HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How many more years will Bouillon be a Hab?

View Poll Results: What to do with Bouillon
Let him go to UFA 120 67.04%
Sign him for 1 year 21 11.73%
Sign him for 2 years 14 7.82%
Sign him for 3+ years 2 1.12%
Keep him here until he retires 6 3.35%
Trade him during this season 16 8.94%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder11 View Post
I like the cube !he fights and is fast,If we can have him cheap Id say yes.
But dont play him in no dangerous situations.
Cheap? If Gainey has to be the highest bidder for Bouillon as a UFA, I'd say it's not worth it.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:06 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by primeking View Post
Love Bouillon's style of play but just doesnt have the offensive upside that some young d-men in our system have. I'd rather see some youngster getting some ice time on the 3rd pairing and evolving rather than a hard-hitting Bouillon. He's not massive enough ( even though he plays like he is 230 lbs) to clear the front of the net and doesnt have a very long reach. Im sure he could be useful on some other squad but with our depth at D, he's just gonna slow some prospects development.
My thoughts exactly.

Bouillon only brings 2 things to the ice, energy and toughness.

A player like Valentenko brings both of those, is bigger, cheaper, has some offensive upside and is a young player that is only going to get better. It's not like he's going to play 25 mins a game, we're not relying on this young player to lead the team, but rather develop him so in the future he can be a major part.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:10 PM
NSi

Bouillon is truly underrated on this board.

He is a FINE 6th d-man.

The only reason I voted he should become a UFA after this year is because we will have a lot of challengers for the 6th spot next year and he won't accept a 7th spot.

At least one in McDo, Tank, Carle or (maybe) Weber will probably win the spot. There is Yemelin who might come in NA after the season (he might not crack the lineup right away but reports show a nice upside). You also have the intriguing Belle who could turn his game around and become a wild card. I can hardly imagine all of them being only AHLers in 09-10.

It's the only reason why he won't be back. There aren't many 6th d-man in this league that bring as much as he does to his team, IMHO.

NSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
I think he'll make a more than fine 7th defensman.
When and how?

Right now he is #4. I think before year end the Habs will add a rental(Brad Stuart type) to add depth if they are in contention making him #5. Assuming Gorges O'byrne and Valentenko keep progressing, you let Bouillon walk and give them more responsibility. I'm sure he'd make more as a #4-5 somewhere else than as a #7 here(assuming he was #7).

Given the current market condition, i'm pretty sure he can make 2-2.5 mil for a 2-3 year deal on the UFA market.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
When and how?

Right now he is #4. I think before year end the Habs will add a rental(Brad Stuart type) to add depth if they are in contention making him #5. Assuming Gorges O'byrne and Valentenko keep progressing, you let Bouillon walk and give them more responsibility. I'm sure he'd make more as a #4-5 somewhere else than as a #7 here(assuming he was #7).

Given the current market condition, i'm pretty sure he can make 2-2.5 mil for a 2-3 year deal on the UFA market.
Boullion is 5, Gorges 4 IMO.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Boullion is 5, Gorges 4 IMO.
Bouillon was #4 last year, the ice time proves it. They are pretty equal as players but Bouillon has more experience.

Old
08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Puckhead58*

I would keep him if the price was right...especially if he continues to play like he did last season. When he is used as a 5th-6th defencemen with the right amount of icetime, he is a valuable asset because of his grit.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Bouillon was #4 last year, the ice time proves it. They are pretty equal as players but Bouillon has more experience.
The ice time for the entire season... or the ice time in the last two months and the playoffs.....

I'm pretty sure Josh surpassed him as the season went on.

He started as our 7th with Breezy ahead of him.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
eddy

I really admire Cube's heart and think he's a good 6/7 D but with the amount of good young D we have coming through the system there's just no reason to keep him around after this season imo.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
He'll be gone at the end of the year.

Next year's d will be something like:

Markov - Komisarek (hopefully)
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Valentenko
Belle

With Carle as a possible call-up, while Subban and possibly McDonagh join the 'Dogs. With the wishful thinking putting Emelin there too.
as long as our top 4 isn't secured.... they won't let him go.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The ice time for the entire season... or the ice time in the last two months and the playoffs.....

I'm pretty sure Josh surpassed him as the season went on.

He started as our 7th with Breezy ahead of him.
Gorges and Brisebois were #7-8 at the start of the year, Streit was playing defense.

Bouillon averaged 1 minute more than Gorges over the whole year. They'll be #4-5 and pretty interchangeable in 08-09 as they pretty much always play together. O'byrne will play with Hamrlik to benefit from his ecperience and should be #6.

Old
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
WeezyHabFan

I really like Bouillon I say we let him retire with us, good guy, good fighter, good muscle to have on the ice

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
He'll be gone at the end of the year.

Next year's d will be something like:

Markov - Komisarek (hopefully)
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
Gorges - Valentenko
Belle

With Carle as a possible call-up, while Subban and possibly McDonagh join the 'Dogs. With the wishful thinking putting Emelin there too.
that would be my top 7 THIS year,

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
that would be my top 7 THIS year,
Common; Bouillon is superior to Belle 100 times at the moment......

As for Valentenko, management said he is not ready yet...

we want to be contender right?
it is not the moment to replace a very good defensively veteran to take a risk with a 22 years old youngster in Valentenko with 0 NHL experience....

take the time to let the kid gain some experience in top pairing AHl and the call up guy maybe 10-15 NHL games, then we'll talk about him being superior at Bouillon..

People here tend too much to overrate prospect and underrate veterans

Why not bring Maxwell and MaxPac in the NHL to replace Koivu and Higgins; they have more upside!

