I can tell you this much: the player that finished second in your poll is not your best prospect, in my opinion (of course).

I've had the opportunity to see Brunnstrom play a couple times and frankly, he's overrated. Do I feel he'll be a legitimate NHL player? Yes, I do. Do I think he's a world beater? No, unfortunately I don't. He really slowed down down the stretch too, playing against tougher, bigger, faster opponents late in the year and into the playoffs was something he wasn't able to handle very well (he wasn't really used to that of course, playing a couple tiers down in Sweden is much different than playing at the Elitserien level)...but he did stumble down the stretch, I think he registered all of 1 point in 12 playoff games...I think the hype machine was out in full force on this one, but that's not to say this guy is void of all potential and talent...

However, that's not entirely uncommon to see a player wear down over the course of a longer, tougher season (Evgeni Malkin in 2007 playoffs was a non-factor for instance...he was used to the 50, 55, 60 game schedule, now we're talking about game 80, 85, almost 90 in a more physical and physically demanding league, it's gonna slow you down)...

I'm updating every one of your team's player profiles as well...I'm trying to focus especially on talent analysis, because some of them were a little on the light side. So, I've made it a point to upgrade and update them...I'm also putting my neck on the line because this will draw a lot of ire, because it is such an inexact science: I've tried to give the player's potential with a comparable player. I see a lot of times, fans will ask, "well, who's he play like?" "who is he comparable to?" well, that's a very hard question to answer...but I gave it a shot, further, I even tried to compare these guys to Western Conference players, players that you guys see more regularly...again though, don't come after me with pitchforks and torches about it (), I'm admitting now, it's imperfect to the highest degree, but I gave it a shot...

Well, I've probably said too much already, but I'm working on wrapping up a few stragglers outside the top 20, trying to figure out who's still with the team/not with the team after the August 15th deadline, and getting the top 20 article completed. After all that is up and settled I'll be able to talk a little more about if you guys want...

Sorry for the long introductory post, in case I'm unable to revisit the thread, have a great weekend all!
thanks for dropping by. It is nice to know we have a writer again!

drop us a line when the updates are done. then we can argue!!!!!!

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Damn, that takes me back....for about a month in 2004 I was one of the Stars writers....here's my only article:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...p20_prospects/

Might've helped write another one but I can't remember. Wrote one for the Leafs as well, before getting bored with the whole deal and just becoming a member.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I have every confidence that Dallas can develope Brunnstrom into a valuable contributor, mostly due to our recent track record with borderline prosepcts (guys like Jussi Jokinen).
I don't think you can really call Jokinen a borderline prospect. He was a solid prospect, but not a blue chip guy. He had skins on the wall in international competition with his age group and as a pro in Finland.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote