HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Joining Ice Hockey ..Need help

Old
08-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

vCash: 500
Joining Ice Hockey ..Need help

Ok ..I am going to be playing my first year of ice hockey. I would like to know how much the whole equipment costs for a player..I dont want anything too fancy ..low end stuff will do.. i need to know fast because registration ends aug 19 and can someone also list all the items you need for ice hockey .. BTW im 15 and am completely lost as to what i should buy.

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson View Post
Ok ..I am going to be playing my first year of ice hockey. I would like to know how much the whole equipment costs for a player..I dont want anything too fancy ..low end stuff will do.. i need to know fast because registration ends aug 19 and can someone also list all the items you need for ice hockey .. BTW im 15 and am completely lost as to what i should buy.
It varies... try Play it Again Sports, or some of the smaller stores. I'm sure you could find a place with really old gear for pretty cheap.

I think I spend about $400 to $600 on my gear.

Oh, and good luck! I started playing when I was 14... just keep working hard, don't get discouraged, and before you know it you'll be scoring with the best of them!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:09 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Alright, I'll give this a go. Haha.

(Prices listed are only ballpark figures...every store will be different.)

-Skates : $150 to $200 should get you a decent entry level skate like the Bauer Vapor XVI.

-Shin Pads: $35 to $50

-Jock: $30

-Pants: $50 to $75

-Shoulder Pads: $45 to $60

-Elbow Pads: $30 to $45

-Helmet & cage/visor: Look for a combo (ie: a helmet with a cage). It'll save you a few bucks, and the hassle of installing a cage. ~$100

-Gloves: $60 to $75

-Stick: $35 to $40...start with wood, no need for a composite stick at this point.

-Bag: $45 to $60

Optional, depending on league rules:
-neck guard : $15 to $30
-mouth guard : as cheap as $10, but those are...cheap.

If you are buying things all at once, don't be afraid to ask for a discount. You shouldn't even have to ask...the clerk helping you should be considerate of your situation and give you a bit of a discount, since you're buying so much stuff.

Most importantly, don't rush it. Try a whole lot of stuff on, to make sure you get the right piece of equipment. You will be spending a lot of money, so you might as well spend it wisely. Be ready to spend a considerate amount of time in the store. If you're getting outfitted from head to toe, you could easily spend a couple hours in the store, so avoid meetings, deadlines or appointments for that afternoon. You don't want to rush things because "you're supposed to meet up with a friend at 3:00."

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Thanks.. that site helped alot. I specifically got a job to get enough money to join ice hockey. The registration is fee is 500$ =( plus the equipment wich will probably cost 300$ ohhh man..

Old
08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Alright, I'll give this a go. Haha.

(Prices listed are only ballpark figures...every store will be different.)

-Skates : $150 to $200 should get you a decent entry level skate like the Bauer Vapor XVI.

-Shin Pads: $35 to $50

-Jock: $30

-Pants: $50 to $75

-Shoulder Pads: $45 to $60

-Elbow Pads: $30 to $45

-Helmet & cage/visor: Look for a combo (ie: a helmet with a cage). It'll save you a few bucks, and the hassle of installing a cage. ~$100

-Gloves: $60 to $75

-Stick: $35 to $40...start with wood, no need for a composite stick at this point.

-Bag: $45 to $60

Optional, depending on league rules:
-neck guard : $15 to $30
-mouth guard : as cheap as $10, but those are...cheap.

If you are buying things all at once, don't be afraid to ask for a discount. You shouldn't even have to ask...the clerk helping you should be considerate of your situation and give you a bit of a discount, since you're buying so much stuff.

Most importantly, don't rush it. Try a whole lot of stuff on, to make sure you get the right piece of equipment. You will be spending a lot of money, so you might as well spend it wisely. Be ready to spend a considerate amount of time in the store. If you're getting outfitted from head to toe, you'll could easily spend a couple hours in the store, so avoid meetings, deadlines or appointments for that afternoon. You don't want to rush things because "you're supposed to meet up with a friend at 3:00."
Thanks that was helpfull. Now i got a list and estimated prices...Do you guys recomend any store thats good with all the fitting and stuff? Canadian Tire , Sportcheck?

Old
08-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...QAdIdZ67394715

I found those Bauer Skates you listed for 90$ =D on Kijiji. I think i might buy those.

Old
08-10-2008, 09:22 PM
vexXed

Getting skates that fit you is key. Do NOT get skates because they look the shizz - everyone has different shaped feet and skate manufacturers besides Graf seem to think that everyone has the same shaped feet. Make sure you take your arch, instep, foot width as well as length in to consideration. Your toes should be just touching the end of your skates when you put them on, or just shy of touching.

I skated in skates too big for me for 5 years and developed a lot of bad habits as a result. Check out www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/ for more info, they will help you out.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
AHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson View Post
Thanks that was helpfull. Now i got a list and estimated prices...Do you guys recomend any store thats good with all the fitting and stuff? Canadian Tire , Sportcheck?
Hehe. Avoid Canadian Tire at all cost. Don't even consider it if you want to be fitted properly. You'll end up getting helped by a 14yr old that doesn't want to be there/that can't wait for his shift to end.