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Gotta let him go as a UFA, sadly. Yes, sadly. But he's not "done", and he's a decent bottom-pairing regular NHL defenseman for anybody. Guys in that category don't seem to ever get pay cuts as free agents, however. And as much as I like Bouillon and think he's a good community fit and all, I can't see it making sense to keep him on for $2M-ish a year, when we've got young players coming who will earn less than half of that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I say let him go.We have alot of great yound D coming up and they need experience.Gorges showed that he can play and deserves some extra minutes and so did O'Byrne.McDonagh,Fisher and Carle are not far away.Also Emelin but who know's if he is interested in coming here.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 11:47 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Gotta let him go as a UFA, sadly. Yes, sadly. But he's not "done", and he's a decent bottom-pairing regular NHL defenseman for anybody. Guys in that category don't seem to ever get pay cuts as free agents, however. And as much as I like Bouillon and think he's a good community fit and all, I can't see it making sense to keep him on for $2M-ish a year, when we've got young players coming who will earn less than half of that.
If and only if one of our prospect stand out this year then I agree....

if not, sign him for a year with TO something like that...

you never know what will happens; maybe Gorges could have a disastrous season (knock on wood) or serious injuries....

You need to make sure you have decent replecement to let him go...

Old
08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
All-Star

I voted that he should go to free agency, but after thinking about it, the Habs will need a veteran at his position to allow them to break guys like Valentenko in slowly. I'd say they'll need a guy of Bouillon's calibre and experience for another 2 or 3 seasons.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I love how people want Belle on the team.

I know I've said it before, but it just makes me laugh. The guy was brought here for DEFENSIVE DEPTH in Hamilton. There is no way he makes the team out of training camp.. He hasn't stuck with two teams who are worse off then us in the past few years, what makes people think he'll be a Top-7 in Montreal.

If Shawn Belle is on our opening day roster, I know I'm going to be saying.. "So much for a Stanley Cup this year"..

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
Common; Bouillon is superior to Belle 100 times at the moment......

As for Valentenko, management said he is not ready yet...

we want to be contender right?
it is not the moment to replace a very good defensively veteran to take a risk with a 22 years old youngster in Valentenko with 0 NHL experience....

take the time to let the kid gain some experience in top pairing AHl and the call up guy maybe 10-15 NHL games, then we'll talk about him being superior at Bouillon..

People here tend too much to overrate prospect and underrate veterans

Why not bring Maxwell and MaxPac in the NHL to replace Koivu and Higgins; they have more upside!
Bouillon is OK but he isn't tremendously important to the D and he would enter free agency NEXT season, not this. The 22-year-old Valentenko would be 23 (and all the other propsects would also be a year older) at that time. Your talk about Koivu and Higgins is, shall we say, at least a year premature in that Maxwell and Pacioretty aren't even remote candidates right now. Also, did you consider the possibility that Pacioretty and especially Latendresse may NEVER surpass Higgins?

Last edited by Corey: 08-12-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old
08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Bouillon is OK but he isn't tremendously important to the D and he would enter free agency NEXT season, not this. The 22-year-old Valentenko would be 23 (and all the other propsects would also be a year older) at that time. Your talk about Koivu and Higgins is, shall we say, at least a year premature in that Maxwell and Pacioretty aren't even remote candidates right now. Also, did you consider the possibility that Pacioretty and especially Latendresse may NEVER surpass Higgins?
didn't you noticed I was sarcastic??
means sarcasm!

While I agree on the valentenko case; if he has a breakout year...
you should read my post again... you would see I was complaining about... ah nevermind. just take the time to read it

Old
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Schooner Guy

This is Cube's last year with the Habs. We have too many UFA's higher in the pecking order next offseason.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Corey

Quote:
didn't you noticed I was sarcastic??
means sarcasm!

While I agree on the valentenko case; if he has a breakout year...
you should read my post again... you would see I was complaining about... ah nevermind. just take the time to read it
Sorry, pal, but there is no emoticon in your posts. You'd better sneak back and insert one retrospectively before it's too late.

Old
08-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Sorry, pal, but there is no emoticon in your posts. You'd better sneak back and insert one retrospectively before it's too late.
don't worry, we ALL saw the sarcasm there

Quote:
If and only if one of our prospect stand out this year then I agree....

if not, sign him for a year with TO something like that...

you never know what will happens; maybe Gorges could have a disastrous season (knock on wood) or serious injuries....

You need to make sure you have decent replecement to let him go...
we have replacements, we have Tank, Henry, Carle, Bell and Anderson as call-up potential. We don't need a ''#6'' defensmen when we have players who can be alot more. It's easy to let the 5 regulars with a little more ice time and place a rookie with a certain amount of potential in there, Valentenko is 6'2, loves to hit and has a boomer of a slapper, he could be usefull to us + he'l be gaining a ton of experience with his limited role just like O'byrne last year. Cube's and Dandy's salaries could be alot more well placed imo, i mean that's almost 4 mil wasted right there

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2008, 06:32 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
don't worry, we ALL saw the sarcasm there

we have replacements, we have Tank, Henry, Carle, Bell and Anderson as call-up potential. We don't need a ''#6'' defensmen when we have players who can be alot more. It's easy to let the 5 regulars with a little more ice time and place a rookie with a certain amount of potential in there, Valentenko is 6'2, loves to hit and has a boomer of a slapper, he could be usefull to us + he'l be gaining a ton of experience with his limited role just like O'byrne last year. Cube's and Dandy's salaries could be alot more well placed imo, i mean that's almost 4 mil wasted right there
In a perfect world, you'd be right, but if one of the top 5 guys were to get injured, the Habs'd suddenly have two inexperienced guys on the ice, and if two regulars got injured... The defence could go from solid to shaky in no time. Having an extra vet around (at a reasonable price) is never a bad idea.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote