HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Do players EVER get traded right after signing a FA contract?

Old
08-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Mortal Fear*

vCash: 500
Do players EVER get traded right after signing a FA contract?

I see a ton of trade proposal threads where a team is offering to trade a player that they JUST signed to a new contract. I don't understand why these threads are made because I don't remember a single instance of a player signing as a UFA and then being traded the same offseason. Not ony is it rude and disrespectful of the team to do something like that, but it is also guaranteed to deter anybody from signing there again. Who wants to sign with a team that's going to trade them somewhere they don't want to go in a month, before they even play a single game? Boyle getting traded was the closest this has come to happening, and their credibility took a huge hit because of it. Even for RFAs this never happens, the only time I can remember is Hossa for Heatley, but those were obviously unique circumstances because Heatley wanted a trade.

So unless I'm mistaken I think we should top having trade proposals with involving newly-signed players. It doesn't make sense.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
bassassin

Visnovsky?
As you stated Boyle and I dont think it hit the credibility as much as you are saying as it was unique circumstances again.
Will think on it, as I am sure there are more that have happened past couple of years.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
IranCondraAffair

It happens with restricted free agents sometimes, like Hossa you just mentioned. Occasionally there are guys who sign extensions to avoid free agency who are then traded

For instance theres Boyle just this year. He was essentially an future UFA for this off season who was signed to a contract he then traded in the offseason before even playing a single minute of his new contract

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Tyutin is also an example.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:44 PM
The Puck

Didn't Boyle waive his NTC to get traded? I don't think it hurt Tampa's credibility one bit.

But yeah, as you say, teams aren't trading someone right after signing them because it will deter future free agents from signing there.

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
deanosaur

Dany Heatley for Marian Hossa, one of them just signed then was traded.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain of the Ship View Post
Didn't Boyle waive his NTC to get traded? I don't think it hurt Tampa's credibility one bit.

But yeah, as you say, teams aren't trading someone right after signing them because it will deter future free agents from signing there.
Yeah but Boyle was super pissed.

He seems to be a guy with pride, someone wants to get rid of you are you just gonna sit around and be like.."But I don't wanna! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 07:49 PM
neelynugs

dave scatchard from boston to phoenix.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:03 PM
The Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
Yeah but Boyle was super pissed.

He seems to be a guy with pride, someone wants to get rid of you are you just gonna sit around and be like.."But I don't wanna! YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!"
Haha, yup that's exactly what McCabe has been doing!

The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
I think he meant ufas not rfas.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Visnovsky?
As you stated Boyle and I dont think it hit the credibility as much as you are saying as it was unique circumstances again.
Will think on it, as I am sure there are more that have happened past couple of years.
Visnovsky got a contract extension last offeason, a full year before he was traded. And even that still looks bad to a degree. Forgot about Tyutin, though he was an RFA.

I've never heard of a situation like Boyle's before where he was signed to an extension and then traded. And even that wasn't quite the same because he was signed during the regular season. It would have been even more ludicrous if he had re-signed in the offseasona and then a couple weeks later they traded him. And "Captain of the Ship", Boyle got strongarmed into waiving his NTC because Tampa threatned to put him on waivers and he would have been picked up by Atlanta. So it was a pathetic about face by them and I wouldn't be surprised of FA's don't sign there in the future.

Old
08-10-2008, 09:28 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
Tyutin is also an example.
not really. he signed a contract in January then traded in July. plus he was an RFA when signed, not a UFA.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Amonte was sort of a case wasn't he? Phoenix signed him and traded him in the same year? I can't really remember. But right after, no, a few months, yeah.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Visnovsky got a contract extension last offeason, a full year before he was traded. And even that still looks bad to a degree. Forgot about Tyutin, though he was an RFA.

I've never heard of a situation like Boyle's before where he was signed to an extension and then traded. And even that wasn't quite the same because he was signed during the regular season. It would have been even more ludicrous if he had re-signed in the offseasona and then a couple weeks later they traded him. And "Captain of the Ship", Boyle got strongarmed into waiving his NTC because Tampa threatned to put him on waivers and he would have been picked up by Atlanta. So it was a pathetic about face by them and I wouldn't be surprised of FA's don't sign there in the future.
I'm pretty sure they signed some after the Boyle trade.

Rickety Cricket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

I can think of several of players who signed as free agents by a team, but then claimed off waivers before the season started (Last year Mike Weaver was signed by Pittsburgh, but they sent him to the AHL to begin the year and he was claimed by Vancouver)

In 2003, Florida signed Jonas Hoglund, only to release him a couple weeks later when he didn't make the team.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

i dont think there has ever been a prominent case of a UFA coming from outside the org and then being traded before or early in the season.

There have been a number of instances where players have signed extensions for UFA years and then been traded (vish is most recent example).

Also a couple of sign-and-trades on RFA's. Hossa from ottawa to atlanta is the best example here.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Baloo

Would this be something what Tampa Bay is thinking right now? Try to change 3-4 players to one superstar or two top 6 guy or something like that? There is no sense really in what they are doing signing 2 full teams of players.

Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I'm pretty sure they signed some after the Boyle trade.
Yeah maybe a few to one-year deals like Recchi and Roberts, I forget the exact timing, but the multi-year deals to Malone, Vrbata, and Lecavalier came before.

Old
08-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Quik
Agent 0091

It's really rare that UFAs who just signed to a team are traded, but there have probably been cases where the guy signs in one spot, starts thinking about it, and then asks out. I don't know if it's happened, but that would probably be the only reason a team was to trade someone who they just signed in the same summer, unless the guy has a major attitude problem that isn't publically known.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
punk_o_holic

Dick Tarnstorm signed with EDM last off season. Edm traded him to Columbus during the season for Glencross.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

The only time this usually happens is if it's an RFA, and the team wants to trade him. The other team requests that he be signed for a certain price, then agrees to trade whatever for him. Something like this happened in Phil Esposito's book, "Thunder and Lightning".

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Dick Tarnstorm signed with EDM last off season. Edm traded him to Columbus during the season for Glencross.
Not the same thing at all.

Old
08-11-2008, 04:00 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
None of you are getting it (to those who keep mentiong RFA's/UFA's traded in the middle of the season)

What if, right now, one team signs Shanny and than trades him like a WEEK later somewhere else

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:12 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Not the same thing at all.

I think it is

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 04:19 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think it is
Then the answer to this thread is "Yes", because players get traded during the season after signing new contracts all the time. Especially short-term contracts.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote