HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Do players EVER get traded right after signing a FA contract?

Old
08-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Mortal Fear*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
None of you are getting it (to those who keep mentiong RFA's/UFA's traded in the middle of the season)

What if, right now, one team signs Shanny and than trades him like a WEEK later somewhere else
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think it is
Wrong.

Mortal Fear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Crossbar

Does this count? I remember the Panthers signing Sven Butenschon (player outside of the organization) on Jul-09-02 and then the Isles traded Juraj Kolnik and a 9th rounder for him on Oct-11-02, just before the start of the season. Sven never made his Panther debut.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Dr Quincy

As Neely Nugs said, Scatchard from Boston to Phoenix.

He signed with Boston in the offseason, played 16 games and was traded to Phoenix on Nov. 18 for Tanabe.

Dr Quincy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 08:19 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont think there has ever been a prominent case of a UFA coming from outside the org and then being traded before or early in the season. Scatchard is as close as it gets, and that was more than a month into the season.

There have been a number of instances where players have signed extensions for UFA years and then been traded (vish is most recent example).

Also a couple of sign-and-trades on RFA's. Hossa from ottawa to atlanta is the best example here.
READ THIS - and continue in this line of thought. This is what the OP is talking about.

08-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Realm

Ray Bourque, he only played like 18 seasons with Boston and then was traded does that count? J/K of course. Come on people, they are talking about being traded in the 1st few weeks of signing a deal.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

It wouldn't be a smart move for a team to make, unless the proposal was insane. Signing UFA's and then dealing them before the season even begins makes the team a much less attractive UFA destination.

08-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
Does this count? I remember the Panthers signing Sven Butenschon (player outside of the organization) on Jul-09-02 and then the Isles traded Juraj Kolnik and a 9th rounder for him on Oct-11-02, just before the start of the season. Sven never made his Panther debut.
Wow, good one. I guess it flew under the radar because he was a minor player that few knew/cared about

Old
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Wrong.
Maybe you should have given the time frame you were looking for instead of being an ass to everyone who's trying to help.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Maybe you should have given the time frame you were looking for instead of being an ass to everyone who's trying to help.
I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Dick Tarnstorm signed with EDM last off season. Edm traded him to Columbus during the season for Glencross.
Quote:
Not the same thing at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think it is
Anybody with a modicum of intelligence should be able to recognize the difference between a midseason trade, and a trade the SAME OFFSEASON as the player was signed.

Old
08-11-2008, 10:15 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
I did.

Anybody with a modicum of intelligence should be able to recognize the difference between a midseason trade, and a trade the SAME OFFSEASON as the player was signed.
sorry, I saw some guys mention Scatchard and Amonte as a example so I thought the thread said(I didn't really read it, just skimmed through it), " a plyer signing then getting traded in the same season that he signed. I re read the topic and understand that you meant, a player signing and getting traded before he got a chance to play for the team he just signed with.

I would think even getting traded half way into the season is disrespectful. I don't think a team is stupid enough to sign someone then trade him soon after. You would think it would be in the CBA. What if a crappy team wanted player A but he didn't want to go there because the team sucks. So a great team, who doesn't want him signs him to a contract(the same contract that the crappy team offered). The player thinks the team wants his services and that is why he signed with them. Then the great team trades him to the crappy team for picks/prospects. You would think that would be BANNED by the NHL.

NOT THE SAME but it's like the Islanders hiring Neil Smith and then firing him soon after before he got a chance.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 08-11-2008 at 10:30 PM.
punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Zetsyuk
Farewell Nick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
None of you are getting it (to those who keep mentiong RFA's/UFA's traded in the middle of the season)

What if, right now, one team signs Shanny and than trades him like a WEEK later somewhere else
First off, I'd be ridiculously angry.

I get what you mean now. I guess it doesn't happen much, unless some expected offer from a team comes up that you couldn't possibly deny, and it includes the previously signed player.

Zetsyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Zomg Leet

You just don't see much anymore. I do that all the time in NHL08, though.

Zomg Leet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Mortal Fear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
sorry, I saw some guys mention Scatchard and Amonte as a example so I thought the thread said(I didn't really read it, just skimmed through it), " a plyer signing then getting traded in the same season that he signed. I re read the topic and understand that you meant, a player signing and getting traded before he got a chance to play for the team he just signed with.

I would think even getting traded half way into the season is disrespectful. I don't think a team is stupid enough to sign someone then trade him soon after. You would think it would be in the CBA. What if a crappy team wanted player A but he didn't want to go there because the team sucks. So a great team, who doesn't want him signs him to a contract(the same contract that the crappy team offered). The player thinks the team wants his services and that is why he signed with them. Then the great team trades him to the crappy team for picks/prospects. You would think that would be BANNED by the NHL.

NOT THE SAME but it's like the Islanders hiring Neil Smith and then firing him soon after before he got a chance.
Yes trading someone halfway through a season is kind of low especially if it's a multi-year deal, unless the player is sucking hard. But trading him the same offseason as signing him is even worse, it just looks both mean and retarded.

The Islanders are obviously a joke, at least their owner is. Neil Smith quit I think because he signed to be a regular GM with some autonomy, and Charles Wang's idea of a GM is someone who just does the paperwork adn lets him make all the decisions.