HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Do players EVER get traded right after signing a FA contract?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
  #1
Mortal Fear*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Do players EVER get traded right after signing a FA contract?

I see a ton of trade proposal threads where a team is offering to trade a player that they JUST signed to a new contract. I don't understand why these threads are made because I don't remember a single instance of a player signing as a UFA and then being traded the same offseason. Not ony is it rude and disrespectful of the team to do something like that, but it is also guaranteed to deter anybody from signing there again. Who wants to sign with a team that's going to trade them somewhere they don't want to go in a month, before they even play a single game? Boyle getting traded was the closest this has come to happening, and their credibility took a huge hit because of it. Even for RFAs this never happens, the only time I can remember is Hossa for Heatley, but those were obviously unique circumstances because Heatley wanted a trade.

So unless I'm mistaken I think we should top having trade proposals with involving newly-signed players. It doesn't make sense.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
  #2
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Visnovsky?
As you stated Boyle and I dont think it hit the credibility as much as you are saying as it was unique circumstances again.
Will think on it, as I am sure there are more that have happened past couple of years.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
  #3
IranCondraAffair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
It happens with restricted free agents sometimes, like Hossa you just mentioned. Occasionally there are guys who sign extensions to avoid free agency who are then traded

For instance theres Boyle just this year. He was essentially an future UFA for this off season who was signed to a contract he then traded in the offseason before even playing a single minute of his new contract

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:41 PM
  #4
Canuckle
West Coast Express
 
Canuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,986
vCash: 500
Tyutin is also an example.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:44 PM
  #5
The Puck
Registered User
 
The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Didn't Boyle waive his NTC to get traded? I don't think it hurt Tampa's credibility one bit.

But yeah, as you say, teams aren't trading someone right after signing them because it will deter future free agents from signing there.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
  #6
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Dany Heatley for Marian Hossa, one of them just signed then was traded.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
  #7
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,764
vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain of the Ship View Post
Didn't Boyle waive his NTC to get traded? I don't think it hurt Tampa's credibility one bit.

But yeah, as you say, teams aren't trading someone right after signing them because it will deter future free agents from signing there.
Yeah but Boyle was super pissed.

He seems to be a guy with pride, someone wants to get rid of you are you just gonna sit around and be like.."But I don't wanna! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
  #8
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,697
vCash: 500
dave scatchard from boston to phoenix.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
  #9
The Puck
Registered User
 
The Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Yeah but Boyle was super pissed.

He seems to be a guy with pride, someone wants to get rid of you are you just gonna sit around and be like.."But I don't wanna! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"
Haha, yup that's exactly what McCabe has been doing!


The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:11 PM
  #10
Parrish
Registered User
 
Parrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Decatur; Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 1,481
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I think he meant ufas not rfas.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:20 PM
  #11
Mortal Fear*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Visnovsky?
As you stated Boyle and I dont think it hit the credibility as much as you are saying as it was unique circumstances again.
Will think on it, as I am sure there are more that have happened past couple of years.
Visnovsky got a contract extension last offeason, a full year before he was traded. And even that still looks bad to a degree. Forgot about Tyutin, though he was an RFA.

I've never heard of a situation like Boyle's before where he was signed to an extension and then traded. And even that wasn't quite the same because he was signed during the regular season. It would have been even more ludicrous if he had re-signed in the offseasona and then a couple weeks later they traded him. And "Captain of the Ship", Boyle got strongarmed into waiving his NTC because Tampa threatned to put him on waivers and he would have been picked up by Atlanta. So it was a pathetic about face by them and I wouldn't be surprised of FA's don't sign there in the future.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:28 PM
  #12
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
Tyutin is also an example.
not really. he signed a contract in January then traded in July. plus he was an RFA when signed, not a UFA.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
  #13
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 63,968
vCash: 500
Amonte was sort of a case wasn't he? Phoenix signed him and traded him in the same year? I can't really remember. But right after, no, a few months, yeah.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:32 PM
  #14
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Visnovsky got a contract extension last offeason, a full year before he was traded. And even that still looks bad to a degree. Forgot about Tyutin, though he was an RFA.

I've never heard of a situation like Boyle's before where he was signed to an extension and then traded. And even that wasn't quite the same because he was signed during the regular season. It would have been even more ludicrous if he had re-signed in the offseasona and then a couple weeks later they traded him. And "Captain of the Ship", Boyle got strongarmed into waiving his NTC because Tampa threatned to put him on waivers and he would have been picked up by Atlanta. So it was a pathetic about face by them and I wouldn't be surprised of FA's don't sign there in the future.
I'm pretty sure they signed some after the Boyle trade.

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:40 PM
  #15
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,236
vCash: 500
I can think of several of players who signed as free agents by a team, but then claimed off waivers before the season started (Last year Mike Weaver was signed by Pittsburgh, but they sent him to the AHL to begin the year and he was claimed by Vancouver)

In 2003, Florida signed Jonas Hoglund, only to release him a couple weeks later when he didn't make the team.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM
  #16
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,691
vCash: 500
i dont think there has ever been a prominent case of a UFA coming from outside the org and then being traded before or early in the season.

There have been a number of instances where players have signed extensions for UFA years and then been traded (vish is most recent example).

Also a couple of sign-and-trades on RFA's. Hossa from ottawa to atlanta is the best example here.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:45 PM
  #17
Baloo
 
Baloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Would this be something what Tampa Bay is thinking right now? Try to change 3-4 players to one superstar or two top 6 guy or something like that? There is no sense really in what they are doing signing 2 full teams of players.

Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
  #18
Mortal Fear*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I'm pretty sure they signed some after the Boyle trade.
Yeah maybe a few to one-year deals like Recchi and Roberts, I forget the exact timing, but the multi-year deals to Malone, Vrbata, and Lecavalier came before.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:03 AM
  #19
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
It's really rare that UFAs who just signed to a team are traded, but there have probably been cases where the guy signs in one spot, starts thinking about it, and then asks out. I don't know if it's happened, but that would probably be the only reason a team was to trade someone who they just signed in the same summer, unless the guy has a major attitude problem that isn't publically known.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
  #20
punk_o_holic
 
punk_o_holic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: N. Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Japan
Posts: 6,949
vCash: 500
Dick Tarnstorm signed with EDM last off season. Edm traded him to Columbus during the season for Glencross.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
  #21
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.
 
Zetsyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Windsor, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,109
vCash: 500
The only time this usually happens is if it's an RFA, and the team wants to trade him. The other team requests that he be signed for a certain price, then agrees to trade whatever for him. Something like this happened in Phil Esposito's book, "Thunder and Lightning".

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 03:21 AM
  #22
Mortal Fear*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Dick Tarnstorm signed with EDM last off season. Edm traded him to Columbus during the season for Glencross.
Not the same thing at all.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:00 AM
  #23
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
None of you are getting it (to those who keep mentiong RFA's/UFA's traded in the middle of the season)

What if, right now, one team signs Shanny and than trades him like a WEEK later somewhere else

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:12 AM
  #24
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 54,816
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Not the same thing at all.

I think it is

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:19 AM
  #25
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,223
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think it is
Then the answer to this thread is "Yes", because players get traded during the season after signing new contracts all the time. Especially short-term contracts.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.