...and the guy in question probably doesn't even play hockey.

That's not the type of help you need.

(I know I'm generalizing, but chances are that's what you'll get.)

...and I'd be silly not to plug my store here, given you are in Edmonton...

Cyclone Taylor Sports, in West Edmonton...in the same lot as the Best Buy on Stony Plain Rd.

Old
08-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
Getting skates that fit you is key. Do NOT get skates because they look the shizz - everyone has different shaped feet and skate manufacturers besides Graf seem to think that everyone has the same shaped feet. Make sure you take your arch, instep, foot width as well as length in to consideration. Your toes should be just touching the end of your skates when you put them on, or just shy of touching.

I skated in skates too big for me for 5 years and developed a lot of bad habits as a result. Check out www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/ for more info, they will help you out.
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=15228

These look like a very good pair... Also it says its heat moldable. Im geussing that it would most likely fit my foot?

Old
08-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Elshupacabra

$300 is a pretty good ballpark number. I spent $240 on my stuff only a few weeks ago and I already had a pair of skates. So factor in the skates and your floating around the $300 mark, depending on how fancy you want to get.

Elshupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:04 PM
deanosaur

Wouldn't it be easier just to go like Sportchek and buy one of every piece of equipment?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:06 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
Hehe. Avoid Canadian Tire at all cost. Don't even consider it if you want to be fitted properly. You'll end up getting helped by a 14yr old that doesn't want to be there/that can't wait for his shift to end.

...and the guy in question probably doesn't even play hockey.

That's not the type of help you need.

(I know I'm generalizing, but chances are that's what you'll get.)

...and I'd be silly not to plug my store here, given you are in Edmonton...

Cyclone Taylor Sports, in West Edmonton...in the same lot as the Best Buy on Stony Plain Rd.
Dude.. that place is awful. Well compared to what I'm used to it is anyways, they might as well be called the Nike store everything is Bauer-Nike. I almost got a job there till I checked out the store and saw what it was all about, then I said no.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
AHF

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Dude.. that place is awful.
Thanks.

Got anything else nice to say?

Old
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
mikeylikey

Do some shopping around. Go to every place in your area that might sell new or used hockey stuff.

I think I did pretty damn good with my equipment. Here's a breakdown of what I got / what I spent. Specific model names escape my mind at the moment...

Pants - NEW Bauer from Play It Again Sports for $40

Shoulder Pads - used CCM Powerline from Play It Again (looks like they're from the early 90's!) for $8

Elbow Pads - Used Eastons from Play It Again for $10

Skates - Used CCM's from Play It Again for $30

Shin Guards - Used RBK from Play It Again for $15

Gloves - Used Tour from Play It Again for $15

Helmet - Used Bauer from Play It Again for $18

Sticks - Used Easton Ultra Carbon shaft w/ (looks like) new Iginla blade for $15 (this was an absolute STEAL!)
- New CCM Vector one piece stick for $60 from my rink's pro shop

Jock - Shock Doctor jock w/ velcro for $25

I already had a few jerseys laying around...so, I spent less than $200 on new / used equipment that was in excellent condition. There are 5 Play It Again's in my area...and aside from the gas costs, I'd say I did pretty good!

The key is...just keep looking around. Don't buy the first thing you see. Don't get something just to get it. Make sure it's right for you!

mikeylikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
noobman

You can skimp on EVERYTHING... but don't skimp on the skates. They're the single most important piece of equipment you have.

You won't have any fun on the ice if you don't have proper fitting skates, because they'll mess up your skating. Your feet will hurt if your skates are too small, and you'll probably get corns/blisters, or possibly snap something if your skates are too big.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
Do some shopping around. Go to every place in your area that might sell new or used hockey stuff.

I think I did pretty damn good with my equipment. Here's a breakdown of what I got / what I spent. Specific model names escape my mind at the moment...

Pants - NEW Bauer from Play It Again Sports for $40

Shoulder Pads - used CCM Powerline from Play It Again (looks like they're from the early 90's!) for $8

Elbow Pads - Used Eastons from Play It Again for $10

Skates - Used CCM's from Play It Again for $30

Shin Guards - Used RBK from Play It Again for $15

Gloves - Used Tour from Play It Again for $15

Helmet - Used Bauer from Play It Again for $18

Sticks - Used Easton Ultra Carbon shaft w/ (looks like) new Iginla blade for $15 (this was an absolute STEAL!)
- New CCM Vector one piece stick for $60 from my rink's pro shop

Jock - Shock Doctor jock w/ velcro for $25

I already had a few jerseys laying around...so, I spent less than $200 on new / used equipment that was in excellent condition. There are 5 Play It Again's in my area...and aside from the gas costs, I'd say I did pretty good!

The key is...just keep looking around. Don't buy the first thing you see. Don't get something just to get it. Make sure it's right for you!
Wow im definitely going to be visiting Play it again!

Old
08-10-2008, 11:50 PM
AFSabresFan

I just got started playing last winter. I went to the closest hockey store and tried everything on to get the right sizes. Then I checked ebay for a lot of stuff. I bought my skates from the store, but everything else I either bought on clearance from the store or on ebay. As long as you know your sizes ahead of time, ebay is a great resource. It saved me quite a bit of money...but then again, the closest Play It Again is 3 hours away and my job doesn't allow that kind of travel very often.

AFSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 11:09 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
I had to do this just about a year ago, though budget wasn't nearly as much of a concern for me. I got a pair of shoulder pads off a friend, got the right gloves, helmet, and eventually skates, the rest was 'good enough', but I've since replaced some of them with a focus on safety.

Just some advice as a fellow beginner, here's some things to keep in mind while trying stuff on:

shin pads - rear protection. Take note of how much your shin pads are covering. Anyone should provide adequate protection on the front, but on the sides and back it varies a lot. I suppose the less bulk could be nice but keep in mind if you do that and take the puck off the back of the leg it can hurt like hell. If you want protection the RBK 5K series shin pads are great, though they're $100 regular so you'll want to shop around

chest protector - be sure to try these on with the elbow pads and pants, to make sure they don't conflict with each other. And much like shin pads, the chest protectors come in a lot of size varieties. You don't really need the heavy duty body armour, but at the very least should try to make sure the front chest part comes down to the top of the pants. You don't have to off course, but again you risk taking a puck to an unprotected part of your body.

Those are my suggestions anyways, I didn't do either to start after some warning shots, a bouncing pass to the back of the leg and a clearing attempt to the chest, decided to upgrade before I took a real shot in one of those areas.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2008, 11:49 PM
MerryJ99

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Dude.. that place is awful. Well compared to what I'm used to it is anyways, they might as well be called the Nike store everything is Bauer-Nike. I almost got a job there till I checked out the store and saw what it was all about, then I said no.
I think it is a great place to buy...no waiting for 2 hours like you do at pro skate and no 1 hour line up to pay like united cycle and you still get qualified staff to help you unlike CT.

Not too expensive either.

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
You can skimp on EVERYTHING... but don't skimp on the skates. They're the single most important piece of equipment you have.
I would add that the helmet is equally, if not more, important. Make sure the helmet is a good one that fits well. Do not skimp on head protection. You don't want to end up being a guy who has to wear a hockey helmet even when he's NOT on the ice.

The third-most important piece of equipment in my opinion is elbow pads, especially for a beginner who is going to fall a lot and land on mostly his elbows. Make sure the elbow pads fit well. Elbow pads that have slid down or turned around when you fall aren't going to help, no matter how protective they are. It is easy to break an elbow that way, which is something you definitely do not want to do.

In general, if deciding between a less protective piece of gear that fits well and more protective gear that doesn't fit as well, go for the fit. Regardless of how protective a piece of equipment is, it can't do its job if it does not fit you properly.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

I agree. Go cheap on everything BUT skates and helmet. I just saw a guy get a concussion from an unintentional slewfoot and he was wearing a REALLY old Jofa helm that probably wouldn't even get close to HECC certification.

You can go cheap on everything including elbows, but do make sure they fit right so they are doing the job.

Definitely go cheap on a stick by the way. As in get a wood stick. I'm a fan of this for beginners because I find they force a shooter to have good technique to let off a good shot, whereas you can get away with being sloppy using a composite. First develop good technique, then reward yourself with a comp.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Definitely go cheap on a stick by the way. As in get a wood stick. I'm a fan of this for beginners because I find they force a shooter to have good technique to let off a good shot, whereas you can get away with being sloppy using a composite. First develop good technique, then reward yourself with a comp.
Yeah, you also need to figure out which stick type works best for you. I have a few lightly used wood sticks sitting in my closet because they didn't work well for me when I actually took them on the ice. Usually either the problem with the lie or the curve. Though it sucks for me because I've settled on a KOHO Torpedo with a Jagr curve, but they don't make that stick anymore and none of the other brands use that curve

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 01:52 PM
GOONSQUAD

Send a message via AIM to GOONSQUAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post

You won't have any fun on the ice if you don't have proper fitting skates, because they'll mess up your skating. Your feet will hurt if your skates are too small, and you'll probably get corns/blisters, or possibly snap something if your skates are too big.
The skates will hurt your feet and ankles if they are not properly fitted, for example too small or large, or narrow and wide. Spend some time trying on skates with someone that is knowledgeable. just because it costs a lot does not mean its the right skate boot for you.

GOONSQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
rk50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Yeah, you also need to figure out which stick type works best for you. I have a few lightly used wood sticks sitting in my closet because they didn't work well for me when I actually took them on the ice. Usually either the problem with the lie or the curve. Though it sucks for me because I've settled on a KOHO Torpedo with a Jagr curve, but they don't make that stick anymore and none of the other brands use that curve

I used to use a Jagr curve too... I switched to the Bouchard from Sherwood. It's Heel-Deep-Closed just like the Jagr.

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Try the TPS Tkachuk curve. Or the Easton Gaborik.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote